Rogues

By Caleb_Brosme

Nathan Bryce is the next alpha in line, his pack has lived in River Valley for generations. Caleb Brosme is a... More

Chapter I
Chapter II
Chapter III
Chapter IV
Chapter V
Chapter VI
Chapter VII
Chapter VIII
Chapter IX
Chapter X
Chapter XI
Chapter XII
Chapter XIII
Chapter XIV
Chapter XV
Chapter XVI
Chapter XVII
Chapter XVIII
Chapter XIX
Chapter XX
Chapter XXI
Chapter XXII
Chapter XXIII
Chapter XXIV
Chapter XXV
Chapter XXVI
Chapter XXVII
Chapter XXVIII
Chapter XXIX
Chapter XXX
Chapter XXXI
Chapter XXXII
Chapter XXXIII
Chapter XXXIV
Chapter XXXV
Chapter XXXVII
Chapter XXXVIII
Chapter XXXIX
Chapter XL
Chapter XLI
Chapter XLII
Chapter XLIII
Chapter XLIV
Chapter XLV
Chapter XLVI
Chapter XLVII
Chapter XLVIII
Chapter XLIX
Chapter L
Chapter LI
Chapter LII
Chapter LIII
Chapter LIV
Chapter LV
Chapter LVI
Chapter LVII
Author's Note

Chapter XXXVI

236 10 14
By Caleb_Brosme

- Caleb -

I woke up before Lena and Riley did, even before Emmet, her husband got home from patrol. Well, I didn't really sleep, to be honest. I couldn't sleep at all, I just kept replaying the conversation in my head over and over. "You're not my son". Those words kept hammering my head. The more I thought about it, the more it hurt. So, I decided to do something productive and ran outside. I've been running for a while now. When I got outside it was still dark and quiet. Now, the sun is just starting to rise, giving a tenue light blue and orange tone to the sky, and the bird songs adorn the forest soothingly. But even that doesn't comfort me. My dad kicked me out, without hesitation. Even after all those years, of us working together and bonding over training and stuff like that... he kicked me out. Even Mary and Jamie looked more concerned for my sake. One mistake. That's all it took to let him down.

Maybe he's right; maybe I don't belong to this pack anymore. No. I refuse to believe that. I love Nathan but this is my pack. I spent countless days worrying and helping. I didn't train until my bones crack and every muscle on my body hurt for nothing. I got to know every member of this pack; my dad can't take that away from me. I love this pack. I tell myself that as I knock on the door. No one answers, so I knock again harder this time. Maybe I shouldn't be here, it's early and they must be asleep. Just as I am about to leave someone answers the door.

- Hey. – Nymeria says, morning headed.

- Nymeria, sorry for waking you up. – I say, getting nervous.

- You didn't, I couldn't sleep. – she says nonchalantly. – For the looks of it, you couldn't either. – she adds.

- I'm sorry. – I apologize.

- For leaving the pack or me? – she says harshly.

- For everything. – I answer quickly. – I never wanted any of this to happen, it just did. –

She nods but doesn't respond. We stand silent for a while, merely looking at each other. I take this time to analyze her. She's wearing a black sleeveless shirt and shorts. Her eyes look tired, and her skin is paler than usual. I try sensing anything, but she covers it up perfectly. I know she's mad, I would be too.

- Why didn't you tell me? – I ask.

- What? –

- That you liked me. You could've said something, I would've listened. – I say softly.

- It wouldn't have changed anything. You never saw me like that. – she responds shortly, embarrassed.

- No, you're right. – I agree. – But I would've understood and been there for you. – I'm interrupted.

- Yes, but not the way I wanted you to. – she says upset. I nodded calmly, not wanting to upset her anymore.

- I want to help. – I say.

- It's too late now, don't you think? – she says still not looking directly at me.

- No. That's why I'm here, I want to fix it. – I say firmly, she looks at me carefully.

- What do you mean? – she asks intrigued.

- Is your dad at home? I want to speak to him, to both of you. – I say, remembering how much she hates to be excluded from conversations.

She nods and opens the door, allowing me to enter. She starts walking and I close the door before following her.

- He is in his office, he's not happy with you. – she adds.

- I figured, but if I don't speak to him, I won't make it better. – I say.

- Make what better? –

- Everything. – I respond. She looks at me dubiously but doesn't ask, figuring that I would answer that question in a couple of seconds.

- Are you sure? He was really pissed last night. – she warns me, just outside the closed door.

- So is my father. He kicked me out. – I say, sounding indifferent.

Nymeria's eyes rise in surprise, but she remains quiet. She knows how much my family means to me, so she knows how screwed I am right now. Instead of asking anything, she looks away and simply knocks on the door before opening it, not waiting for a response.

- Not now Nymeria, I'm working. – Alaric's deep voice says.

- Caleb's here to talk. – she ignores him and walks to his side. Alaric stops working and looks up at me.

He's still wearing the same clothes as last night. He probably spent the whole night working. His eyes are tired, bags in his eyes, and his hair is a mess. However, his presence is as intimidating as always. His gaze feels like it passes through me.

- I expected you to show up. - he says in his baritone voice. – I assume you come to tell me you're leaving the pack. –

- No. – I answer.

This seems to get his attention. He puts the pen he was holding down and leans back in his chair. Alaric and Nymeria's eyes are on me, looking at me expectantly, waiting for me to elaborate.

- I screwed up. I didn't tell you about the mate bond. For that, I'm sorry. – I say honestly.

- Okay. – Alaric nods. – Why did you come here, then? -

- I'll marry Nymeria. – I say seriously. Their eyes rise a little and Nymeria looks at her father, but his gaze never leaves me.

- You can't. – he states firmly. – You're mated to an Alpha; it would only create conflict with River Valley. – he adds.

- It's my choice. They can't force me to marry if I don't want to. –

- Caleb... – he says, but I interrupt him.

- I want to protect this pack. I know you're obliged to hand me over, but I don't want to. – I lie, partially.

- Can he even do that? – Nymeria asks. – Reject the bond, I mean. -

- It's more complicated than that. – he responds.

- I know, I know the consequences of rejecting a bond. –

- Even if I agreed to it. What makes you think I'd let you marry Nymeria? – he says firmly and harshly. He's testing me. Nymeria is looking at me, not sure how to feel.

- Because I'm the best you got. – I answer. He furrows his eyes, he's about to talk but I continue. – I worked hard to become Beta in Command. Against all odds, I defeated higher-ranked wolves. After you named me Beta, I never stopped training and helping the pack. Even now, going to River High and helping my dad with construction work, I keep up with my part. You can ask Gregory; I haven't slouched on my duties. – I explain myself. - I have straight A's in River Valley, I defeated Gregory, I do all the duties you assigned me and I even help Lena and Riley occasionally. –

- Caleb, I know you're strong, but there's a lot more to being an Alpha. – he tells me calmly.

- I'd still be one in River Valley. – I point out. – I don't see why I can't be one here. The pack knows me, they trust and respect me. I know they'll approve of me as a Male Alpha. –

- Caleb. – Alaric sighs, ordering his ideas.

- I know I am a long way to being an Alpha, but I'll learn. I'll learn because I want to protect this pack. – I say. I can feel my eyes wanting to water, but I restrain myself. – Give me one more chance and I promise I won't disappoint you. – I ask him, my voice breaking a little.

- What about Alpha Nathan and his son? Do you still love him? – he asks. I swallow hard and think about my words.

- I do. – I nod honestly. I sigh and take a deep breath. – But you taught me that an Alpha sometimes needs to make sacrifices to protect his pack. I won't lie to you. A part of me wants to go with Nathan, but another one ties me here. I always knew I'd have to choose. I guess... I wanted to delay that as much as possible. – I explain.

- You were very adamant yesterday about your mate. – Alaric says. Silence again grows as I think about what to say.

- I was emotional yesterday. We had just told Alpha Nathan and Yannis about our relationship... I never thought about the impact here. It was a mistake, I'm sorry. – I say.

- You're heart beats faster. – Nymeria says for once.

She looks at me dubiously. They can tell I'm lying. I want them to see that I'm serious about this. That means I can't lie to them. It's true, my wolf is mourning and hates me at this moment. That part of me wants me to leave, but the other side, the human side, tells me otherwise. My instincts want me to be with my mate and my mind tells me to stay. I'm caught on between.

- Because it hurts to leave him... – I explain truthfully.

- You're willing to leave your mate for us. – Nymeria asks, amazed. I nod. – Dad? – she turns to him.

- Are you sure about this? – he asks.

- Yes. – I nod.

- It's your call. – he tells his daughter.

- Cal. I don't want you to do this just because you think you have to. – she tells me warmly.

- I know... I want to. If you still want me, I'd be honored to marry you, Nymeria. – I tell her.

- Okay. I accept. – she says.

And just like that, I felt how my heart cracked because, in my head, that meant Nathan and I are over. I betrayed my wolf and, as a result, me. I hope this is the right thing to do. I love Nathan, I really do. He's the best thing that ever happened to me. I know I'll regret this because I'll hurt him, and I hate myself for that. But what do you do when you're caught choosing between your mate and your pack? Do you pack your stuff and leave the people that cared for and loved you your whole life? Or do you stay and do what's right for them? Who do you choose? I already did, and I'd come to regret it soon.

---------

Picture of Ally at the top

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

92.9K 3.9K 81
Alistair is a rogue werewolf. Born into this condition, he lives with his family the nomadic life, always traveling and never settling down in one pl...
177K 7K 36
Caleb is your everyday dorky 19 year werewolf. He's the youngest omega of the pack but everyone loves him. Caleb lost his parents when he was 9 due t...
360K 16K 32
Wren Arroyo's wolf was broken. Born without a complete sense of smell, Wren knew he would never have that magical moment when true mates smell each o...
1.3M 80.6K 76
Since River has been old enough to ask, his father has brain-washed into believing that he's unworthy of any sort of love. Especially from his long-a...