Kissed By The Moon

By TalesByMoonshine

I sit in my kneeling position as she stalks around me and the anticipation of what she'll make my body do nex... More

Introductions
CHAPTER 1: Blue Eyes
CHAPTER 3: Old Friends
CHAPTER 4: New Enemies
CHAPTER 5: Heal
CHAPTER 6: New Prospects
CHAPTER 7: The Unexpected
CHAPTER 8: Match Made
CHAPTER 9: Truth Be Told
CHAPTER 10: Charlotte Odair
CHAPTER 11: Getting Ready
CHAPTER 12: The Ball
CHAPTER 13: Miss Odair
CHAPTER 14: Seeking
CHAPTER 15: Miss Odair: Welcome
CHAPTER 16: Fighter
CHAPTER 17: This is New
CHAPTER 18: Changes
CHAPTER 19: Explanation
CHAPTER 20: Discovery
CHAPTER 21: My Darling Charlotte
CHAPTER 22: Monster
CHAPTER 23: Distance
CHAPTER 24: Old Friend
CHAPTER 25: Charlotte Knows
CHAPTER 26: Selene
CHAPTER 27: I Am Unafraid
CHAPTER 28: Let's Talk Strategy
CHAPTER 29: Calm Down Charlotte
CHAPTER 30: Fight Harder Charlotte
CHAPTER 31: This Is Betrayal
CHAPTER 32: Two Choices
CHAPTER 33: Plan C
EPILOGUE: Filling in the Gaps

CHAPTER 2: Silver Moon

62 1 0
By TalesByMoonshine

"So nice of you to finally join us Amari," my father's voice is heard before I actually enter his office.  He doesn't look up at me.  His eyes are focused on whatever he's reading.  He sounds unimpressed, but I don't really care.  He called; I showed up... eventually.  Lucky Brie decided to stay behind and catch up with old friends, so I'm here alone. I look around his office as I make my way to the chair opposite him.  It's completely renovated and has a minimalist feel to it.  Everything is tidy, furniture is scarce, and the walls are made of one-way glass where he can see out, but from the outside, it's just a mirror.

The whole pack house has been renovated. There are no remnants of the house I grew up avoiding.  It all looks like an architect's wet dream, with asymmetric glass walls, floating staircases and lights.  So many fucking lights.  It was beautiful, I must admit, just new to me.

It wasn't just the pack house that was new, everything was.  Driving in felt odd.  There was no familiarity.  All the houses around the pack territory were redone and made to look more modern, neat and although it had all the characteristics of sophistication, it lacked personality.  It felt as if the hell I survived failed to do so.  Silver Moon was a very different place.

"I like what you've done with the place," I remark as I take my seat. "Everything looks so... new."

"That's because it is," he answers bluntly, still not looking at me. 

I sit in silence, waiting for him to be done.  It isn't awkward because I decide to busy myself on my phone.  I had a job before I came back and there were some loose ends I had to tie up, and now seemed like as good a time as any to reply to some last emails.  We sit in silence for Goddess knows how long and I get bored of waiting but try not to show it.  I was late to come and see him, I don't get to complain about him not making time.

"Welcome back Amari," my dad finally says, and I snap my head up to him.  He is looking at me with his cool grey eyes that I inherited, and I see a slight smile on his face.

"Hi dad," I smile back.

"I wish we could sit down and do pleasantries, but unfortunately, you're late, so we have to get right down to business."  He regards me briefly before continuing, "It is almost time for you to take my place as Alpha.  I'd like the takeover to coincide with you finding your mate.  I know it's an antiquated practice, but a pack runs better with a mated Alpha, so we'll keep the practice.  Have you found your mate yet?"

"Uhm, no."

Because you haven't been looking

Eris, so nice of you to join us.

"Well, that's a bummer, because if you don't find your mate before your 25th birthday, which is in 6 months, you'll have to settle for a chosen mate."  He put air quotes around the word 'chosen' because he knows a better word would be 'forced'.  Eris almost growls at the idea.

"Why do I need a mate, dad, I can be Alpha without one.  I'm level-headed, strong and can lead.  It's in my blood.  Like you said, the mate thing is antiquated, other packs have Alphas that are unmated, and they do just fine." I protest.

"'Just fine' isn't good enough Amari.  Look around, look how the pack has grown.  Your wolf won't settle until you're mated, and an unsettled wolf is hard to control.  You and your wolf need to be in harmony so you can lead effectively.  Sure, you can do fine without a mate, but refusing to find one will only isolate you from your wolf.  And don't compare us to lesser packs, compare us to better ones, and none of them have an unmated alpha, even the King was mated before he ruled.  Don't look down on that bond, aspire to it."

"But why waste time looking for a mate when I can be alpha without one?" it's a weak point, he's already made up his mind.  There is no debating him on this.   Just because I'm relenting, doesn't mean I'll make the search easy.  Maybe if I delay for long enough, we won't have a choice.

"I'm not even sure if you can be Alpha at all Amari, you've been gone for too long.  Do you still train? Do you remember the internal politics of our pack.  Do members still know you? You have a lot you need to catch up on, and in between all that your mother will be organising balls for you to find your mate and I will be looking for a worthy alternative."

"Speaking of which, where is Luna Kira?"  I ask, changing the subject.

"She's at the school, where's your Beta?"
"What's at the school?  And Brianna waited in the foyer, she's catching up with old friends."

"Will she be seeing her parents, or should I expect her home for dinner?"
"It's best to expect her home forever, no offence to your old 'friends', but Brie is not really enthusiastic about going home."

My dad just nods his understanding.  His eyes glaze over, and I know he's mind linking someone, and before long a man his age with dark hair that's long enough to frame his handsome face walks in.  He's tall, but not more than my dad and is well built.  I used to have the biggest crush on him growing up.

"Mari, welcome home," he flashes me a smile that makes my heart beat slightly faster.  He's so damn fine.

Behave.  You should be out searching for a mate not drooling over your father's Beta.

Hey, I'm allowed to find people attractive, there's nothing wrong with that.

Eris blocks me out.  She's been a bit antsy since we got back, buts she's never been the talkative type either, so I let her have it.

"Charlie, hi!" I beam up at him, and he opens his arms for a hug.  I stand up and embrace him with the biggest smile on my face.

"Look at you, you grew up gorgeous!"

I just smile in response, grateful that my dark skin makes it impossible for anyone to see just how heated my cheeks have become.

"Charles, take Amari and Brie to the house to get settled in. She's late, but I want you to take her to training and assess her.  Don't go easy on her, I need to know just how much work we have to do.  Amari, I know you want to see your mother, but that will have to wait, I'm taking her out to lunch, and then a meeting.  We'll be back in time for dinner."  He comes around his desk and kisses me on the forehead. "I've missed you, everyone has." And then he's gone.

Charles leads me out of the office so we can make our way out.  We make light conversation until we meet back up with Brie who is talking to a few old friends that I recognise.  When I arrive, they all stop talking and look up at me and I manage a bright smile and an enthusiastic wave.

"Hey Ames, you remember our old friends, yes? Jasmine, Deidra, Alexis and Denzel?" 

When I hear Denzel's name my eyes shoot up.  Denny was my closest friend before I left.  Me leaving wasn't something he could cope with so we fell out of touch  and by that I mean he stopped talking to me.  The guilt I felt was insurmountable, but the need to leave was more so I never looked back.  When our eyes meet, I'm met with a cold stare.

"Denny..."

"It's Denzel, Miss Nash," he interrupts.  His tone isn't harsh, it's devoid any real emotion.  Almost apathetic, which hurts more.

"Sorry, Denzel, hi, nice to see you again.  You too Jaz, Dee and Lexy.  You all look so different, I love the hair Lex, blue is definitely your colour," I turn my attention towards everyone else to take my attention away from the pain and awkwardness of my failed encounter with Denny.  I'll shelf that for later.

Everyone else is friendly enough, we exchange a few pleasantries and share abridged versions of what we've been up to before Charles clears his throat signalling that we have to go. 

"Okay, I'll see you at training, let me go and unpack," I say as I extend a hand to Brie to help her up.

"Training? Already? Geez Ames, I forgot how intense shit was when you were here," Deidra looks almost sad at the thought, but then quickly adds, "but hey, I'd rather have you busy and back than gone and rested, no offence."

"I'll take that as a complement actually," I smile at her and wave at everyone else.  I give Denzel a hesitant glance and he glares in return making Eris almost growl at the disrespect.

Relax, he's hurting.

Doesn't give him the right to disrespect you.

Eres, it's not a big deal.

Not yet, but if he keeps it up, it will be.

A sigh slips out as follow behind Charles with Brie in tow.  I can tell that this is going to be one hell of a home coming.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.6M 311K 70
Wattpad Creator! Happy and proud. HIM: Staying the night? Not my thing. Hearts and flowers? Boring. Falling in love? Not anytime soon. Settling down...
3.9M 74.8K 89
*THIS BOOK NEEDS TO BE HEAVILY EDITED* TAKEN SERIES: BOOK ONE TW: kidnapping, manipulation, toxic/abusive relationship, violence, death, grief, self...
276K 6.8K 23
"Hey," I said cautiously, scared to make the first move. Thankfully, I didn't have to make it. Luca stepped forward and took me by the waist, pulling...
9.4K 213 26
It's not worth it anymore. The fighting, the hurt, the beatings. It was never going to be worth it. But for love...well love makes you stupid. And I...