Empire of Blood

Autorstwa 129cdmuller

When the young Selena Liongod unexpectedly became the companion of the noble and gifted dragon named Thor, th... Więcej

Chapter 1: Dragonfire and Steel
Chapter 2: A Dragon's Secret
Chapter 3: The Aynu
Chapter 4: The Hearing
Chapter 5: The Mythic Flight
Chapter 6: Oathbound
Chapter 7: His Dark Majesty's Mercy
Chapter 8: The Dragon's Dance
Chapter 9: The Masked Dragons
Chapter 10: The Shepherd of Souls
Chapter 12: The Forest
Chapter 13: The King of Rhumbek
Chapter 14: The Dragon and the Wolf
Chapter 15: Imprisoned
Chapter 16: The Mad God
Chapter 17: Artio's Blessing
Chapter 18: Unmovable and Unstoppable
Chapter 19: A Shadow Over Nuvak
Chapter 20: Death's Masquerade
Chapter 21: Tiamat
Chapter 22: Fire and Water
Chapter 23: City of Secrets
Chapter 24: The Woman With the Cobra Tattoos
Chapter 25: The Dragon and the Snake
Chapter 26: Red Rain
Chapter 27: Blood on the Ice
Chapter 28: The Long Night

Chapter 11: Rahim's Teacher

20 0 0
Autorstwa 129cdmuller

Once Thor and Doragon had embarked on their mission to Snowhaven, Silver returned to Dragonstone; he found Vulduin Xyrrion and Kain Vanguard—with his coffin-shaped case propped against the august couch—waiting for him inside the drawing room, courtesy of the footman. Vulduin donned his Phantom Dust disguise by wearing a black and white mask bearing the black fox symbol of Gundisalvus; yet, he still sported his regal red frock tailcoat embellished with gold buckles and trimmings.

Kain peered at him with his crimson eyes and gave Silver a toothy grin, his fangs and eye color giving away his vampiric nature. A white stripe parted his jet-black hair, intensely contrasting a scarlet cloth wrapped around his neck and stuffed into a black collared gentleman's shirt. Yet, he looked like a wild man with no concern for following a formal dress code: shirt untucked with dirtied black breeches and boots. However, his chiseled face gleamed from a fresh shave.

Silver dug his nails into his palm until his fingers turned white. "Who do you two think you are, letting yourselves freely into my house—?"

The Shadow Emperor lifted his mask; his expressionless pale, sculpted face unnerving his companions upon removing the veil. His deep blue eyes were an empty abyss, piercing the tense air lingering between the two. "Still your Emperor and now your future father-in-law, so might I suggest you sit down and join us, Genesis."

Silver scowled. "I've told you before, Your Imperial Majesty, to call me Silver. Don't tell me what I can't and cannot do, especially in my home."

Kain interrupted before Vulduin could, "Sit your arse down—you're not making any sense," but Silver scoffed as he made himself clear that Vulduin had no right to command his actions.

Vulduin sighed and ran his fingers through his raven feathered hair when Silver begrudgingly offered them tea and refreshments. "Green tea and honey for me, please."

Silver sneered as he wandered into the kitchen. "Like father, like daughter."

When he returned with their drinks of choice—black coffee for Kain—and biscuits, Kain gruffly remarked, "I still believe you're too old to be with her, but I suppose I will never understand what the Crown Princess sees in you."

A pained and twisted look appeared on Silver's face. He lost his stance and almost fell face-first to the floor, but he caught himself and fixed his glasses. Yet, Silver recoiled when Vulduin said through peering over his glass, "But he still has the heart and mind of a child." Yet, the actual reason behind their surprising visit quickly grew apparent. Silver rubbed his temples as he paced about the drawing room when their topic of discussion changed to the unexpected attack on Alfheim; their already tense atmosphere steeped from the grim conversation. Vulduin set his cup down. "What do you make of this, Genesis?"

Growling under his breath, Silver sighed when he paused and held his hands behind his back, contemplatively staring at the roaring fireplace. "From what I've gathered, I believe those creatures used to be normal dragons. However, I highly suspect their alteration is the Lich's work—I have no doubts." He turned around to meet Vulduin's and Kain's terrified gazes. "I fear that necromancer might have used my old research notes from the Well of Souls when he destroyed my laboratory. If so, I believe that these creatures are the result."

Vulduin squinted at him before taking another drink. "This is all based on assumption. It seems that your line of thinking might be improbable, Genesis. After all, the Well was only to bring the dead back. Am I correct?"

"Yes, you are." Silver spun on his heels and lifted his chin. "However, if that magic and research were to fall into the wrong hands—"

A low rumble escaped from Kain's throat when he wholly interrupted. "Wait, are you saying that the Lich recreated the Well?"

"I-I dunno for sure, but—"

Kain bolted from his set and grabbed the collar of Silver's jacket; though he stood to Silver's shoulders, Kain was strong enough to lift the admiral off his feet. "How could you have been so bloody careless?"

Vulduin snarled like an angry wolf when he stood up, and Kain immediately released his grip. "That's enough, now please, sit down. Kain, we don't know for sure, as I've said; this is all based on his hypothesis." Kain and Silver gave each other a firm nod and rejoined the Shadow Emperor in civilized company. "This whole ordeal has been too much for my liking."

Kain watched Silver like a predator eyeing its prey. "Especially after that trial, I would assume so. I would advise Genesis to tread carefully across these dangerous waters."

Vulduin's eyes darted between the two, but he sighed and said, "It's difficult giving away and parting with one's child," he nodded to Silver, "I wouldn't have parted with her to anyone less deserving." The three relished in the heartfelt moment, and before Kain could engage in playful banter, Vulduin added, "If I didn't know any better, I see that you have taken quite an interest in someone as well, Captain Vanguard."

Kain snorted as he took another drink. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"I've seen how you looked at her when escorting her out of Alfheim to meet with Lord Godfrey's sentries. Oh, take care, my old friend; Godfrey will ensure her safety at Winterguard. What was her name, Maria?"

Kain looked away and closed his eyes, but he didn't deny it; Vulduin sneered but then warned, "I pray we haven't drawn too much attention to ourselves—Vidar has been off his rocker."

Silver scowled. "If only Aydin Jormungand were still here. The Council had never been in such disarray before."

Vulduin cringed at the mention of Aydin's name, but he agreed. "You're right, but alas, he's not here anymore." He pulled out a sealed parcel and handed it to Kain. "Please, deliver this and give my regards to Lord Vincent Godfrey in Dark Blood Hold, as I believe the next time he and I meet will be under different circumstances." He then turned to Silver and bowed. "Thank you for the tea, but I'm afraid I must take my leave."

Silver raised a brow. "So soon, and when I was getting used to having your company?"

Vulduin scoffed and donned his mask. "I must reach Snowhaven and then Starsong. Farewell." Before stepping out the door, he had transformed into a massive, red dire wolf in mid-spring down the stairs, his sleek and glossy pelt shining in dawn's light. His claws clicked against the rocks, crimson fur bristling along his spine and tail.

When Silver and Kain approached the door, Vulduin had vanished beyond the lake as he soared across the ground in gigantic leaps, traveling at Divine's speed.

*****

Soaring through Armageddon's arctic skies was a freeing, exhilarated rush that reminded Selena of what it meant to be a dragon. Maintaining a steady speed of about fifty kilometers calculated by Azrael, Thor and Doragon flew beside each other, sailing across the breath of the Divines as their favorable wind gently ushered them away from Alfheim. The rejuvenated dragons had spent a few hours in flight, fresh like the new rising sun now peering over the horizon. Though Armageddon was always icy due to the continent's proximity to the far north, Selena was wholly warm, courtesy of Silver's gift.

Her stomach rumbled with hunger when Rahim rummaged through one bag and pulled out bread and cheese. To her shock, Rahim broke off pieces to hand them to her. "I have plenty to share."

"I'm surprised by your sudden generosity, as you never share."

The offended Rahim stuck up his nose, but he asked about her dragon abilities, seeing as they finally had time for a proper discussion. Owing him the truth, Selena regaled him of her discovery, as Kain had rescued Rahim before witnessing her initial transformation. He grinned, and all he could say was, "Wicked."

Selena's mind raced to what the other provinces would compare to the Fire Kingdom as the two indulged in food, and she shared her thoughts with Thor. I can't wait to see Rhumbek.

They heard the Eaglewater Express from a distance below, traveling full speed from the dwarven city with the promised shipments General Araneus had mentioned.

Neither can I. I wonder if the city is full of technology like what we found before.

That would be wonderful, but now I wonder why they haven't shared their knowledge with the world.

As Thor and Doragon continued coasting throughout the following hours, Azrael worked more with Selena on learning about Aether and understanding what each of the elements represented, as they had plenty of time. Yet, Rahim shuddered while remarking, "Why do you want Death to teach you?"

"Death and time are good teachers."

Azrael made an uncomfortable noise and shifted in his place. "I'm not a good teacher. Please stop saying that," but Selena continued insisting otherwise. He sighed. "I suppose I'll do what I can. However, please bear in mind that I don't know everything—I thought I did, being a Divine. If any good came from my banishment, it was that I learned more about what magic was."

Doragon inched close enough to Thor for Azrael to hop across his wings and jump into Thor's saddle, joining Selena and Rahim. He sat down cross-legged and began sharing his wisdom. "The more you can understand, the more powerful you'll become as a Divinity Dragon—Thor, you should pay attention, too." Thor snaked his head around, and his forked tongue slithered from his serrated fangs.

As they headed towards the Earth Kingdom Province, Selena requested to learn more about the earth itself; during Azrael's education, Rahim groaned, but he listened in on the lesson. "All magic came from dragons until mortals learned how to harness the surrounding energy. As the basis of all other elements, the earth is mighty, stable, and the heart of life itself, only achievable to those in tune with nature. Everything comes from the earth, providing shelter for the creatures inhabiting it. When you touch the dirt, you can feel its vitality and strength. And when we die, our bodies become part of the ground. This energy thrives within and around us: we can't exist without it."

Selena nodded and took a solid and steady stance, rigid and stable, powerful and unmovable; her heartbeat turned into a steady drum, and her body relaxed. Selena maintained a calm mind and imagined a still pool of water; she was tranquil and peaceful.

Though Thor was high in the sky, when she slammed her hand down, the earth quaked with seismic tremors giving way to her will. Azrael and Rahim backed away, afraid she would strike them down from the air; however, Thor and Doragon watched Selena's performance with great interest. The cracks below spread in all directions, and Selena summoned rock spikes shooting skyward into towering spires. Thor and Doragon weaved through the sudden peaks and towers, dodging her rocky maze; Selena fixed her mistakes by leveling out the earth with Thor's help, and the landscape resumed its shape.

When all was clear again, Azrael swore under his breath as he stood up, panting. "Confound it all; that damn Xyaxon and Ulrich ought to reconsider creating something as powerful as Divinity Dragons. Perhaps we should focus our education elsewhere before destroying the world ourselves."

Selena laughed, but she immediately thought of learning how to dual-wield weapons as the Lich had during the Battle of Alfheim. Azrael squinted at her when she made the request. "Dual-wielding Aether pistols isn't the same as using two swords."

"I believe I'll grow proficient with your wisdom."

When night descended upon the land, the two dragons landed through the soft flail of tired and burning wings between some hills outside Moonridge. After Selena, Rahim, and Azrael dismounted, unpacked, and removed their dragons' harnesses, Thor stretched out his wings before declaring, I'm going hunting.

He launched himself skyward, followed by Doragon, and the dragons flew away as quickly as they had arrived, their combined weight making the earth rumble. Yet, shortly after making the campfire and setting up their tents, Selena and Rahim fell into a deep stupor before Thor and Doragon returned from their evening hunt, clean of the gore. Thor wrapped around Selena and Rahim, bringing them within his protective wings, shielding them from the cold as the flames died out. Azrael, however, leaned against Doragon's foreleg and watched the stars drift overhead.

Selena awoke the following day just as the sun's rays lanced through the heavens, but Rahim looked as though he had been up for a while; he watched Azrael like a hawk, exhibiting similar distrust he had in Silver upon their first meeting. He glared as Azrael bent over to grab a stick and slashed the air with it like a sword. "He hasn't slept at all last night."

Selena looked between the indifferent Azrael, then back to him. "Why are you always suspicious of everyone?"

Rahim held a pained expression. "Have you forgotten what he did to you?"

Selena rummaged through her pack for a used rag and a vial of oil for Thor's scales. "No, I haven't, but I forgave him and made my peace."

"You made peace with Death."

Selena raised an eyebrow. "Is that bad?"

"Damn—yes? No? I dunno. Why am I the only one who is uncomfortable?" Rahim threw his hands up in the air and kicked the dirt.

Selena sighed and went to wash Thor down with oil; he opened one eye when she asked his permission to unfasten his jewelry. Although he was hesitant at first, Thor eventually agreed for her to remove his trinkets. Just for a little while, my dear one. Your scales need to gleam like your gold and gems.

Thor snorted, his pupiled-slits fixated on his treasures, anxiously ensuring they were safe and sound. As soon as Selena was done oiling his wrists, neck, and back to prevent his hide from chaffing, she assisted in fastening his trinkets back in their rightful places, and Thor was delighted.

Thank you, my dear. He snaked his head around to examine his shimmering scales compared to his dazzling jewels. Yet, Rahim's continued grumbles and mumbles added to his agitation; Thor stood up, tail sweeping across the ground, and released a low roar upon the ignorant Rahim. He stumbled and fell backwards, and Thor snorted in satisfaction. It's too early in the morning for this headache.

Doragon jerked awake from the startling sound, but he groaned, stretching out his claws and taking clumps of dirt with each pass he made. Azrael spun around with a furrow in his brow, and Rahim whimpered and hurried back. Selena approached to talk, but he sniffled as he dusted himself off, held up his hand, and marched away.

"What's wrong with him?" Azrael asked, moving towards the scene.

Overcome with remorse, Selena excused herself from Azrael and called for Rahim's return. "Please, talk to me."

Even though he ignored her, she rushed to his side. After several minutes of walking, he eventually sat on a boulder and gave a huff in defeat. When she drew near, he finally said, "Sometimes I wish you would listen to me. You always seem to know what to do, and you're certain of who you are, but I feel like I don't always have a voice—I'm not anyone special."

Selena knelt beside him and placed a hand on his shoulder. "I'm sorry to make you feel like that, but I don't want you to worry when there isn't anything to worry about."

Rahim's face turned red, and he fumed. "That's what I'm talking about. You don't understand, and I'm still uneasy; sometimes, I hate that you only see from your perspective."

"Then explain it to me so I can understand," Selena said again, "why don't you trust Azrael?"

"I dunno—maybe because he isn't the first person I want to see after I die, or perhaps I don't know what lies beyond life." Rahim sighed. "I'm sorry. You said you've made your peace with him, but I haven't."

Selena hung her head in defeat and shame. "Death isn't the end. It may be for this world, but it's only a gateway to the next—a beginning of a new journey. But that doesn't mean that life isn't precious. We should make the most of the time we have left."

Rahim sniffed but nodded in agreement. "You're right, but then I want to feel useful. Azrael and Doragon have their Divine magic, and you and Thor are powerful Divinity Dragons, but I don't have anything—I'm just plain and ordinary."

"That's not true. You're the mastermind behind our plans who handles the map and guides us; we'd be lost without you. Not to mention, but Thor and I wouldn't have been able to join the Force if you hadn't helped us."

"I appreciate your effort to help me feel better, but I want to be useful when fighting. I saw how brilliant you were against the Lich, and I was jealous—I felt like I couldn't do anything."

When Selena recalled her feelings of inadequacy and self-loathing, she had no idea Rahim suffered the same; she suddenly realized he had attempted to confess his hidden sentiments before finding Ragnarok. It pained her to know she wholly dismissed them without a second thought. "Pray forgive me for not seeing it before, and I want to help you. What is it that you've always wanted to do?"

Rahim's expression lit up. "Well, I can't use magic, but maybe I can learn how to use a weapon."

Thor's voice rumbled in the back of her mind. Maybe we can take him shopping in the town nearby.

I think he'll appreciate that.

Selena relayed Thor's suggestion, and a huge grin appeared on Rahim's face; he jumped up to hug her, then ran over to embrace Thor. "Thank you."

That's a fantastic suggestion, my dear, and I know he will never forget it.

I know how much it means to you. I would rather see Rahim happy than have all the jewels and gold in the world.

Shortly after, both Thor and Doragon went out hunting. Meanwhile, Selena, Azrael, and Rahim hiked a short distance over to the blacksmith shop in Moonridge. Azrael stood back while Rahim eagerly searched through the shop's merchandise.

The blacksmith set up most of the weapons outside with a practice dummy in the corner, with two wooden racks filled with swords and daggers hoisted behind. A forge was nestled to the side under the opened ceiling, smoke wafting skyward. Empty wooden plaques covered the middle wall behind the lined, heavily armored mannequins. Beside them was a metal safe filled with firearms of different sizes and calibers, covered in rust with age and use, but a few appeared brand new. Selena immediately knew that she would have to help him pick one out no matter which weapon Rahim chose.

"Maybe this?" Rahim picked up a longbow hanging from the first rack.

"Be careful, as the draw is a bit heavy," the blacksmith warned. Rahim ignored his caution and walked to the practice dummy but, to his dismay, couldn't draw it back.

Azrael groaned and pinched the bridge of his nose. "Are you sure that this is a good idea?"

Selena shrugged. "Why wouldn't it be?"

"Are we forgetting that we're supposed to reach Snowhaven? We don't have time for this nonsense."

"We'll be fine, and look how happy he is." Selena pointed to him as he picked up a firearm hanging in the safe, completely ignoring their conversation.

"He shouldn't even be coming with us in the first place. Why in Oblivion—?"

Selena whipped her head around, and Azrael tightened his lip. "It's my mother's Air Force, and I extended him the invitation, if you happen to recall. You'll learn how we work together as a team as we travel. And besides, since Rahim is coming with us, he will need to be armed so he can help us fight if the situation arises."

Selena knew that Azrael was still unhappy with her answer, but he stopped arguing. "Fine. I'm going to restock on supplies—let's meet back with Thor and Doragon in an hour."

As Azrael left, Rahim ran over and grabbed Selena's arm. "I want to learn how to shoot a gun. Can you show me?"

He brought her inside, and the blacksmith immediately burst into laughter. "She's a woman and doesn't know anything about weapons. Her place is in the kitchen, scrubbing the floors and cooking meals for any man willing to tolerate her."

Selena suddenly felt vulnerable, but Rahim rushed to her defense. "That's not true. I bet you she knows more about weapons and fighting than you do."

The blacksmith continued bellowing with laughter and wiped his eyes from a joke he only found funny. "Why don't you go back into the kitchen where you belong, housewife?"

Selena paid no mind to the blacksmith's sexist remarks; when Rahim showed her the weapon, she wasn't sure how to explain that he would make a terrible decision. She pointed at his choice and said bluntly, "That's a harpoon gun."

"So? Imagine getting shot by one of these."

"They're not practical. You would prefer something that could carry more ammo as you would only get one shot from this, and reloading is a pain."

Rahim's smile disappeared. "Oh."

Selena redirected him over to the other available firearm selections. "What about this revolver? It's a Winclock too: the same model we use in the Air Force." She whipped out the one holstered to her belt so she could compare, and she sneered when the blacksmith's eyes widened, shocked by her knowledge. "It can hold at least six rounds, and you can fire a series of shots without reloading. These are very accurate: they're designed for aerial combat with the dragon rider in mind." She held it up delicately as she inspected its design. The blued barrel was short and thick, closer to the grip; the dwarves who built the Winclocks in Alfheim figured out how to design for better accuracy and faster shooting. "This was well taken care of and fairly clean, too. I can show you how to load it. It's reliable, steady, and easy to shoot, making it the ideal gun for dragonback."

Both Selena and Rahim looked up to see the blacksmith staring at her, utterly dumbstruck. "May I buy this with a holster and ammunition, or should I return to the kitchen?" She smirked and tossed fifty gold pieces on the countertop.

Selena ensured they walked away with enough bullets to practice with and use in actual combat. As they left with their purchases, Rahim turned to the baffled blacksmith, raising a fist in victory for Selena's win. Yet, she yanked him by the collar when he was about to blurt out her imperial connection, whispering, "You can't tell other people that," but Rahim only shrugged.

The trek back was filled with questions Rahim kept firing; she was a little exhausted and grew weary of his curiosity, but she was happy to see his enthusiasm. Selena attempted to answer them all, but eventually, she said: "How about I show you? It'll be much easier."

Thor and Doragon had returned with their latest catch, an elk dangling from each foreclaw; they gulped them down in seconds, save for their horns. Azrael, however, was busy firing shots with his Aether pistols at his self-made stone targets, blasting them into Oblivion. When he noticed they had returned, Azrael said, "It's about bloody time. We need to get moving soon."

Doragon licked his chops and let out a long groan, and Azrael flinched when Doragon swept his tail across the dirt, destroying his rock dummies in dust billows.

"I think he wants to rest," Selena observed.

Rahim bounced in his spot. "Besides, she was going to show me how to shoot."

"Oh, buggery—if you two want to waste more time, fine." Azrael shot down his last standing target before walking away; even Doragon moaned and snorted, blowing smoke rings flaring with embers that singed his shirt. After extinguishing the flames, Azrael swore under his breath and stomped towards Doragon in mumbles and grumbles before marching over the hill.

"Ignore him. Here, I'll help you." Selena explained how the gun worked, how to handle it properly, how to load, and so on; Rahim remained intrigued with each piece of wisdom she had to offer. She worked with him on placement and had Rahim practice shooting it with one of Azrael's stone targets while warning that "unless you intend to kill, as a safety measure, you must always keep her finger off the trigger." Starting at a short distance away, Rahim was able to get used to shooting after a few misses. Yet, Selena cheered him on. "You're doing great."

"Do you think so?"

"I know you'll make a great sharpshooter yet. Make sure you shoot with both eyes open: it will help you move on to your next target more quickly."

Despite Azrael's wishes, Selena spent the remainder of the afternoon and early evening shooting with Rahim, his fingers getting loose after growing used to the trigger's feel. Copying Azrael's practice regimen, Selena summoned stone targets shaped like the robed zealots from the Obsidian Order. She and Rahim worked together on quickly firing down each dummy until the two could clear a group of ten within five seconds, rapidly and accurately engaging their targets.

Soon, she had him practice from more than twenty meters away. After tweaking his sights slightly, Rahim quickly adjusted to the distance change, and, true to Selena's predicted praise, he was slowly growing to be a perfectly able gunslinger. When Thor and Doragon were ready to leave, Rahim still wished to keep practicing; while airborne, Selena accommodated him by summoning rock disks she launched in the air, and Rahim focused on shooting them down. He missed more than he blasted, but Selena was satisfied by his prowess.

Yet, among all the gunfire, Thor asked her as he and Doragon cruised side by side, How do thunder and lightning bother you, but these other loud noises have no effect? Is your fear truly more psychological?

Selena suddenly cringed and recoiled when her past nightmares from the Lich resurfaced; Thor was right, as she had associated the loud storm noises with the dark spells tormenting her dreamland; her lack of response was more than enough confirmation for Thor.

Please forgive me, my dearest one. I didn't mean to bring it up, but I was curious.

You have no reason to apologize; I would rather have you understand than assume.

Of course, and now I understand more clearly.

Thor and Doragon insisted on flying nonstop for a few days in hopes of reaching Rhumbek soon. As fast and steady as their flight was, even though they had made it into the Earth Kingdom Province yesterday, they were still two—perhaps three—days away from arriving at the capital. Selena hoped they would make it to the dwarven city by now, but Rahim reassured her they were still making good time.

"With Thor's and Doragon's endurance, they're very swift fliers; I'd reckon we'll reach Snowhaven in less than a month," Rahim soothed. When he ran his calculations by Azrael, he agreed, though he still grumbled that they needed to arrive and leave the Water Kingdom capital as soon as possible. Selena couldn't understand why Azrael was so keen on finishing this mission quickly when they were making good time.

Yet, by the fourth evening of continuous flying since leaving Moonridge, Thor announced: I'm growing weary, and I believe Doragon is in the same state.

You two are amazing. Pray, find us some shelter closer to the Hinterlands' border, my dear.

When the two dragons decided on a location closer to the Hinterlands, they made their graceful descent. The trees bent and yielded to the might of their wings, their membranes like sails stretched tautly. Once Selena and her group unpacked and unstrapped their harnesses, Thor and Doragon collapsed, wrapping themselves within their coils before falling into a deep slumber. Their wings laid loosely on the ground, too exhausted to fold.

The trio relaxed by the fire Selena ignited, yet they were too awake to fall asleep. Selena expected Azrael didn't need to, but she was surprised to see Rahim's tenacity. She yawned but leaned against Thor's limp wing, the membranes catching her body like a hammock. The curiosity getting the best of her, she asked, "Azrael, have you ever been to Rhumbek?"

His eyes widened with shock, but he looked down at his feet. "I have, but it's been a very long time."

Rahim fed her curiosity by asking, "What was the city like?"

"It's been many years, but the Emerald Dragon, Ulrich, destroyed Rhumbek the last time I was there."

Selena squinted at him. "Why would he do such a thing?"

"The Earth Kingdom is his territory—he watches over the dwarves and decides their fate. Ulrich is a cursed mad god; I pray for those who are unlucky enough to cross his path."

"Can I say that it's both incredible and scary at the same time that you're one of the Divines we worship?" Rahim asked in nervousness.

"I told you, I'm not a god anymore—I'm just the Shepherd of Souls."

"You're still Death." Selena corrected.

"That may be so, but I still have to earn the Divine title and status," Azrael growled. "I don't want to keep talking about this anymore."

"Okay, I'm sorry." Selena held up her hands in defense. "I didn't mean to offend you, but that leaves me to wonder: did any of their old technology survive Ulrich's onslaught?"

"No," Azrael confirmed, "the dwarves abandoned everything in ruins scattered across the Empire."

It greatly pained Selena to think that their most significant discoveries were wasted somewhere underground; if only Ulrich left the dwarves be. "I thought it would be fascinating since Thor and I discovered their mechanism that can read starlight to tell the past, present, and future."

"When was this?" Azrael asked. "I don't remember hearing about anything that can do that."

Selena stared at him, unsure of how to explain. However, she cleared her throat to try. "It was at the time when the Lich attacked Alfheim when we were chasing after the legend of Ragnarok."

"Legends don't destroy cities." Azrael barked, but he sighed when Selena continued with her tale. "I believe you, but I'm surprised that the dwarves were able to reach that kind of power," he growled, "who knows what could be waiting for us in Rhumbek?"

*****

Czytaj Dalej

To Też Polubisz

727 128 16
**SHORTLISTED - ONC2024** Prompt: "Fairytales are real" and there couldn't be anything worse." "Hi, my name is Rue, and my fairytale is worse than Ci...
194 1 29
"Like the fire in a dragon's belly, Selena's irresistible bond with Thor powers this book and series, bringing fresh urgency to epic fantasy storytel...
555 3 51
Comments appreciated 😁 Book 1 of the 4 book series: Ex Navy Seal Chaos Alabaster Frost was a shapeshifter born in a world of monsters, myth, and fan...
653K 43.1K 49
[Exciting news! This story is now 100% free!] A young sorceress, sworn to protect life at all costs, must choose whether to sacrifice her humanity or...