Hiraeth

By Chrysanthemum-_-

[Dr. STONE X Fem!Adult Reader] You're tired of watching children suffer the consequences of actions they had... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
12
13

11

824 58 18
By Chrysanthemum-_-

As Stanley parked the car in the frontyard garage, he gingerly twisted the keys and pulled them out of the car.

It took him a minute to register that he was even here.

Honestly, it was always the same each year. He hated this time of the year. He hated this.

He hated meeting his mother, Melissa.

Just as he rested his forehead against the steering wheel, the sharp ringing of his phone managed to pull him out of his pre-meeting horrors.

"Hello?"

The other line was silent before a soft chuckle rang in his ears, "Don't you sound alive... I suppose you've already reached home?" Xeno's familiar voice had a teasing edge.

"If you already know then why'd you even bother askin'?"

"Now, that's not a very elegant response. There's something called an icebreaker question..." Stanley could already feel the annoyance piling up, "How about I break your neck first, bastard?"

"Woah, calm down, Stan. You sound like you woke up on the wrong side of the bed..." Despite his threat, Xeno didn't have an inch of fear in his voice.

"More like I woke up questionin' my will to live... Why do I have to keep meetin' her? I moved out ages ago, she should leave me alone already."

"Stan... You meet her once a year, how much more do you want to limit your interactions with your mother?" The deadpan in Xeno's voice was ever audible as the pretty male sighed, "I'd prefer to meet her once a decade."

"Wow, you really are a model son! Maybe I should nominate you for the 'Son of the Year' award. You would surely win!"

Unbeknownst to Stanley, a lone figure slowly crept closer and closer to his car until they were standing right outside his window...

"Stanley~" A chill ran down his spine as the male whipped his head over in shock.

"MOTHERFUCK-" He stopped midway from pulling out the gun he had on him at all time when he caught sight of the familiar face.

Deep breaths, Stan... Deep breaths... Don't shoot someone today.

On the other side of the phone, Xeno was cackling as he realised what might have happened, "W-Was that... Was that Riley?!" Xeno gasped between his chortles.

"I told you, if you already know then why'd you even bother askin'?!" As exasperated as he was, Stanley knew he couldn't just hide in his car.

He had to face the demon known as his mother.

So he quickly hung up on Xeno (who was still cackling, by the way) and opened the door to greet his older sister, Riley.

"Stan!! It's been so long since I've seen you!!" As he stood up to his full height, his sister brought up a hand to measure the difference in their heights, "Damn, are you still growing? Don't tell me you're still a pubescent boy?~"

A deadpan was all she got in response.

"Seriously, Stan! We're seein' each other after an entire year!! Show some enthusiasm!"

"Yeah, yay."

"You know what, nevermind."

————

"Stanley!! I knew you were here!! No wonder Riley ran out so suddenly, she really adores you!"

The sickly sweet voice of his mother rang in his ears, already causing the poor guy to hide away from her bone crushing hugs. It didn't really help that he hated being touched.

"Hey, mom... You've been well?" He mentally begged for time to go faster so he could just return to the comforts of his simple house. But his prayers were cut off when his mother dragged him and his sister to the dining room because dinner was ready.

Dinner, just like he remembered as a child, was filled with the chatters of his mother and his sister. Now, he never hated Riley, in fact, he greatly treasured her. She had practically raised the male, and never uttered a word in complaint.

But he hated how she never realised that their mother was just a leech.

A leech who was never present during their childhood, when they needed her to raise them and love them. She only began to acknowledge Riley when she helped their mother in her business and when Stanley quickly climbed the ranks in the army.

"Stanley! Why aren't you eating anything else? You need to eat more if you want to be a good soldier!"

God, just hearing her voice makes his fucking skin crawl! She's treating him like a goddamn toddler. Well, guess what, you hag?! You're a few years too late!

"Mom, Stan doesn't really have dinner at this hour, so I'm sure he's just not that hungry..." Riley came to his aid before he could snap back at their mother.

Yeah, forget being hungry. He really is feeling sick just breathing the same air as her.

"You were pretty excited to call me over this time round. Wanna tell me why you kept callin' me even during training?" The male tried so hard to soften his tone. He didn't want to use his professional tone in front of his older sister.

"Hahaha! You really do take after me in terms of intelligence!" Another annoying remark was all that he got in answer, making him grit his teeth.

'Yeah, right... If I did take after your thinking, I would have been a selfish little motherfucker who neglects his children after the death of their father and only acknowledges them when they start making money, so I can leech off of them.'

Riley could only look over at him in worry when he didn't reply. Looking back at their mother, she saw her grin growing.

"Stan, don't you think you're getting a bit older? I mean, your sister is already engaged! You should start looking for someone you like-" she stopped for a moment to giggle to herself.

"Wait... Don't tell me you're one of the shy ones? Haha, just like your father! Don't worry, I know a number of beauties! I'm sure you'll-"

"Mom... Stanley is a high-ranking soldier. If you choose someone for him, they'll just have unnecessary expectations that'll get trampled on when Stan won't be home that often. Don't you think you should let him have his way with this?" Riley was always defending him, even now. While she wasn't able to say no to her own fiance, she still jumped in to say no for Stan's sake.

"I appreciate the offer but I stand with Riley. In fact, I'd rather stick with focusin' on my job. I don't got time for this stuff." He tried to nip the evil at its bud, but his mother was more than just a bud.

"You know, Stan. You've been evading this topic for a while now. Don't tell me you're seeing someone behind my back!"

I'd rather see someone in front of you. You really think you can control me? Wow, you sure are in for a ride then...

"I'm not." His thoughts differed greatly from what he actually said.

"You sure? Cause you seemed awfully close with that clingy girl. You know, your childhood friend? If you're seeing her, I'll have to ask you to break it off, I don't approve of her. She's not the one for you-"

She was cut off by the sound of the chair screeching against the floor. When she looked up to see her son, Melissa's eyes widened upon the look he was giving her.

He looked ready to shoot her, then and there...

"Thanks for dinner. I've got some work to do so I'll see you later. Don't call me, I'll be busy." He gathered his keys and wallet before walking out the door.

He can't believe that she called him especially just to spew all this bullshit.

And here he was thinking that maybe she wanted to apologise for the emotional abuse she forced him and Riley to go through as kids.

"Stan! Wait up!" He only stopped because it was Riley that called for him. When she caught up to him, she put her hands on her knees, trying to catch her breath.

"Jesus Christ! Why do you walk so fast?! You got a jet engine stuck to your legs or something?!" He looked over her wheezing form before looking away, "Why'd you call for me?"

She stood back to her full height, before showing him the two beer bottles that she was carrying, "Wanna share a drink before ya' leave?"

And so, he sat here.

Sipping from his bottle, the malted taste making him cringe slightly before he finally leaned back against the wooden surface of the bench. While he was still in Melissa's house, he was grateful that she left the two of them alone.

"So..." Riley was the first to start, making him turn his head over to her, "I'm guessing that it's been a while since [Name] contacted ya'?"

Stanley blinked, before bringing the bottle to his lips and closing his eyes. After he took a sip, he murmured softly, "I don't exactly blame her. Xeno and I... we kinda fucked up."

"You did, huh? Was it her sister's funeral?" All she got in response was a nod.

"Right. How've you been dealing with it? I mean... I know you were pretty attached to her."

"I've been good. I asked her neighbors, they told me she moved to Japan, and she's doin' well so at least I'm not worried 'bout that." A soft smile made way to his lips as he turned to look at Riley.

"How's that shitty fiance of yours? What was his name again-Jacob? Jonathan? Something with a J..."

"Jason, and yeah. He's doing well." Riley corrected him and he nodded in realisation, "Right, Jason... I hate that guy."

"I can tell. But mom wants me to marry him."

"God, you're such a goody two shoes, it's fucking annoying."

Riley couldn't help the laugh that bubbled in her throat, "That so? Well, damn... I'm sorry, your Highness."

"Don't laugh. I'm telling you, he's a piece of shit. You need to stop being such a people pleaser and get out of this relationship."

Soon, her laughter died down and she solemnly stared at her bottle of beer, "I mean... As long as I marry him, you'll be able to be free for much longer, Stan."

"Don't say you're doin' this for me... I won't have her ordering me 'round. Legally, she can't even do that."

She couldn't help but sigh. But regardless, both of them quietened down until she finally spoke up.

"Ya know, we're stuck in this situation cause you and I, both... We're nothin' but a buncha' cowards." Riley's harsh words made her brother turn to her in surprise, "What? Don't look at me like deep down, you don't agree."

"I turned out this way cause I'm too much of a coward to say no to mom... and you turned out this way cause you were too much of a coward to admit to [Name] that you liked her."

Yeah... Maybe she was right.

Maybe Stanley was a coward.

And he may regret things now, but at least if you ever find someone... he'll be happy for you. Not that he'd know if you did, cause you weren't even in contact with him.

"Maybe." He took another sip of his beer.

God, he could really go for a smoke right now.

"Thanks for the beer. I should be going, I really don't like this conversation." Riley smiled mockingly at his words, "See, Stan? You're so scared of confrontation. You were scared back then and you're still scared."

Leaning back, Riley let a chuckle escape her lips, "Well, looks like we both got problems. I'm a fucking doormat and you're a damn coward. Dad must be so disappointed, looking down at us."

"Well, being a disappointment isn't something new for us, Riley." He began to walk away, "See you later, sis. I've had enough shit for one night."

As he sat in his car, he didn't start the engine just yet. He just sat there, cigarette in his mouth as he rested his chin on top of the steering wheel.

————

"What's up with you?" A teenage Stanley asked you, a small smile playing on his lips as he gazed upon you.

"Had a bad day. Why? Is it evident?" He nodded and patted his shoulder for you to lean against. You quickly took up his offer and leaned your head against his shoulder, leaning most of your weight against his body.

"Wanna talk about it?"

"Nah, don't wanna recall the entire fiasco and dampen my mood." You did in fact, have a pretty bad day. Filled with your mother's shiity treatment, being late for classes and getting detention because of it, and being yelled at by a customer at your job.

It was utterly taxing.

"Here." He offered you his still lit cigarette and you looked at him as if he had grown another head, "Stanley, get that shit away from my face, I'm not gonna start smoking a cigarette cause I had a bad day."

He only smirked in response, "Try it, it sucks in the beginning but trust me, it helps."

"Wow, aren't you just the model citizen we all strive to be! Tricking your friend into smoking, peak good guy behavior, I tell you." He just chuckled at your sarcasm before turning his head to completely.

"No, seriously. Give it a go. You might not like it at first but it'll calm your nerves." With hesitant hands, you gingerly took the cigarette and brought it to your lips. The moment you took a swing, your entire lungs were protesting thanks to the asphyxiation.

The smoke was suffocating and you almost slapped Stanley, if only you weren't busy coughing your lungs out. Not to mention, that shit eating grin on his face just made it worse.

"Stan-" You coughed, "You... Y-You crazy bastard!" You coughed some more and he just chuckled while patting your head like a dog.

"Don't worry, you'll get used to it! Then you and I can share a pack, it'll be fun!"

"You fucking... psycho! That's it, I'm telling Xeno!"

You did, in fact, tell Xeno. And he did, indeed, scold Stanley. But at the same time, you did get your mind off of your worries and the next time you joined Stanley, it was way better.

In a short while, both you and Stan had become smoking buddies and Xeno had almost killed Stanley for getting you addicted to the cancer sticks as well...

————

Recalling old memories was never a thing Stanley liked to do, especially since he was the type of guy to think more about the present and future, rather than about the past.

But there were just some memories that were too special for him to just let go.

Especially when you, of all people... had become one of his memories.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

219K 8.9K 35
"๐™‹๐™๐™š๐™ง๐™ค๐™ข๐™ค๐™ฃ๐™š๐™จ ๐™ข๐™ž๐™ญ๐™š๐™™ ๐™ฌ๐™ž๐™ฉ๐™ ๐™– ๐™๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™ฉ ๐™ค๐™› ๐™–๐™™๐™™๐™ž๐™˜๐™ฉ๐™ž๐™ค๐™ฃ" โ•ฐโ”ˆโžค๐Ÿฉทใƒ‰ใ‚ฏใ‚ฟใƒผใ‚นใƒˆใƒผใƒณ Dr Stone x Reader "๐˜–๐˜ฏ๐˜ญ๐˜บ ๐˜ข ๐˜จ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ๐˜ช๐˜ถ๐˜ด ๐˜ค๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ๐˜ญ๐˜ฅ...
125K 2.7K 44
Characters Ishigami Senku Asagiri Gen Saionji Ukyo Shishio Tsukasa Chrome Hyoga Ryuusui Kinro Ginro Request are closed
65.3K 1.7K 29
senku this, senku that, what abt other characters? ๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿคจ /j my grammar is all over the place but i try... ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ถ๐Ÿ˜” cussing is in almost every chapter so...
highway By BoB

Fanfiction

13.6K 707 15
"You just yelled at a kid for accidentally walking in front of you!" A story in which time can change a mind. "It was a social experiment...?" bakugo...