Rogues

By Caleb_Brosme

Nathan Bryce is the next alpha in line, his pack has lived in River Valley for generations. Caleb Brosme is a... More

Chapter I
Chapter II
Chapter III
Chapter IV
Chapter V
Chapter VI
Chapter VII
Chapter VIII
Chapter IX
Chapter X
Chapter XI
Chapter XII
Chapter XIII
Chapter XIV
Chapter XV
Chapter XVI
Chapter XVII
Chapter XVIII
Chapter XIX
Chapter XX
Chapter XXI
Chapter XXII
Chapter XXIII
Chapter XXIV
Chapter XXV
Chapter XXVI
Chapter XXVII
Chapter XXVIII
Chapter XXIX
Chapter XXX
Chapter XXXI
Chapter XXXII
Chapter XXXIII
Chapter XXXIV
Chapter XXXV
Chapter XXXVI
Chapter XXXVII
Chapter XXXVIII
Chapter XXXIX
Chapter XLI
Chapter XLII
Chapter XLIII
Chapter XLIV
Chapter XLV
Chapter XLVI
Chapter XLVII
Chapter XLVIII
Chapter XLIX
Chapter L
Chapter LI
Chapter LII
Chapter LIII
Chapter LIV
Chapter LV
Chapter LVI
Chapter LVII
Author's Note

Chapter XL

383 13 2
By Caleb_Brosme

- Caleb -

Nathan... I sigh internally looking at the collar's pendant he gave me. Staring at the crescent moon and the howling wolf closely brings back so many memories. When we first met: – Hey, I'm Nate. I guess we are partners. –, at the football game You came. –, our first kiss in the locker room I've been wanting to do that all night long. – I remember his voice, his touch, his smell so vividly. My eyes begin watering, fucking mate bond. I can feel my heart tighten as I imagine a life without him. I've been trying to convince myself that I'm doing the right thing; that staying here is the best for both of us, that I'm not the mate he needs. We can't have children, and I'm a rogue, his pack will never accept me. I sigh deeply, laying down the necklace on the kitchen table. Maybe in another life... I just hope he can forgive me.

I can't leave my pack; I tell myself for the hundredth time. Yesterday, I went to sleep in my bedroom with Josh and Ally, I woke up to find Jamie sleeping tightly next to us as well. She'll never admit it, but I know she enjoys sleeping altogether, but we haven't spent much time together since I was named Beta in Command. Don't get me started on Josh and Ally, they are so young and look up to me. What would happen to them if I left? Fuck! I have a million reasons to stay, but I only care about one to leave: Nathan.

- Hey. – my father's voice breaks the silence, snapping my thoughts.

- Hey... – I respond, looking away.

- We should probably talk about what happened. – my father speaks, trying to hide his nerves by sounding confident.

- I don't think I'm in the mood for that, Dad. – I respond tiredly.

- Caleb, I need you to know that... –

- That you care so deeply for me, that you did everything in my best interest, that you were just upset yesterday, and you didn't mean what you said. – I interrupt calmly. – I know, Dad. –

- I'm sort... –

- I don't want to talk about it, I just want to rest right now. – I say honestly.

- I understand. – he says dismally.

We sit next to each other in silence. I don't know how to act; I don't know if I'm angry, upset, sad, hurt, and, frankly, I don't care right now, I just want to sit quietly and clear my head. My dad's breathing starts getting heavier, and his heart rate slightly increases.

- It's time, isn't it? – I wonder.

- Yeah... – he responds lowly. – Mary is in the kitchen, you should go talk with her, I'll go wake the kids up. – he says warmly.

We stand up and look at each other. It's a weird interchange. I don't know how really to feel and act around him anymore. It's awkward. At last, I head to the kitchen while my father goes to the stairs.

- Mary. – I say, entering the kitchen. Her face turns to me, with sad crystal eyes.

- Cal, hey. – she says wiping her nose.

- Please don't cry or you'll make me cry too. – I say, making her chuckle.

She walked over to me and hugged me tightly. I accept the warm embrace. I never noticed she's just as tall as Maya. I wave of sadness washes through my body. I'm not allowed to see anyone else besides my family. Not that anyone would come even if they could. Luke just became the future Gamma; it would be bad for him to be seen with me in these moments. Maya will support his brother. Perhaps Riley but the elites won't let her pass. All my friends can't come to see me before the biggest fight of my life, just... great.

- You'll be okay. – she says crying a little.

- Yeah. – I say, feeling my eyes beginning to water.

- Callie! – Ally screams rushing up to me. I pick her up to hug her. Josh and Jamie also participate in a de family hug.

- I'll win for you guys. –

- Do it for yourself, Caleb. We support you, no matter what. – my dad says, surprising me.

- Stay safe, Callie. – Ally says sweetly, making my heart melt.

- Of course. Hey, tell you something... – I say, taking off my collar. – Would you take care of this for me? I promise I'll come back for it. –

- Sure! – she exclaims, smiling brightly at me.

We join in for one last family hug before leaving for the battle. A small group of elites were waiting outside and escorted me to the arena. It felt weird being alienated by my pack. It's hard to be treated like this especially because I know these men; I fought alongside them all my life. It's not just them either. On our way to the arena, everyone was staring and rumoring things. Some don't believe the accusations against me, but others aren't so sure. I never thought finding my mate would be so reckoning.

The arena's full, the entire pack present. It's an overwhelming atmosphere, making me somewhat nervous. Making my way to the center, passing through hateful looks of disdain from my pack is hard. Finally, I see the council. Alaric, Convel, Gregory, and Lawrence; sitting up front, along with Nymeria and Luke. My family is located on their left side while Dyrus's mother and little brother are on the opposite side. Dyrus is waiting for me at the center with a murderous look in his eyes. Shit, this is really happening. I can feel my heart drop with every step I take; the commotion in my surrounding slowly vanishes and the only thing I can hear is my heartbeat banging my ears and my breaths getting heavier. That's until I reach the center and my mind hit the earth again, popping me out of my own thoughts. Alaric raised his hand in a fist, making the whole place quiet down almost immediately.

- We all know why we are here today. - his baritone voice fills the arena firmly. – We are a pack! We respect and protect each other, that's what we do, that's what we've always done! So, it pains me having these wolves, the best in this generation, here... under these circumstances. I'm truly aggravated and disappointed. – I look down slightly and close my eyes, his words hurting a little. – So much potential, such a bright future... wasted, all because they can't get along. The next Male Alpha and Beta in Command fighting each other... huh, just idiotic to think of. I'll be honest with everyone... I considered abolishing the challenge and solving matters another way. – he pauses a little, creating tension in the air. – But we are rogues, and just because we decided to settle doesn't mean we will forget our culture. It'll be hard to see one of these two young men leave the pack, but rules are rules, and if they can't get along, then tradition says one of them must leave. They will fight to earn the right to stay. So, I'll ask you now: Caleb Brosme, Dyrus Dagoand n, given your status, today's winner must be entirely sure they want to stay. After this fight, your loyalty must be for Lazarutoack ad only us. Do you understand? – he spoke firmly, almost angry.

- Yes. – we say in unison.

- Very well, then I hope this is the last and only challenge that is fought within this pack. – he paused, looking around with a stern face. – Then I declare that the challenge officially starts... Now! –

I turn around to face Dyrus. He's standing just a few meters away; he removes his shirt and starts stretching his arms while jogging a bit in place. Okay, Caleb, this is serious, better take it that way or you'll lose. I remove my shirt and toss it aside as I ready myself as well.

- It didn't need to come down to this, you know. – I say.

- You're one to speak, betraying the pack for a domestic. – he states fiercely.

- I never betrayed anyone. If you had let me, I would've explained. I want you to know, that I'm sorry we couldn't get along before. I could've done something to try and connect with you...but what's about to happen, you brought it to yourself. –

- Talk all you want Brosme, I'm not holding back this time. –

Then without further warning, he charged at full speed. I quickly move out of the way and dodge the tackle. He turns back to me and starts launching a series of attacks, forcing me to respond to my punches. The fight's nothing like any other duel before, this time it's more serious. The attacks coming from Dyrus are harder, faster, fiercer; filled with anger and certainty. Normally, when he fights against me, he tends to be more cautious, but not this time, he's going all out. I have never seen him fight this quickly, it becomes a little overwhelming. He manages to find an opening and lands a clean punch to my face. The punch is strong, but I manage to keep my balance and grab his arm, throwing him away, and getting some distance between us. I wipe my bottom lip, leaving some blood on my hand. Huh, maybe I underestimated him.

He wastes no time and charges at me to continue with another round of restless attacks. I can't find any opening in his attacks, he's changing the rhythm and direction constantly, making it even more difficult. So, I continue dodging and diverting his attacks. I know that if it comes down to endurance, I'm sure to win. I just need to continue dealing with him until he wears down. Dyrus then throws a punch to my ribs, so I quickly close the gap between us to tackle him lightly and get some distance between us again. He huffs as he tumbles backward, catching his balance.

- What happened Brosme, are you afraid of fighting me head-on? I knew you were weak. Is this how an Alpha fights? No... you just don't have it in you. – he criticizes.

The comment is spot on to make me start fuming. I look around the entire pack watching the fight. My eyes land on Alaric, looking at us with a stern face. The council members are also judging the fight. Dyrus is right. This is not how an Alpha fights. The challenge is not just about deciding which one of us stays, but also to determine if I'm worthy of becoming the next Alpha. I search for Nymeria; her face is concerned and troubled. As soon as she notices I'm seeing her, she smiles a bit, nodding in my direction. She is counting on me, my whole family counts on me too. Okay Caleb, get your head in the game!

Dyrus is giving it his all, that's why he's fighting so well. You can't fight while worrying about other things. Fighting without giving it your 100% is not how an Alpha would do it. Otherwise, why stay here? This is a fight about who wants it more, and you can't let Dyrus be the one who wins.

- You're right. – I acknowledge, catching everyone's attention. – The pack needs a strong Alpha to rely on. I apologize for not taking this fight as seriously as I should, it won't happen again. – I say, taking a deep breath and getting into a fighting position.

I charge at Dyrus at full speed. I threatened to throw a punch to his face, which he quickly tries blocking, but at the last second, I change direction and instead throw a punch with my other hand to his ribs. He's barely able to get his hand to cover his body, offering some kind of protection. Still, the punch is hard, I could even feel the bone crack. It didn't snap in two, it'll probably heal in no time, but I'm sure it hurt like hell. The young beta steps back quickly, getting some distance to recover. Since we are still pack, I can feel the pain flowing through his arm. It's discomforting knowing that I caused that to a member of my pack, and it's even more bizarre feeling it as well. He holds his forearm massaging it a little to ease the pain.

- Agghhhh. – he complains lowly. – I didn't see that coming. Okay... this just got interesting. –

I ready myself again for another round, I have the feeling this time it's going to be harder. We charge at each other and engage in a fight. Punches and kicks are thrown everywhere. I'm impressed at how much Dyrus has improved in these past months. It's been what, three or four months? And it looks like I'm fighting a completely different person than the one I fought at the trials. He's more confident in every movement; all his punches are more committed and better placed, they have better intentions and are more difficult to react to. Maya did warn me about this, but still, he improved immensely.

We've been fighting like this for a while. By now, I would've thought he would run out of endurance or something, but he's still going full strength. Dyrus then decides to bring his claws out, attempting to slash my eyes out in a quick move. I'm barely able to duck and dodge the attack centimeters away from connecting. Okay, two can fight like that. I charge into his stomach, his not fast enough to dodge so I collide with his body. I make sure to keep pushing him, trying to get him off balance so he doesn't get the opportunity to attack. He tries his best not to fall. I take advantage of this and quickly slash his toes. The cut is nice and deep, it'll take him more time to heal this. Dyrus manages to push me away, trying to gain some distance, but I waste no time and rush in. He throws a desperate punch as a last resort, which I quickly intercept, grabbing his arm and kicking his stomach with my knee. The young wolf gasps for air and I know the match is over. I continue with a series of punches to his sides, that he can only shield and take it. He's doing an amazing job at protecting himself. So, I change and kick his left knee by the side, breaking the bone on the spot. He howls in pain, and I punch his neck, choking his scream.

His knee is broken and his still standing, impressive. His eyes are murderous, filled with resentment and anger. Dyrus eyes flash blue, signaling that he doesn't intend to give up so easily. I flash my own as a response and continue attacking. I hold nothing now; I was beating him down mercilessly. After a full-blown punch to the stomach, he finally drops down to his knees. I grab him by the back of his neck, forcing him to look up at me. I raise my other hand and draw my claws out, threatening to slash his neck.

- Yield! – I yell commandingly. He looks at me with disdain. – Yield now. –

- Go to hell. – he spits blood at me.

- Don't you get it; I'll kill you if you don't give up. – I yell angrily. He's such an idiot, throwing his life away like that.

- I won't leave this pack alive, so get it over already. – he speaks decisively, his eyes full of tears.

That's when I realize, this pack means the world to him. It's everything to him and here I am deciding between two packs: between my mate and my family. Guilt and shame flow through my body. This is not me; this is not how I was raised to be. I was trained to be loyal. Things have changed so much since Nathan arrived in my life. Never in a hundred years would I think I'd fall for a domestic. Shit...I look up to Alaric and wait for his approval. He contemplates the situation, glancing at Convel first. The Beta in Command's eyes portrays only disappointment and anger. Is he about to ask me to kill him?

Alaric considers for what feels like hours before turning to me; he nods lightly, permitting me to kill the young wolf. A not wraps in my throat. With a heavy heart, I look down at Dyrus. I remember all the memories we share since we've been pups. I've known him all my life. I've killed many people before, but never someone from my pack. Killing a pack member, the mere idea makes my stomach revolt. It's like a paralyzing thought flowing down my spine. Come on, Cal, you must do it for your family. I close my eyes and shake the thoughts. I raise my hand, preparing myself, and go for the kill.

- Stop! – a voice scream nearby. Wait, I know that voice. Nathan...

My head immediately turns to my left. I spot Nathan in the front row, next to Jamie and Maya. What is he doing here?! How the hell did he manage to get here? Maya. What was she thinking? He's not safe here.

The second his voice filled the arena, everyone's attention turned to him. The loud cheering and commotion in the arena because of the fight was replaced by a chilling silence. It wasn't long for people to start rumoring amongst themselves. My heart started to pound heavily, I turned to the council upfront. Their faces shifted between surprise and displeasure. Alaric's stern face was now fixed on Nathan, he certainly knew the young wolf. After all, he's River Valley's next alpha in line. My discomfort grew even greater as I managed to sense some worry coming off Alaric. Trespassing the borders alone is a dangerous thing, even more making it this far. He's a sheep surrounded by wolves; he doesn't stand a chance.

- A domestic. –

- What is he doing here? –

- How did he get here? –

- If he's here then that means there are more nearby. –

The people started talking, contemplating how much of a threat Nathan being here meant. Everyone started worrying that the River Valley pack had decided to attack us. No one knows Nathan, so they don't understand how important he is. If anyone decides to...

- Who cares, get him! - a wolf comments. Fuck.

The werewolves nearby turn to him with a serious unfriendly look on their faces. Some even bring their claws out. They are going to detain him, or worst. Nathan's heart starts to pick up, as they start circling him. Maya's trying to stop and reason but no one cares, their focus is completely on Nathan. I let go of Dyrus and rush towards him. I push the wolves out of the way and put myself in front of Nathan protectively.

- Don't come any closer. He is not the enemy. - I say.

- So that's your stupid mate, huh? – Dyrus calls, standing up from the ground. – You're an idiot for bringing a domestic to a rogue pack. – he adds. My pack turns to me with awe.

- Dyrus was telling the truth. –

- By the Moon Goddess, he's mated to a domestic. –

- He betrayed us. –

- Why is he becoming Male Alpha? – all kinds of things were being said. But one thing was for sure, no one likes it one single bit. Things are turning south quickly. – Get him too. – and so, everyone started closing in on me. Their claws and fangs are now directed at me. My claws come out and my eyes shine electric blue, my instincts screaming at me to protect Nathan.

- Cal, don't. – Nathan said, trying to prevent a fight. I face him, his sole presence is enough to calm me down. Unfortunately, this didn't last long.

- Out of the way! – Convel's commanding voice yells from behind. The wolves surrounding us stepped aside. The Beta in Command is walking in our direction, his eyes bright blue and claws out. I can feel his intentions from a mile away, he wants to harm my mate. – Step aside Caleb. – he commands.

- Convel, it's not what you... – I try to reason with him, but he quickly interrupts me.

- I said OUT OF THE WAY! – he roars intimidatingly just a few feet away from me. Without thinking twice, I roar back at him, not backing down.

- Stupid kid. What do you think you're doing?! – I am perfectly aware of what I'm doing, I'm standing up against Convel, the current Beta in Command.

- Yes, I'm protecting my mate. – I speak without a shred of doubt in my mind. There's no going back now, the whole pack knows the truth now.

- Convel, stop! – Alaric's bold voice commands.

- But Alaric, a domestic infiltrated. – he complained.

- And you know he's Alpha Nathan's son, the future alpha. You can't kill him. – Alaric claims firmly.

- He betrayed the pack Alaric. He brought a domestic to our home without your consent. Are you going to allow it? – he nags imprudently, it almost sounded like he's questioning Alaric's leadership.

- Stand down, Convel. That's an order. – he flashes his eyes red, using his alpha voice.

The Alpha voice is a tone that can only be used by the Alpha, no one else can do it. Alaric only reserves the tone for when he wants something done immediately. It's a special ability that forces the wolves to oblige. There is a catch, though; it only works on the alpha's pack. Convel is forced to step down now. For a second it looked like things calmed down a bit, but things were only getting started.

- Well, well, well, it looks like they already started killing each other. That will make things easier, don't you think Tybalt? – an arrogant voice sound. I know that voice, it's the idiot that almost killed my precious Nathan. Everyone turns to face him. He's not alone, I can feel many wolves as well. Way too many, this can't be, I can't believe the Whitlock pack is this big. How did they manage to sneak past the security?

- Klyn! What is this supposed to mean? – Alaric calls furiously.

- What do you think Alaric? We are. Invading you of course. – he points out as if it's nothing.

- You forget that we heavily outnumber you three to one. You'll be dead in no time. – the alpha seethes through his fangs.

- Yeah... you're right. So, it's a good thing I brought some friends to play along. – he says casually. Then, two other wolves walk up to the rogue alpha. There is no way... they are alphas too. Three rogue packs working together? That's impossible.

- Balto, Marlene, you're working with him? – Alaric asks surprised but still upset. They are alphas of the Hendrix and Ross packs respectively. Up until now, we thought we had a good relationship with them. Guess that's over.

- Of course, they are. – Klyn answers instead. – After all, what rogue would pass on the opportunity to kill some domestics? – he says viciously, snapping his fingers.

Three wolves come into sight and throw three bodies at us. As they land, their heads roll over, and they are beheaded. My stomach drops and I stop the urge to throw up. I recognize their faces; they are werewolves from patrol duty.

- I offered you an opportunity to kill the River Valley pack, Alaric, but you denied it. Well, we changed our mind, we're now coming for you. After today, the Lazarus pack will seize to exist. – he flashes his eyes red.

I can sense dozens of werewolves all around us, we're surrounded. The numbers appear to be equal, maybe they are more than us. Fuck. Because of the fight we lowered our defenses and allowed them to attack our frontiers unnoticed. We are being ambushed by not one or two, but three enemy packs, and the only thing in my mind is to protect Nathan. That's when the war broke loose. 

----------------

Picture of Nile at the top.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

696K 31K 31
Micah wanted nothing but to finish the last year of highschool so that he could take his father's place as Alpha. What happens when he finds out that...
249K 9.6K 48
Trevor Harrington is a normal human boy of 18yrs old with three brothers and a 10yrs old nephew living a not so normal lives because his two twin bro...
524K 19.7K 69
Easton Knight is your stereotypical Alpha. Extremely handsome with a deep voice, broad shoulders, and a sleeky tall figure. But he is also ruthless...
73K 4.3K 57
Matt Beven Smith is a werewolf, he has two brothers and he is the youngest among three children. He is the second in line to be Alpha because the f...