Let my fires protect you || K...

By Dev1lsDagg3r

Both their lives are filled with treachery betrayal and constant battles for power You were young and on the... More

Prologue P1
Prologue P2 |3 years later... Then... another year
1.Welcome to the Dregs
2. Journey through the fold
4. Maybe saints and Ketterdam can coincide
5. Freedom
6. Schemes
7. Goodbye Ravka
8. Home sweet home
9. Waffles
10.A bond that can not be broken
11. Monsters
12. Jurda Parem
13. Prison Break
14. The return of a nightmare
15. His Phoenix
16. Her vengeance
17. Darkness calls
18. Hello Fjerda
19. Conflict
20. I've got you
21. Trapped
22. I burn for you

3. Growth

284 5 2
By Dev1lsDagg3r

A/n - If you were questioning, Why are people questioning if Kaz and (Y/n) are married? That is because shadow and bone is set in 1800s Russia and marriage between young people aged 13+ was perfectly normal (I know, ew) and in Shadow and Bone they'll be about 15 years old.

T/W - nightmare with sexual assault, PTSD

I wake up in a nice, cozy bed. It's like the one at the menagerie, but there aren't men using me for there own pleasure. I can still feel their breathe on my skin, their touch, their smell, it all disgusts me, that ride was probably the most similar thing to it; everyone was breathing heavily but due to fear, not movement, it was a cramped space, and, everyone was sweating from the anxiety of it all. It was similar but at least I wasn't the only target this time. 

I can't feel my arm or my lower body, I check to see of they're still there, yes, they are, wonderful. My arm has a massive burn scar running across it and my abdomen just has ice on it to stop the swelling. I try to get up but everything aches so much that it takes me a few goes, but, I get there. I look to the foot of my bed and see the goat curled up at my feet, that's so adorable, I lean forward, aware of my abdomen and use my good arm to stroke him, it bleats telling me that it likes what I'm doing so I continue.

Wait, I only just realised, where the fuck am I? I look around me and see a note:

(Y/n), 

We're at an inn in Kribirsk, It's in East Ravka. We left you here to rest, everyone is downstairs when you're ready.

Be quick about it though we don't have all the time in the world.

- Kaz 

Okay, well that clears things up. I get up and stand with immense difficulty, make myself half presentable to not show that I feel like shit and leave to the others.

I come down stairs to find Jesper, Arken, and Inej drinking their sorrows and immediately Kaz shows up. "We're in luck." he exclaims to us all, "There's a good chance we can crack on." I sit down next to Inej and pay attention, "Do tell." I say, "Now that we're three days travel from the capital, the next play is finding a way inside the Little Palace. It turns out the Kribirsk archives house the Little Palace blueprints, but... they're kept under lock and key. Far from the prying eyes of the masses." He says the final sentence with a tone saying that we're going to have fun.

"YES" Jesper exclaims, "What does that mean?" Arken asks, "Time for a heist" Jesper replies his face full of glee and excitement, I look to Inej and we smirk at each other.

~

Kaz gave us a break to allow him to make the perfect plan for the heist. I'm still amazed with his mind, he has an intellect that you'd only get once in a millennia, he also has this determination that for some reason makes me trust that he'll get us to Alina and allow Inej and I to go free.

"How are you feeling?" I hear Inej ask, "I'm okay, I mean I feel like shit and my arm is burnt to shit but, I'm okay." She lets out a small laugh, "I'm glad, and thank you, without you we might not have made it."

"I'm sure you would've Jesper was fantastic, Kaz and Arken are both geniuses, and then you're so good with knives I wouldn't be surprised if you were a Durast" I explain, "Thank you, I'm not by the way." she replies, I just nod my head.

"Jesper, inej, (Y/n), meeting now." Kaz calls to us, I turn my head then turn back to Inej, "I'm guessing this is going to be fun?" I ask her, "There is a thrill to it, I suppose" We go to Kaz and spot a distraught Jesper, "What's wrong with you?" he looks up at me, "I had to say goodbye to Milo." 

"Milo?"

"The goat" Inej interjects, "Oh, damn, It's for the best, he'll probably get injured if he stayed with us." I say, Jespers' face softened, I can't believe that worked. "Can we discuss the heist now please?" Kaz asks, clearly annoyed, "Sorry" I drop my face hiding the blush spread across my cheeks, this guy really knows how to humble people. "All right. Royal archives heist. Here's the game plan. Watchmen are on guard around the clock, we want to get in and get out as quietly as possible. That means the hardware stays in the holster, Jesper." I let out a small laugh, Jesper gives me a look, "Ugh, fine." he groans. "Inej, the dome on the roof is directly above the repository where the blueprints to the Little Palace are kept" he adresses her, "Got it, that's my way in." she replies, "(Y/n), you're with me, we'll set a trail of phosporous that will lead Inej staight to the target, the repository is secured at all times behind a two-part lock mechanism. So, Inej, you have to leave the way you came in." 

"Why am I with you? The phosphorous should be easy to lay down" I ask him, "Because you're good with people, as seen in the butchers yesterday" Oh, that, Inej looks to me, "What did you do?" 

"I'll talk to you about it later" I reply, she backs down. "You all have one hour before we leave, (Y/n) we're posing as famous sculpters, Ivanovski Ivanov and Karina Kuznetsov, business partners, dress formally. " he says, passing me 200 vlachka,  I nod my head, "One hour starts now". We all leave.

~

Inej follows me back to our room, "Okay, so what happened?" she asks me, sitting on the bed, "Don't we have to get ready for a heist? And I need to get something formal, apparently." 

"Yes, but that won't take long, and I want details of how you impressed Kaz with you're fantastic people skills." I groan and flop down onto the bed next to her, "All that happened is the butchers wife, said we we're married after calling my eyes pretty, it got awkward, she called us a 'handsome couple' and I just said we we're colleagues. Apparently he thinks I must've handled it well." I explain, "To be honest, you did, most people in Kerch are plain rude, or at the least the people we deal with, but that's a given.  Well, congratulations." 

"Thanks Inej, will you help me with this formal thing? I don't really know how to do that, all I know is how to dress myself for combat and for, the menagerie." my head drops down in shame at the final part, "of course I will, let's go"

~

Inej and I enter a tailor's shop and are greeted by a tall woman with sharp features, "Hello, how can I help you two ladies?" she says while doing embroidery, "Hi, I was wondering if you have anything that will compliment my friend here?" Inej asks gesturing to me, she looks up and gasps, "Oh saints, she is beautiful, those eyes! I have the perfect dress, come with me." I blush and Inej grabs my hand pulling me to the place the woman went. She turns round with the most beautiful dress I have ever seen in my life, It was a long gown of black and orange, with long flounce sleeves, in the middle of the dress there was embroided gems that look like a pheonix tail, she turned it round to show a back skirt of yellow orange and red giving an effect of fire. My jaw dropped, the woman grabs my hand "Come, try it on." I look back to Inej and she gives me a nod.

The woman fits me into the dress and spins me to a mirror, "I never thought I would ever wear something like this." I say to her, my voice full of astonishment, "It fits you perfectly, and it suits you. What's the special occasion?" 

"Uhm, I'm going on a night out, with my husband, It's our 1st anniversary tomorrow night." I say, honestly I wouldn't have known what to say if not for the butcher's wife, "Well have a good time, he won't be able to take his eyes off you when he sees you in this." she laughs and I laugh with her, "although, that's normally the idea isn't it when it comes to keeping the men happy." she says, my mind flashes to the menagerie and all the men who have forced themselves, their touch all over my body, the smell of alcohol on their breathe, them calling me a 'whore' or 'their little slut' everytime they finish inside my body, that was the only time I was grateful to Heleen when she gave me a tea to stop me from having a child, I feel bile rise up inside my throat, I run out of the changing room to Inej, she looks at me, "(Y/n) you look..., I don't even know the right word for it, breathtaking." I fall to the floor crying and I throw up missing Inej narrowly, "What's wrong? Was it something I said?" the woman comes in running, I look up at her, "No, it's fine, not feeling well is all." she just nods, I throw up again, "How much is it?" Inej asks, "Normally it would be "250 Vlachka but because it's her and her husband's special night tomorrow and I want her to feel better I'll make it 250." Inej looks at me, telling me "What the...?", I reply with a glance of, "I had to lie." she goes into the pockets of my usual uniform and passing her 150, "Okay, lets get her back into her normal clothes." the woman states, offering me her hand, "No I'll do it myself." I stand and go get changed.

~

"Husband, huh?" Inej teases, when we walk back, "It was the first thing to come to mind after the butchers' wife yesterday." I defend myself, "Sure it was." 

"You're not going to let me forget this are you?" 

"No, I might even get Jesper involved." My eyes widen in shock, "No, you are enough, don't get him involved either, It will be torture." she just smirks. We continue walking for a while looking at various things in Kribirsk, A few vendors, couples walking, children playing in the streets, I liked the sense of normal it gave. "What did she say to you?" Inej speaks up, "she just mentioned pleasing men, it seems silly doesn't it, to get all worked up." she turns to me quickly and grabs both of my hands, "No, don't ever say that. What you and I went through was hell, being beaten by Heleen in the day and being used by multiple men at night, day after day, no one deserves that. You can break sometimes (Y/n), I do too, so do the girls still there." 

"That's why it seems silly, we shouldn't break, we should be strong so we at some point can free them too. We're different to them, they don't have Per Haskell and Kaz Brekker to save them. And when we are saved, I'm going to burn the menagerie to the ground." I say, Inej nods, "And I will help you in anyway I can." I hug her tightly and we continue walking.

~

 When Inej and I get back we have ten minutes left, I change back into my dress and Inej uses this to braid my hair and put it up in a bun after and I put a small dagger in my hair. I get up, "(Y/n), you look amazing, like a true aristocrat" she smiles, "Well, I'm glad I make a good impression for my first heist." I reply, "Okay, lets go before Kaz complains." I say and we go downstairs to spot Jesper and Kaz, Jesper is dressed normally, where as Kaz is dressed, differently. He wears a beret and a layered cloak, It's truly something. I walk down the stairs and Jesper stares up at me, and his jaw literally drops, he nudges Kaz but he's too busy staring at the floor in thought to register. We reach the bottom of the stairs, "Y-you look absolutely stunning." Jesper states, "I've heard that a lot today, Kaz, here is 50 Vlachka from earlier." He looks up and stares for 2 moments too long, "Oh, thank you. Nice outfit, lets get going. Jesper, Inej You'll go there 2 hours after sunset. You'll need to blend in." 

"Easy." Jesper replies, "The lighting valves are on the second floor." Kaz continues, "I'll take my cue once I see the lights go out, and then follow you're trail straight to the blue prints." Inej proclaims, "The archivist as to pull them a number of times a day, so we can't steal thm or they'll know something is up." Kaz reminds her, "So? Make a copy." she smirks, "But careful. If you're heavy handed you'll bleed the ink." 

"I know what I'm doing." she retorts, "Okay (Y/n), our carriage awaits us then." Kaz smirks and gestures his hand towards outside. I look outside to see a black carriage pulled by 2 beautiful horses. "Do you want me to go in first or you?" I ask Kaz, "You go, I'll pass you my cane." I nod and get inside and am followed by Kaz and his cane a few seconds later, "You understand what you're doing, right?"

"Be my usual charming self, apparently." I remark, "This is my way of saying thank you for yesterday, I'm not used to awkward intimate situations such as that. In the barrel everyone knows what I am, apparently Ravka does not but I will show them."

"And what are you Kaz Brekker?" I ask him, maybe it's a taunt, or general curiosity but Kaz's jaw clenches, "A bastard." I laugh, "I will get a serious answer out of you one day, I can promise you that." We stay silent for the rest of the carriage ride. 

We walk into the records facility, "Good day to you, sir. My name is Ivanovski and this is my partner Karina. The sculptor, yes." Kaz announces to the receptionist with hilarious enthusiasm, "All right." he grumbles, "We re in desperate need of your assistance, my kind sir." I begin, he looks at me with lust, fucking men, "My partner is working on a real showstopper for the winter fete, we need the dimensions to the Little Palace entrances. Otherwise, the grand piece may be too grand to fit through the door frame. Do you think you could do that for me?" 

"Damned fete, of course madam, I'd be happy to help." he switches up, and leaves, Kaz is quick to set the trail of phosphorous. "I am able to kill him at some point?" I ask Kaz, "No, conserve your strength, you're still weak from the fold." I remain silent. The man comes back, "Dimensions to the entrances of the Little Palace." I take them from his hand and focus a small heat to his hand making him wince, "Thank you." I say, "May the Sun Summoner bless you." Kaz smiles with enthusiasm, "Oh, I'm not a believer." the receptionist groans, "Truth be told, neither am I." Kaz replies with a cheerful laugh following.

"Now, you go rest,  you're no longer needed. We'll be back by midnight." I feel completely pushed aside because I simply helped out my partners but I know I can't win a battle of wits with Kaz Brekker and go back to the inn. The moment I reach my bed I take of my dress, put on some trousers and a shirt and drift off to sleep.

"(Y/n), (Y/n) wake up." I hear a soft voice call to me, I open my eyes and see blonde hair and, a diamond necklace, "Heleen, w-what?" I back up and try to move but I cant. I look to my arms and see them chained to the post same as my legs, "I have a few people here to see you." I look around the room and see multiple men dressed in arosticratic clothing, "No, No, no get away from me." They move closer and I feel their hands all over me, "I said, GET AWAY FROM ME!" I burst out my chains and send a blazing inferno all about the room swallowing everything whole including the chains, Heleen and the men. 

I wake up to the smell of smoke. I look around the room and everything is in flames, the clothes I have on are singed in patches, luckily. The rest of the room is covered in soot and ash, Thank god the room is made entirely of bricks. "(Y/n), (Y/n) are you okay?" I hear Jesper and Inej from the other side of the door, oh crap! "Yeah, I'm fine."

"Okay, we're coming in." 

"No don-" I say but the door opens, "t do that" I finish, they look all around and look at me with shock, "How the hell did this happen?"

"I don't know, I was asleep, I dreamed of Heleen and then I killed her by setting the room ablaze and then the I smelt ash and saw that everything was burned to ash. "Well, we can easily craft a lie to get you out of this, luckily you're knives and uniform are in my room still. Maybe we should just not tell Kaz before he -"

"Don't tell Kaz before he what? Scalds you all for keeping shit from me." I look down in shame, "I'm sorry Kaz, I didn't mean for this to happen, I thought Grisha could only do this consciously to be completely honest."

"Well you aren't a normal Grisha, you're a bomb ready to explode, a useful bomb, but a bomb nonetheless." he gives out a sigh and his gaze softens, "Right, we'll tell the owner that you were attacked, maybe he might even give us supplies or something as an apology since no one knows what you are apart from Arken and us, now we need to go downstairs to make a plan on how to get into the Little Palace, be down in ten minutes." with that Kaz limps downstairs looking menacing as ever.

~

I get ready immediately and am the last down out of the three of us, we all crowd round a crate and look at the map retrieved, "What about...?" Jesper suggests, but is quickly denied by Inej, this happens again Inej gives a sigh, "There's no way in." she exclaims, "And no way out." Kaz responds. "Well, I thought this plan might not work." Arken finally speaks up, "Oh you did, did you? How nice of you to finally speak up when we have all now learned the answer." I retort, Jesper and Inej let out a laugh and Kaz smiles slightly, Jesper looks at Kaz then at me, "Why is Kaz smiling?" Kaz's face goes straight immediately, "Inej, did you see that? (Y/n) what have you done to him?" I laugh, "Nothing, now be quiet." Kaz commands us all. We look at the map again but a scream steals our attention, an acrobat on a ribbon falls and hits the ground with a loud bang, God that's got to hurt.  "We'll take a break for now, have a drink and think of... something." Kaz proclaims to us, I feel my heart drop, at this moment my hope has been running on Kaz and his intelligence. What do I do if he can't think of a way to get us in? 

~

"Got any plans up your sleeve?" Inej asks, Kaz gives her an annoyed look, I take my glass of ale and down the rest of it. They all give me a look and I just shrug my shoulders. "I mean Kribirsk isn't the worst. We can open up a bar. Brew East Ravkan beer for the Westerners?" 

"Yes and then what happens when Kerch footman come looking for Inej and I so we can pay off the rest of our fucking Indenture?" I snap back at Jesper. "You kill them with your Grisha powers?" he replies meekly, "Shut up Jesper." Kaz and Inej command him, "I miss Milo."

"Who doesn't" I remark. "Friends." Arken announces joyfully, reminding us of his presence, "Since when?" I ask, I get an angry growl in response, "What are you so cheery about?" 

"This is Marko. Marko is the leader of the travelling troupe known as the Pomdrakon Players. They have been invited to perform in this years Winter Fete." Arken explains,my spirits are lifted and I know it's definitely not the alcohol, It's Arken. "A lifelong dream." Marko exclaims. " A chance to get inside the Little Palace, but they lost their star performer due to an unfortunate freak accident. They are in desperate need of someone with the skills to replace their star performer, and as Ketterdam's premier talent manager, I had an idea." Kaz gives Inej a look, "As a friend once said 'If I can't crack this none of us are going anywhere.'" she passes me her knives and goes with Marko.

~

We stand and watch in awe of Inej's skill, she did stuff like this in the menagerie for the men in a skimpy suit which I was surprised she could even fit in and move the way she did, but she had tears in her eyes when she did that. I found out that anytime she did it, it reminded her of her family. she finished and people clapped in thunderous applause for her. Marko goes up to her with a glint in his eye, "The saints must have sent you. Yes, the show will go on. Now can you fit into this." he holds up a leotard and she hesitates, I go to her to try and support her but Jesper beats me to the chase, "Of course she can. Those are her colours, but the thing is, Inej comes as part of a package deal" I put my hand on Jespers shoulder and send a small burst of heat to his skin, "You're an asshole." I whisper, he turns round and I smile politely. "No free rides, what are your talents." Jesper smirks, and him and Inej do a double act where he shoots at a card in Inej's mouth. I bend flame round me in circles and do a small dance that Kesh taught me, he loves this and presents to me a small orange dress which I have no choice but to take. some of the audience loved what I did, the rest got so angry that I was forced outside.

~

"You didn't have to do that." Kaz scalds me, while I practice outside in the dress. "What give me a way in?" 

"No, present what you are to the people here, if Marko hadn't persuaded the manager to let you stay on the premises you could have gotten yourself and us thrown out." he exclaims, "I don't understand why people hate non-shadow summoner grisha, we're still human, I get the prejudice against shadow summoners because of the fold but, not the rest of us."

"People are afraid of people more powerful than them or things they don't understand, it's human nature." Kaz explains, "That's really stupid." I remark, he nods, I continue the dance for hours and Kaz just stands there watching. Inej and Jesper come outside, and I stop.

"Are you guys okay? You've been out here for hours." Jesper asks, "Yeah, I've just been practicing, getting used to dancing in this thing and Kaz is just watching." Jesper's face goes into shock, "Question, why is Kaz watching?" Jesper looks at Kaz, "Kaz is watching because he need to watch over the loose cannon who has a habit for losing control." he remarks. "Sure whatever you say." Inej speaks up with a smirk at Jesper, they turn round and leave, I continue until dark with Kaz leaned against a wall, "It's getting cold, we should probably head in and rest, especially you, you're still recovering from a bullet wound." Kaz speaks up, "Yeah, I suppose so, thanks for staying with me." I reply, "No problem."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.6K 70 5
Y/n is a daughter of Alicent, but she admires Rhaenyra's bastard
49.1K 1.5K 14
A love like theirs was something ๐˜ต๐˜ช๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ๐˜ญ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด๐˜ด "๐——๐—ถ๐—ฑ ๐˜†๐—ผ๐˜‚ ๐—บ๐—ถ๐˜€๐˜€ ๐—บ๐—ฒ?" โค– After being separated for many centuries, two eternals reunite and...
5.9K 134 13
Twenty years after the events that ended the clone wars Anakin and (y/n) Skywalker are lost in hiding while the galaxy struggles against the rule of...
Forgotten By Levy

Historical Fiction

19.5K 313 28
Alice Miller gets to marry the king (Henry VIII). The new queen is flawless and well liked by princess Elizabeth. A bond is created between the two u...