Chapter 30

A steady beep sounded from the machine beside me and I stirred from my sleep. I had lost count of how many times I had been in the hospital by now, so this feeling was nothing new.

With a groggy groan, I opened my eyes up and glanced around the room. It was small and looked like a typical hospital room, apart from the armchair that had been moved into the room.

The armchair didn't look very comfortable, so I was surprised to see Eddie spread out on top of it. He was still asleep and I was partly grateful for the moment of peace.

Had he waited here with me the whole time?

My eyes drew down to my leg, feeling it stiffen up from the lack of movement. It was in a cast, stretching all the way up to just above my knee. A small smile reached my lips when I noticed it was coloured blue, which I knew Buck would've chosen.

I spent a few minutes stretching my limbs, trying to shake off the ache in my bones. The IV in my hand was clearly pumping some painkillers into my body, since I was only mildly sore.

Slowly, I moved my legs over the side of the bed and I stretched out my back too. Would it be smart to try and walk? Probably not. But, I never claimed it be an intelligent kid.

A sleepy grumble stopped me from sliding down the side of the bed, which was probably for the best. I glanced over at Eddie, watching as his eyes  began to peel open.

It took him all of two seconds to notice I was awake, before he leapt off of the armchair. "Woah easy there Cooper, why don't you just lie back down for me?" He asked. I rolled my eyes dramatically and shuffled back against the pillows.

Eddie reached his hands around to help me get comfortable and I was slightly confused by all of his fussing. "I-I'm fine." I croaked out, realising how dry my throat was.

Immediately, a plastic cup of water was held in front of my face and I almost flinched back. I murmured a thank you, sipping at the icy drink. It felt soothing against my sore throat and, despite his fussing, I appreciated Eddie helping.

"How long was I out?"

"Almost a full day. But the doctor said you're going to make a full recovery." I nodded at his explanation, looking down at my lap.

A sense of guilt was gnawing at my stomach and I couldn't shake the feeling. "How are Chris and Carla? Are they okay?" I questioned. I risked a glance at the man, only to see a fond smile on his face.

"Yeah they're okay. Chris had to have some stitches on his shoulder and he's got some bruises, but he's good. Carla's shaken up, but physically fine. She wasn't on the part of the bridge that collapsed." Eddie explained.

I ducked my head lower and blew out a sigh of relief. That was good. "I'm sorry." I whispered, almost too scared to say the words.

The room suddenly felt ten times smaller and I tried to take a deep breath to soothe the ache in my lungs. Eddie leaned down to try and catch my eye line, but I refused to look up.

"Coop, what's the sorry for?" The softness of his tone almost brought tears to my eyes. How could he be so understanding when I messed up?

"Chris got hurt-" I choked on a sob, "A-And I tried to help, but I couldn't move. I-I'm sorry."Eddie softly shushed me and another choked noise left my lips.

A pair of arms carefully wrapped themselves around me, being mindful of my injuries. I couldn't help but lean into his chest. My confusion hit me quick, wondering why I was getting this treatment.

"No buddy.. You saved Chris. Anyone else would've given up, but not you. Not only did you fight for Chris, but you fought for yourself too. I am so proud of you, okay? What happened will never be your fault." Eddie whispered softly and I allowed myself to have a moment to cry.