Chapter 19: Breaking the news

"Uh..." Alex hesitated as he approached Jayden's table.

"Spill. What trouble did you get yourself into now?" Jayden looked up.

"It's not me. It's Kaela. The immigration office just informed that her flight back is in 5 days." Alex held his breath.

"5 days? That's...fast." Jayden tried to control his expression but failed horribly.

"I know but Kaela's reached her limit of extensions. Go do what you need, I know you and Tricia have grown attached to her..." Det. Torres gave Jayden a sympathetic pat on the back.

"Hey Trish..." Jayden opened his arms out for a hug as Tricia approached him at the hospital's carpark.

"What's with the glum face, handsome?" Tricia noticed the look in Jayden's eyes.

"I'll tell you over dinner. Come on, pretty." Jayden opened the door for Tricia.

"Is it Kaela?" Tricia asked as Jayden stopped at a red light.

"How did you know?" Jayden was surprised.

"A lucky guess...or maybe not." Tricia took back her words.

"Kaela's flight back is in 5 days." Jayden spilled.

"5 days? So this Thursday?" Tricia counted.

"Yep. 2pm." Jayden sighed.

"Does she know?" Tricia wondered.

"Not yet...Sir asked me to break it to her but I don't know how am I supposed to tell Kaela that she's leaving." Jayden pulled up in front of his house. Lola Agnes was spending the night over at one of her friend's.

"Let's do it together." Tricia held Jayden's hand. She was equally attached to the girl.

"What do you want to eat? I'll cook." Jayden changed the topic to lighten the mood.

"Anything. I like whatever you cook." Tricia grinned as she tied up her hair.

"Your wish is my command, Doc." Jayden smiled.

"Masarap..." Tricia gave Jayden a thumbs up as she took the first bite.

"Eat more then, Nurse Rose said that you've been skipping your meals recently." Jayden scooped more rice onto Tricia's plate.

"Okay lang, it's just that I've been busy." Tricia assured as she took another bite.

"If you're too busy, I can pack lunch for you and send it before work." Jayden offered.

"You're Detective Rivera, not Chef Rivera...although you do look sexy whenever you cook." Tricia teased.

"I'll be Naggy Rivera if you fall sick, Doc Tricia." Jayden frowned. 

"A sexy chef that nags? Sounds like an interesting case study for research..." Tricia chuckled. 

"Turning your specialisation to internal medicine or surgery?" Jayden poured a glass of water for Tricia. 

"You never know...Care to be my guinea pig?" Tricia held up her index fingers to imitate a scalpel. 

"At your service, Doc." Jayden shrugged as he pushed back his chair. 

"I haven't been in the OR for a while, you know?" Tricia warned Jayden. 

"I won't sue you for malpractice." Jayden laughed. 

"You ready?" Tricia leaned in with her 'scalpel'. 

"Don't kill me..." Jayden raised an eyebrow. 

"If you stop breathing, I'll just do CPR." Tricia smirked.