Chapter 34

My feet slipped clumsily into my shoes as I hurried to get ready. "Come on Blue, we're going to be late!" Buck called out.

"Coming Dad!"

I slipped on the suit jacket and grabbed my tie, stumbling out of my room. Buck laughed as I crashed into him, entirely too excited to notice where he was stood.

"I don't think I'll ever stop loving you say that." He hummed sweetly, gently brushing my wild curls.

A giddy grin stretched across my face as I nudged past him, leading the way to the kitchen. Chris was helping Eddie dish out breakfast and they both turned to greet me.

"Morning Coop!"

"Hey kiddo."

My grin stretched wider as I snatched a bit of bacon from Eddie's plate, "Morning Chris, Papa." I said around a mouthful of bacon. The older flicked my ear teasingly, causing both Chris and I to laugh.

We didn't waste much time on breakfast, since we were definitely running late now. Thankfully, we were only driving to the firehouse.

All four of us were dressed in formal suits, which had been purchased specially for today. Mine was a dark blue, to match both my eyes and my nickname, whilst the others had various blues or blacks.

When we arrived at the firehouse, I was the first one out of the car. Buck and Eddie were laughing at my antics, but I didn't mind. Today was a great day, why wouldn't I be happy?

I gave Chris a ride on my back as we entered the building, running around to make him giggle. The team all smiled fondly upon seeing us arrive. They were all dressed in formalwear too. Athena looked especially spectacular in their dresses.

"Someone's excited." Athena teased.

Bobby left her side and grabbed the tie that was still left hanging out of my blazer pocket. Chris went over to Chim immediately, allowing me to have a little moment with the Captain.

"How're you feeling?" He asked sincerely. My smile felt as if it was never leaving my lips as I gazed up at the man.

"I'm good Bobby. Really good." I mumbled. He nodded, as if relieved at my answer, and patted the collar of my shirt down.

My gaze drifted across the group of people as I reminded myself the role they all played in my life. Chim and Hen were the cool uncle and auntie I always wanted. Bobby and Athena cared for me like grandparents should, even if Athena hated the thought of being old. Then there's Chris, my little brother and best friend. I couldn't have gotten a better one.

Finally, Buck and Eddie. The parents I thought I'd never have. They fell into the place so naturally and it felt as if they had loved me all my life- like a puzzle finally finding its final piece. Besides, Eddie took on the mother-hen role very well.

"Everyone's sat down and the papers are with the man. It's all up to you now." Bobby explained to my parents. The pair nodded, thanking the man for all of his help.

It was a small affair. The firehouse family, including everyone's spouses and kids, were gathered here today. Some of Eddie's family had turned up and Buck had Maddie here. Even Willow and Poppy had closed the cafe for the day to be here for me.

I peeked out from behind the firetruck and watched as everyone had taken their seats. Chris was at the front with Bobby, Athena, Hen and Chim. I insisted Chris could stand at the front with us, but Eddie insisted that he wanted me to have this moment for myself.

A hand gently rested on my shoulder and I turned back to the pair, "Remember it's not late if you feel like you need some more time. We want to make sure this is on your terms." Eddie explained softly.

I rolled my eyes at his worrying and leaned forward for them to hug me. "I'm sure Papa. You guys are my parents anyway, right?" They nodded instantly and I relaxed.

Both of them rested their hands on my shoulder and guided me forward into the eyeline of everyone. A table sat at the front of the room with a man just behind it. I eyed the papers curiously, trying to understand all of the legal terms.

"Are we ready to get this show on the road?" The man smiled kindly, pulling out a pen.

We all gathered in a gentle silence as the man talked over what Buck and Eddie had to sign. "Cooper Reed, do you want these two men as your legal parents?" He asked out of formality. I murmured out various agreements with no hesitance in my tone.

"And you both agree to take care of Cooper?" The pair nodded at the statement, signing the paper off quickly.

The man shuffled through the papers and I moved from foot-to-foot anxiously. "Sign here." Buck and Eddie immediately reached forward to scribble their signatures.

A moment of silence hung in the air before the man stood up and placed the papers in his briefcase.

"On this day, the state of California accepts Evan Buckley-Diaz and Edmundo Buckey-Diaz's application for adoption of Cooper Reed. From this day onwards, the child in question will now be legally known as Cooper Buckley-Diaz. Congratulations." The man stated.

A wave of euphoria washed over me as I looked up at my parents- my legal parents. Cheers erupted from behind us as the pair pulled me into a tight hug filled with laughter and happy tears.

Chris was pulled into the hug soon after and we held our family close. We thanked the court official for his time and went over to celebrate with our big family.

I beelined for Willow and Poppy, noticing their teary smiles. The pair pulled me into a tight hug as soon as I was close enough, then began congratulating me.

"I couldn't have done it without you." I said earnestly. They waved me off, accepting my thanks with humble gratitude.

Everyone came up to me to offer their love and congratulations, most of them welcoming me to the large firehouse family.

My body didn't tense as I was swept up into hug after hug and the occasional hair tussle. In fact, I relaxed in the happy atmosphere and relished in the family celebration.

Chim, of course, decided to bend down and sweep me on to his shoulders. I laughed loudly, allowing him to parade me around like the fun uncle he was.

"Don't injure him already Chim!" Hen exclaimed, reaching a hand up to hold mine tightly. He let me down soon after and the pair swept me up into a tight hug again.

Eventually, I made it back round to my parents. They were talking with Bobby and Athena with Chris stood in on the conversation too. My head bumped into Buck's arm as I announced my presence.

Buck reached over and pulled me into a gentle headlock, ruffling my hair too. We all laughed as I tried to elbow him off me. I tried to pretend to be mad, but my smile wouldn't leave my face.

My name is Cooper Buckley-Diaz.

I have a family.

—————————————————————————

It's a repetitive and short chapter, but I just wanted it to be filled with laughter and love. I hope this last chapter rounded the story out well and that you all enjoyed it.

Throughout this book I've said many thank you's to you guys, but I'll say one more.

Sincerely, thank you. Never would have I imagined this book would get the response it did and I never even thought I'd actually finish a story. But, a prologue and 34 chapters later, we made it!

This story would not have been what it is without you guys, so thank you. Your support and comments have been greatly appreciated.

I'm going to take a break from writing for a bit, but let me know what other fandoms you guys are into! I've got a couple ideas for stories about Grey's Anatomy, the Marvel Universe or the WWE Universe. There is an F1 story on AO3 that I've written if you're interested. It's called 'Grid Kids Get A Brother' by the name Frupe (which is me). But, if you have any other fandom suggestions, I'll have a look!

Wishing you all the best,

Author.