(Cloud Strife x Reader x Rufu...

By PlaneJain7

WARNING. ADULT THEMES, NSFW, RAPE. Contains major angst amongst fluffy slow burn. Starts off steady but escal... More

Writer's Note 1
Chapter 1 - Can I help you?
Chapter 2 - Ex-SOLIDER
Chapter 3 - New friends?
Chapter 4 - Blue and gold dreams
Chapter 5 - Girl talk
Chapter 6 - Out of the basement and into the bathroom (NSFW)
Chapter 7 - Avalanche
Chapter 8 - Am I enough?
Chapter 9 - Wark!
Chapter 10 - A real party
Chapter 11 - Are you feeling okay?
Chapter 12 - New mission
Chapter 13 - Favourite Place
Chapter 14 - First Mission
Chapter 15 - Jumping in head first
Chapter 16 - Goodbyes
Chapter 17 - Welcome back
Chapter 18 - Scarlet
Chapter 19 - The Proposal (a pinch of NSFW)
Chapter 20 - Childhood memories (NSFW)
Chapter 21 - Carnival
Chapter 22 - Town of Sin
Chapter 24 - Moonlit Melodies
Chapter 25 - Wrong Place, Wrong Time (NSFW)
Chapter 26 - Conflicted
Chapter 27 - We'll try again? (NSFW)
Chapter 28 - Birthday (NSFW)
Chapter 29 - A Present (NSFW)
Chapter 30 - Dashed Dreams
Chapter 31 - Clean Up
Chapter 32 - In search of hope
Chapter 33 - Mr President
Chapter 34 - A new beginning, for Shinra
Chapter 35 - The Chase is on
Chapter 36 - Anomaly
Chapter 37 - 'The Dream of the Fisherman's Wife' (NSFW)
Chapter 38 - The Day the Sky Fell
Writer's note 2

Chapter 23 - The Annual Shinra Ball

380 7 0
By PlaneJain7

The lead up to the annual Shinra ball is busy and full of preparation. As the Vice President, Rufus is occupied with the actual organisation of the event. With the invisible pressure from his father President Shinra, you find yourself often giving Rufus the emotional support he needs behind closed doors. You can only assure him that you are there for him, giving him encouraging words and a reassuring hug in private when he is overwhelmed with a mountain of paperwork and urgent emails to respond to in addition to his day job. It does not seem like much but that is all you could help him with.

You on the other hand, busied yourself with helping your new friends get ready for the impending celebrations. Barret is finally persuaded to agree for the group to attend as part of some unknown chance to gather intel from inside Shinra. You cannot bring yourself to care. You are just happy to be able to spend time with your friends.

A few weeks before the ball, you organise for your friends to visit a formal attire rental store with a private dresser Midgar's privileged often uses. You leave Barret, Biggs, Wedge and Cloud with the tailor to get measured and try on tuxedos. The girls - Tifa, Aerith and Jessie stay with you as they look in awe at the choice of formal outfits available.

"Go crazy! Any dress you want. Sorry it's only for rent but it's all on me." You give them a sincere smile at their enthusiastic expressions.

You all have a lot of fun trying on different outfits, laughing and chatting. It has been a while since you have felt so untroubled.

At the end of your shopping trip, Aerith chooses an asymmetrical salmon pink glittery gown which matches her personality and the halter neck top shows off her slender shoulders. Jessie chooses a navy long sleeve V-neck dress which brings out her competition. Tifa decides on a floor length off the shoulder purple dress with a high slit up the side. The dress hugs her perfect figure like a glove, accentuating it in all the right places.

"How about your dress?" The girls ask you.

"Oh, Rufus has organised for one to be made so even I haven't seen the final dress yet." You say, a little embarrassed.

"I know you'll look beautiful." Tifa says cheerfully and the girls nod eagerly in agreement.

"Let's catch up with the boys." You say brightly.

You take the group to a popular Midgar food court so that everyone can get what they want to eat. It is another fun night out with your friends, full of jokes and laughter.

=====

The day of the ball arrives. Rufus is his calm and collected self. Radiating his authoritative aura so that everyone around him carries out their jobs preparing for the event as efficiently as they can.

You decide to stay at the Shinra mansion the night before to see if you can help at all but as it all comes together; you head back to your guest bedroom to get ready.

You look at your dress and silently hope that it will look just as beautiful on you as it does on the hanger. You sit at the dresser in your new matching structured underwear as you do your makeup and curl your hair which you decide to pin into a textured messy updo in contrast to your formal dress. You let tendrils fall freely from the updo to frame your face and finish off by fastening a subtle glittery rhinestone headpiece, adjusting it so that it peeks through your hair.

You stand in front of the vintage full length mirror when you finish dressing. It is so different to your usual attire that it takes you a little while to get used to how you look. You smooth the deep ruby coloured floor length A-line dress with your matching coloured silk gloved hands. The gloves reach just above your elbow which complements the strapless sweetheart neckline of your dress. You gently trace a finger over the intricate embroidery detail on the material.

There is a knock at the door which startles you.

"Come in, it's open." You call out invitingly.

The door opens and Tseng stands in the doorway.

"Hi Tseng, I'm on my way." You say quickly, assuming he is here to check you are ready to go.

"Hello Miss. The Vice President has asked me to see if you are ready so he can escort you to the ball."

"Oh. Yes, I'm ready. Shall I wait for him here or go to meet him in his office?"

"Here is fine Miss."

"Okay no problem." You give Tseng a courteous smile.

"You look lovely Miss. Also, your friends have arrived and are in the ballroom."

"Thanks Tseng." You say sweetly.

While you are waiting for Rufus, you put a few more pins in your hair to hold the wild curls in place just in case.

There is another knock at the door and you invite them in as you did previously. Still preoccupied with the pins, you stand up distracted. You look up and do not know how to react to Rufus striding confidently towards you.

Rufus is wearing a completely white suit. The structured tailcoat jacket and trousers fit his tall frame magnificently, giving him an additional regal air about him. He has on a black waistcoat under his jacket and the Bordeaux red of his neck tie matches your dress purposefully. Rufus reaches you before you can remember how to speak.

"You look breath-taking." He says softly stepping close and touching one of the curls framing your face.

"Th-Thanks... You look good too." You turn away to not let him see your sudden flustered state in his presence. You internally tell yourself to pull yourself together.

"You remind me of the caped crusader prince in that cartoon I used to love when I was a little girl." You think out loud, trying to normalise the conversation and lighten the mood to disperse the strange tension between the two of you that Rufus had brought into the room with him.

"I remember that," Rufus chuckles lightly as he casts his mind back to when you were kids. "He was my inspiration for the outfit today." He jokes, bowing and giving his tailcoat a little flick.

You giggle and relax in his presence although you can still only manage to timidly look in Rufus' twinkly eyes.

"Here." Rufus draws your attention to a square velvet box in his hands you did not notice he is holding.

"What's this?" You ask curiously, peering at the box and then up at him.

Rufus turns the box towards you and opens it with his long elegant fingers. You cannot help but gasp out loud. Sitting on the silk cushion is a substantial diamond necklace and earrings both set in matching rhinestones and vintage crystals.

"I can't accept that." You wave your hands in a small gesture, almost cowering away from the grandeur.

"Just wear them for tonight then." Rufus does not want to argue with you.

You think for a few seconds and decide you do not want to be obtuse either, so you nod and agree with a small grateful smile.

Rufus gives you a satisfied look and takes the necklace out of the box. He steps behind you and lifts it over your head onto your neck to fasten it securely. He leaves a soft lingering touch on your shoulder as he does so, sending tingles all the way down your spine. You put on the matching earrings and it really does bring your whole outfit together. Rufus is still standing close behind you and looks over your shoulder into the full length mirror you are both standing in front of.

"You look exquisite." He whispers in your ear. His breathy words send a shiver over your already flushed skin.

"Thank you, Rufus."

You look up at him through your lashes and he gazes down at you through hooded eyes. You quickly lead him out of the room and towards the ballroom as you almost do not trust yourself to be alone with him any longer.

=====

The noise from the joyful chatter of people gets louder and louder as you and Rufus approach the ballroom. You are a little confused as to what is happening as the guests have been all ushered inside. In previous years you have always just been a part of the crowd. You hear the chatter die down to a hushed shuffling within.

"Rufus, what -?" You turn to ask but stop when you see President Shinra approaching the main doors Rufus had led you to.

"Hello darling." President Shinra greets you and you give him a polite kiss on each cheek. "Glad you are back safe."

"Thank you, Uncle Shinra." You reply obediently. Even though he has watched you grow up, the President of Shinra Inc has always maintained a formal relationship with you. This is unsurprising as he even keeps his own son at an arm's length.

Rufus gives you a reassuring smile which calms your nerves and you feel secure as he holds his arm out for you to take. You have no idea what is happening but instinctively take his arm and mentally prepare yourself for whatever is to come.

President Shinra stands a few steps in front and gives a curt nod and the doors swing open dramatically revealing the ballroom full of formally dressed people. You realise it is in fact you and the Shinras that are arriving as honoured guests.

"Please welcome your hosts for tonight!" A voice announces somewhere behind you and a round of applause starts as you and Rufus follow President Shinra through the crowd. You smile politely at the many faces looking at you as you walk by. You spot your aunt Scarlet looking on approvingly, giving you a knowing nod as you pass her on Rufus' arm.

You can feel the faint blush in your cheeks as you are not used to so many eyes on you. President Shinra stops by the impressive champagne glass pyramid and begins a speech. You find it difficult to concentrate on his words, something about record profits and the Promised Land. That's when you spot Cloud in the masses.

His signature spikey golden hair stands out from the crowd. He is wearing a simple black tuxedo which compliments his athletic build and he manages to keep the heroic air about him. You notice his bow tie is a little uneven and this makes his efforts to come tonight endear him to you even more. His blue eyes are large and fixed on you, the light from the chandeliers above making them sparkle alluringly like the stars at midnight. His expression is composed, a cool serenity across his handsome face. However, you can see a touch of agony troubling his innermost self as he gazes on at you from the crowd.

President Shinra comes to the end of his speech when you finally find your way out of Cloud's eyes. Rufus hands you a crystal champagne flute and you join him and the President in raising a glass to kick off the evening's festivities.

The guests disperse to enjoy conversation over the canapés and drink, making their way methodically through the large room via the team of smartly dressed wait staff. You give Rufus' arm a little squeeze as you excuse yourself while President Shinra introduces him to a couple and their blossoming daughter in opulent looking outfits.

On the way to find your Sector 7 friends, you continue to nod and smile courteously at the guests you know and pick up a few canapés . You find your friends looking fashionable and not at all out of place among the wealthy individuals. They greet you enthusiastically as you bound up to them excitedly.

"How are you all finding it?" You ask, worried they are not enjoying themselves in the presence of Shinra.

"It's amazing, don't worry about us. You're the host, of course we will have fun!" Tifa teases affectionately and the others nod in unison.

"You all look great by the way! We all scrub up quite well don't you think? Even Cloud!" You joke, casting a carefree look at him and the others laugh. Even Cloud smiles at your quip even if it is at his expense.

"You look lovely!" Aerith chimes in, holding your hand.

"Thanks Aerith, you always look lovely! Have you tried these canapés ?" You ask as you pop another in your mouth.

"Not yet but let's go and see what's on offer!" Wedge sings. The others start to follow and you wave them off.

"I'll catch up!" You say with difficulty, your mouth full.

The group saunters through the crowd and you cover your mouth to finish off the food canapés you just over enthusiastically shoved in your mouth.

"You... erm... look nice. I mean... beautiful." Cloud says hesitantly behind you, making you turn abruptly on the spot and taking you off guard. His words almost make you choke, his tone is awkward but his expression is genuine.

"You look good too... I mean handsome... I mean -" You wince at your cumbersome words but smile when you look up to see Cloud's eyes regard you delicately.

"You have something -" Cloud raises his hand to your cheek but immediately catches himself and lets it fall dejected back to his side. He instead gestures to his own mouth and you realise you must have crumbs from messily eating those canapés . You thank him shyly and wipe the crumbs off the corner of your mouth. You notice Cloud stare at your lips for a second too long as you do so and your cheeks flush in response under his glorious blue eyes.

"Cloud. Hello." Rufus suddenly appears at your side.

Cloud gives him a brief greeting just as the others return from their gander about the room in search of food. They thank Rufus for the invite and exchange other pleasantries. Rufus compliments Tifa, Aerith and Jessie in turn. That guy knows how to charm; you amusingly think to yourself.

"I'm afraid I'm going to have to steal you away." Rufus returns his attention to you and reaches around your waist to pull you closer in front of the others.

You look up at him confused, but before you can say another word Rufus has already begun to whisk you away.

"Enjoy the dance everyone." Rufus winks to the others and leads you into the middle of the dance floor where President Shinra and Scarlet are already standing. Rufus nods at his father and then makes eye contact with someone over the crowd. The live orchestra begins to play a sweet melody. President Shinra and Scarlet join hands and begin to dance. At the same time, Rufus stands closer to you and places one hand assertively on your lower back, the other holding your hand up. He locks eyes with you and you let him lead you in time with the music.

You stumble over your own feet as you first begin to move but you recover quickly, resting your free hand intimately on Rufus' chest just below his shoulder as you waltz around the dancefloor. Scarlet trained you well, and soon the crowd is a colourful blur. Rufus is the only thing in focus as the two of you whirl and twirl around with the music. You cannot help but giggle as he spins you out and then pulls you back tightly in his arms. Rufus loves the carefree smile you have on your face and his expression cannot help but mirror yours. Soon the guests start to join in and you and Rufus become a part of the parade and are no longer the centre of attention as the dance floor becomes more crowded.

Rufus pulls you ever closer so that you find yourself nestled in his chest.

"The old man was introducing me to a couple and their daughter earlier. They are essentially the descendants of Knight Alfred from Valvados. No doubt father is scheming something in the background and I won't know anything about it until it directly impacts me." You sympathise as Rufus has been trying to out-scheme his father for most of his life.

"Oh, I see." You look up at him.

"It would benefit him immensely if I married a royal." Rufus rolls his eyes.

"She was pretty..." You pause.

"Not as pretty as you." He replies instantaneously and gazes down tenderly at you.

You blush at his words and lower your gaze.

Rufus responds assertively by using one arm to still pin your body against his and the other reaches to tip your chin up so that you have to meet his eyes.

"I could have you right here, right now. I can sense you want the same thing. Your words won't admit it but your body can't lie." He almost growls in a low voice. He softens, "My sentiments remain the same. You are what I want. All you need is to say yes." His eyes bore into yours intensely and you almost lose yourself in them.

"Rufus..." Was the only thing you could breathe in that moment.

"I know. You need more time." He cannot keep the disappointment out of his voice.

You nod solemnly.

"Let's just enjoy ourselves now, eh?" You smile up at him trying to chase away the dejected expression. You hate being the one to hurt him.

Recovering like only Rufus can, he smiles sweetly at you and nods. He rests his head on yours and takes a big breath in, smelling your hair. You cannot help but relish this unfamiliar sense of sentimentality by being in his arms.

As another song finishes you look up at Rufus.

"You should probably have a dance with your royal princess. You shouldn't waste any more time with a commoner like me." You tease him, flashing him a cheeky smile.

Rufus scoffs but he cannot keep the light-hearted look off his charming face.

"You know I would rather spend the whole night with you, but you are right. I've got to do the rounds." He looks down at you glumly.

You pull away and discreetly hit him on the chest playfully.

"Hey, come on!" You lower your voice so that only he can hear. "You're Rufus Shinra. The most eligible bachelor in all of Gia and the most suave man I know. Now, go and schmooze them till they drop!"

Rufus recomposes himself at once with your words of encouragement and gives you a grateful look as he walks off to socialise with his guests.

With that, you go in search of your friends, who you find standing around two small high tables drinking and laughing. You encourage them to dance and you manage one song with Barret who makes everyone laugh by not knowing the steps. Wedge is as clumsy as you are and Biggs is a surprisingly good dancer. The girls also join you for a few dances which is good fun. However, no one could persuade Cloud to join in. He just stands, much to Tifa's dismay, watching you all with an amused look on his face and nursing his drink.

You have put off networking for as long as you can and so you spend some time with your boss Reeve and then with your aunt Scarlet working your way around the room, meeting and speaking to as many people as you can.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 34 3
After leaving his hometown and the girl he secretly loves to join SOLDIER and achieve his dreams, Cloud Strife finds that the homesickness and the lo...
104K 2.2K 32
Cloud and the rest of avalanche go on a mission in Sector 8. While there they meet a girl named (Y/N) who saves Clouds life. The group then decide t...
478 23 5
"You're not going with us (Y/n), it's too dangerous!" "Danger is my middle name..." "No it's not, you told me it's (md/n)?" ...
62K 1.4K 40
Growing up alongside Cloud and Tifa, Lailah Tenebris is a girl whose past is drenched in blood and plagued by death. As a descendant of Gaia, she use...