Resilient Hearts

By AshleeeLove

April Phillips, a successful 32-year-old plus size woman. She has always felt overlooked and underestimated... More

0.0
0.2
0.3
0.4
0.5
0.6
0.7
From Ash 1/8
0.8
0.9
10.0
11.0
12.0
13.0
14.0
15.0

0.1

631 30 18
By AshleeeLove

" April, you can't be serious! I know you didn't forget about my birthday party?" Lauren frowns while on Facetime. Lauren, my best friend since kindergarten. She's my sister I'd do anything for her and I know she's do anything for me.

" Girl, calm yourself down. I didn't forget! Time just simply flew by and I was shocked that it was already here. Chubbs sent that invite months again and it went by so quickly.

" You're right! I'm so glad all of my girls can come! It's usually one of you that has to go out of town for work or some shit!" I laughed because she was right! It's always her birthday when someone had to do something.

" I just want to have a time and drink, baby! I haven't had a night out since.... Well, you know. There's no reason to mention that shit." I laughed to myself thinking about my last failed attempt at a relationship.

" A.P, you didn't even give that man a chance. Let's be real. You never know what that could've been."

" Lauren, are you smoking? That man basically lied saying he had a job but didn't! He didn't have a car. Asking me to borrow my car our second time on the phone." I looked to the side of me to see a figure standing in my doorway.

" Hold on Laur. Yes?" I smirked at my big baby! My 16-year-old son, Juanzo. Had my baby at 16, his father didn't want a child so I raised him by myself. I definitely had a great support system. Between my mom and dad, my brothers and Lauren.

" Ma, can I go to the movies tonight with Cairo and a few others?"

" Hmm, don't you have two games tomorrow?" I asked. It was already 7:30 and I knew he'd be out a little late.

" Yes, but I'll be good."

" Ok, how are you getting home?" He smiled and looked away.

"That's another thing I wanted to ask you."

" Mmhmm." Raising my eyebrows.

" Can you pick me and Cairo up? And can he stay over so that we don't have to get him in the morning? He's coming to my games." My son is always making plans without coming to me first.

" Fine. Go on and get ready." He nods and rushes off.

" You know you can't tell my baby no! I was waiting on a no and I was going get my ass up and pick them up myself." Lauren laughed. She was his godmother and my guy best friend Chris was his godfather.

" Girl hush! Anyway did you decide on your outfit?" I asked while seeing a notification pop up on my phone. I had a showing that I need to do tomorrow. The good thing is that it's after Zo's 1st game. I'll be able to make both games.

" I did, I narrowed it down to two, surprisingly."

" Let me guess, the one with the gold and the one with the red." Smirking while she rolled her eyes.

" You don't know me, April Renee !"

" Girl, goodbye. Anyway, let me get ready to take Zo to the movies." I said.

" Ok, babes! I'll call you tomorrow. Oh and by the way Chubbs boys will be at the party. You can meet them but there's one that I think you might like." She smirk. I rolled my eyes.

" BYE!" I hung up. She's always trying to hook me up with someone.

" Ma!!" I heard from downstairs.

" Yes, Zo?"

"I'm ready!!!" He yelled.

" I'll be down."

In the car

" So who are the girls that will be around."

" Just Kaja and Jordynn, Ma." He shakes his head as we pulled into the movie theater. I reached into my purse and pulled out my phone and quickly sent him some money. He has a little job but momma always looks out.

" Sent you money, Now have fun you too!" I said to him and Cairo.

"Thanks, Ma."

" Thank you, Ms. April," They both got out.

" Text me," I said before the door closed and they were off. I pulled off and headed back home. I may as well pick out something to wear for this party tomorrow. I have a few brand-new outfits that came in the mail yesterday. I haven't opened them yet, maybe I'll wear one of those.

" Man, your ass needs to settle down!" Chubbs laughs while we're at the bar with a few of our boys.

" Settle down with what?" I took a sip of my drink. I was trying to chill on the drinks tonight because I had some games to go to tomorrow morning. I was scouting new players for my team next season. I didn't need to be hungover.

" Nigga you're crazy," Chubbs replies.

"I know I better see something I like tomorrow night at your girl's party."

" Oh, you will." He says. Of course, I'm the only single one out of our group of friends. Fuck it, I'm not into all that relationship type of bullshit.

" Man, I'm trying to leave with one." I laughed.

" Nigga, none of them are going to let you leave with them. Just get that out of your mind now." Chubbs took a pull from his blunt.

" Yea, Yea. I'll be back." I got up and walked over to the other side of the bar. I had been eying this woman over on the other side but as soon as I got closer a guy sits next to her. I watched as he kissed her cheek.

" Bitch.." I mumbled while turning around. Chubbs was laughing once in sat back down.

" Shut up, nigga!" I waved him off.

"What time does the game start tomorrow morning?" He asked while the bartender us over more drinks.

"8:30," I looked around.

" How many players are you looking for?" He asked.

" Just one. I heard there's a shooting guard on this team that I need to keep my eye on." I eyed another woman that just walked in. Chubbs phone went off and I turned to see that his girl was Facetiming him.

"Yes?" I glanced over.

" Where are you?" She asked. See that's what I don't like. I don't need anyone to ask me where I am. I bet he's going to tell her.

" I'm out." Aw shit, here we go.

" OUT? Where is out, Nessel?"

" I'm at the bar."

" With who?" She asked with that little attitude in her voice.

" With me, Lauren. It's all good over here." I leaned over so that she could see me." I smirked.

" Oh, and that makes shit better? He's out with you? Hi, Aubrey."

" Wassup Lauren!" I gave her a grin.

" Bye Chubbs." She said as she hung up. I shook my head and looked at my bro.

" See that right there? I can't deal with that, bruh. Lauren is cool and all but, nah!" he laughed.

" Nigga, you don't know what you're missing."

" Fuck yeah I do, and I don't want that! Now let me meet one of her friends. You know, have a little something going on. I'll try not to break any hearts but you know how these females are. They get too attached."

" You're only this way because Rih broke your damn heart." I shook my head and looked away.

" She didn't break my heart," I mumbled while taking a drink. Nah, I was never heartbroken. That bitch didn't break my heart. She tried.

Nah, I'm not heartbroken.

The next morning

"Let's go Zo!!" I yelled in the crowd as my baby stole the ball, went for the fast break, and ended it with a dunk.

" Let's fuckin go!!!" Chris yelled next to me. I hit his arm.

" Stop cursing! There are kids around." He shrugged and stood up. The game was about to be over there was a minute left with no chance for the other team to come back.

" My lil nigga is the truth." One of his boys was with him and handed him something. He sat back down and looked around.

" There's a coach here watching some players." He says.

" Oh..."

" Don't just say oh! He may be looking at Lil Zo!"

" True, we'll see. He's only 16. He doesn't need the pressure. What if he changes his mind and doesn't want to play ball after high school." Chris gave me a look.

" Yea ok, Renee. You just want him to be in real estate and all that, you got going on."

" Well, I have some things in his name. If something were to happen to me, he'd take over."

" I get you, April. Just let that boy live." The whistle blew and the game was over. Zo and his teammates were celebrating.

As I was waiting for Juanzo, I noticed him talking to a guy. They seem to be having a serious conversation. After a few more minutes they dapped up. I couldn't see his face but just his back. He later walks off and Zo runs over to me.

" Wassup, Ma!"

" Hey, Mr. 46 points!!" He grins and then daps up Chris who was distracted by some girl at the moment.

" You staying for my next game or nah, Ma?"

" I have a showing I have to get to but I'll be back. That won't take more than an hour. It's not too far." I say as he nods.

" I'm staying, Lil Zo. I got you." Chris said bringing his attention to us.

" Aight, cool. Well, Ma! Hurry back so you can see your son kill these Niggas!" I hit his mouth.

" Nope, what did I say about saying niggas!" He laughed and shook his head.

" April.... Never mind.." Chris waved me off as Zo walked over to his teammates as they walked into the locker room.

" I'll be back Chris."

Later that night

It was now 8:00 and I was getting ready for Lauren's party. I was picking up our friends Solána and Summer. I wasn't the designated driver but if I got too messed up Uber will be called.

" Ma, where are you going?"

" To Auntie Lauren's Party," I said while looking into the mirror.

" Hold up, I'm not invited?"

" Boy, adults only!" I said while putting on my shoes. I was just about ready and sent a text to Solàna and Summer.

" I'm grown!"

" Mmhmm. Don't have nobody up in my house. Cairo and that's it!"

" Aight. Well, fun. You look beautiful, Ma!" He hugged me and walked out.

" Thank you, baby. I'll see you in the morning, Love" I grabbed my purse and got ready to leave.

" Ok. Bye, Ma!"

Summer's House

" Look at this bitch!! Ready to shake some ass!" Summer said to me as Solána walked out. We were waiting on her.

" Hubby, let her leave the house?" I glanced over at Summer.

" Girl, that's what I said." She whispered just as Solána got in my car.

" Hey, my Love!" Solána says to me.

" Lana, did you lock my door?"

" Yes, girl!"

" Aight! Let's go party!! I need like 5 drinks, right now!!" She pulled a bottle out of her purse. Oh lord, here she goes. She handed me and Solána a cup.

" Hell, no bitch! Wait until I get there!" I said while taking off.

Once we were at the venue valet took my car and I asked if I could leave it here if I got too drunk and the man said yes. Just not to lose the card he gave me.

" Is Lauren here yet? I think we're late." We walked in seeing most of our friends were here. I saw Chubbs standing around with a few guys. Chris walks over to me and looks me up and down.

" Nah, April. Too much tittie is showing! I'm not having these niggas staring at what's mine." He says. I laughed. He's a trip.

" Chris move and don't cock block, Nigga!" Summer says while walking over to the bar. She's starting already. I guarantee that she will get into it with someone.

" Wassup, y'all," Chubbs says while hugging us and dapping up Chris.

" Hey, Chubbs! How are you?"

" Shit, I'm good. Dealing with your best friend. She changed 5 times."

" Wait I thought she said she had two outfits planned?" He gave me a look and I laughed.

" Yeah, ok."

" Where is she?" I asked. Just as he was about to answer she walked in. We were late and she already made her grand entrance. I knew she would have something to say.

" Bitch 1 and 2! Where's 3? Why weren't y'all on time?"

" I had to wait on them?" I pointed to Solána.

" Figures! But I'm so happy to see y'all!!" She says.

" Happy Birthday, Laur!!" We hugged and Summer walked over.

" Happy birthday my favorite whore!!"

" Girl get ya drunk ass out of my face. Chubbs make some introductions!" She says to him. He gives her a look and rolls his eyes. Turns around he calls over a few guys.

Chubbs calls us over and I see something I like already. She's bigger than what I'm used to but for a few nights in bed none of that matters. Ass and titties were right and I'm definitely trying my luck tonight's

Chubbs introduced everyone but for some reason waited to introduce us last.

" And April this is my best friend, Aubrey. More like my brother. Aub, this is April. I held my hand out and eyed her intensely.

" Pleasure is all mine, Baby," I said. She raised her eyebrows.

" Mine as well." She later smiled. I let go and continued to hold her gaze.

" Come on girl! Let's drink." Her wild friend pulls her to the bar. Chubbs and Lauren were walking over with them as well so I figured I'd followed. The guy that was introduced as Chris glanced at me before going over to stand next to April. Oh is she his girl? I'll have to ask Chubbs.

After a few drinks, the party was live. We were all having a good time. The drinks were good! The music was good. The people were cool, and the vibe was good.

" Bruh, is that her man?" I nodded over to April who was doing a shot with the guy Chris.

" Nah, I thought that when I first met them. They're best friends like she and Lauren. All three of them grew up together." He explained.

" Aight cool."

" So I'm guessing you like what you see." He lit a blunt and smirked.

" I do, I haven't messed with a big girl in a minute."

" Bruh, you're ignorant."

" What? I'd definitely have a lot to work with. She's.... She's sexy as fuck but.... you know. " I shrugged. Chubbs looks to the side and shakes his head.

" I'm what?" April appears at my side glaring at me. Shit, why didn't he tell me that she was over here now. How the hell did she know I was talking about her?

" I'm not sure I know what you're talking about, Baby."

" First! Im not your baby so chill with that but I'd like to know what I am. I'm sexy as fuck as you say but what?" I looked around just as Lauren appeared at her side.

" Look, nothing was meant like that, April. I..."

" No, you're ignorant just like Chubbs said." She rolled her eyes and turned around.

" What the hell just happened?" Lauren asked.

" Your friend is sensitive as fuck." I mumbled before turning around and grabbing my drink.

" Nigga! I should knock your ass out! What did you say to her? Here I was trying to set y'all up." I laughed.

" Set us up? What the fuck do I look like?"

" Bro, chill." I could tell that Lauren was getting even more mad.

" Look, I'm sorry." I laughed. She rolled her eyes and walked over to April.

" Man..."

" Nigga, why are you this way..." I shrugged.

" I have no idea what you're talking about," I said while turning over to look at April. She turned to me and held her middle finger up at me.

" Bitch." I mumbled before turning away. Now on to the next.

____________________________________

I know, I took forever to upload the first chapter. Let's see what happens in the next chapter. What do you think?

Excuse the errors.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

50.1K 2K 26
"You're beautiful Elise" "Zach, please..." I smiled when she called me Zach. It was always Zachary or Mr. Walton and when she called me Zach I... "Za...
157K 5.2K 75
Liam Pearson has undergone a rough life. Losing his mother at the tender age of 11, his sister Danielle and himself raising each other to their adult...
8.6K 373 50
One date. That's what they were told. One date evolves into something. Something neither of them wanted. A grave misunderstanding occurs pushing a ma...
10.2K 221 14
Falling in love with a man twice her age seems ridiculous. But falling in love with her father's best friend is even worse. Ceynol Tarragon is the ma...