Empire of Blood

By 129cdmuller

When the young Selena Liongod unexpectedly became the companion of the noble and gifted dragon named Thor, th... More

Chapter 1: Dragonfire and Steel
Chapter 2: A Dragon's Secret
Chapter 3: The Aynu
Chapter 4: The Hearing
Chapter 5: The Mythic Flight
Chapter 6: Oathbound
Chapter 7: His Dark Majesty's Mercy
Chapter 8: The Dragon's Dance
Chapter 9: The Masked Dragons
Chapter 10: The Shepherd of Souls
Chapter 11: Rahim's Teacher
Chapter 12: The Forest
Chapter 13: The King of Rhumbek
Chapter 14: The Dragon and the Wolf
Chapter 15: Imprisoned
Chapter 16: The Mad God
Chapter 17: Artio's Blessing
Chapter 18: Unmovable and Unstoppable
Chapter 19: A Shadow Over Nuvak
Chapter 20: Death's Masquerade
Chapter 22: Fire and Water
Chapter 23: City of Secrets
Chapter 24: The Woman With the Cobra Tattoos
Chapter 25: The Dragon and the Snake
Chapter 26: Red Rain
Chapter 27: Blood on the Ice
Chapter 28: The Long Night

Chapter 21: Tiamat

9 0 0
By 129cdmuller

General Araneus paced about his office before Admiral Silver Altessa, looking out his window with hands clasped behind his back. "I will say, the new captain is excelling thanks to you, Admiral. Captain Allendreth and Venerius are performing admirably, and we'll assign their recruits to their dragons within a month. You are well on becoming a seasoned admiral yourself."

"Sir, you're too kind," Silver smiled, "Of course, I only want to see the success of the riders and what's best for the Empire."

"Yes, of course. How is your Aether line project coming along?"

Silver paused for a moment and nodded to the general's office window. "I'm afraid it had its setbacks, sir."

"What do you mean by that?"

Silver raised his left hand and moved his pinkie finger. "It was fun re-growing this. Harnessing this power for transportation isn't as easy as it seems." Though he could use portals for shorter crossings, Silver could never replicate that for traveling far distances, such as from Alfheim to Snowhaven—doing so required a tremendous amount of magic. Silver figured he could harness Aether through many conductor elements; he found that great power lines crisscrossed Armageddon—like blood vessels of spirit energy coursing through the earth—and could use them to create portals. However, it grew challenging for him to control the flow, and his latest experiment was a disaster. Silver would be walking around with missing limbs if it weren't for him being a shapeshifter.

"That's why I put my best minds to work. However, there is something I need to talk to you about in private. Please, close the door and take a seat." General Araneus sat behind his mahogany desk while Silver bowed and did as he asked. "Now then, the first matter is regarding Liongod and Thor. I recently received word of their travels, and they should be on their way to Nuvak as we speak. They're making excellent time, and I reckon they should return to Alfheim by the end of Stardusk—I've already approved her time off."

Silver's heart raced, but he remained calm and collected before the general. "Sir, of course."

"Very good. I'm sure that you of all people would appreciate it."

Silver was afraid to offer more to the conversation. "I'm sorry?"

"I'm well aware of the relationship. Need I say more?"

Silver swallowed hard; General Araneus knew of their engagement. "Sir, I don't understand how you could accept it if it's against the law."

"It is if I say it is. Right now, I think that this matter stays between us. As far as I'm concerned, this conversation never happened." The general winked, and Silver let out a sigh of relief. "There is, however, an urgent matter that we need to address. I will warn you: it is disturbing." General Araneus opened his desk drawer and pulled out a large book listing all the transactions that the Council had approved over the last year. "My order to you is that whatever is discussed within my office stays in my office. Do I make myself clear, Admiral?"

"Absolutely, sir."

"Very good. Now, I want you to look over these dated documents from within the last six months and tell me if you see anything unusual."

Slightly confused by the general's request, Silver agreed and grabbed the book. Silver's eyes widened after shuffling through the pages when he realized what Araneus meant and said, "Vidar told us that Justiciar Holland had approved a hefty sum of one million for the Mythic Flight eggs."

"Yes."

Silver looked through the book again. "I don't see anything about this exchange, but these numbers don't add up. That means—"

"The Council hasn't received any form of payment from Snowhaven," Araneus ruefully announced. "Not only that, but if you go back further in the records, you will see that a large sum of money was sent to an unknown organization for weapons and other supplies for war after the Battle of Alfheim." Their faces drained of all color, and the general broke their tense atmosphere. "Something isn't right. I need to follow up with this and find out more if I can. In the meantime, you will say nothing. Let me deal with this."

"Sir, of course."

"Very good. Please return to your duties, and I will let you know if I find out more."

*****

As the trio trekked through the clean streets, Azrael ignored Selena's pestering questions about what happened to King Camulus; all he said was, "I believe he fell ill to the disease." Yet, he confirmed Chaliss wasn't in the castle and agreed to help Rahim find her. Selena, however, wished to stay behind with Thor and Tiamat near the airship docks, afraid to face Chaliss. Her chest ached when she felt the worst, but Azrael agreed without hesitation.

Thor emerged from the courtyard and ferried Selena and Tiamat to the piers once Azrael and Rahim parted; Doragon had already left the floating isle to hunt while waiting for them to finish business with the king. Thor, however, insisted he wasn't hungry and wished to stay with Selena and the masked dragon hatchling. After climbing into Thor's harness, Selena did her best to sex Tiamat; noting the lack of defined groves under the base of its tail, she assumed Tiamat to be female.

Tiamat nipped at her arm a few times; more surprised than hurt, Selena grabbed a sack full of lettuce and potatoes to offer some to the whelpling as Thor launched himself skyward, soaring towards the hot air balloons and zeppelins.

The creature sniffed her gift and hissed like a cat. "Stop; it's food." Selena took a bite before offering them again. Intrigued, Tiamat mimicked her actions and licked her lips, bobbing her head up and down through chirping noises. "Do you want some more?" Selena offered a piece of beef jerky, and the whelpling gobbled it in delight.

Thor snorted, jealous of not receiving her affections. That's interesting. Maybe you can train these beasts not to be killers.

They are not beasts. Please, don't treat them like they're monsters. Thor turned away, but Selena gently added, I want to take care of Tiamat until she's big enough to survive on her own. Will you help me, my friend?

Thor growled. If that is your wish.

Why are you acting like this?

Thor landed and tucked in his wings before curling up on the pier. He ruefully helped Selena and Tiamat dismount his harness and grumbled. I'm supposed to be the only one to receive your affections.

Though Selena couldn't help it, she grew furious at his obsessive behavior. What will happen when I get married? I will also have to care for Silver; I don't think you're as ready for this as you said you were.

Thor bared his fangs and flickered his tail. You're supposed to be my handler, my rider. I thought I was, but I honestly can't stand the thought of you being with anyone else. Why must I share you?

That's not going to change—

Yes, it will. You will soon forget about me, won't you?

No, Please

I've seen how happy Silver makes you, and soon, you will forget about me.

I could never forget about you. Thor hissed and turned away; Selena extended a gentle hand to his neck. My dear, I wish I could help you understand. I'm confident if you had a companion, you would see the difference. I love you, and you're my brother. But

I know. It's different compared to your love for Silver.

And yet, you're still not satisfied?

No, and I don't know if I ever will be. I love you too, my sister, but I don't like seeing you care for anything or anyone else.

Selena sat down and leaned against Thor's warm stomach. The whelpling ran around, spewing blotches of acid all over the ground before calling her over. Tail twitching, Tiamat prodded over like a happy cat before curling up beside her legs, wisps of black smoke wafting from her nostrils.

I need to figure out how to help you because mine and Silver's future isn't going to change. I want you to be happy too.

Selena rested her head against his stomach while Thor continued sulking in silence; yet, he snaked his head around, the warm steam from his nostrils touseling her shoulder-length chocolate hair. Maybe you're right, and I'm sorry. It's always been about us and no one else. It's so hard to imagine someone coming between us.

No one will drive a wedge between you and me, and I don't want this continuing to be an issue. I need to ensure both you and Silver will be happy by being a companion to you and a wife to him.

Thor hung his head low in shame. I know I haven't made this easy for you; pray forgive me for my outburst earlier.

My dear, there is nothing to forgive. Please, give me a chance to show you that I won't forget you. Selena paused when she considered Silver's feelings. I hope Silver doesn't feel excluded and that he understands; he's never shown to be jealous of our bond.

I know you'll talk to him if he does, just as you've spoken with me.

She smiled when Tiamat suddenly clawed at her dress and crawled on her lap; she curled up and went to sleep. Thor wrapped the two within his protective wing and held them close as the three dozed off for a few hours, waiting for Azrael, Rahim, and Doragon to return.

Selena woke to the soft flail of wings; Doragon returned with Azrael, but Rahim wasn't with them. As Doragon landed beside Thor, he lowered his paw; Azrael stepped from his clawed carriage and explained: "He's spending the night at his mother's house to catch up on lost time."

Selena's eyes lit up, but she looked down at her feet. "Did Matu want to see me too?"

"I'm sure she did, but I didn't get a chance to speak to her." Chaliss was the only mother figure she had ever known; she felt like Thor, wanting parental affection. "What are you going to do what that thing?" Azrael asked, interrupting her train of thought.

Selena placed her hand on the twitching whelpling still lying on her lap. "Tiamat is a she, and I want to care for her until she's old enough to survive on her own."

Azrael shivered. "I don't care what she is; those monsters only bring chaos and death. I don't like it."

"But aren't you the Divine of chaos and death?"

Azrael made an uncomfortable noise. "Yes, but this is different. What I do is natural and needed, but these creatures are violent abominations that shouldn't exist. Looking at that monster is making me nauseous."

Selena scowled at him. "Tiamat isn't a monster; she acts like any dragon I've ever met."

Thor nipped his fangs and flickered his tail in agreement; Azrael yielded defeat and held his hands up in defense before declaring their plans to immediately leave after Selena had a chance to meet with Chaliss. However, the whelpling woke up, interrupting their discussion, and randomly hissed again. Selena panicked as Tiamat nipped at her and jolted from her lap. Thor got on all fours and started growling back, and Tiamat scuffled away in fear, but Selena ran after her. My dear, we startled her.

Thor's smoldering amber eyes flickered to a shade of red. That thing keeps trying to attack you.

She, Selena sternly corrected, and Tiamat doesn't know any better.

Selena knelt before the trembling hatchling and extended her hand, allowing Tiamat to sniff her fingers. Satisfied, she reached into her pack and pulled out another piece of jerky to feed the whelpling. When she deemed her surroundings safe, Tiamat curled into Selena's arms, allowing her to bring her back to Thor and Doragon.

While relaxing with the two dragons by the nearby lit brazier, Azrael arranged a few small sticks over a large, flat stone to cook a salted slab of pork Chaliss had given him. He cut a few pieces to offer Selena for Tiamat, who snatched each slice with ravenous enthusiasm. While Tiamat ate, Selena ran her hand over her hide and shuddered when she felt the open, crusted wounds. "Azrael, can you show me how to heal them?"

He froze but nodded; Azrael knelt beside her and grabbed her hand without warning. Selena immediately withdrew it back, but he explained: "I'm about to show you how."

"But I've never healed before."

Azrael refused her answer. "I know you can do it. You're talented, and you always figure everything out." When she permitted him to do so, Azrael moved her hand to touch Tiamat's wounds. While he instructed her to breathe deeply and imagine a tranquil pool before her, Selena closed her eyes as she felt a burn erupt from her palm. The pain intensified, but then she felt relief; her eyes fluttered open in surprise to see her hand glowing white over Tiamat's injuries. The wounds were gone when the light disappeared, and the hatchling was wholly healed; Tiamat chirped and twittered as she sniffed her stomach and scratched her sides with her hind claw.

Are you and Doragon able to communicate with her?

Thor shook his head. I don't know how, but her mind is so twisted. We tried to before when you announced you wanted to keep her.

When Tiamat curled up beside Thor's foreclaw, Azrael offered to continue his teachings behind the elements. He bent over and picked up a stick from the brasier to draw with the charcoals on the pier. "Pray don't knock the city from the sky, but air magic is more about freedom."

Thor's eyes glimmered. Like how a dragon feels in the sky, he commented.

"When you breathe in deeply, you feel the energy of the air and reflect that you have this energy within yourself. It's the power of the mind and intellect, and it's considered a vital spirit that passes through all living things, giving life: air magic binds all things together." When he stopped, Selena saw that he drew curvy lines that depicted a wind storm. "Before starting anything, you should meditate first and let your mind be free."

Tiamat worked her way to crawl back into Selena's lap, but Azrael reached down and picked her up. Thor and Doragon nodded and left the pier through a flutter of wings. We shall not disturb you, my dearest one. Doragon and I will go hunting, and we'll return soon.

Thank you.

As the two dragons soared away from the floating city, Selena closed her eyes and drew in a lung full of fresh air. The night was calm and relaxing, like her mind drowning out the thunder and lightning from Azrael's enchantment; the sound of the breeze filled her ears until her muscles melted. Her arms and shoulders fell loose, and her head tilted forward. At first, her thoughts drifted over to Thor, but she did her best to resist the temptation to speak with him. Instead, she didn't think at all.

An hour passed in silence; the serenity brought her mind and spirit into a sweet surrender, free of all worries and cares of the world. She finally opened her eyes as if awakening from a deep sleep, her gaze steady to the horizon, and her face lambent with faint starlight.

She stood up, her eyes narrowed, and she punched forward. However, a blast of air sent her backwards and slammed into the pole before falling face-first. Azrael laughed but stopped when she glared at him from the ground. Feeling agitated, Selena regained her posture and dusted herself off. She inhaled deeply before trying again, and this time, when she punched forward, her summoned gusts followed. "It's almost like fire," Selena observed as she made another air blast skyward.

Azrael nodded. "Air and fire mix in harmony—for instance, fire needs air to burn. Then, there are the opposites, like fire and water, and air and earth." He paused when Selena inquired about light and dark Aether and scratched his head. "Light and dark are utterly different, opposites on the spectrum of Aether magic.

"Channeling dark energy is black magic, involving the manipulation of free will and necromancy. However, this can be deadly if it backfires; hence it's outlawed in Armageddon. Its opposite, light, is the energy permeating the natural world, usually as either lightning or a light beam. Light Aether is in tune with our world, so knowing the primary magic is essential. Once you understand the main four, you can fully grasp light Aether—my energy pistols are an example.

"If you could master both light and dark Aether, think of all you could do: stop time, prevent natural disasters, create a new world—the possibilities are endless. It's only limited by what you're capable of and how much of a strain your body can take. As a conduit, you're channeling so much energy through your body. You're guiding the magic to where it needs to go, so be careful not to muck it all up."

Selena asked through widened eyes, "Has anyone accomplished mastering light and dark Aether?"

"To be honest, I don't think so—not even Silver. I don't know how to use it, nor have I seen the other two Divines."

Selena's face turned pale, and her blood ran ice cold. "Silver has. On our way to Alfheim, he showed us that he could manipulate Rahim's free will and forced him to reveal hidden secrets subconsciously."

"I'll be damned; that old bastard never ceases to amaze me. He probably has other tricks hidden up his sleeve, but I wouldn't recommend it."

Selena bit her cheek. "I don't plan to, but why wouldn't the Divines know how to use both?"

"Because it wasn't until the time of Venexus that we knew there was such thing as both: he discovered and experimented with it. Even after what happened in Oblivion, we decided never to attempt the deviant art, as it would only lead to destruction."

"I see. Perhaps Silver was right in showing me. Maybe I should learn—"

Azrael immediately interrupted her. "You shouldn't mess around with dark Aether—you could get yourself killed."

"Even if it means to defend myself?"

"I said no. I know your heart is in the right place, but dark Aether could easily corrupt you. Besides, I know you have other things that you need to do, like figuring out how to control your dragon state. Have you thought about how you're going to do that yet?"

Selena shook her head. "I was hoping to when we returned to Alfheim and see what Silver thinks." She was surprised by Azrael's reaction, wondering why he would care if harm befell her. "You never cease to amaze me."

Azrael narrowed his eyes at her. "What do you mean?"

"Your concern for me—I don't think I've ever seen that side of you before." Without warning, Azrael's face flushed, and he turned away. "What was that for?"

"Nothing."

Selena said: "Don't say that. Why can't you tell me how you feel?"

"I don't feel anything," Azrael snapped. Tiamat squirmed in his arms, and he hung his head. "Forgive me. I'm so used to letting my anger control me." He looked up and met her concerned gaze. "Yours and Thor's existence means we have a chance at changing our future, and I'm ashamed to admit that it took me a while to realize it. After traveling with you, I'm starting to understand your ways. I still struggle," he nodded to Tiamat, "but I'm trying. Doragon and I had accepted the world's fate for the longest time. It may sound strange coming from me, but we won't have a reason to exist if everyone dies. The Lich's new world would be one without the Divines. You've given us hope, and I don't want to see you do anything reckless."

Instead of words, Selena reached out and brought him into a hug. It was an unexpected gesture, but Azrael wrapped one arm around her back. However, their silent communion was interrupted when Tiamat squirmed in Azrael's other arm, jumping down and hissing as she had done before.

Selena pulled away, but Azrael pointed to the full-grown monstrosity flying in their direction. Upon closer examination, it was a lonely masked dragon; they believed it was the same gauding creature from the Ankoku Pass, but it screeched as it soared above the floating city, its metallic wings shimmering in the moonlight.

When Selena called out for Thor of the imminent danger lurking above them, his and Doragon's roars could be heard from a great distance; yet, she was afraid the two dragons wouldn't arrive in time as the masked behemoth circled overhead. It withheld his devastating breath attacks that could reduce Nuvak to cinders in moments, but its smoldering eyes burned from its mask, fixated on her, Azrael, and Tiamat.

Tiamat spat out acid globs and exhaled its poisoned mist while backing away, quivering in fear. Ignoring the hatchling, Azrael took his defensive stance after summoning his Aether pistols; Selena prepared to use magic, though she suspected her attacks to be folly against the creature. However, Selena's attention remained on subduing Tiamat when she circled them, attacking blindly.

Azrael swore and fired a quick shot at the alarmed hatchling; his bullets missed, and the creature spat acid in his direction. "Blast it; Rahim and I warned you that this would happen."

Selena's emerald eyes shimmered as she stood in between him and Tiamat. "Please, stop—she didn't mean to."

Meanwhile, the masked dragon drew close, its claws battle-ready. It tucked in its metal wings and dropped into a deep, swift dive like a falcon about to snatch its prey.

Yet, Selena remained oblivious to the looming danger; she knelt before Tiamat with tears and held out her arms. "I know you're not a monster." She leaned down and reached out to pet Tiamat, but she nipped and hissed. Ignoring the small gashes the hatchling made into her arms, Selena pulled Tiamat close; she finally calmed down and rubbed her head against hers.

Azrael looked confused and nearly dropped his pistols, but his eyes widened when he saw the diving dragon almost upon them; he made haste to her side. Before Selena could react, Tiamat forcefully headbutted her out of the way as the masked dragon swooped in and skewered Tiamat with its sharp talons before taking off with her body.

"No!" Selena cried and tried running after it, but Azrael grabbed her shoulders, holding her in place. The masked dragon carried Tiamat's lifeless body away before vanishing over the dark horizon.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

555 3 51
Comments appreciated 😁 Book 1 of the 4 book series: Ex Navy Seal Chaos Alabaster Frost was a shapeshifter born in a world of monsters, myth, and fan...
846 274 47
For the first time in the history of Magix, two humans rise to the throne. One, a highschooler; named Haven, as the next Queen. The other a young ceo...
1.9K 589 58
Crimson Waldorf might be in a land of beautiful and mystical things but her life is quite ugly in the beginning. As she fights for what she wants so...
84.2K 7K 48
Four years ago, Morgan was found half-dead near the dragon village of Thorsbury Upon Wick. Morgan cannot remember what happened to her, but the villa...