The Birlas' - IKSHANA

By man1sh0

This is Part - 1 of a story that traces the life and journey of Dr.Abhimanyu Birla and his family through dif... More

DISCLAIMER
ACKNOWLEDGEMENT
INTRODUCING THE BIRLA CLAN
INTRODUCING OTHER MAJOR CHARACTERS
PROLOGUE
Chapter - 1: Your Reputation Precedes You
Chapter - 2: Honesty Is The Best Policy
Chapter - 3: Essence Of Gratitude
Chapter - 4: Forbidden Emotions
Chapter 5: When Nothing Stays The Same, Let Nothing Change You
Chapter-6: Confessions, Confrontations And Conversations
Chapter 7: Healing Has Just Begun
Chapter - 8: Fair Warning
INTRODUCING THE NANDAS'
Chapter - 10: Some Scars Run Deep
Chapter 11: Past Comes Back To Haunt
Chapter - 12: ROOH
Chapter - 13: Moving On
Chapter 14: Akshara Sharma Is Back
INTRODUCING THE SHARMAS'
Chapter - 15: Sabotage
Chapter 16: Past Mistakes
Chapter - 17: Forgiveness
Chapter - 18: It's Show Time
Chapter - 19: Rooh! The Rockstar
Chapter - 20: It's The Time To Disco
Chapter - 21: Retrospection
INTRODUCING THE SAXENAS'
Chapter- 22: Blast From The Past
Chapter-23: Repentance
Chapter-24: Impact
Chapter - 25 : The Sisters
EPILOGUE
NEXT BOOK!!!

Chapter-9: Extended Family

624 42 50
By man1sh0

At SVM:

The drive to the college was very entertaining. Abhir and Abhimanyu grooved to their favourite music with full energy. The moment they realized, they reached the college, disappointment flashed on their faces. But they sighed and complained how unfair life was to them for ruining their moment but moved on when Roohi came into sight. Abhir rushed out while Abhimanyu parked the car. Roohi had just sent Soha away assuring her that she will soon join her.

She has been waiting for 15 minutes now, she didn't want her friend to wait and be late because of her. Abhir and Roohi hugged each other as if they have met after God knows how many weeks. Abhimanyu smiled at his children from distance and captured the moment in his mobile. Such candid pictures capture real emotions and they are the best memories one can collect. He would cherish all these beautiful memories with the happy faces forever.

Abhimanyu saw Roohi whacking Abhir and he instantly knew that his kid told her everything that happened in the morning. That's how they were. Just can't keep things from each other. As soon as Roohi saw Abhimanyu, she first hugged him tight and then started complaining,

"Poppy! Yeh mera Bhai itna stupid kaise hain? Sab college mein isko mysterious bolte hain, they want to know him and be like him but yeh kaam saare budhu wale karta hain" she whacked him again.

"Di! Maine aapse share kiya aur aap mera hi mazaak uda rahe ho. Get lost. Mujhe nahi baat karni aapse." Abhir said and swatted her hand away. Roohi chuckled. 

"Aree! Kabhi kabhi toh tu chance deta hai mujhe aise chidane ka warna toh tu perfectionist hai. Har baar toh mujhe hi tujhe phasane keliye mehnat karni padti hai. Aaj tune khud se bewakoofi ki. Main toh celebrate karungi" she teased him. 

"Bas karo Ru! Kyun pareshan kar rahe ho aap ise?" Abhimanyu tried to interject. 

"Poppy aap! Aapne ise aise hi jane diya? Main hoti toh kitna gussa hote aap. Mujhe ek din toh lag hi jaata aapko manane mein. Yeh unfair hain. Use aapne sirf weight training se ban kiya hai. Aap partiality kar rahe ho" she stomped her feet and complained rather cutely. 

Abhir was stunned. Only his Di can flip the situation and make it all about herself. She was pleading unfairness and was demanding justice. He looked at his father worriedly. He didn't want to miss gym completely but if his father changed his decision, he would have to abide by that willingly or not. Abhimanyu looked at his kids' faces and shook his head in disbelief. One was fooling around while the other fell for the act and looked too worried.

Abhimanyu slowly pulled Roohi closer and gently tugged both her cheeks with his palms and while playfully squeezing them said,

"Acha bachu! Main partiality karta hoon. Yeh toh zyaakthi hai na aapke saath! Ek kaam karo is baar aap iski punishment decide karo" Abhir's eyes widened while Roohi had a mischievous grin on her face. But that didn't stay for long because Abhimanyu's next words put her in a spot. 

"Next time aap kuch karoge toh Abhir aapki punishment decide karega. Fair deal. What say?" Abhir was enjoying this conversation now, his worry long gone. His father was too good. He knew exactly what to say when to his children.

Abhimanyu gave a small kiss on her forehead and left her cheeks. She pouted. She could never win against her father in words. He was always too sharp to fall for her antiques. Abhimanyu smiled and hugged both his children. They were his lifelines in the truest sense. They gave him the hope and motivation to get back at challenges and stand strong. They actually saved him from absolute misery and gave him a reason to smile and rebuild. He would do absolutely anything for them.

He pulled back and looked at them giving each other looks which promised retaliation. He sucked his smile in and sternly warned them.

"Don't you both dare think of settling scores behind my back. I want no more complaints. Be good to each other and move on. This topic is over" They nodded immediately. Abhimanyu had to struggle to keep himself from laughing at their cute faces.

He turned towards Roohi and said, "Ru! If you see anyone troubling Abhir, you will stand up for him and you will inform me. Okay?" Roohi understood the seriousness of the matter and responded quickly.

"Ofcourse Poppy! I will be mindful" Abhimanyu lovingly caressed her head and looked at Abhir.

"Agar koi bhi problem hai, kisine pareshan kiya ya you feel like you need to confide or vent out, aapki Di yahi hain. Go find her first. You will feel better" he spoke in a tone full of concern. Roohi nudged Abhir and he nodded giving her a side hug. 

They are a team and they need to remember that. That's his father's way of reminding them without making it obvious. They shared a look with each other and smiled for their father. They were indeed super lucky to have him. They said their goodbyes and rushed for their classes. Abhimanyu waited there till he could not see them anymore and then left for the hospital. He also dropped in a thank you message to Mrs.Dixit for taking good care of Roohi. 

She very courteously replied - She is a very sweet girl Mr.Birla. It is our pleasure to have her around. That made him feel so happy and so proud of his baby, once again. He replied - That she is. Thank you for feeling the same. Looking foward to having Soha for a night out whenever they plan next. He got a quick reply -Sure thing Mr.Birla. Soha loves spending time there. Soha is a very sweet girl, a lovely friend to have for his Ru. He adored their friendship and wished for Abhir to find a true friend soon.

At Birla Hospital:

The moment he entered the hospital, he was informed that Dr.Rohan was waiting for him in his cabin. He looked for Dr.Anahita and was enquiring about her whereabouts when she walked in.

"Bhai! Main aap hi ka wait kar rahi thi. Woh gadha Rohan aaya hai milne. Usse aap baad mein mil lena, mujhe aapse kuch important discuss karna hai" she spoke in a not so low volume without a pause.

Abhimanyu gave her a pointed look while eyeing the surroundings, making her shrug in realization. He walked towards the conference room and she followed. As soon as they entered, Abhimanyu glared her down. 

She looked down and said "Sorry Bhai! Woh aadat se majboor..." 

She would have continued to justify if she didn't notice Abhimanyu's glare as she peeked at him. She stopped and corrected herself, "Sorry Bhai! I should have considered the surroundings" but didn't dare to look up. 

Abhimanyu shook his head and spoke in a softer tone, "Anu! Rohan second in command hai. He is your senior here. You can't take such liberties in front of staff. Kitni baar samjhana padega tumhe?" he scolded her. She wasn't looking at him at all.

"Ab floor mein kya dhoondh rahi ho? Look at me. Kuch baat karni thi na tumhe?" he asked her in a casual tone, his anger long gone. Anahita looked up and saw that he wasn't glaring her now, she relaxed. 

"Bhai! Rohan ne mujhe bataya ki Harsh Uncle, Birla Hospital join karnewale hai as a CEO. Yeh idea us idiot...I mean Rohan ne diya aapko. Aapko koi zarurat nahi hai maan ne ki. Uski baat ko seriously mat lo aap. You think about yourself for once Bhai" She poured out her concern. 

He was taken aback by the care she had for his feelings. He had to thank his stars for giving him juniors like Rohan and Anahita, who are loyal to a fault.

Their journey in Birla Hospital started as interns but they became his pillars in the time of need. Rohan had won his trust long back when he stood by him through the phase where he had to be there for Roohi. He was a protege and started very early but he was too young and inexperienced to handle his position and the baby simultaneously. His fame demanded more dedication towards his work but Roohi was always on his mind. 

Dr. Rohan Nanda was his intern, preparing for his MD and he was the one who helped him manage his cases impeccably. He deserves a lot of credit for his career trajectory. When situations took a drastic change and they had to leave the hospital, he walked out with him. He could have easily filled for Abhimanyu after he left and take a giant leap in his career. But he chose to struggle with Abhimanyu and just managed being his assistant when Abhimanyu had a small clinic and was working as an independent practitioner, taking up cases from all over Udaipur. 

It took a good 3 years for them to start Birla Hospitals again in Udaipur after the former shut shop. Such loyalty needed to be treasured forever. Rohan thus became his extended family and he often stayed over because his parents lived in their village. Rohan was staying in a PG and Manjari wanted him to shift to Birla House. Their house wasn't a bungalow back then but they had enough space. Rohan refused to shift completely because he didn't want to intrude but stayed over whenever he was needed or whenever he needed. That silent support was everything Abhimanyu wanted then and he would always be grateful for that.

Dr. Anahita's entry into their lives was nothing short of filmy. She joined as an intern almost 4 years after they started Birla Hospital. She took the hospital by a storm with her wit and charm making Rohan fall for her head over heels. Their silent romance went on for quite some time. Anahita was a trouble magnet to say in short. She was interning under Abhimanyu and she ended up facing his wrath almost every day.

Well! that continues till date because she managed to retain her core personality and the essence even after so many years. Rohan confessed to Abhimanyu first about his feelings for Anahita before actually approaching her. Rohan was 29 and Anahita was just 22. She was exactly of his age when he got married. He knew how early marriage can be very challenging from his own experience. 

He found them too adorable. He always approved of their match right from the start when he saw sparks flying. But he definitely advised them to take it slow and give the relationship enough time to flourish. His past forced him to think that way and he passed on the knowledge. The fact that Anahita was an orphan, who reached till there just by her hard work added on to that. She was still studying for her MD. 

They actually took his advice and waited for her to complete her MD, to get married. The wedding was a joyous affair. The Birlas did their best to make the wedding memorable. They never for once let Anahita miss having a family. They were all there for her. Thus, they became Mr. and Mrs. Nanda. But those few days in the hospital without them, when they went for their honeymoon were hell for Abhimanyu. He then realized how dependent he was on them and also that he never had to think twice before depending on his family.

When Abhir's case was underway and Abhimanyu had to tend to Abhir's delicate health condition along with handling the court proceedings, Dr.Anahita stepped up. She behaved like the sister she was and took care of Abhir like her own. If not for her presence and her specialty being cardiology, he couldn't have fought the custody case with all his might. He couldn't imagine his life without both these incredible people who stepped up in the time of need but also behave like immature school kids around him otherwise. 

He had absolutely no complaints whatsoever. He wouldn't change a thing about them, even a bit, because he loves them as they are. The love was never going to lessen come what may. He was stuck in the memories while Anahita assumed that he was worried about the whole Harshvardhan Birla arrangement. She was fretting and that brought Abhimanyu back from his la la land. He handed her a glass of water and sat her down in a chair nearby. 

"I am fine Anu. In fact yeh mera decision hai and Dad se bhi maine hi baat ki hai. He is our best option" he spoke as she gulped down the water. She looked unconvinced. 

She always had abandonment issues because she was left at an orphanage by her parents because they didn't want another girl. She detested the fact that Harshvardhan abandoned Abhimanyu emotionally. She never saw that version of him because he was a changed man by the time she waltzed into their lives and hence she never had a problem bonding with him. But she was definitely worried for Abhimanyu's emotions. 

"Bhai! He is the best person for this. I agree. But are you okay with this? Like really really okay with this? If you are not hum jaise taise manage karlenge." She spoke with concern all over her face.

"I live with him under the same roof, we spend family time together and I even call him Dad. How is this any different Anu? You are getting worried for nothing" He tried convincing her.

"Aap ghar pe aur hospital mein bahut alag ho Bhai. You are a Softie at home. Yahan Hitler ho. You are too particular about things. I don't think you will appreciate interference. Bekar mein bill humpe hi phatega." She exclaimed dramatically earning a whack on her head from Abhimanyu.

 "Hitler haan? Ruk dikhata hoon tumhe Hitlergiri. Waise bhi main kafi lenient hogaya hoon aaj kal. Lagta hai woh baat raas nahi aarahi hain tumhe" He threatened her with a smile.

She paled immediately. She actually still dreaded Dr.Abhimanyu Birla in his full glory. She faced his ire the most because she messed up the most too but it was also a fact that he had mellowed down with time. She didn't want him to go back into that mode. He let out a laugh looking at her expressions.

"Dimag mat dauda. Main mazaak kar raha tha" He said playfully and she visibly relaxed. 

"I need to move on from my hurt Anu. He didn't give me any chance to complain or hold a grudge on him. Itna waqt kafi hota hai to know if someone has changed or not. I believe that he redeemed himself. Mere father ka darja na sahi but mere trust toh definitely deserve karte hai. I am sure about this." His words reached her.

She nodded and smiled at the realization that maybe this time around, Abhimanyu is actually ready to move on as he, himself, told her that. She would try her best to help him in any way she can. She left to continue with her duty while Abhimanyu went to meet Rohan.

Rohan was waiting in Abhimanyu's cabin for God knows how long now. He knew that Abhimanyu entered the hospital. He saw the notification on the app but he didn't make his way to the cabin yet. He was looking at the photos in the cabin and stopped when his eyes had a glance of their wedding picture. There was a collage of his and Anahita's graduation pictures along with the pictures of the celebration with the family that followed. 

He remembered all the times when Abhimanyu stood by him as a brother. They were just 2 years apart by age but 4 years apart by experience. When he joined the Hospital, he was excited to work under the protégé Doc who was the talk of the town back then. He was just fascinated by his achievements at such a young age but little did he know that, knowing him at a personal level will make him fall in love with the man he is.

He couldn't not respect him for everything he did and reason behind it. He was too good for this world and he felt like safeguarding him from all the vultures around. But the more he got to know, he realized that Abhimanyu Birla needed no protection. He was a volcano personified. Rub him in the wrong way and you will see his fury unleash. Rohan absolutely respected the amount of control and restrain Abhimanyu exercised. 

His giving nature and helpful personality was fiercely guarded by his strict demeanor. Rohan aspired to be like him but soon realized that, "There can only be one Abhimanyu Birla." He can swallow all the grief that life threw at him and plaster a smile on his face for his loved ones. Abhimanyu Birla had his unconditional loyalty ever since he understood the man behind the mask.

After his parents passed away in an unfortunate accident, he was left broken. He hade made his name in the society and finally they were coming to him to stay with him. He could finally give them the life he wanted to give them but fate played him dirty. He was in shambles when Abhimanyu and his family took him in as their own and tending to his grieving heart. It took him almost a year to get over the loss and to function normally.

They refused to let him stay alone and the time with the family was what healed him. Only after Anahita came into his life, he realized that he at least had some time with his parents. Her zeal gave him the power to move on and look at life differently. He realized that his parents wouldn't want to see him sad and wasting his life away. The moment he realized how important Anahita was, he wanted to confess and if she agreed, then marry her. 

He was too afraid to lose out on any more time. His parents' accident scarred him deeply. He even fought with Abhimanyu for advising him to wait. Abhimanyu took all his aggression silently and sat him down, explained him with great deal of patience. He made him realize that marriage isn't a decision that should be driven by fear. It was a lifelong commitment and they needed to marry for love, not out of impulse or past scars. He obliged and never regretted it. They have seen so many ups and downs in their relationship after that but they held strong.

The moment they realized they couldn't stay apart anymore just because they loved each other so much, they married. Birlas' made sure their marriage was a memory to cherish. They for once never let them feel like orphans. They were the extended family and Birlas made sure everyone knew that. It was a very private affair but it was covered well by the media. Courtesy, Abhimanyu Birla. He would always be grateful to them for everything they did in the past and also for the love and respect they still shower on them.

Abhimanyu entered the cabin and Rohan gave him a hug. He was very emotional thinking about all the past memories. Also, his wife's words put him in a dilemma. He was second guessing whether he did the right thing by suggesting Abhimanyu to appoint Mr.Harshvardhan Birla as a CEO. Abhimanyu responded and felt the tension. He pulled back and looked into his eyes. He sighed when he realized that it was exactly what he assumed. Anahita might have blasted her husband for the suggestion and Rohan was regretting.

"Anu se milke aa raha hoon. Use maine samjha diya. So tu shuru mat ho jaa. I am already done for the day" he said relaxing in his chair. Rohan sighed in relief. He had nothing to worry now that he was assured by the man himself.

"Toh aaj team aayegi around 12:30. Uncle bhi usi time pe ayenge. Maine unhe sare details dediye hai. Sab kuch theek se hua toh humein is torture se mukti mil jayegi. Yeh business humare bas ki baat nahi hai. Abhi Uncle handle karlenge aur baad mein Abhir" he spoke plainly. 

Abhimanyu paused for a second and realized that he had to talk to Abhir's College Management about his stream change. He hurriedly opened his laptop and mailed Abhir's Principal. He called up the reception to fix an appointment for a phone call with the Principal. He even requested the receptionist to pass on a message to Abhir's Biology Lecturer to excuse him for the incomplete assignment. 

Abhir was a very popular kid and a very obedient one. He was well recognized and well loved. That helped Abhimanyu and the message was conveyed immediately. He received the confirmation regarding the same. He sat down relieved. He had to speak to the Principal when he went to the College but he completely forgot that. He had luck on his side that he managed to scrape through on time somehow. Abhir being pointed out in his class for no mistake of his would have given the bullies enough meat to attack hi son. If Rohan didn't bring up Abhir's name, he would have had a big mess to tidy up. That would be a nightmare.

Rohan was just looking at Abhimanyu frantically mailing, messaging and calling as if his life depended on that. How much more can a man care? He was so hands on as a father, the children are really lucky to have the best upbringing. 

"Rohan! Thanks yaar. Tune jaan bacha li meri. Abhir already itna udaas hai, uski assignment wali baat mein bhool jata na... toh bichare ko bahut bura lagta" Abhimanyu spoke with relief lacing his tone. 

"Abhir udaas hain. Kyun? Kal hi toh baat hui meri. Kuch hua kya Bhai?" Rohan sounded worried.

"Nahi! Subah use daant diya maine aur uska weight training ban kardiya toh thoda upset hai" He answered. Rohan didn't like what he heard.

"Kya yaar Bhai? Itna seedha sa bacha hai woh, use bhi aapko daantna hai! Woh kitna excited tha apni deadlift record better karne keliye. Aap ne woh hi band karadiya" he spoke in an offended tone. 

"Yaar main koi jallad hun kya? Baap hoon uska. I know bahut acha bacha hain mera. Ache se samjhaya use. Apni safety ki dhyaan nahi rakhega aur apne aap ko hurt karne ki koshish karega toh dantunga nahi kya? Baat sari pata nahi but defend karne aajate ho" Abhimanyu snapped. 

"Rohan mera na dimag phat jayega. I am not up for conversations now. Main rounds pe jaa raha hoon. Tum yeh lunch wali meeting handle karlo and then give me a briefing" saying this he left the room angrily.

Rohan looked at Abhimanyu leaving and knew he messed up. He cursed his bad timing and mentally prepared himself to be absolutely perfect in everything he does today if he wanted to go back home alive. He also prayed that his wife somehow managed to not rile him up further which is too much to ask. She would for sure face the music and then her frustration would be directed towards him. He just hated his luck and decided to go on with the flow.

How was it knowing Abhimanyu's extended family? 

Is it okay for Abhir to not have close friends? 

How are Dr.Rohan and Dr.Anahita?

 What does life hold in store for them?

 Will Harshvardhan's role as a CEO have an impact on these people? 

Or will they manage to function just fine? 

Well! Let's wait and see.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24.6K 1.6K 18
This is a story of Khan brothers and their Father,who are ready to sacrifice their happiness for each other. The Father who is ready to destroy the w...
1M 43K 57
Cover credit - IamSumayya Highest ranking - #2 multiple times They were different in thoughts...they were different in opini...
120K 7.5K 8
"๐‡๐ข๐ฌ ๐๐ž๐ฏ๐จ๐ญ๐ข๐จ๐ง ๐Ÿ๐จ๐ซ ๐ก๐ž๐ซ ๐ฐ๐š๐ฌ ๐ฅ๐ข๐ค๐ž ๐š ๐›๐ฎ๐ซ๐ง๐ข๐ง๐  ๐ข๐ง๐Ÿ๐ž๐ซ๐ง๐จ ๐š๐ง๐ ๐ก๐ž ๐›๐ฎ๐ซ๐ง๐ž๐ ๐ก๐ข๐ฆ๐ฌ๐ž๐ฅ๐Ÿ ๐ข๐ง ๐ข๐ญ๐ฌ ๐Ÿ๐ฅ๐š๐ฆ๏ฟฝ...
757K 22.7K 40
โ€ข BOOK 1 IN MEANT TO BE SERIES โ€ข โ€ข COMPLETED โ€ข โ€ข STANDALONE โ€ข ~ "I was never yours." I retorted angrily. "Oh sweetheart. You were always min...