The Merman and the Princess...

By Adri-Pearl

"Sea and land may lie between us, but my heart is always there with you" ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••... More

Presenting
Chapter 1: The Deal With The Sea Witch
Chapter 2: The Boy On The Beach
Chapter 3: A secret revealed
Chapter 4: A day of lessons
Chapter 5: The general's estate
Chapter 6: Glowing shapes of the sea
Chapter 7: A knockout blow
Chapter 8: A coze with the Sea
Chapter 9: The vexatious queen
Chapter 10: The Boat and candlestick
Chapter 11: A fountain tells no lies
Chapter 12: The dashing soldier
Chapter 13: A sea of monsters
Chapter 14: Malcom's warning
Chapter 15: The Floating Lights
Chapter 16: The Court of Vipers
Chapter 17: Setting Sail
Chapter 18: The journey to Olympus
Chapter 19: The Banquet
Chapter 20: The cliffside
Chapter 21: Intricate silence
Chapter 22: Head and Heart
Chapter 23: Prince of Tides
Chapter 25: The Ball (part one)
Chapter 26: The Ball (Part Two)
Chapter 27: Glittering Jewels
Chapter 28: Politics and Problems
Chapter 29: Intoxication
Chapter 30: Utopian dreams
Chapter 31: The Truth
Chapter 32: Land and Sea
Chapter 33: The Prince's return
Chapter 34: Dawn of an age
Epilogue: One
Epilogue: Two

Chapter 24: The dreaded interruption

1K 25 219
By Adri-Pearl

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Annabeth poured over the words again, scanning the letter for any ulterior motives.

Her aunt had written to her to return by sunset tomorrow, effectively ending her time in Olympus before she got any answers.

Why does she want me back? Is it because of the shipments? she thought, clenching her fists with irritation.

Queen Minerva had also given her specific instructions related to her shipments, which King Zeus had apparently already readied.

It was happening dreadfully fast.....which raised her suspicions high into the sun.

She could not sit still, nor could she decipher what was happening.

"Ouch," she winced, accidentally crumpling the letter in her hand as Hestia brushed out her tangled string of hair.

"My apologies," the woman hummed, slowing down her onslaught on Annabeth's scalp. She tied it up in a neat bun.

Hestia bent, smoothening out the wrinkles in Annabeth's gown. The older woman had fetched it for her upon the princess's request for more comfortable clothing to wear around the Fort. Despite being at least a few centuries out of fashion, the gown let the princess of Athens breathe momentarily, allowing her to finally walk around with the ability to feel her rib cage. The dresses and finery her aunt had packed for her, were quite tight, no doubt done on purpose.

''The ball shall commence by dawn, princess. Would you like me to fetch you so that you may have the time to ready yourself?'' asked Hestia, looking over Annabeth.

''Please do, Hestia,'' she sighed, trying for a smile," do you know what the night may entail?''

The maid tapped her chin, "I believe the king and queen shall introduce you to the court, perhaps a Bolero and a hearty feast shall follow, princess,'' she replied.

"A Bolero?'' Annabeth echoed, trying to recall the steps to the popular Olympian dance. She had learned it many moons ago and even performed it with Luke during her adolescence. But does she still remember how to do it?

Annabeth suddenly found herself wishing to see her dance instructor, the very same teacher she consistently avoided a few months prior during her aunt's tyrannical etiquette lessons.

"Thank you, Hestia,'' the princess said politely, kindly dismissing the helpful maid. Hestia gave a low now before departing.

Great! Now I must add a ridiculous dance to my ever-growing list of headaches!

She was already exhausted from the mystery surrounding her visit to Olympus. She was unable to find the answers she so desperately wanted, and it irked her how she was being used as a mere chess pawn.

She was the princess of Athens! And yet her aunt and the older royal lineages seemed to think she was nothing more than a trivial trinket for them to flaunt or toss around, in their conniving schemes.

She wanted nothing more than to shut her mind off, to let her worry be forgotten.

Trying not to huff in annoyance, Annabeth made her way to the grand hall. Jupiter's fort, naturally did not host a ballroom, or very many recreational rooms. That was not its function, and Annabeth respected it.

She pushed a few pieces of furniture aside, clearing a decently large space in the room, giving her a clear arena to practice.

The princess of Athens began with some simple stretches, trying to remember her old instructor's words.

She flitted and floated across the room, dancing along to a recollection of noteworthy Olympian songs.

She paused her practice session for a few minutes, rushing to a nearby bookshelf to find a book on the art of dancing, flipping through the pages until she stumbled upon her required instructions.

After a brief reading session, she continued her personal lesson, cursing with every missed beat and misstep. At least she found some solace in the fact that she knew what to do now. And occasionally checked the book's instructions to see if her attempts were at least somewhat correct.

Annabeth had thought she was doing a horrible job at the dancing until she heard a low clap behind her.

Sea-green eyes met her stormy ones, and Percy gave her a beautiful smile as he stepped into the room.

There it was, that heavenly feeling she got in his presence. The thoughts which plagued her dimmed in comparison to his magnificent light.

'What are you doing?' he signed, tilting his head to the side as he looked at her with a mixture of confusion and curiosity.

"I'm trying to...well, remember the steps to the Bolero, I must perform it tonight," she explained.

And as he inquired what this 'Bolero' was, she dragged him towards the book and explained it in unnecessary detail.

His fingers brushed hers as they turned the page together. The princess's voice echoed through the hall as she described the process of the dance's art form.

Annabeth tried to control her smile as she watched the boy's eyebrows furrow into confusion as he stared at the illustrations of the dance form.

"How about...we dance together? I would love to have a partner," Annabeth suggested, her heart hammering at the thought of having him hold her the way she'd been dreaming.

Percy nodded, his own eyes twinkling.

"Come," Annabeth smiled, as the pair entwined their fingers. Heat shot up the princess's spine at the motion.

Percy's arm carefully wrapped around her waist, pulling her against him with more force than he had to. Not that the princess minded their proximity.

The pair stepped together. Annabeth whispered instructions and they seemed to be understanding the movements. They were aligned in their attempt.

Percy's hand spread across her waist, his finger's trailing up across her gown. He brushed the bare skin of her back with his knuckles. His eyes never left hers.

She pulled him closer to her as they continued their steps, eyes trailing on each other. Neither seemed to notice that they had lapsed into a waltz, using it as an excuse to draw the other closer to them.

"You look rather handsome today," Annabeth completed, tilting her face towards his.

Heat rolled off of him, under the dim light of the chandelier, she thought he seemed flushed.

The pair stopped moving, all pretense seemed to have dropped.

Were his eyes on her lips? Or was she just imagining it?

Percy's gentle hand held her face in reverence and Annabeth allowed herself all the emotions she had suppressed.

Her eyes fluttered shut for half a minute, cupped by the warmth of Percy's hand on her cheek before they were interrupted.

"My apologies.....again princess," Hestia gasped, lowering her head in embarrassment.

"What is it?" Annabeth tried keeping her irritation at bay, moving away from Percy in a reluctant manner.

"The ball is to begin in three hours...I thought to inform you. It takes almost an hour to travel and you aren't dressed and....." she rattled on.

"I'll be right there. Please have a bath drawn for me," Annabeth interrupted, cutting her off with a forced smile, "thank you for reminding me, Hestia"

The old maid gave the princess a quick smile, before dashing off faster than Annabeth thought was possible.

"I believe I'll have to ready myself now," Annabeth sighed, turning towards Percy, "I suppose you'll have to do the same, considering you're accompanying me to the event."

Percy nodded.

"Let us....return then," Annabeth sighed with distant eyes, leading them back their individual quarters.

She was tired of interruptions.

She wanted to be with Percy, near him. She wanted to be able to hold his hand whenever she pleased, to show him how much he meant to her without restrictions.

She did not know how much longer she could go on like this, pretending that he was not on her mind at every waking moment.

She wanted to tell Percy how she felt, desperately so. But worry and fear kept her desires a secret.

Ah! How dreadful the fates were

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This chapter takes place before the events of 'The Ball' part one and two.

I hope you liked the chapter. We're inching closer towards the end of the story.

(Posted 14/8/23- 9:34pm)

Stay tuned!!!
—S

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

81.6K 801 33
The title says it all. Just a collection of a couple of stories I thought up. Possibility of percabeth-meets. This is my first book ever. So, sorry i...
112K 2.6K 33
"I stood on the tip of my toes to catch a glimpse of his jet black hair through the ever-growing maze of people. He didn't look back as tears rolled...
70.9K 1.1K 25
(I know a lot of Percy Jackson and Avengers crossovers have been made, but what if the roles are switched. Instead of Annabeth dying, it's Percy) Ann...
216K 4.2K 20
For once in Percy Jackson's life everything is peaceful, but when tragedy strikes, he is left alone. His closest friends and family all died in a see...