In My Skin

By KaraTales

Taylor West is the epitome of self-reliance. Or she must be. Relationships are fickle. Despite finally enroll... More

Author's note
Ch 1 || The Party
Ch 2 || The New Guy
Ch 3 || Doubts
CH 4 || Braids and Worries
CH 5 || A Good Friend and His Sidekick
Ch 6 || At the Lake
CH 7 || Sherlock
CH 8 || His Suffering Face is the Best
CH 9 || Backlash
CH 10 || Fairy tales
CH 11 || Only A Single Regret
CH 12 || Just A Little Mistake
CH 13 || Owing Favors
CH 14 || Repaying Favors
CH 15 || Red Alert
CH 16 || Abandoned Puppies
CH 17 || Halloween Part I
CH 18 || Halloween Part II
CH 19 || Halloween Part III
CH 20 || Halloween Part IV
CH 21 || Library
CH 22 || Out of Bounds
CH 23 || Girl's Night
CH 24 || Temper
CH 25 || Too Cold Without a Jacket
CH 26 || New Years
CH 27 || The Whole Night?
CH 28 || Hedgehogs and Pigeons
Ch 29 || Pranks and Secrets
CH 30 || Killy
Ch 31 || Papers and Cuts
CH 32 || Mr. Pokerface
CH 33 || Drowning
CH 34 || Avoid at all Costs
CH 35 || Friends
CH 36 || Spy Stuff
CH 37 || A Terrible Friend
CH 38 || Late-Night Run
CH 39 || This One Stinks
CH 40 || Flashing Lights on Campus
CH 41 || The Quiet Before The Storm
CH 42 || Done With the Lecture, Professor?
CH 43 || Aliens and Saints
CH 44 || My Baby
CH 45 || Sleep On The Couch
CH 46 || Rules
CH 47 || Potential Wells
CH 48 || Hypocrite
CH 49 || A Taste of His Own Medicine
CH 50 || Perfectly Sob
CH 52 || The Monster Beneath My Skin
CH 53 || Intervention
CH 54 || His Inner Grumpy Grandpa
CH 55 || The Problem With Plans
CH 56 || Good Plan
CH 57 || One Job
CH 58 || Not Going Anywhere
CH 59 || Love Language
Epilogue || Best Friend
Final Thoughts
Aesthetics

CH 51 || The Dermatologists Are On A Different Floor

895 36 87
By KaraTales

It had turned out Killian wasn't at home. This was how I found myself driving down the highway on my way to St. James Medical Center. Cody had dropped me off at Suz's place and it hadn't been until I'd finished washing up and applying moisturizer that I'd gotten down to call him and ask where his roommate had run off to. Which was the emergency room after he'd gotten a call that his sister had had an intense allergic reaction to her medication.

When I had called Killian earlier, his voicemail picked up. He'd probably run out of battery.

I tightened my grip, trying to steady my trembling hands on the steering wheel. Knowing Killian, he'd probably noticed my eczema by now like he noticed everything else. Even if he didn't know how bad it could get...

Still, how could I have been so caught up in my own stuff that I hadn't even questioned where Killian went? Or what happened?

No. I had to focus. For once, Killian needed support and not the other way around. This was my chance to be there for him.

There was only a slight problem...

By the time I arrived, my skin was bubbling with a prickling, itching sensation like an active volcano about to erupt. I risked a glance in the rearview mirror, regretting it instantly. I looked exactly how it felt. Flaky and irritated.

Whenever a flare hit me like this, all I wanted was to hide away until it was over. But I couldn't fuck this up.

I pinched my neck over and over until the skin was red and the itch had receded somewhat. I could do this. After giving myself another pep-talk, I finally left the car and trudged toward the hospital, feeling like I was dragging an anchor behind me. I halted outside the large double doors. It was easy, right? Just go in there and check on him. Let him know I was there. No problem.

Right.

The intense smell of disinfectant surrounded me as soon as I stepped inside the building. The entrance bustled with activity. A screaming kid sat beside his stressed mother, who had a tired, almost resigned look on her face. A couple had a loud argument right next to a guy in a wheelchair, who looked as if he wished to be anywhere else. My breath sped up, and the noises mixed and mashed, coming together to form one loud white noise.

Everyone I passed seemed to gawk at me like I was an exotic animal at the zoo. I shriveled under the intense gaze of an older woman in a patient's gown until I realized she was staring at the couple fighting behind my back. I instinctively hunched my shoulders, tugging the hood of the sweatshirt—specifically Killian's—lower over my face, although it hardly made a difference. Their stares seemed to cast a scorching spotlight on my face despite my attempt to shield myself from their prying eyes.

It's all in my head.

Thankfully, Cody knew which floor he was on. With my head lowered I slipped into the elevator, forcing myself to ignore the anxiety that rippled over my skin, further enhancing the itch until my whole body was twitching, begging for relief.

Don't scratch. Don't scratch... Fuck.

As soon as the elevator spit me out on the fourth floor, I dashed into the nearest bathroom. Then I turned the water as cold as possible and splashed it over my neck and face. I took a shaky breath and carefully dried my face with a paper towel. Not even a second later my skin tightened, almost painfully.

Shit. I hadn't brought any moisturizer.

This was a disaster. Should I just go back? But that was like giving up. I had to find Killian and check on him. I could do this. I just couldn't move my facial muscles in the process.

I exited the bathroom just to run into one of the last people I wanted to see right now. Alicia's raised voice immediately drew attention. "Hey, watch where you're going—Wait, Taylor?"

The thick, sweet scent clinging to her triggered my skin as if a thousand little needles were tickling me beneath the surface. I clenched my fists, fighting the urge to scratch my face as I tugged my hood tighter and avoided her gaze.

"Hey...what are you doing here?" she asked, scrutinizing me.

I struggled to appear casual as I said, "I'm looking for Killian."

"Wait a second. Looking like that?"

"L-like that?"

"I don't know what your deal is, and frankly I don't care. But my best friend needs her brother, family that actually cares. And Killian needs someone who can support him right now. He doesn't need another patient. And I'm sorry, but you look as if you can't even support yourself. The dermatologists are on a different floor."

Her words were like boiling water pouring over my head, burning my face. There was nothing to say. Because she was right. It was foolish of me to come here, thinking I could handle something as normal as checking on my sort-of boyfriend when he needed me.

After fleeing from the hospital, I found myself aimlessly driving around town until I somehow ended up on campus. My mind was consumed by the uncomfortable feeling, radiating from the crown of my head down to my shoulders, throbbing with each passing moment.

I'd fucked it. Killian needed me, what, once? And I had abandoned him, like a beaten dog with their tail between their legs.

Pathetic.

The parking lot was nearly empty, not surprising with spring break around the corner. Clutching my bag, I hurried towards the university library. Might as well return the last few books I had.

Focused on keeping my head down, I collided head-on with a hard chest.

"Woah, easy there," a male voice said, gripping my shoulders.

"O-oh. Sorry," I said, lifting my head.

My luck today was terrible. First Alicia, now Jared. I should have just stayed at Suz's place.

"Good thing I see you today," he started conversationally. "I've been meaning to ask you..." His words trailed off as he took me in. "I mean, are you okay? You look—I think you got an allergic reaction or something."

"Oh, y-yeah..." I stammered, his words crushing the tiny sliver of hope that it didn't look as bad as it felt. That, maybe, my condition wasn't as visible as I thought.

"Wait." He took a step back, a hint of apprehension in his voice. "It's not contagious, is it?"

I hugged myself, averting my eyes. It wasn't the first time I got that reaction—not that it made it any easier. That was the reason I isolated myself whenever I got like this.

"No," I said after a pause. "It's eczema," I admitted, tensing internally.

"Oh," he replied looking a little less put-out. "I thought it was something worse. I heard they have cremes for that. You shouldn't scratch that."

Only then did I register that I'd been digging my fingers into the crook of my arm. I flexed my muscles, tightening my fists until my hands were shaking.

"If it's that bad, you should probably see a doctor," Jared continued, oblivious to my discomfort. "Before you get an infection or anything."

My legs turned to rubber, and I stumbled backward as if the ground had been yanked from beneath me. This was the look. Part pity, part discomfort.

"I know what to do," I snapped. The itching intensified as if fueled by the shame and guilt flooding me. The itching was an insatiable predator. Once you started, it wouldn't be satisfied until my flesh laid bare and the pain blocked out everything else.

"I—Jeez, I was just trying to help. Girls always value their skin so much. They probably have products for this. Maybe some moisturizer could help."

Somebody called his name.

"Er...yeah," he said, suddenly sounding disinterested. "I mean, I hope you'll get well soon. I'll catch you later then." He waved, already turning away before I had a chance to reply.

Somehow, I returned the book and managed to make it back to my car without ripping my skin apart. As twilight settled in, I remained frozen, trapped in the torment of denying myself the relief of scratching, as if I were inflicting punishment upon myself.

I hated this. For a month, I had been living in a facade of normalcy, but it was just that—an illusion.

I could explain it of course. Killian would understand. He wouldn't abandon me because I was sick. But what if I never got better? A shudder ran through me as I recalled the memory of the last time, I had been sick. It had stolen away over half a year of my life. Half a year of isolation, where online games served as the only semblance of human connection. Understanding had its limits.

What had he said? The worst thing for him was to helplessly watch her condition worsen.

And it would affect him. Everywhere I went, I'd either had to fight the urge to scratch or fight the urge to endure the judging stares. The mere thought of meeting his sister, let alone facing the scrutiny of his entire family, sent a wave of apprehension through me.

What if something else happened and I wouldn't be able to be there for him? Wasn't our relationship already on borrowed time? Was this really fair to him?

My eyes welled up. No.

In the end, the issue didn't lie with him or his potential response. It was me. Me and my own inability to deal with the situation. All my relationships were destined for failure because I couldn't even fix myself.

At that moment, my phone vibrated with an incoming call. Killian. I stared at the lit-up screen, my finger hovering above the accept button. I continued to stare as the call went to voicemail, and the phone eventually went dark, severing the last thread connecting me to him.

He didn't call again. It was already eleven-thirty. Perhaps he thought I was asleep.

I knew what I had to do, and I had to do it now before we became too attached.

I stifled a cry, my chest tightening painfully, making each breath a struggle. Typing out the text message took longer than normal, my hands lacking the usual strength and coordination.

Blinking back tears, I clenched my jaw and started the car. I had to hold it together one more day. Just one more day.

Tomorrow, the one-month trial came to an end.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.9K 873 17
She'd die for love. He didn't believe in love. *** From reading The Love Hypothesis by Ali Hazelwood, to watching 10 Things I Hate About You, to list...
1.5M 34.3K 60
[18+] ENEMIES TO LOVERS SPORTS ROMANCE. °•°•°•° Hannah Walker doesn't trust anyone, especially men. They're manipulative and toxic - her lousy ex tau...
92 7 5
Enemies to lovers trope 16 year old Lily was struggling. You'd think that living in the always-sunny California and being the 5'2 brunette with green...
2.6K 155 34
With a drug lord for a father and an addict for a mother, Jade Taylor has been dealt a pretty shabby hand in life. Her childhood was spent in a const...