In My Skin

By KaraTales

Taylor West is the epitome of self-reliance. Or she must be. Relationships are fickle. Despite finally enroll... More

Author's note
Ch 1 || The Party
Ch 2 || The New Guy
Ch 3 || Doubts
CH 4 || Braids and Worries
CH 5 || A Good Friend and His Sidekick
Ch 6 || At the Lake
CH 7 || Sherlock
CH 8 || His Suffering Face is the Best
CH 9 || Backlash
CH 10 || Fairy tales
CH 11 || Only A Single Regret
CH 12 || Just A Little Mistake
CH 13 || Owing Favors
CH 14 || Repaying Favors
CH 15 || Red Alert
CH 16 || Abandoned Puppies
CH 17 || Halloween Part I
CH 18 || Halloween Part II
CH 19 || Halloween Part III
CH 20 || Halloween Part IV
CH 21 || Library
CH 22 || Out of Bounds
CH 23 || Girl's Night
CH 24 || Temper
CH 25 || Too Cold Without a Jacket
CH 26 || New Years
CH 27 || The Whole Night?
CH 28 || Hedgehogs and Pigeons
Ch 29 || Pranks and Secrets
CH 30 || Killy
Ch 31 || Papers and Cuts
CH 32 || Mr. Pokerface
CH 33 || Drowning
CH 34 || Avoid at all Costs
CH 35 || Friends
CH 36 || Spy Stuff
CH 37 || A Terrible Friend
CH 38 || Late-Night Run
CH 39 || This One Stinks
CH 40 || Flashing Lights on Campus
CH 41 || The Quiet Before The Storm
CH 42 || Done With the Lecture, Professor?
CH 43 || Aliens and Saints
CH 44 || My Baby
CH 45 || Sleep On The Couch
CH 46 || Rules
CH 47 || Potential Wells
CH 48 || Hypocrite
CH 49 || A Taste of His Own Medicine
CH 50 || Perfectly Sob
CH 51 || The Dermatologists Are On A Different Floor
CH 52 || The Monster Beneath My Skin
CH 53 || Intervention
CH 54 || His Inner Grumpy Grandpa
CH 55 || The Problem With Plans
CH 56 || Good Plan
CH 57 || One Job
CH 58 || Not Going Anywhere
Epilogue || Best Friend
Final Thoughts
Aesthetics

CH 59 || Love Language

1.1K 41 35
By KaraTales

The painkillers began to lose their effectiveness as a dull throb started between my shoulder blades. I squirmed, trying to get more comfortable. Killian lifted me and pushed part of the blanket beneath me, cushioning my side. My head now rested on his biceps and I relaxed.

While he adjusted me in his arms, he continued to speak, enunciating each word in that soothing tone of his that made me want to melt into his touch. "Every time I gave you shit you surprised me by giving it right back. At some point, just arguing with you was the highlight of my day. And the fact that you don't ask for anything just makes me want to care for you more. You're the only person capable of driving me mad without any ulterior motives. And on that note, can you not pass out in front of me like that? You're trying to make me suffer, aren't you?"

"If you'd look less cute when you're worried, I'll think about it."

"Cute, huh? Only I'm allowed to call you cute."

He barely flinched when I pinched his side, muttering, "Same hypocrite as always."

Brushing some of my hair aside, he asked in the most patient tone, "Is there anything else you're worried about?"

"Um... My diet is like really strict now."

"That's fine. I can cook anything."

The way he sounded, so sure of himself, made me want to tease him.

"You know Suz's cousin cooked for us and he's really good at it," I said. "I don't know if you can compete."

"Uh-huh," he agreed, a cheeky smile lighting up his face.

"Why are you happy about that?" I asked.

"Oh, am I? I don't know. I think you saying that you love me messed with my brain."

Aha. As if.

"But don't you think it's kind of high maintenance?"

"Princess, you're as low maintenance as it gets."

"That's not true," I argued.

"Do you have any idea what some women make their boyfriends do? You're easy compared to that."

I squinted at him. "You sound like an expert. Had many girlfriends, huh?"

Now he grinned. "No. I just notice a lot."

"Maybe I'll change," I challenged. "If you really piss me off."

"Maybe, but I can always switch you off. You're putty in my hands."

"I'm not!"

"You're a sucker for physical contact."

I stiffened. "It's the opposite, actually. I don't like getting touched sometimes."

"Well, that's no surprise considering who you've been seeing before."

"No, I mean... I-I can't take it if somebody touches me sometimes. Like for days. Cause moving around hurts. And sweat burns because my skin gets so dry—"

"You mean you can't have sex," Killian said bluntly.

Well, this was awkward.

"I-I mean that as well, and just basically touching my face or any part is bad and it can take a while... And I know that can be an issue."

In every single relationship, it was always a problem.

He studied me with a warm gaze. "Princess... I don't mean it in a sexual way. There's a difference. Your love language is physical touch. That's how you recharge. But if you're not really comfortable and it's only about sex, of course, it'll have the opposite effect. It's no wonder you're so shut off when you constantly have to compromise your boundaries."

"I'm actually not much of a cuddler," I replied, acutely aware of the fact that we were currently cuddling. "Normally, at least," I added quickly.

"I think you're plenty cuddly," he said, hugging me closer as if to emphasize the fact. "You were getting all nervous when I moved away from you just now."

"So, you did it on purpose!"

His chest vibrated as he gave a short laugh. "And if you weren't before that just means you actually do notice the intention behind someone touching you even if it's subconsciously."

That sounded a lot like what my old psychiatrist had told me. "But wouldn't it bother you?"

He drew back, raising his brows. "I think I've proven my point that I'm not here to get laid."

Well, if he put it that way, he did. "So, you don't have a problem if I don't want to—"

"I think if anything you're the one trying to get into my pants."

And now I was thinking about what was inside his pants. And the way the whole length of his body was pressed against mine. If I shifted a mere inch to the side, I could—

"Besides," he said, effectively halting my wandering thoughts. "I like that you're so comfortable with me. I wouldn't trade that level of trust for anything. It's the only thing that stops me from keeping you to myself so that no one else sees that side of you."

"What?" he finally asked when I just stared at him stunned. "Too soon? Damn. And here I thought I did a good job holding back whenever that douche was still in the picture. Then he was gone, and that weasel Jared showed up."

Biting back a smile, I said, "So, you're saying that you telling me how awful my boyfriend is every chance you got was you holding back?

"Of course. I didn't beat him up now, did I?"

I gave him a flat look. "So, that's your response if you aren't holding back?"

"Well, I'd also tell him to go fuck himself and hide you away where he can never reach you," he said nonchalantly.

Note to self: Don't push Killian too far.

"So, is there anything else?" he asked.

I squirmed. There was one thing. I just had no idea how to say it without sounding like a spoiled princess.

"It's stupid," I mumbled, already regretting I brought it up at all.

Killian nudged me. "It's not if it's bothering you."

I dropped my gaze. "I was just sort of surprised you accepted it so easily. I know that's kind of a double standard, but it was just unexpected and I'm not saying you didn't have a right to, because you did, but, well, you also said you weren't mad... Well, there I said it."

And it still sounded like a spoiled princess. At least the nickname made sense now.

"You're right."

I gaped at him in shock. "I am?"

"Yeah. I lasted about three days and then I came to see you, but you were asleep and Suz didn't want to wake you up because you hadn't slept at all. So, we talked, and she said that you weren't doing good and well she wanted me to wait and let you figure it out. I said fuck that, you could figure it out with me next to you. We met somewhere in the middle.

"I did some research so I wouldn't fuck things up a second time and told her she had one week. She could talk to you first but if you weren't getting better—mentally I mean— then I would. You have no idea how much I hate sitting on the sidelines while you're suffering on your own."

I couldn't put into words how that made me feel. That he hadn't given up on me even though I'd treated him unfairly. Something else finally clicked into place. The vague way Suz talked about her cousin, the glances she and Cody exchanged every time I brought it up...

"So, there is no cousin," I said.

"I know I might have overstepped but I had to do something for you. Not doing anything drove me insane."

"But...do you know how much work that is? And you just..." I trailed off.

His hand reached up, caressing my cheek. "I don't like doing things behind your back even if it's for your own good. It's making me nervous and I'm never nervous. But Sofia wasn't there, and I was genuinely afraid you guys would poison each other."

He had a point there.

"I wouldn't even have mentioned it, but I didn't want you to think I didn't care. Or that I wouldn't fight for you. Because I would. But your condition was new ground for me and sort of a sensitive topic, so I tried to respect that you needed time to figure things out and that maybe I wasn't the best person to help you at that moment. And then you were doing better, and I didn't want to sabotage that."

The insecurity in his voice made my heart squeeze. I snuggled into his chest, trying to minimize the distance between us as much as possible.

"It's okay. You're allowed to do things behind my back occasionally. And from now on, you're officially my go-to person. If something's up or anyone's bothering me, you'll be the first to know."

"Good. I hope that includes any stalkers, ex-boyfriends, or other annoyances."

I nodded. "If something's up or anyone's bothering me, you'll be the first to know. Brace yourself, because I'll flood you with so many of my worries that you'll eventually get sick of hearing them."

"I doubt that. Is that it?"

"Just one more thing," I said loosening my hold so I could watch his reaction. "I love you."

Killian's eyes widened and then a wide smile spread across his face. "Definitely worth the wait if this is what I get." Pulling me closer, he asked his voice unnaturally shaky, "Can I kiss my girlfriend then?"

Every nerve in my body tingled with anticipation.

Instead of replying—I wasn't sure if I was capable—I brushed my lips again his. His words messed with my head and my attempt at a kiss was clumsy. Yet, every nerve in my body tingled with anticipation as a ball of giddiness bubbled up inside me.

Then he took over and my brain simply shut down. If he hadn't voiced his feelings beforehand, I would have known right now from the careful way he held me, the gentle touch of his lips, how he moved slowly as if he was trying to savor the moment just as much as I did.

Best kiss I'd ever had. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

239 16 9
β€’Klea Carpenter just got accepted in her dream university, where her best friend studies as well. Everything goes smooth until one day, her rival is...
633 155 21
It's Annie's last year in high school, and being the quiet girl nobody knows, she wants things to be different this year. She has had a crush on Shaw...
13K 873 17
She'd die for love. He didn't believe in love. *** From reading The Love Hypothesis by Ali Hazelwood, to watching 10 Things I Hate About You, to list...