Bodies

By thewannabegrunge

Milan Cozart lived in the low-end of Chicago. A part of the city that was unbeknownst to tourists, yet never... More

un.
deux.
trois.
quatre.
cinq.
six.
sept.
huit.
neuf.
dix.
onze.
douze.
treize.
quatorze.
quinze.
seize.
dix-sept
dix-huit.
dix-neuf.
vingt.
vingt-et-un.
vingt-deux.
vingt-trois.
vingt quatre.
vingt cinq.
vingt-six.
vingt-sept.
vingt-huit
vingt-neuf
trente
trente-et-un
trente-deux
trente-trois
trente-quarte
trente-cinq
trente-six
trente-sept
trente-huit
quarante
quarante-et-un
quarante-deux
quarante-trois
quarante-quatre
quarante-cinq.
epilogue
bonus chapter 01

trente-neuf

5.2K 384 50
By thewannabegrunge

The three women didn't have much time for conversation.

It seemed as soon as they'd gotten in, the rest of the police officers who were pooled outside also began to come into the building.

Before it got too overwhelming, Nicoletta peeked her head out of the courtroom and laid eyes on the group. She at once parted the sea of blue uniforms and ushered everyone inside the room. Closing the police officers out in the hallway where they were gathering.

Inside the courtroom it was currently empty.

It was a room just like you'd see on the court shows that ran during the day. Milan was familiar with them because her grandparents were fond of them when she was growing up. There was an expansive walkway between large rows of pews. Almost like a church set up, although there were no altars.

The room's head was taken up by a huge wooden desk that rose from the floor like a partition. Milan knew that was where the judge would sit. Then nestled in its side, like a side carriage on a motorcycle, was the witness stand.

Everything was much bigger and more intimidating in person than it was on TV.

Only Judge Mathis himself could soften this room up.

Milan thought to herself as she looked around the room, her eyes then stumbling upon 3 men sitting on the first row behind a table.

It was only Ramses and his accompanying officers next to him. "So, we have about thirty minutes before the trial begins. You all will sit over here—" Nicoletta gestured to the other side of the room. Milan went to follow Yvonne and Valerie, but Nicoletta grabs her arm.

"Since you are taking the stand, Milan. You will sit right behind us, and when you speak, it will be obvious, so don't worry about missing your cue. The judge may even call you up herself so just be alert throughout the trial." She explained rather chastely, but Milan was not offended as she followed her directions and sat directly behind Ramses.

Oh, how she wished to just wrap her arms around him instead. 

She wished the day was over already.

"Judge Diana Cortez is a sharp woman." Nicoletta continued as she stood at the front of the room, right in front of where this judge will sit when she enters. 

Walking over in front of the table in front of Ramses, Nicoletta began to prep some manila files she'd brought. She continued to speak loudly about the judge as she prepped. Everyone, even Ramses's security team, remained silent. 

"She is a good one, though. Diana's fair. So, we do not have to worry too much about implicit bias or assumption just because of your skin color."

You could almost hear Miss Yvonne's sigh of relief. 

Although, Nicoletta was pretending like she was talking only talking to Ramses it was very clear she was trying to brief Milan and maybe even give Ramses's mother some peace of mind. Milan was grateful. 

"However, she is hard on gang violence. She is a very big supporter of gun control and despises drug dealers. Diana is a second generation immigrant from Mexico. Her brother was murdered by the cartel. "Nicoletta continued on and that piece of news did spook her audience.

Well, Milan and Yvonne.

Nicki didn't let them stew for long because she continued to talk. This time she stopped messing with the setup of the papers and pens on the table. This time it really did feel like she was talking only to Ramses.

"You have a hard case, Mr. Young. But I am happy to assure you, the odds are not already stacked against you. Diana will judge you for you and will see to the best of her ability all sides of the case. When your sentence is declared, I want you to rest assured we have done everything to the best of our abilities." 

Milan couldn't see Ramses's face and at this time she wished to could. She wanted to know how he felt about all of this. 

She could only gage by Nicoletta's reactions instead, so you can imagine Milan's confusion when Nicoletta took a deep breath and smiled. Digging in her purse on the table as well, Nicki produced two alcohol pads.

"And, I remembered!" She sing songed before going over to Ramses. She gave them to him, and they both laughed. Coming around to Milan's row, she scooched in close before whispering. "If this trial goes to shit, my last hoorah is to have him sniff the pads with a tissue and just start crying. Everybody feels bad when a man cries."

The idea made Milan immediately snort. She slapped a hand over her mouth even though it was seconds too late.

Nicoletta grinned.

Please God, no. I can't catch the ick mid-trial.

Milan thought as the vision of Ramses crying like a child passed through her mind's eye. She shuddered softly.

There was a silent beat before suddenly an alarm started ringing from Nicoletta's phone. She immediately silenced it and looked at Milan before grasping Ramses's shoulder. "It's time, guys."

Next the doors of the courtroom opened and everyone that was in the hallway began to file in. Plain clothed citizens first, they filed in to the juror's box that was on Ramses's side but directly to the back of the room.

Then a man in an expensive black suit came in. He held a briefcase just like Nicki's save for the gold lettering. He sat at the plaintiff's table. With him was another, beefier man. He also had a briefcase, but it was smaller, and his light gray suit was not as tailored. He took a seat next to sharper looking lawyer.

They looked to Nicki and gave her a gentlemanly nod. Nicoletta smiled a smile that looked more like she was gritting her teeth. 

Milan guessed that they were the men that would be representing the State of Illinois. 

Or for lack of better words, the opps. 

The room was brimming with energy. There was a light chatter going on as people were getting settled into their seats. Milan took this time to rest her hands on Ramses's shoulders. She had to touch him, even if it was just for a moment.

This could be the last time they touch each other for a very long time. 

As soon as her hands touched his shoulders, it was like he knew exactly who it was. His body relaxed immediately. It seemed like the goal was almost to melt into her. "I know you can't look at me right now but know I'm right behind you." Milan spoke to him in a hushed tone. 

She had to remember there were two officers beside him. And they were in a court room with everyone watching him.

"I believe in you, and no matter what happens... I love you." Milan finished, she had to stop right there, or she was at risk to burst into tears. She watched as Ramses drew in a big breath, his shoulders shaking the smallest bit as he exhaled. She knew he was just as emotional as her when it all came down to it.

"I love you more, Milan." 

Ramses returned the sentiment. Milan's eyes fluttered closed as the words washed over. Tears burned her eyes. She knew she had to stop touching him before she threw a fit and sealed his chances of never seeing daylight again. 

Milan withdrew her hands from his shoulders like he was burning her. She spread her fingers out on the fabric covering her thighs. She was just barely keeping it together.

"Please rise! The Court of the First District Appellate Court, Criminal Division, is now in session with the Honorable Judge Diana Cortez presiding." A man's voice orders at the front of the room.

In seconds, Milan went from on the verge of weeping to standing up as straight as a soldier.
The room went completely quiet as the door near the judge's desk opened and outstepped the infamous Diana Cortez. 

She was a short woman, the color of a perfectly browned creme brûlée. Her long black robe lightly dusted the ground as she walked up the short steps to the ominous judge's desk. There was a slight click when she walked so Milan knew she was wearing heels.

Twins.

Judge Cortez seated herself quickly, grabbing her gavel and righting it. Diana wore very stylish cherry red glasses that sat high on her prominent nose. The color of her lips matched her glasses. Her hair was a cut at her shoulders, bone straight, and caramel highlights throughout.

Diana was bad. 

She had to be only about mid-thirties to early forties. 

She smiled at the people in the room. "Everyone may be seated, but the jury. Officer Worth, please swear in the jury."

As a collective, the audience except for the jury was seated. Milan's head was spinning from how fast everything was taking place. She made eye contact with Judge Cortez, the woman probably felt the nerves coming off of Milan it waves. She gave her a small personable smile before tuning back into their surroundings.

The jury was sworn in and was seated just as the audience was. Once everyone had sat down and was comfortable once again, Judge Cortez banged her gavel down once. It brought everyone to attention, and she was now void of that friendly nature that glowed from her when she first entered. 

"Members of the jury, your duty today will be to determine whether the defendant is guilty or not guilty based only on facts and evidence provided in this case." As Judge Cortez spoke, her words pierced the air. Her tone only adding to the thick tension that was in the room. Milan was on the edge of her seat.

Glancing at Nicoletta, she was glad one of them had a switch that could hold them together. Nicoletta was a statue as the judge rattled off.

"The prosecution must prove that a crime was committed, and that the defendant is the person who committed the crime.

However, if you are not satisfied of the defendant's guilt to that extent, then reasonable doubt exists, and the defendant must be found not guilty. Officer Worth, what is today's case?" Judge Cortez asked the same man who swore in the jury.

He was an officer just like the ones who'd surrounded the building earlier. Officer Worth was standing at the left of the room on the judge's right side. He was a well-built man with blonde hair that was buzzed pretty short. He looked like he could keep order in the court. 

"Your Honor, today's case is The State of Illinois versus Ramses Damien Young." Office Worth stated finitely.

Nodding, Judge Cortez looked over at Ramses, more pointedly Nicoletta. 

"Is the defense ready?" She asked the group, expectantly.

"Yes, your honor." Nicoletta stood and responded. Judge Cortez smiled, Nicoletta returned it. Then she turned her attention to the two suit wearing men from earlier on the plaintiff side. 

"Is the prosecution ready?" Judge Cortez repeated for their side. 

"Yes, your honor." The black suit answered for the two. 

Then the black suit opened his briefcase on the table in front of him and took out two folders. The judge held out her hand expectantly for one and once the black suit gave it to Office Worth, it was passed to Judge Cortez.

Only then, did the man turn around to face the audience in the court. 

"Your honor, members of the jury, my name is William Mestle. My co-council and I are representing the state of Illinois in this case. In this case, we aim to prove that Ramses Damien "Pharaoh" Young is guilty of the first degree murder of Chrisanto Chavez."

Milan winced when William called out the name "Pharoah".

Just the mention of the alias seemed like a condemnation.

"Ramses is guilty because he was seen shooting Mr. Chavez at point blank range. They were rival thugs that were crossed against each other." William spoke plainly on the matter. He was very confident with his wording and his sleek light brown hair only added to his suaveness.

"Ramses Young went to the shop Chrisanto Chavez owned knowing he would be there and shot him. That's what he came there for. We believe this is an open and shut case, folks." The prosecution's strategy was to make the case as black and white as possible as well as throw the Ramses's gang affiliation around.

A strategy that was definitely air tight if the defense didn't find some way to take the immediate bias off of Ramses.

"This is a story our city streets have told many times, the kill or be killed world of gang violence that Mr. Young just so happens to be the "Pharoah" of. Please find Ramses Young guilty of first-degree murder this day. Thank you."

Glancing over at Miss Yvonne, Ramses's mom, Milan could bet she'd paled at least two shades lighter. She noticed Valerie was holding her hand for comfort. 

Next, Nicoletta got up from her seat next to Milan and approached the floor. Standing with the same confidence William did. She looked stunning and powerful. She looked like a force to be reckoned with. William's gaze hardened when he looked at Nicoletta, and that was good. 

"Good afternoon, everyone. Your honor, Judge Cortez. My name is Nicoletta Yolkovich. I am representing the defendant, Mr. Ramses Young today." Nicoletta said to the court with the utmost charisma. She had a way of surveying the audience like she was looking every person in the eye.

The people were listening to her for sure. She was giving Mr. William a run for his money because she was just as pretty, if not prettier than him.

"We intend to prove that Mr. Young is not guilty of first degree murder, but second degree because he did not enter Mr.Chrisanto Chavez's business with intent to kill him. He is not a stone cold killer, but a hot blooded man who felt he had no choice but to protect the ones he loves." The pregnant pause Nicoletta put here allowed people to look around and many stopped at her. They were connecting the dots alright.

However, the way some men were looking at her Milan prayed they were connecting them the right way.

"He is a young man that has been raised in bleakest parts on the south side of Chicago," Nicoletta continued on, "but has maintained minimal criminal arrests. He is not a part of the "kill or be killed" nature the prosecution speaks of. He is a contributing member of our society.

Please find Ramses Young not guilty of first degree murder this day."

When she was finished speaking, Nicoletta went to sit directly by Ramses on the bench in front of Milan. Judge Cortez was writing feverishly on her desk for a second before she looked up again. There was a mic on her desk, and she slowly bent it forward towards her. 

"Prosecution, you may call your first witness and, or address the court." Judge Cortez offered.

William stood up from his bench again. "Your honor, I would like to show the video footage from the beauty parlor the day of Chrisanto's murder to the jury."

Judge Cortez nodded and cued the already waiting Officer Worth to flip a switch that allowed a projector screen to come down from the ceiling. From there, a file marked with the date the murder occurred was put up on the screen.

"For any squeamish audience members, please do not be alarmed. The video is strategically cut right before Mr. Young shoots and kills Mr. Chavez." William makes sure to note. Milan hears some sighs of relief. 

Then, the prosecution presses play. The shooting occurred in broad daylight. At first you can see Chrisanto pacing, waiting in the beauty salon. A couple of men sporting gold bandanas in assorted ways come into the shop.

These are his foot soldiers, just by the coloring of the cloth Milan immediately knew. She wanted to scream and point this fact out, but she knew that was forbidden. She hated that William's whole goal was to avenge Chrisanto. Not after everything he'd done to her. 

Turning her attention back to the screen, you can see about thirty minutes pass. William steadily speeds up the footage until he pauses suddenly. Here you can see Ramses walk up on the establishment and walk towards the door. 

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is when Mr. Young enters the building and begins to confront the late Mr. Chavez." William narrates the obvious before pressing play again. 

Ramses opens the door of the salon and Chrisanto's goons approach him at once. You can see Ramses shoving them back, breaking through to get right to Chrisanto. You can see Chrisanto smiling at Ramses, his mouth is moving, and Milan just knows whatever was coming out what nothing but the devil.

She was reminded of all the nasty things he was saying to her with that same devilish look on his face. 

Whatever he says gets Ramses upset visibly. The men then begin to yell at each other. Chrisanto doing lude gesturing with his hands for a moment. Some of the women in the audience gasp. William cringes.

Then surprisingly, the video showed Chrisanto's men apprehending Ramses seemingly at his call since the video is silent. Ramses backs up still arguing with Chrisanto and Chrisanto seems to be yelling things at the top of his lungs. 

And that's when you see Ramses grab the gun off the waist of one of the men assailing him and point it directly at Chrisanto. The video stops right there. 

"Let me explain what you just saw," William begins next.

Milan was floored. Seeing the footage and the murder play out in front of her for some reason made her happy. It was nothing how she thought it happened, and that was so good in Ramses's case.

She had imagined him running into the shop guns blazing or worse, he did a drive by of the shop and shot Chrisanto that way. But no. He didn't.

And the way it occurred, it gave him a chance for doubt. 

He didn't even shoot Chrisanto with his own gun, and Milan knew for a fact he had one on him.

Her heart was light for the first time. 

"What you saw was Ramses entering the shop, where he knew he wasn't welcome, and starting an argument with Mr. Chavez. Mr. Chavez has his shop security apprehend him, and what occurs? Ramses takes this opportunity to steal a firearm and kill Chrisanto. At point blank range. One must ask the question, was that the reason he came to the shop after all?

My argument today is yes. Ramses Young is a well-known gang member. Minimal criminal record be dashed... I would say most of us in this room have minimal criminal records, am I right, ma'am?" William took this time to walk towards where the jury was sitting. Singling out an older South Asian woman with his question who ate his playfulness right up.

She nodded her head yes right along with him. 

"Exactly. However, most of us are not known as the man who rules all. None of us are known as kingpins on the street, or believe me I wouldn't be standing before you today—"

"Objection, speculation." Nicoletta cuts in with her own mic at the table with Ramses. 

Murmurs immediately begin to surface.

The audience watches William grimace quickly before wiping it off. He returns with his huge golden boy smile, turning to the judge.

"Your honor, I am simply helping the audience understand the differences between our standing in society and the defendant's." William explains politely, Judge Cortez's face doesn't emote.

"Go on." She tells him.

"The video shown to you today should be the only evidence the jury needs to see that Ramses Young came into that salon with the intention to harm someone. Remember the anger at which he stormed in, so much so Chrisanto had to get help! 

And he was right to, because when given the chance Ramses Young took it to kill him in broad daylight. I hope you find this evidence enough to convict him. Thank you." William concludes his first piece of evidence, and the room is silent again.

"The defense is now welcome to rebut the evidence presented." Judge Cortez opens the floor to Nicoletta. 

Getting up like she had the power to scorch the earth, Nicoletta boldly grabbed the remote used to pause and play the video on the projector. She rewinded about two minutes, right where the Chrisanto ordered the men to apprehend Ramses it seemed.

"Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I would like to point out to you the distance between Chrisanto and Ramses at all times. From the moment he enters the building, I can attest that we all should see Ramses staying in this exact same spot. It is as least 6 feet away from Chrisanto."

To prove her point, Nicoletta made sure to rewind the video farther. This showed Ramses entering the building again as well as fast forwarding all the way up to where she'd paused before. 

"It is only when Chrisanto's employees begin to approach does Mr. Young move. And he doesn't move farther to Chrisanto. He backs away. Nicoletta went on to say, showing the exact part that she's talking about.

This allows the jury to once again take in the way Chrisanto sicked his men on Ramses and how that immediately escalated the situation. Nicoletta then pauses again right before Ramses grabs the gun of one of his assailants. She walks up to the screen and points at Ramses's positioning.

"By the time my client reaches for the firearm, the men of Chrisanto have almost cornered him. It is four against one clear as day. It is not a hard argument to make when I say my client feared for his life at this moment. He was desperate to get out of a situation Chrisanto had imposed on him and escalated to new heights.

Mr. Young is just like the rest of us in this room. Minimal criminal record. Human. Put in a situation where his life was in imminent danger. My client is guilty of reacting, your Honor." Nicoletta brings her argument home by throwing a look towards Judge Cortez.

Keeping the dramatic going perfectly, although the Judge was unmoving, she held the gaze for a beat before taking a deep breath and turning back towards the jury.

"Thank you for your understanding." Nicoletta solemnly ended.

Milan had to give it to her. The girl was good.

The court was dead silent once again. Everything that took place in this room would be weighty it seemed. 

Attention returned to Judge Cortez, she looked like she was gaging the room's mood just as Milan was. However, when she and the Judge locked eyes again, she had none of the warmth she'd had before.

The look was fleeting because the next second she turned to Nicoletta.

"The Defense may now call their witness to the stand."

Milan's eyes squeezed shut.

She did not have to have them open to know the heavy gaze of the room had now landed on her.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.2M 123K 10
[preview] "The Stripper and the Mob Boss" ❦ A sickness of Anastasia's sister leads her towards a huge debt. When her friend comes to her with a solut...
VICENZO By Walnut

Short Story

1.4M 38.2K 74
Raised in the Mafia, I have known no other life other than cold calculated violence and discipline. A life where brutality is praised and weakness is...
55.5K 1K 29
After Nicole's father died she stopped feeling. She stopped having emotions. Eventually she began to bring the emotions back and felt again. She took...
32.4K 2.1K 33
A debt has been incurred. And they've come to collect. Vanessa Cruz is a young black woman, simply trying to survive in a world set up to conspire a...