Light in the Dark

By silentrambles

To Tricia, Detective Jayden Rivera was a little too reckless and aloof for her liking. Yet Tricia couldn't he... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: Nice to Meet You?
Chapter 2: White (#FFFFFF)
Chapter 3: Beige (#F4EED8)
Chapter 4: Yellow (#FFBF34)
Chapter 5: Green (#A9D39E)
Chapter 6: Blue (#ADD8E6)
Chapter 7: Purple (#CEC2EB)
Chapter 8: Red (#F88379)
Chapter 9: Grey (#C0C0C2)
Chapter 10: Pink (#FEC5E5)
Chapter 11: Orange (#F28500)
A/N: Update Schedule and Comments
Chapter 12: Coincidences
Chapter 13: Explanations
Chapter 14: Shadows
Chapter 15: Deadlines
Chapter 16: Finally
Chapter 17: Beginnings
Chapter 18: Bonds
A/N: Updates
Chapter 19: Breaking the news
Chapter 20: Goodbye and Revelations
A/N: When I do
Chapter 21: All's Good?
Chapter 23: Possibilities
Chapter 24: Crossroads
Chapter 25: Risky
Chapter 26: Pain
Chapter 27: Missing You
Chapter 28: Hope
Chapter 29: Repress
A/N: Which would be better?
Chapter 30: Counting down
Chapter 31: To J
Chapter 32: Opportunities
Chapter 33: Finale Part 1
Chapter 34: To Trish
Chapter 35: Man Down
Chapter 36: All is well
A/N: Coming to an end soon :')
Chapter 37: I hate you, I'm sorry
Chapter 38: Promises
Chapter 39: Family
Chapter 40: 1 + 1 + 1 = 1
Chapter 41: Kumpas
Finale: The Grace of our Beloved Morning Star

Chapter 22: MY

160 14 5
By silentrambles

"Have fun with the little cutie while you two are there!" Aika hugged Tricia.

"Thank you for helping look out for Lola." Jayden appreciated that the Robredos were going to check on Lola while he and Tricia were away.

"We're all family, it's nothing." Atty Leni assured.

"Call us when you meet Kaela!" Jill reminded Tricia.

"You've repeated yourself 5 times, bunso."  Tricia made a face at Jill's nagging.

"Shoo and go enjoy your holiday. Take care of Patty and make sure she doesn't overload on caffeine." Aika teased her sister as she sent them into the departure gate. Tricia sent her sister a pout before leaving.

"You heard that? No coffee." Jayden chuckled.

"Ate said no overloading, not no coffee." Tricia retorted.

"Ok, ok...why don't you go grab a seat and I'll order coffee." Jayden gave in.

"That's more like it." Tricia grinned.

"Catch some sleep, I'll wake you up when we land." Jayden noticed that Tricia was dozing off. She had just finished her last 72 hour shift for the year and was beat.

"Hmmm..." Tricia instinctively leaned on Jayden with a soft murmur.

"Welcome to Kuala Lumpur International Airport..." The captain announced as the plane taxied.

"We're here, Trish..." Jayden whispered to Tricia, who woke up immediately.

"Are we heading to the hotel first?" Tricia asked as they walked out of baggage claim.

"We'll go to Kaela's kindergarten right after we drop our bags." Jayden chuckled, knowing how much Tricia wanted to see Kaela.

"We have her for the day right?" Tricia asked excitedly.

"Yep, the Sister in charge gave us permission to take her out today." Jayden grinned.

"Let's go quickly then!" Tricia dragged Jayden along.

"Kaela doesn't get out of kindergarten until 1pm!" Jayden chuckled.

"Do you think we should have told her before coming? What if she gets too shocked?" Tricia and Jayden were standing in front of Kaela's kindergarten.

"Well, the Sister said would be nice to give her a surprise..." Jayden hesitated.

"Uh, too late to think now..." Tricia pointed at the small figure coming out of the kindergarten. Kaela was walking with her head down and didn't see Tricia and Jayden.

"Hi, I'm looking for a Ms Kaela?" Jayden knelt in front of Kaela to get her attention. The girl looked up and stared at Tricia and Jayden wide-eyed.

"Can I get a hug, cutie?" Tricia bent down as well.

"TRISHIE! JAYDIE!" Kaela broke out into a smile as she ran straight into Tricia's embrace.

"We missed you, cutie." Tricia smiled as Kaela snuggled into her hug.

"I missed you too...I thought you guys weren't coming..." Kaela pouted.

"Trish and I always keep our promises to you, cutie. Anyways, what got our cutie so upset?" Jayden wondered.

"We're having a family day in school tomorrow..." Kaela reached over to Jayden's embrace.

"Fanily day?" Tricia raised an eyebrow.

"All my friends are bringing their Mummies and Daddies but I don't have a Mummy or a Daddy..." Kaela buried her head into Jayden's neck.

"You have me and Jayden. We can go with you tomorrow." Tricia brushed Kaela's hair to the side to see her face.

"Really?" Kaela straightened her back.

"Can't let our cutie pout when we have a full day of fun planned ahead of us, can we?" Tricia nodded.

"Shall we go have some fun then?" Jayden looked at Kaela.

"Where are we going?" Kaela asked excitedly.

"How does a water park sound?" Tricia suggested.

"YES PLEASE!" Kaela did a little dance.

"But...I don't have a swimsuit..." Kaela realised suddenly.

"We can go get one now." Jayden smiled as he let Kaela down.

"Shall we?" Tricia stretched out her hand.

"Let's go!" Kaela held both Jayden and Tricia's hands, pulling them along.

~

"Woah...it's huge!" Kaela was amazed at the sight of the water park.

"What do you want to ride first?" Tricia looked down at Kaela, who was in her brand new swimsuit and a life vest for safety.

"Uh, that one!" Kaela pointed to a slide.

"That?" Jayden laughed nervously. It was a slide with a height minimum.

"Hi, what's the height minimum for this?" Tricia asked the staff in charge.

"120cm for solo riders. Children riding with their parents need to be 100cm." The staff informed them.

"Do you think she's over 100cm?" Jayden whispered to Tricia.

"Let me take you daughter's height..." The staff member offered.

"110cm..." The staff read out.

"Does that mean I can ride this?" Kaela asked.

"Of course, little miss tall." Jayden grinned as he picked Kaela up to climb the steps.

"You're one tall girl, aren't you." Tricia chuckled as they waited for their turn.

"I'm taller than most girls in my class!" Kaela bragged.

"I won't be surprised..." Tricia had seen enough 4 year-olds to know that.

"Daddy and Mummy, please sit with your child in between..." The staff member instructed.

"Are you comfortable?" Tricia asked as Jayden carried Kaela and sat her next to Tricia.

"Yep!" Kaela nodded as Jayden took his spot on the other side.

"Here we go..." The staff pushed the float off the platform.

"Ahhh!" Kaela let out an excited scream as the float landed safely in the pool after a short but fun ride.

"Since when did kid-safe rides get this fun?" Tricia chuckled as she got off the float.

"It was never this fun when we were kids..." Jayden carried Kaela into Tricia's arms before getting off himself.

"Trishie, what's that?" Kaela pointed to the lazy river in front of her.

"That's the lazy river. You can sit on the float and it'll take you around the park!" Tricia answered.

"Can we do it?" Kaela asked.

"Of course we can." Tricia grinned.

"Will I fall?" Kaela blinked nervously as she looked at the float in the water.

"We'll be holding onto you on the side. You'll be safe with us." Jayden was already in the water holding onto the float.

"Shall we?" Tricia carried Kaela and placed her gently into the float.

"Did you know that Trish is a really good swimmer? If you fall in, she'll save you." Jayden teased.

"Wow, Trishie...does that mean you're a mermaid? I thought you were a doctor?" Kaela looked at Tricia.

"I am a doctor. Mermaids are prettier than me." Tricia chuckled.

"I think you're prettier than any mermaid out there." Jayden winked.

"Have you seen a mermaid, Jaydie? Are they really pretty?" Kaela looked at Jayden expectantly.

"I haven't but I don't think I need to. I have the two most beautiful ladies in front of me now." Jayden grinned.

"Jaydie's cheesy." Kaela turned to complain to Tricia.

"She called you cheesy, Rivera." Tricia splashed water at Jayden.

"Trishie, let's run away before Jaydie gets angry!" Kaela held onto Tricia's arm.

"Great idea, let's go!" Tricia held both sides of Kaela's float and started swimming.

"Wait for me!" Jayden called out as he swam after the ladies.

"Ahhh! He's coming!" Kaela giggled as Jayden caught up.

"Caught ya!" Jayden emerged from the water, one hand on Tricia's waist and the other on Kaela's float. 

~

"Where are we going next?" Kaela wondered as Jayden buckled her into the car that he'd rented for the trip. 

"What does our cutie want to eat?" Jayden asked.

"Uh...I don't know..." Growing up, Kaela never had much freedom in choosing her meals.

"How about we have some western food?" Tricia suggested.

"Western food? What's that?" Kaela didn't have a concept of what it was.

"You'll see when we get there!" Tricia winked, eliciting an excited clap from Kaela.

"Hi, table for 3 please. Thank you." Jayden nodded at the waiter as they entered the restaurant in the nearby mall.

"Woah, there's so many things to eat here!" Kaela scanned through the menu.

"What would you like, cutie?" Tricia leaned in.

"What's this? And this?" Kaela pointed at two pictures that intrigued her.

"That's steak and fish and chips, cutie. Shall we get those?" Tricia answered.

"Yes, please!" Kaela nodded happily.

"Enjoy your meal!" The waiter greeted as he placed the food down.

"Thank you!" The three said in unison.

"Here, let me take a bit of everything on your plate..." Tricia cut up a piece of steak and some fish, alongside the fries, before handing it to Kaela.

"Careful, it's hot." Jayden reminded as Kaela poked a piece of meat with her fork.

"Blow on it before you eat." Tricia added.

"Okay!" Kaela huffed and puffed her cheeks, trying to cool down her food. The adorable sight only served to melt Jayden and Tricia's heart.

"Is it tasty?" Tricia watched as Kaela chewed slowly on the small piece of steak. 

"Mmm...it's really good, Trishie!" Kaela gave her a thumbs up. 

"Trish...here..." Jayden gently placed a plate of food in front of Tricia. 

"Thank you, pangga." Tricia gave Jayden a grateful nod. 

"Trishie, why don't you have some steak?" Kaela studied Tricia's plate. 

"I don't really eat meat, cutie..." Tricia replied. 

"But why? It's really yummy..." Kaela couldn't understand. 

"I'm pescetarian...it means that I avoid meat except for seafood like fish...Does that sound confusing to you?" Tricia chuckled as she watched Kaela's eyebrows furrow while she explained. 

"Uh...a little bit. But if you like it, then I like it too!" Kaela shrugged. 

"It just means more meat for you and me, cutie." Jayden joked, earning him a smack from Tricia. 

"Can we please get ice cream after this?" Kaela blinked innocently at the adults. 

"You got to ask Dr Tricia...don't look at me." Jayden raised his hands. 

"Trishie...can we?" Kaela gave Tricia her best pleading eyes. 

"Ice cream and cold drinks aren't common asthma triggers..." Tricia addressed the misconception. 

"Does that mean I can have them?" Kaela's eyes lit up. 

"Moderation, cutie. Everything in moderation." Tricia reminded. 

"As long as we get ice cream!" Kaela was more than happy with a 'moderate' amount of ice cream. 

"Hi there, little princess. How was the meal?" The cashier asked Kaela, who was in Tricia's arms because she 'wanted to see'. 

"It was delicious! Thank you!" Kaela answered with a huge smile. 

"Your daughter is adorable. She really looks like a perfect combination of Mummy and Daddy." The cashier commented. 

"Thank you..." Tricia decided to just accept the compliment to avoid any explanations. Sometimes, it was just easier.

"Trishie, can I sleep with you and Jaydie tonight?" Kaela wondered as they finished their ice cream. 

"I...I'm not sure about that, cutie. I would have to ask the Sister in charge..." Tricia replied hesitantly. 

"Can I please sleep with you? Please..." Kaela held Tricia's hand. 

"I'll go call the center..." Jayden whispered to Tricia before heading to a corner. 

"What did they say?" Tricia asked as Jayden returned. 

"They approved it but we will have to drop by to sign some forms and pick up Kaela's things before we have her for the night." Jayden passed the message. 

"Yay! I'm sleeping with Trishie and Jaydie tonight!" Kaela cheered excitedly. 

"I hope we don't mess up..." Jayden whispered. 

"We'll be fine. We're experienced...at least I think we are." Tricia whispered back. 

"Thank you for making exceptions, Sister Maria. We appreciate it." Jayden was signing the forms while Tricia helped Kaela pack her things. 

"Don't worry about it. The other Sisters and I were wrecking out heads about Kaela's family sports event tomorrow, thank goodness for you and Ms Robredo." The head Sister assured. 

"Jaydie! I'm ready!" Kaela ran up to Jayden. 

"You ready to go?" Jayden picked Kaela up. 

"Everything's inside the bag!" Kaela pointed to the small backpack that Tricia had on her shoulder. 

"Anything we need to take note of, Sister Maria?" Tricia turned to the older lady. 

"Other than Kaela's asthma, which I'm sure you know better than me, you two should be good to go." Sister Maria patted Tricia on the back. 

"Bye bye, Sister Maria..." Kaela waved as they walked out of the center. 

"See you tomorrow, Kaela." Sister Maria watched as Tricia buckled Kaela into her seat and Jayden kept her backpack in the back seat. 

"We'll bring her back safely tomorrow. Good night." Jayden bowed slightly. Sister Maria stayed until the car was out of sight. 

"What if Kaela gets too attached to Mr Rivera and Ms Robredo?" The voice behind made Sister Maria turn. 

"I may be jumping the gun, but something tells me this would be a happy ending..." Sister Maria gave the younger Sister a mysterious smile. 

"But they aren't married and they aren't even Malaysians..." The younger Sister had her doubts.

"Well, if it's in God's plan...he'll bless them in ways that we could never comprehend. Have faith, my dear." Sister Maria laughed as she entered the center. 

~

"Shall we shower and get ready for bed? It's late already..." Tricia looked at the clock in the Airbnb.

"How about you help her wash-up while I make hot some milk for her and get the bed ready." Jayden suggested. 

"Sige." Tricia nodded as she grabbed Kaela's things out from her bag. 

"Can I hold both your hands while I sleep?" Kaela asked. The three of them were lying in bed, Jayden to Kaela's right and Tricia to her left. 

"Of course, cutie." Tricia immediately wrapped her hand around Kaela's. 

"Tomorrow when we go for the sports day..." Kaela paused mid-sentence. 

"Hmm?" Tricia and Jayden both turned to look at Kaela.

"Can I...call you...Mummy and Daddy?" Kaela held her breath. 

"Kaela..." Tricia exchanged looks with Jayden. 

"Please? It's just for tomorrow during the sports day! All of my friends keep asking where my Mummy and Daddy are but I don't know how to answer them..." Kaela's eyes glistened with tears. 

"Kaela, look at me?" Tricia cupped Kaela's cheeks. 

"You can call us what you want tomorrow. But Jayden and I want you to know that even if you don't know where your Mummy and Daddy are, there are lots of people who love you. The Sisters and your friends in the center and at school, they all love you for who you are, Kaela. Don't forget that." Tricia wanted Kaela to know. 

"Plus you and Jaydie." Kaela snuggled closer to Tricia. 

"That's right, cutie." Tricia hugged Kaela. 

"Shall we go to sleep now?" Jayden covered Kaela with the blanket. 

"Good night, Jaydie and Trishie." Kaela muttered sleepily. 

"Good night." Jayden and Tricia both leaned in to give Kaela goodnight kisses. Tomorrow was going to be a good day. 

A/N:

hi lovelies, im back after the sem :) 

thank you all for waiting, i love you <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19.6K 543 50
Aika Robredo was a poster child: with a Masters from Harvard, a respectable career trajectory and dependable eldest daughter of the Robredo family. E...
79.2K 2.3K 19
Leni Robredo transfers to a new university for personal reasons, there she meets the scary gang leader Rodrigo Duterte and the smooth talking rich ki...
8.9K 476 36
Chief Inspector Camila Cabello of Cambridge Station 4 in UK was respected by the citizens there, she was loved because of her good deeds that the cit...