JUMP STREET'S JUNE BRIDE???

By Cowboy0928

I am just a big fan of the tv show. I don't own any rights to it. This is a story about two police officers... More

CHAPTER 1: SYDNEY'S BAD NIGHT
CHAPTER 2: TOM HANSON
CHAPTER 3: BAD FIRST IMPRESSIONS
CHAPTER 4: THE MORNING AFTER
CHAPTER 5: HEARTFELT APOLOGY
CHAPTER 6: GIRL TALK
CHAPTER 7: MATCHMAKER JUDY AND TRUCE
CHAPTER 8: TOM IS F***ED
CHAPTER 9: HOW CAN I FIX THIS
CHAPTER 10: FRIENDS?
CHAPTER 11: YOU WOULDN'T WANT TO DO ME A FAVOR WOULD YOU?
CHAPTER 12: ALL NIGHT STAKE OUT
CHAPTER 13: BAD DAY
CHAPTER 14: OFFERING COMFORT
CHAPTER 15: YOU GOT A DATE
CHAPTER: 16 COUNT ON ME
CHAPTER 17: REVENGE
CHAPTER 18: PRE WEDDING-BLUES
CHAPTER 19: WEDDING ARRIVAL
CHAPTER 20: WEDDING BOMBSHELL
CHAPTER 21: WE'RE ENGAGED
CHAPTER 22: DARK DAY AND FLASHBACKS
CHAPTER 23: THREATS AND TORTURE
CHAPTER 24: WE ARE NOT ENGAGED
CHAPTER 25: IN THE MIDNIGHT HOUR
CHAPTER 26: TOM'S BEGGING
CHAPTER 27: JEALOUSY
CHAPTER 28: MEETING THE FAMILY
CHAPTER 29: PARTY CRASHERS
CHAPTER 30: RETALIATION
CHAPTER 31: TOM'S FEELS THE HEAT
CHAPTER 32: DIAMONDS AND DREAMS
CHAPTER 33: SWIM PARTY FOR TWO
CHAPTER 34: TEASING AND EMBARRASSING STORIES
CHAPTER 35: FIREWORKS GOOD AND BAD
CHAPTER 36: FACING THE DAMAGE DONE
CHAPTER 37: BABIES AND DREAMS
CHAPTER 38: BULLIES AND THE BOXER
CHAPTER 39: THE BAD BOY AND THE KNIFE
CHAPTER 40: DOUBLE DATES
CHAPTER 41: FIRE STARTER AND CLOSE CALLS
CHAPTER 43: THE WAITING GAME
CHAPTER 44: A HERO'S REWARD
CHAPTER 45: SURPRISES
CHAPTER 46: WEDDING DRESS DISASTER
CHAPTER 47: TOM'S CHOICE
CHAPTER 48: ROB'S REVENGE
CHAPTER 49: BLINDSIDED
CHAPTER 50: WHAT DID YOU DO?
CHAPTER 51: OVERWHELMED
CHAPTER 52: WEDDING EVE
CHAPTER 53: WEDDING DAY
CHAPTER 54: THE TRUTH COMES OUT
CHAPTER 55: REST OF MY LIFE
CHAPTER 56: OUR LIFE
CHAPTER 57: THE CAPTAIN'S WIFE
CHAPTER 58: LAST CHAPTER: MY MARIA

CHAPTER 42: PROM AND HERO IN A TUX

14 1 0
By Cowboy0928

It was Friday, the night before the prom.  Tom was in a really bad mood.  Snapping at anyone who said anything when we had a meeting at work.  We drove home in silence.

I said, "can I ask if you want dinner, without getting snapped at?"

Tom said, "I'm sorry. But Sydney we have no idea who is starting these fires, and tomorrow is the prom. We are out of time. And you and Judy are in danger. I can't let anything happen to either of you."

I said, "I know that you're worried. That all of you guys are."

Tom said, "Sydney would you please reconsider."  I said, "Tom please don't ask me to not go to prom. I already went over this with my dad and Jay at lunch. They want me to not go."

Tom said, "you can't blame them, they love you, and are worried and scared for you."

I said, "I know that, and I feel bad that they are worried, that I put that on them, but it's my job."

I said, " Does Chinese sound good?"  I nodded, and he ordered delivery.  

Judy and Dennis came over, and she and I went upstairs after we ate.

I said, "as worried as I am about tomorrow, I mean not for myself, but I don't want any of the students there to get hurt, or the teachers, I'm still excited. To go to prom with Tommy."  She said, "I know same for me to go with Booker. It's like a dream date for us ladies huh."

I laughed. I said, "yes. Dates that we didn't get to have in high school. Are we being silly? I mean it's work and more than likely the prom is the target."

Judy said, "I know but we have two hot dates, and when we were in high school, we didn't get to experience prom. I know that it's work, and I know that everyone is going to be in danger tomorrow, but still, I'm not going to apologize for being excited to go with Dennis. What do you say we do the high school girls thing and get ready together before the prom" I said, "I was so hoping you would want to do that. I am going to need all the help I can get. To look good."  She said, "Sydney you are beautiful. And I think Tom thinks that too."

Allison called that night and asked if I wanted to go with her to the salon, she would pay to have my hair styled, and nails done, I asked if Judy could go too, and she said sure, and Allison said she would pay to have our makeup done by professionals too.:

Tom said, "Booker I'm really scared about tomorrow night. I mean keeping the girls safe."  

Booker said, "yeah me too. Same with Doug and Harry and Adam. But with all of us there and on the lookout hopefully we can spot them before they can do any damage."

Tom said, "I hope so. But in the meantime, this prom means a lot to Sydney. I still can't believe that she never got asked to go to prom."  Dennis said, "yeah that surprises me. I mean as hot and gorgeous as she is."  Tom glared at him.

Booker laughed.  he held up his hands in defense.

He said, "come on Hanson. You know I'm a man, I can't deny that she's hot, and beautiful."  

Booker said, "Judy is looking forward to prom too. I want her to enjoy this night, even if we are in danger."

Tom said, "yeah me too. I want to make the girl's night special. You in" Dennis said, "yeah what do you have in mind."

Tom said, "Well I was thinking of arriving in style, a limo, and take the girls out to eat at a fancy restaurant. Treat this as a real prom."  Dennis said, "Sounds good."  Tom said, "I'm not going to lie, I am probably going to feel sick, worrying about it, but I want the girls to enjoy themselves, so I think we should take them out to eat."

Judy and Dennis left.  I said, "Tommy I know this sounds silly, but Allison is taking Judy and I to the salon, and to get our hair, nails, and makeup professionally done."

Tom smiled.  He said, "that doesn't sound silly, but it's unnecessary, because you are already beautiful, you don't need any of that stuff."  I said, "Thank you."

Tom said, "Sydney I am not going to lie. I'm really worried about tomorrow night. But hopefully with all of us there, and Adam we will be able to spot whoever this sick person is and stop them before they can strike."  I nodded.

Tom said, "But I want you and Judy to enjoy your prom. So, I have made some plans."  I said, "Really what plans."  Tom said, "dinner before for us 4, if that sounds ok to you."  I said, "yes that would be perfect. Thanks Tommy."

He said, "I still can't believe you didn't have all the guys in school asking you to prom."

I said, "Even if this is a case, and a serious one, where lives are at stake, I'm still certain that this prom will make up for the ones I didn't get to go too. I have a very handsome date."  I smiled.  Tom smirked.

My phone rang. It was my dad.  I said, "Daddy please don't try and" He said, "I'm not going to try sweetheart. I just wanted to make sure that you are going to come over before you and Tom head to prom. I want to see you two and get some pictures."  I said, "ok daddy thank you. We will stop by."  

I said, "My dad wants us to stop by his house, for pictures. I guess he's treating this like a real prom date too."  I laughed.  Tom said, "it is a real prom date. I fully intend to dance with my beautiful date."

Saturday morning Judy came over and then Allison came by to take us to breakfast, and then to the salon for our appointments.

Tom's view:

The doorbell rang, as I was headed upstairs.  I went back to open the door.  It was Sydney's. dad.

I said, "Come in sir.  Sydney already left."

He said, '"I know I'm here to see you, Tom. If you have a minute."

I said, "Sure."  We sat on the couch.  I don't know why but I'm feeling really nervous right now, sitting on the couch with Sydney's dad, and he's being quiet. I'm not sure what to say, I want to break the silence, but can't find the words.

He said, "Tom, I just want you to promise me that nothing will happen to my little girl tonight. I know that she's grown and all the risks with her job, and I know that you can't stop bad people from doing what they have planned, but I need to know that you are looking out for her."

I said, "Absolutely sir. I give you, my word. I will keep her safe. I'm dreading tonight in a way, as excited as Sydney is for the prom, even if it is work, I'm worried that she is in danger, along with Judy. But I will protect her."

He said, "Thank you son. Sydney is really excited about tonight; she has been gushing about it."  I smiled at that.  I said, "I'm excited too. I know she is going to be the most beautiful girl there."

He said, "I definitely agree. You're a good man Hanson. I'm glad that my daughter has you."

That made me feel bad. I mean he is a really nice guy, and here I am lying to him. If he knew the truth, that she is only helping me get a job promotion. I mean I do love her; more than I ever thought I could love someone.

He said, "did Sydney tell you that I want you two kids to come by so I can get pictures."

I said, "yes she told me. I am going to try and give her one of the best nights of her life."  He smiled at me.  He said, "Thank you son. It means a lot to me, that you are treating this as a real prom. It means more to her that you could know."  

I said, "I'm made some plans to give her and Judy a great prom night. I have arranged for a limo to pick us up here, and take us to your house, then out to eat at Vicinos. I was so glad I could get last minute reservations."  He smiled.

I was on the couch later that afternoon. I had made myself a sandwich and was eating, when Sydney called.

She said, "Hey Hanson can you do me a big favor?"  I said, "Sure."

She said, "where are you?"  I said, "On the couch eating a sandwich. Do you need me to come get you?"

She said, "no we are outside. I was just needing you to do me a favor and go into the kitchen."

I said, "Sure. What do you need from there."  She said, "Nothing, see I know it's silly, but I don't want you to see me. I mean I already have my hair and makeup done, now all we need to do is get our dresses on."  

I smiled. I said, "you mean I can't see you until we leave." She said, "right Tommy. Please."

I said, "Ok Sydney. Just text me to let me know when I can come out of the kitchen. I need to head upstairs and take a shower and get changed into my tux."  She said, "ok thank you Tommy."  I laughed and hung up.  The girl is the most beautiful, gorgeous girl I've ever seen, and she doesn't even know it. I smile at the thought of seeing her in her prom dress.  

I frown at the thought of Booker seeing her in her dress, but I can't do anything about it. I just hope he doesn't flirt with her too badly.   Speaking of Booker, he better not be late, and ruin this night. I want to give her and Judy the best night. I better call him to remind him to be over here, on time, before the limo gets here. The limo is a surprise.  Booker is not too pleased that I reminded him yet again to be on time, but I can't take any chances. We need to be at her dads at 4 for pictures.

I can't wait to see Sydney's face when she sees the limo. I hope she is impressed and loves it.

Sydney texts that she and Judy and Allison are safely in her room, so I laugh, then finish eating, and then I text her to tell her I'm coming upstairs to take a shower and get dressed.

I have to admit I'm surprised. I mean Booker arrives here early. And not only am I shocked about that, but I'm surprised that the girls still aren't ready yet.

I scratch my head. I said, "Booker I mean how long could it take to put on their dresses. I mean they already had their hair and makeup done."  Booker laughed.  He said, "yeah I wonder what is taking them so long."

I was starting to worry a little.  I mean the limo driver came and knocked on the door, and I told him they weren't ready yet.  I texted Sydney asking if they would be down soon, and she said yes but that was 15 minutes ago, and still nothing. Who knows how long this will take at her dad's and we have reservations at 5 30.  We need to be leaving soon.

Allison came down the stairs.

I said, "Finally, are the girls almost ready. We really need to get to her dad's. I have reservations at 5 30"

She said, "yes the girls are ready."  

Sydney's view:

  I said, "Judy you look so beautiful."  She said, "thank you, so do you. Tommy won't know what hit him" We laugh.  I said, "either will Dennis."  I told her to go first.  I texted Allison and told her I wanted her to film Booker watching Judy walk down the stairs. She said she would and when Tom saw me.

Judy went first.  Tom and Dennis both whistled.  Dennis said, "Wow am I the luckiest guy in the world tonight to have you as my date. You are beautiful sweetheart."  She smiled.  She said, "And you are so handsome. I think I'm the luckiest girl tonight to have you as my date."  He walked to her and handed her the corsage.  She said, 'it's beautiful thank you."  He kissed her cheek.

Tom said, "Judy you look beautiful."  She said, "Thank you, but you should see your date. She looks so beautiful" Tom said, "yes I know she will."

Tom's view:

I'm standing there, and I was not expecting this. Seeing Sydney come down the stairs. I can tell she's nervous, I mean she doesn't know she's beautiful. She's timid and slowly coming down the stairs. I know I should say something, she is looking at me, but I am having a hard time even standing right now. My legs feel weak. She is stunning. It's like she is the most beautiful girl in the universe. And she picked me to be her date.  

Just looking at her, not only is affecting me down there. but making me hot all over, and I really hope my face is not turning red, but it's burning right now.  I hear Booker whistling. But I can't focus on that.

Sydney makes it to me, and I realize I haven't said anything.  Booker said, "Sydney you look beautiful sweetheart."  I hear her thank him.  She is still staring at me.

She said, "Tom" I said, "I'm um I don't know what to say."  Shit, now I think I've hurt her feelings. I see tears in her eyes.

She turns her back to me. I said, "no I mean I just I'm sorry. I'm so caught off guard. You are always beautiful, but honey you in that dress, you look like a vision, like the most beautiful girl I've ever seen."  She smiled at me. Blushing her whole face turning red.

I said, "God Sydney you are beautiful. I can't believe that you are letting me be your date."  I smiled at her, she blushed again. She said, "you look so handsome Tommy. Thank you for taking me tonight."  I nodded.  This girl and the power she has over me, I mean she leaves me speechless, and that's never happened to me before, ever. I'm usually always able to talk to girls. But staring at her right now in that gorgeous dress, damn I hear some noises, and I really hope it is not me moaning a little, but I'm afraid it is.

She said, "Tommy I'm sorry about making you wait."  I said, "no it was well worth the wait. Um here. I almost forgot."  I gave her the corsage, and she acted like it was the most beautiful flowers in the world. The way she reacted, thanking me. I put them on her wrist.

I said, "Are you ladies ready."  

Dennis said, "let's go ladies."  Allison said, "I will meet you at your dad's."  Sydney said, "Ok."

Just then Allison as she was heading out, said, "oh my God."  Her face breaking out in a big smile.

Sydney said, "What" Allison stepped back so Sydney could see.  The limo driver got out of the car when he saw the door open, and was standing by the passenger side back seat, with the door open.

I was watching Sydney. Hoping she would be happy.  She said, "oh my God Tommy. I can't believe this."

I said, "I hope you're ok with having an driver tonight."  She hugged me and cried on my shoulder. I think that she's embarrassed that she's crying, by the muttering she did saying something about way to go Sydney.

She said, "Tommy thank you so much. You didn't need to do this."  I said, "I know, but I wanted to, and Booker went in on it too."  Judy said, "Thank you Dennis. I feel like a queen."  He said, "That's good because you are always a queen. Same with you Sydney."

I let Dennis escort Judy first, then I held out my arm, and Sydney took it.  I helped her in and then got in, and we left to go to her dad's.

Sydney said, "You must think I'm so lame huh. I mean treating this like I'm in high school. Having to go to my dad's for pictures."

I said, "no Sydney I don't think you're lame. It makes sense that you want to do all the things you missed out on. And lucky for me I'm the one who gets to be your date."'

Sydney's view:

I can't stop the tears. I mean at first, I was nervous to come down the stairs. Wearing a dress like this.  Strapless, and the dress is so beautiful. Making me feel like a princess almost to wear it, but then Tom's reaction. He just stood there staring at me, didn't compliment me or say anything. I was trying to make it back upstairs to cry, as I didn't want to hurt his feelings, but then he told me he was speechless because I was so beautiful, but then we leave, and I see what Allison was shrieking about, a white limo. Tom actually got a limo to escort us to the prom. That is so sweet, and the sweetest thing any man has ever done for me, and he didn't have to do this, I mean it's not like we are a real couple or going to the prom for real. This is a case, and a serious one at that. But still he took the time to make it special for me.

We get to my dad's house. And then he and Jay are telling me how beautiful I am, and then we take pictures. Allison, Jay, my dad all taking pictures of us, and then also on my phone and Judy's phone. Some of me and Tom, and Judy and Booker, then some of Judy and I, then some of Tom with Dennis, some with me and Jay, me and Jay and Tom, me and my dad and Jay, me and my dad and Tom, and Allison wanted in some pictures.

Tom said, "I'm sorry to say but I really think we need to be going."  I said, "sorry that took so long, I wasn't expecting all the pictures."  As we were in the limo.  Tom said, "No it's fine. I'm going to want to see all of them and get them texted to me."

Allison texted me, she said, "girl the way that man looks at you. I'm jealous. Jay has never looked at me like that."  I said, "Allison" She said, "I'm serious. He was totally speechless."  Reading it caused me to blush.  I silently cursed at myself for blushing as I am afraid Tom will notice.  Judy nudged me arm, and I showed her what Allison texted.  She said, "she's right."

Tom said, "I hope you ladies are ok with the restaurant I picked."  I said, "Anywhere is fine Tommy."

We pulled up to Vicino.  I said, "no way, this is where we are eating" He smiled.  He said, "yes."  Judy said, "how did you manage to get reservations. I hear this place is always booked up. Not to mention so expensive."   Tom just smiled.  

The restaurant was so expensive, but it was also one of the best places to go to for the scenery and atmosphere.  It is a family-owned restaurant, and the wife loved art, so her husband hired her favorite artist to come in and paint on each of the walls in each room.   I said, "I've been here with my dad, and with Jay, it's so beautiful inside."

Judy said, "That's what I hear. It is so romantic about what her husband did."

Tom and Booker said, "Whose husband."  Judy said, "The owner. Don't you guys know the story" The guys shook their heads, so Judy and I both took turns telling the story.  Dennis said, "Damn that guy must really love his wife huh." Tom said, "And have money. I can't imagine how much that surprise cost him" I said, "A fortune, I'm sure."  Tom said, "no wonder it's so expensive."

Judy loved the artwork. She and I went to the restroom.  She said, "girl Allison is not kidding that man's face when he saw you. Totally lit up."  I blushed.  She laughed.  I said, "he is so sweet, Dennis too, to plan this night for us."

We enjoyed a wonderful meal. I tried to pay, but Tom and Dennis refused to let us help pay. Doug, and Harry called, and said that they and Adam were at the school already. Doug said that when he called Margie to ask her if she was ready, she said that she would meet him there, and he said that he was fine with picking her up, but she said she would rather meet him.

I said, "she's so shy, and I mean I can kind of see it being awkward as she doesn't know Doug, except when we took him to dinner with her to introduce them."  

We met Adam, Doug, and Harry. They all got in the limo so we could have a team meeting before this started.  Adam said he was impressed by the transportation. 

Adam went over our plans. What to be on the lookout for, see anything then say something, text him. He was going to be one of the chaperones. Try and spread out, Harry and his date at one table, Doug and his at another.  Judy and Booker at one, me and Tom. Not to all dance at one time. If Tom and I are, then Judy and Dennis, need to be on the lookout.

Watch all the entrances and exits. When we go to the restroom make sure and check the area, anything at all that seems a little odd, even if it is small don't hesitate to let the others know. Then he said let's try and stop this from happening, but also ladies enjoy your prom.

I was having a hard time all night from stopping the tears, being emotional, and also from staring at Tom.  He is so hot, sexy, and handsome, but tonight he looks hotter than I've ever seen him. I almost feel like I'm dreaming all this. I mean that I'm at a prom with the hottest man.

Tom said, "how are you feeling I mean about tonight. You nervous at all or scared?"  

I said, "yes honestly. Both nervous and scared. I don't want anyone to get hurt. I feel like I've failed Tom."  He said, "no don't say that."  I said, "I wish I could have figured out who it was."  I whispered that to him.  He said, "Sydney you and Judy are two of the best, and there just wasn't a way to figure out who it was. They were too good at what they were doing."

Tom said, "could I get this dance?"  He held out his hand.  I took it.

Tom led me to the dance floor.  I noticed right when we came in, that all the girls were eying Tom. Of course, they were. Probably never seen a guy so hot. Looks like he came right out of the pages of a romance novel.  His hard body, his dark black hair, his rock-hard abs, his strong jawline.  As we were dancing, I saw all the girls staring at us, some of them fan Girling over him, some of them giving me dirty looks.

I had my head on his shoulder. I was thinking how I wished things were different, what it would have been like to actually have this be us back at my old school, what I would have given to have a date with Tom to prom. I would have been the envy of every girl in that school. All the cheerleaders, all the girls like my cousin. They would have been jealous of me. I wish this was real now. That Tom and I were real. And I need to stop thinking like that. It's never going to happen.

I silently cursed myself for being so careless, and not doing my job. Yes, I was at a prom, but I was here for work, not to fan girl over Tom, and be all dreamy over him. I need to focus all my attention on stopping whoever this person was.

Tom's view:

I need to get myself together. I am losing it. I am here to do a job. Sydney's life depends on it. Judy's life too. And all I can manage to do is stare at her. Dancing with her. My heart is racing. I feel sick. Like I could pass out. This girl is getting to me unlike any girl ever has. And having her in my arms like this, I want to kiss her so bad. I'm becoming obsessed with the thought of kissing her. I've been trying to force myself to not let me have that kiss. Because I have a job to do. I can't be careless and treat this as just a date, and if I give her one kiss, I'm afraid it will turn into a make out session, and I can't do that. No matter how bad I want it to, I have to keep my guard up. I have to find this sick freak before they start a fire.

I need to get my mind off of what dancing with her is doing to me. What it's making me feel, both physically and mentally.

I said, "Sydney what are you thinking about?"?

Sydney's view:

I said, "lots of things, I guess. Sorry I'm being so quiet."  Tom said, "That's ok. Do you want to talk about it?"  

I said, "just thinking about high school. What all the girls would say if they could see us tonight."

Tom said, "Well I'm sure they are seeing us, I think Allison posted a bunch of pictures."  I said, "What I didn't even think about that."

Tom said, "That's ok with you, isn't it? You aren't embarrassed by your date, are you?"  He smiled.  I said, "No I'm not and yes it's fine with me."  He smirked.

I said, "I was also thinking about our suspect. I really have been thinking about who it could be, I mean not who, but why they are doing this, I mean obviously to get attention, or is it more than that."

Tom said, "What do you mean?"  I said, "Well maybe they just want attention, maybe they are feeling like they are invisible, they have to sit and watch while beautiful girls get everything they want, attention, boys. I know how hard it is to have to be in school and have to watch other girls have what you want."

Tom said, "yeah I get that, but not to the extent that they have the right to do this, to terrorize everyone, and to put people's lives in danger, just because they don't like their selves, or are jealous. I don't mean to sound harsh."  I said, "no you're right Tom. They don't have the right to hurt other people, just because they are hurt."

I said, "I also am wondering if it is someone being bullied. I mean it doesn't I'm not defending them, just saying that a lot of bullying is going on here."

I said, "And then I was wondering if this is revenge. I mean like what if they got cheated on, and so they are wanting to get payback, and actually hurt the girl who did it. You and I both know the rage you feel when you get cheated on."    Tom said, "That's true."

I said, "Do you think with all of us here and Adam we will be able to spot whoever it is, before it happens."  Tom said, "yes I think we will. Then we can just relax and enjoy the prom."

Tom said, "you are so beautiful Sydney. You look like a princess, or like you stepped right out of a magazine. You are truly beautiful."  I blushed. He smiled.

We went back to sit down.  Doug came over.  He said, "I'm starting to think I got stood up."

Judy said, "I'll call Margie and see if she is on the way."  She did.  Margie said that she was almost there, that she had to run some errands for her dad, and it took longer than she thought. She is so sorry and apologize to Doug for her. He was nice enough to be her date, and then she was late.

I said, "She is so sweet."  Judy said, "yes she is."

Judy and I went to the restroom.  I heard some of the girls talking about how sexy Tom was and what they would do to him.  That upset me. I mean how pathetic am I, high school girls are more experienced than I am with men and talking sex like that.

Judy gave me a hug and told me to ignore them. But then it made me think about all the girls Tom's been with. That night at the club, when we met, all the girls he was flirting with, trying to pick who he would go home with. At least he didn't go home with any of them. 

We went back, and then Tom asked to dance again. We were. dancing.

Tom said, "Syd did something happen int he bathroom?"  I said, "What."  He said, "you seem upset now?"  I said, "it's nothing" Tom said, "Sydney it must be something, you were smiling and now your beautiful face has a frown."

I said, "it's just all the girls think my date is sexy, and we overheard girls saying what all never mind. I just feel pathetic. I mean I've only been with Rob" I realized how bad that sounded, what Tom must be thinking. I said, "not that I am thinking or talking about us like that, I'm not." 

Ok I'm lying I totally am. But he doesn't need to know that. I said, "it's just these girls are like 14 and have more experience, I just."  I know I'm making this worse. I said, "I mean just hearing."  

Tom said, "I'm sorry, that you had to hear stuff like that. But please don't let it upset you and stop you from enjoying our work prom" He smiled.  I laughed. I said, "A work prom I like it."

I said, "" when I thought about taking this job, I never thought it would give me a prom" He smiled.  He put his lips against my ear, grazing my cheeks, then he said, "and I bet that the night before you started your job, you never would have guessed I'd be your prom date."  We laughed.

I said, "no for sure."  Tom said, "me either."

I said, "I'm so sorry for how I acted that night, misjudging you, Tommy. I'm so sorry. You're the sweetest guy. Best partner."  Tom said, "Don't apologize. I am sorry for how I acted that night."

We went back and sat down.  As one of the prom committee members was giving a speech.  All of the girls kept looking at Tom.

Booker had gone and got Judy refreshments. Tom said, "Sydney do you want me to go get you some cookies and punch."  I said, "yes but I can go get them for us."  Tom said, "that's ok. You sit down and let me wait on you."  Judy said, "you can't say no to that. Hanson being your slave."  We laughed.

I said, "thank you Tommy."  He said, "Be right back."

I watched as the girls at the refreshment table saw Tom approaching them. You could tell they were shocked, and embarrassed.  One of them couldn't talk, and totally turned red.

I said, "Doug there is your date."  Doug got up to go to Margie.  Judy said, "I'm glad she made it."

What happened next, happened so fast.

One minute I was watching Doug head over to Margie. With her corsage in his hands.  The next minute I saw her race past him and saw that she was the one behind this.  Judy looked at me, and Doug and Harry both ran after her trying to stop her.  Judy and I were up fast and trying to get everyone out.  I yelled at Tom. He turned around.  Doug just about had her in his arms, but she kicked him, he doubled over, and she lit the stage on fire.  Everyone screaming.  Tom yelled my name, I could hear.  But the room was filling up with smoke. You couldn't see.   Doug managed to grab Margie and handcuff her.  Adam, and Harry, and the other chaperones were trying to help people out.  

It was smart of Adam to prepare for this to happen, as he had the fire department already there waiting outside, so they rushed in to start on the fire.  

it was chaos. People screaming, smoke to where you could not see even the person in front of you or by you, I was worried about Tom, and Judy, as well as the other guys, but I didn't have time to look. I was trying to help girls out and get out myself.

At work yesterday Adam ran through a mock scenario of what we were to do if the worst happened and a fire started, not panic, help get people out, but get out ourselves, not put our lives in danger, rely on our training. Trust that we all knew what to do and how to get out.  Not to stay inside searching for the others only to find out that they are outside, and you put your life at risk. We all have the same training.

I almost made it to the door to get out, in the mad rush, people were pushing, shoving, but one of the girls that I knew, the girl who was bullied that first day had fallen, and was trying to get up, so I turned back around to help her up. She managed to get outside, but as I was starting to go, I was knocked down and trampled.

Tom's view:

I am getting Sydney's refreshments, and I hear screams, gasps, then I hear Sydney scream my name. I panic. I turn around, and it's all happening so fast. Dammit I should be over with Sydney when this happened. Not over here. I see Margie kick Doug. He goes down, and she sets the stage on fire. Then it's chaos. I am trying to get to Sydney, people are pushing, running, smoke is everywhere I can't see.  I know that Booker was with Judy, so he will help her, and hopefully can help Sydney too. But I want to make sure she is ok. But I can't see her. I can't see in front of me even.

Everyone is screaming, shoving, fighting. I'm trying to get through the crowd.

Adam comes up to me, says "Hanson get out."  I said, "Sydney where is she?"  He said, "she knows to get out, let's go son."  I said, "Adam no I can't leave. She was right there at the table. I saw her, then the smoke, and now she's not there."  Adam pushed me grabbing my arm and ordered me outside. He said "Hanson she knows what to do to make it outside.  I have no choice unless I want to knock Adam out.  I see Adam heading over to Judy and Booker.  Thank God they are safe.

Doug and Harry are there. Doug has Margie handcuffed.  I look for Sydney, but she's not. there.

I said, "Judy where the hell is Sydney" She looked at me in panic.  She said, "oh my God Tommy. I was hoping that she was with you."

I scream at Margie. "How could you do this, you damn bitch, Sydney was sweet to you. She cared about you."  

I said, "Oh my God. I've got to go back in there."  Adam said, "Hanson no."  Doug is trying to reassure me, so is Harry.

Dennis said, "Guys don't panic. There are hundreds of kids outside. I'm sure she's out here somewhere."

I said, "We got to find her."  Adam said, "guys you split up going around the crowd. Do not go back in the building."

I said, "Adam if she's in there."  

Adam said, "That's an order Hanson. I'm sure she's out here somewhere."

Dennis and Judy went among the crowd.  Doug went and so did Harry.  We were all yelling her. name.

I feel sick. I mean why is she not hearing us screaming her name. If she is out here, why is she not screaming our name, what if she thinks one of us is still inside and she's searching for us.

I am screaming Sydney, praying to God, she will hear me and answer me, or that I will hear her calling my name.  But nothing.

Just then this girl, touches me on the arm. Making me turn around.  She said, "Excuse me."

I said, "I'm sorry I can't help you. If you go right over there, there is first aid."

She said, " um I heard you calling your girlfriend's name."

That stops me dead in my tracks.  I turn around and face her.

I said, "Sydney do you know where she is, she is safe right, she is outside?"

She cries.  She said, "I don't know I'm afraid what might have happened. I was trying to get out, but they pushed me down, and I fell, and couldn't get up. I lost my glasses, and Sydney she must have seen me or heard me crying, because she was almost out, and then she turned around and came back. Helped me up, found my glasses and helped me out."

This girl is crying, and I'm screaming at her.  I said, "Where the hell is Sydney then. you're outside where is she. She was with you right?"  

She was crying. She said, "no I mean yes, she was we were holding hands, but then I don't know I felt her let go of my hand, and I couldn't see her when I turned around."

I screamed at her. I said, "So what you just f------ left her, what the hell is wrong with you, she f------ saved your life, you know that right, and you just what don't give a damn, you just leave her."

Booker and Judy told me to calm down.  The girl was crying.  Judy said, "it's not her fault Hanson" She hugged the girl and the girl cried saying I'm so sorry.

I said, "I'm going back in."  Dennis said, "Hanson no you're not. I'm sure that she's outside."  

I said, "Screw that Booker."  Doug said, "Hanson he's right. I know you're scared, but if you go in looking for Sydney and get yourself killed, and Sydney is safe, she will never get over it, and she will never forgive us for letting you go in."

Harry said, "he's right Hanson. I mean just think the other day what Sydney was going to do to try and find Judy. What you told her on the phone."

Booker said, "You need to take your own advice."

I said, "This is totally different."  Judy said, "Hanson no, if she is safe out here somewhere then you would be risking your life for nothing. She would never forgive us."

Adam said, "Hanson she's right, if she is inside, the firefighters are in there, so are the EMT's, and the cops that are in this district, they are rescuing people. Even if you wanted back in there, they aren't going to let you."

I said, "screw them and screw any of you who are going to try and stop me."

Dennis grabbed me, to stop me, as Judy was yelling at me to please wait, and I punched him as hard as I could screaming at him to get off me.

I ran past them, with Doug and Harry trying to stop me.  I said "I won't hesitate to knock both of you out. Let go of me."  They did.

Adam is yelling at me. Telling me this is a direct order. Stand down. Don't go any further.

I didn't listen. Didn't even turn around. I make it to the door.

The fire captain is there, and the police captain of the local precinct are by the door discussing  their options.  I get past them, when I feel one of them grab me, saying "you can't go in there."

I said, " you can't stop me. My fiancé maybe in there.". The police captain said, "no there is no one in there but firemen, we got everyone out."

But that can't be. I mean otherwise Sydney would have found us. We covered the whole parking lot, and she is not here, and that girl said that she felt Sydney's hand leave her, like she turned around and Sydney just disappeared. With the way that they were pushing and shoving, she might have been tripped. Sounds like that to me. I have to make sure.

Adam, Judy, Dennis, Doug and Harry all catch up to me.  Adam said, "Officer Hanson this is an order. I mean it. Let them do their job. You stay out here."

I said, "Sorry Adam, but F--- the job." I punch the police captain. I know I'm probably getting fired for this by the mayor, but I don't care, that's the last thing I'm worried about.  I deck the fire captain too and run into the gym.

The blaze is going even stronger than it was earlier, I guess one of the curtains caught on fire.  The room is covered in smoke, you can't breathe, you can't see.

The EMT was at the door, he said, "you need to get out of here."  I said, "My fiancé is in here."

He said, "everyone has been transported outside either to the hospital or outside in the parking lot."

I screamed at him. "She's not out there. I feel it in my heart, she's inside here. Somewhere."

I scream her name.  God please don't take Sydney from me. I just found her. Please lead me to her. Please let her be safe, I don't care about myself.

The EMT grabs my arm, says "Son."  I said, 'you have two choices, let me go, or I'm going to knock you out."  He let go of my arm. He said, "You're going to get yourself killed for nothing, there is no one in here."

I am screaming her name.  I can't see and the smoke and flames are getting to me.  I can't breathe. I double over and wipe my face on my shirt. To try and get the strength I need, to find her.  Every time I scream her name, more smoke overwhelms me.

I am coughing so bad and doubled over. I can't breathe. God where is she, please lead me to her. I'm begging you God. I have to go down to my knees overcome by the smoke.

While on the ground, trying to catch my breath, that is when I see something. I hope that my eyes aren't playing tricks on me, that I'm not seeing what I think I am.

Is that Sydney. I see just a tiny bit of color. That is the color of her dress. Oh God, what if that's Sydney. Lying on the floor.

I crawl over to her.  Saving my strength if it is her, to pick her up. Carry her out.

I make it to her; thank God it is her.  I said, "Baby I'm here. I'm so sorry."

She's unconscious.  I pick her up.  I said, "Thank you God. Thank you for letting me find her. Please let her be ok."  I said, "Baby I got you. I'm going to get you out of here. Us out of here."

I can't see where I'm going. But I know I have to get her out quick. So, I start running.  I make it outside.

Judy screamed, "oh my God Sydney" She along with everyone else is at the door waiting for me.

I put her down.  I hear Judy asking me how she is, Adam yelling for EMT's, the ambulance, but I can't focus on any of that.  I can barely breathe, coughing, but I can't focus on the pain in my chest, or the gasping for air that I am doing. All I can focus on is Sydney's lifeless body.

I yell "Sydney baby please open your eyes."  I am coughing, and I try and feel a pulse. I don't feel one. I bend down coughing and listen to her heartbeat. Please God let me hear her heartbeat. But nothing." I scream. "She's not breathing."

I start doing Cpr, crying, as I'm doing it, begging her to be ok, I am saying in between mouth to mouth, saying "Don't you dare leave me Sydney. Don't you do this to me. I need you. You can't leave me. I love you."

The EMT's and medics are trying to pull me off of her. But I can't let them. 

I said, "Baby please Sydney don't do this to me. You can't just come into my life, and then leave me."  I'm crying and continuing the CPR.

Booker said, "Hanson. Let me help. You do mouth to mouth, let me take over the chest." 

I move and let him in.

Judy is crying, Doug holding her, Harry rubbing her back. All of them huddled together around us.

Dennis said, "Sydney come on sweetheart. You can't just leave us like this."

After a few more times, I feel a pulse.  I said, "she's got a pulse. Thank you, God."  I drop my head onto her.  I kiss her cheeks, her forehead. Dennis said, "Hanson let them do their job now."  I step back and collapse on the ground.  Judy rushes to me and bends down and hugs me crying.

She said, "She's going to be ok Tommy. You saved her."

Both of the captains I hit were furious with me, saying I should be arrested.  Adam was pleading my case, so they said this discussion can wait until we know she is ok, but this isn't over. He disobeyed orders and assaulted us. He's getting suspended. I said, "like I give a damn, suspend me, hell fire me I don't give a F---

They are getting Sydney on the stretcher. I said, "how is she, is she still breathing?"

The one lady said, "her pulse is strong. Thanks to you."

I said, "Why isn't she waking up?"  

Adam said, "Hanson let them do their job. She's in good hands son.;"

Judy is crying. She puts her head on my shoulder.  

They get her in the ambulance, and I say, "can I ride with her" They nod.

Judy said, "We will meet you there."

They have her in the ambulance, hooking her up to machines, just to monitor her heartbeat, her pulse.  They said that it's strong. They have an oxygen mask on her. Trying to get one on me, as I'm struggling to breathe. I don't want to, but Judy orders me to let them.

I am holding her hand.  She looks so pale.  I kiss her cheek, forehead.

I take my hand and caress her cheeks, her face. She is so beautiful, remembering today, how excited she was, getting ready with Judy, her face when she saw the limo, the smile on her face, and her laughter when we were at her dad's and taking all those pictures, her being so sincere and so excited when she found out where we were eating, and she told us the story about the artwork, how beautiful she looked in her dress, how dancing with her was perfect, magical even, how she fit right in my arms perfectly. Like she was made for my arms.

 How could I have almost lost her?  

How could I have let her down so bad? Failed her so bad? 

 It was my job to keep her safe. My job to protect her. And when she needed me most, I wasn't there. I let her down. She almost died because of me. 

Oh God her dad and Jay. They need to know.

I take the oxygen mask off and grab my phone. How do I tell them, I'm having trouble breathing, and the lady is arguing with me saying I need to keep the mask on, but I refuse. I grab my phone, and I call Jay.

Jay answers. He said, "hello Hanson everything ok?"  It's at that moment, it all hits me. Unable to breathe, gasping for air, the memories of tonight, not being able to find her outside, fighting to get back in the building, not being able to see in the room, being so overcome by smoke, that I drop to the floor, which leads me to see her lifeless body, doing CPR on her.  All I can do is cry. My tears overwhelm me.

Jay is saying "Hanson talk to me, is Sydney, ok? Hanson come on."

But all I can do is cry.

On the way to the hospital, Judy said, " Dennis we need to let Sydney's dad and brother know. I'm sure Tom is too upset to."  Dennis said, "you have her brother's number."  She said, "no but I have Allison's. She texted me about the salon appointment the other day."

Judy called Allison.  Allison answered almost screaming, "what happened to Sydney" Judy said, "She's on the way to the hospital."  Allison said, "is she going to be ok?"  Judy said, "I think so. She is unconscious, but thanks to Tommy she is breathing. He had to do CPR."  She said, "oh my God. Tom called and is on the phone with Jay, but all he is doing is crying.  We will meet you at the hospital."  She hung up.  She said, "Jay Judy called. Sydney is on the way to the hospital. I guess Tom had to do CPR on her."  Jay said, "oh my God."

Jay said, "Hanson are you on the way to the hospital."  I said, "yes I'm so sorry. I let you down. I let Sydney down. She got hurt tonight. I'm sorry."  He said, "we will meet you there."

I was holding her hands, kissing them. I said, "Why isn't she waking up? Is she going to be ok?"

They told me she was stable and that was a good sign. She will get the best care.

I kissed her hands. I said, "Sydney, I love you. You've got to be ok. Please wake up baby. Please don't leave me. Sydney, I need you. More than I realized. I'm so sorry baby I let you down tonight. I didn't keep you safe."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.7K 185 18
It starts with a girl who has thought about becoming a police officer ever since her older brother became one. She always looked up to her brother. ...
702 12 43
The sequel to "My Fake Romance With The Hottest Guy In School" When Tom gets cheated on by his girlfriend of 2 years, to keep her from bothering him...
16.4K 388 112
This is a story about the 21 Jumpstreet officers. With a new character added, Officer Sydney Kramer. What happens when Sydney gets to the chapel, an...
663 57 19
Two cops-- partners. They see it all: the good, the bad, and the stupid. And their job is not an easy one, when dealing with the public. Not to menti...