Close Protection

By midzy84

Time to follow the trials and tribulations of Sgt Lisa Manoban. JenLisa AU Crossover story. there'll be char... More

Blood and Dust
Med-Evac.
Home and Homeless
Rehabilitation into Society
Kim Soo-Hyun
First Day Nerves
Meeting the Kim Family
The Anger of Jennie Kim
London Calling
The Eye of the Hurricane
A Morning Truce?
Trapped in a Moment
Long Time Alive, Long Time Dead
Fifteen Minutes of Fame
Green-Eyed Monster
Blue Elephant
In the Silence of the Pool
Haircuts and Helicopters
Sharp Words, Shotguns and Seductresses
It's My Party And I'll Cry If I Want To.
Beating Retreat
Running Scared?
Twin Dragons
Shooting, Shacking and Shopping
Family Meals and Flashbacks (1)
Family Meals and Flashbacks (2)
The Talk
The Mourning After
Priorities in Life
Memory Tapes
Hypnosis and Happy Memories
Start!
If I Never See You Again
Complicated
Death of Me
Dead Mans Drop
Personal and Professional
We'll Be Fine
Perfect
Memories of Mealtimes Past
Moments of Revelation, Moments of Realization, Moments of Change.
No Regrets and No Surprises
Deals over Dinner
Weebles Wobble
The L Word
Winners and Losers
Game Over
Friday, I'm In Love
Goodbye Sunshine, Hello Rain
Beginnings and Endings
Mommy Chitthip Speaks
Ghost from the Past
A Cup of Tea and a Slice of... Guilt.
Night Time Terrors and Daytime Pleasures
Dinner, Dancing and Drugs
There's A First Time for Everything
Best Laid Plans
Pressure, Promotions and Phone Calls
The Bearer of Bad News
Funeral Rites
Chocolate, Chats and Changes
Helicopters, Hell Week and Holidays
Cabin Fever
Unexpected Guests, Unexpected Trips
Up Shit Creek!
Post Traumatic Stress Fracture
The Hardest Decision of My Life
Clusterfuck
Obligation And Honour
Stuck Between A Rock And A Hard Place
The Cruelties of Fate
Nightmares Into Reality
The Calm Before The Storm?
'Ballbreaker'
Indian Summer
Video Nasty
Trials, (and Tribulations).
In The End Everyone Dies
Reaping the Whirlwind
Epilogue (Part 1)
Epilogue (Part 2)
Epilogue (Part 3)

Countdown Begins

168 5 0
By midzy84

Z-Hour – 3 Days

I sat there staring at the tiny screen as I had those few days ago in the boardroom at Close Protection; the image of Jennie's screaming face burnt into my brain, a need to commit violence against someone or something burning through my veins.

"Easy there blondie," Soohyun said quietly his hand gripping my forearm tightly. "Nothing you can do right now but stay with me; don't go punching things again and doing yourself an injury, you don't want to risk the mission by being stupid."

"Take your hand off me boss," I said casually, trying to push down the boiling rage that was close to consuming me.

"Not a chance Snowy," he whispered, "not until you get a grip on yourself. Think about Jennie; think about Minah over there, we need to be strong for the both of them."

I closed my eyes for a second, trying to compose myself; taking deep breaths and reaching out for that safe place that Joanna had taught me to find, enveloping myself in my imaginary pool. It was pretty much a fruitless task, every time I tried to dive into that imaginary pool, envelop myself in its calming embrace; I was thwarted by the face of my girl. Not the slightly drunken, slightly smiling face that had preceded our kiss in that summer house, not the face that sucked me into that glowing happy place that Joanna had helped me find, the one where I felt completely loved. No, it was the beaten, sobbing face that intruded on my memories, the one that made my heart shatter into a million pieces.

Giving up on my 'safe place' as a bad idea, I opened my eyes to see that Mel had closed the video, the CP logo on the desktop replacing the sight of the severed head. I felt a hand drop onto my shoulder and turned to see Minah's stricken face.

We didn't say anything, we didn't have to; I could see the pain and relief in her eyes. Her hand squeezed my shoulder tightly and she pulled me into a tight hug, my shoulder dampening under the steady stream of tears.

"You shouldn't have seen that Minah," I murmured softly, awkwardly patting her on the back, "you really shouldn't."

"I wish I hadn't now," she sniffed, "but I had to; I had to see it all with my own eyes....oh Lisa how can they do such a thing? How on earth can they believe that murdering someone like that will help their cause?"

"The world's full of fuckers like them," I said, remembering something Bambam had said to me once before, "there's always someone to blow smoke up their assholes and tell them how wonderful they are."

"Lisa's right Mrs K," Soohyun said from the other side of me. "You've got to remember that these guys live in an isolated environment of extremism; it wouldn't matter to them if every single person in the outside world rose up as one and told them they were wrong. As long as their little crowd of friends sit back and applaud them, the bastards feel justified in what they do."

"But that sounds like every single political and religious group in the world Soohyun," she replied letting go of me and wiping away her tears. "But not all of them murder innocent people with a sword because they disagree with what they do for a living, or how they think, or what they believe."

There wasn't a reply to that, not from me anyway; I'd faced various levels of bigotry and hatred in my time, mostly from the people that supported the bastards with the sword. It was one thing to be jeered at or sneered at by kids at school, called a freak, and a weirdo and a queer, it was quite another to be spat at or stoned by people you don't know just because of the uniform you wore; especially when you thought you were there to help, it was something I don't think I'd ever understand.

"None of this makes any sense," Andy suddenly said from the far side of the room causing everyone to look up at him. "Sorry," he apologised when he realised we were all staring at him, "thinking out loud."

He looked down at the floor, clearly embarrassed at his unintentional comment, but he had piqued my curiosity and I wasn't alone.

"How do you mean Andrew?" Minah asked, still sniffing away her tears, "what doesn't make sense? They said they would kill a hostage if I didn't pay them their money and get the prisoners released, and that's exactly what they've done."

"It's the timing," he replied shaking his head. "There's something about the timing that's bugging me."

"Go on," Soohyun said encouragingly, "have we missed something?"

"I don't know Sir," Andy replied his brow wrinkling in thought; "there's just something about that video that doesn't make sense to me. I mean, we were talking about the deadline earlier, but it's barely three am UK time."

"Yes, but it's well after their deadline here," Jenna said pointing at the clock; "it's after seven in the morning."

"Even so, it's a long way from here to where we think they are," Andy said causing us all to sit up at his words. "Surely there's no way they could have got Brian's body here in that time, not unless they've got access to a plane or a helicopter or something."

"Jesus, he's right; it really doesn't fit." Mel suddenly said, starting the video again and, to my relief, pausing it at the first frame; the wide shot of the room. "And there's something else as well, look at those windows James spotted earlier. I've just realised, that's sunlight coming through them."

"So what?" Soohyun said shaking his head, "I don't get you Mel."

"I do," I replied with a sudden sense of realisation, "the timing is wrong, Andy you're dead right...this isn't a good sign boss, this isn't a good sign at all."

"Would someone mind explaining this please," Minah said, sitting forward on the edge of the sofa and staring at me. "Why is some sunlight in a window not a good sign?"

"Because it means they didn't stick to their timetable Mrs K," Soohyun answered as the penny, presumably, dropped. With a frown of his own he got up from the sofa and began to pace around the suite again. "I think Andy and Lisa are right here, the timing is all wrong...even if they went by local time for the deadline there's no way they killed Brian at midnight when the deadline elapsed; not if the sun was shining in through those windows; he must have been killed earlier, and there's no telling how early."

"The light might just be external lights Mr Kim," Chris suggested shyly. "We don't know that it is sunlight."

"The light doesn't fit that Chris," Mel said quickly, "it looks natural, and I think we'll find that the light levels go up and down...probably as clouds pass the sun. I think they've made another mistake here."

"How is it a mistake?" Minah asked shaking her head, "Lisa please, I don't understand."

"They had no intention of honouring their deadline," I told her sadly, "if we're right, well, this film was made at the very latest sometime yesterday afternoon. When was the body dumped Mel?"

"About three o'clock this morning according to our source," Chris answered, "our time that is."

"Then Andy's right, there's no way they could have filmed that, and got the body here in that time if they had stuck to their deadline; the bastards are just fucking with us."

"What does that mean for Jennie?" Jenna asked, her voice wavering.

"It doesn't mean anything Mrs K," Soohyun said quickly, trying to reassure her. "We have no idea what this means, but the fact that they killed Brian first means that they must recognise her importance."

"Poor Brian," Minah continued, "does anyone know if he had a family? I don't know anything about him."

"I think he was divorced Minah," I said, racking my brains for anything about him. "I don't remember hearing anything about kids though."

I felt a little bit guilty not knowing anything about the latest victim of this stupid fucking vendetta. Brian wasn't someone that had popped up on my radar when I'd been at Kim Industries, though I suspected that Jennie or Rosie would be able to tell us all about him if they were here. To me he was anonymous, just another body that would be chalked up against my name; another person to haunt my dreams, if I ever managed to get to sleep again that was.

As we sat in silent communion over the death we had just observed, the grim humanity of the situation coming into sharp focus by Minah's question, I had a sudden thought.

"Boss?" I said, waiting for him to stop pacing and look across at me. "I think we're going to have to move sooner rather than later. Just because they say they're giving us five days to meet their demands doesn't mean they mean it. Judging by this there's no telling when they might hurt Jennie."

Soohyun nodded, and I knew he was thinking the same thing as I was; there was no guarantee that Jennie was even alive still. For all we knew she was already dead, her beheading already on film and waiting for delivery.

It wasn't something I wanted to think about, let alone say; Minah didn't need that added to her list of troubles, she looked like she was carrying enough.

"I think you're right Snowy," he replied, "I think it's time we got prepared. How fast can we be ready Mel?" Soohyun asked, turning to face her.

"If you leave for the testing area today? I don't know Soohyun...three days, perhaps four."

"Let's make it three, we'll aim to be at the safe house you've set up day after tomorrow, then we go in as planned. Can you make that happen?"

"We can try," Mel said looking across at Chris who just nodded, "it might cost us to bribe a few people to look the other way, that sort of thing."

"Money is not an object Melanie," Jenna said getting to her feet and straightening the robe she'd pulled over her silk pyjamas. "Do whatever you need to do, I'll pay anything to get my daughter back, even the thirty million dollars they're asking if I have to. Now, if you'll excuse me I need to talk to my family. I'd rather they heard this news from me rather than from the press, and I think we'll need to make a statement as well."

"You heard the lady," Soohyun said to his Ops chief as Minah walked back into her room. "We've got no time to waste, sorry about the lack of sleep folks, but we can sleep on the journey. Mel, start working on getting what we need to the safe house. Chris, the rest of the team are arriving tomorrow, I'll need you to pick them up and sent them straight up there; and I want you two to pull that tape apart for anything you can find...absolutely anything.

Snowy, you Andy, Simon and I will leave for the testing area as soon as we can get a flight so lets get what we need packed up and ready; time to go to work people. Zero hour is three days from now and time is tight; you all with me?"

"Yes Sir," I said, nodding appreciatively at the way he had taken charge; around me I heard the others agreeing in their own ways. It was good to know that finally we were preparing for the mission ahead, and I allowed myself to feel a moment of exhilaration before sinking back into the dark place that had consumed me, practically since Baghdad.

"Ok kids let's get going; Lisa, do me a favour and check on Minah would you? I think she's going to need someone right now and you're the closest thing to family she's got."

"I'll do my best Panda," I said as they all prepared to leave. "What time do you want us to be ready?"

"I want you to be ready as soon as possible Snowy," he said clapping his hand on my shoulder, "but I don't think Minah should be coming with us do you?"

"She's going to have to come up to the hotel at the testing area boss," I said shaking my head. "She's the only reason we have for going up there ourselves, and I know she'll want to be up there for when we bring Jennie home."

"Well see if you can get her to stick to the plan then kid, and keep your spirits up too ok? Don't need you doing anything stupid."

"I'll keep an eye on her Soohyun, and I'll stick to your plan like I promised." Minah's voice interrupted us from the doorway to her bedroom. "We have a few meetings to go to and I have to try and arrange a few things, but I'll make sure they're all done this morning. Now run along dear, Lisa and I have packing to do if we're all going to head up to the demonstration site at Srinagar today; and I'm sure you have a lot to organise yourself."

"That I do ma'am," Soohyun said with a half salute in her direction and a knowing wink in mine at her words. "I'll see you both later. Lisa keep that phone of yours handy, and if you find the time to take a nap..."

"I'll have it on my pillow, yes boss...now do as Mrs Kim asks and piss off."

o+o+o

The suite was silent after everyone left, Minah and I sat on separate sofas lost in our thoughts; the images I'd seen burnt into my brain as deeply as the sight of my mother the morning I'd woken up to find her gone; as deeply as the sight of Bambam's body lying in the dust of a Afghan street, the blood seeping into the dirt and sand. Jennie's face as she'd stared into the camera was just one more painful image that I'd have to try to live with.

Though this time at least I had the opportunity to redeem myself; in my own eyes if not in Jennie's. This time I had the chance to go and get her back.

"Would you like a drink dear?" Minah suddenly said dragging me from my gloomy thoughts, "I think I need another strong coffee before we get started."

"I'll do it Minah," I said getting up and stretching, "I'm sure I saw a kettle in that dresser over there."

"Don't be silly dear," she said patting the chair next to her, "we'll order from room service again; I think we both need to talk about what we've just seen, I know I do anyway."

I nodded grimly as she picked up the rooms phone for the third time that morning and ordered our drinks. Mouthing what I was going to do, and getting a nod from my host I took the opportunity to head for my bathroom and freshen up; the mere act of taking a quick shower and brushing my teeth making me feel slightly more human. When I walked back into the suite, robe wrapped tightly around me and rubbing a towel through my wet hair, I found it deserted, Minah nowhere to be seen.

There was, however, a hastily scribbled note on the coffee table and the sound of running water from Minah's room, her note telling me that my idea was so good she'd followed my example and headed for the shower herself. She's also told me that room service was on its way and that I should listen out for a knock at the door.

With an amused smile at her words, I sat down on the sofa and carried on drying my hair while I waited. It wasn't long before the knock at the door came and I'd just ushered the employee from the room when Minah appeared in a matching outfit to mine.

"Well aren't we the very height of fashion?" she said with a faint smile tugging at the lapels of her gleaming white hotel robe as she sat down.

"First time anyone's said that about me," I said as I sat down next to her again and pulling the tray towards us. "Usual?"

"Can I have an extra spoonful of sugar please Lisa? I think I need it after this morning's shocks. Actually," she added thoughtfully, "I think I'd like something much stronger to put into it, but this will have to do for now."

I nodded as I poured her a drink, adding the two large spoonful's of sugar and stirring before adding the milk and passing it over to her.

"Mmmmm, that hits the spot," she said happily as she took a long sip while I made my own drink.

"Sure does," I said sitting back, leaning against the sofa arm so I could look at her. "So, how are you feeling Minah? That wasn't a pretty thing to have to see."

"I don't think it's sunk in dear, it's like it wasn't real, though I know it was. I'm not sure how I should feel either; relieved, upset, I just don't know."

There was a distinct break in Minah Kim's voice as she spoke, her impressive emotional barrier sounding close to breaking.

"I'm sorry dear," she said taking a deep breath before diving into her cup again, "this must seem so stupid to someone like you."

"Why's that? I asked gently, trying not to poke at the open wound.

"Well with the things you've seen, the things that you've told me and Jennie about; and all the things you haven't. It must seem so silly."

"It doesn't seem silly at all Minah," I said, shifting my way along the sofa to get closer to her. "We all go through this in some way or another. That was as unpleasant for me as anyone else."

"Really?" she asked her face looking pained.

"Really," I replied reaching out to awkwardly pat her knee. "I felt terrible as we watched that video because I wanted Brian to die; well...I didn't want anyone to die," I corrected myself quickly. "...but if one of them was to die I didn't want it to be Jennie. That's not a nice thing to want; and when they killed him, I felt really guilty for thinking that."

"That's how I felt dear, exactly how I feel right now. I'm so relieved that Jennie's still alive, but I'm feeling terrible about poor Brian, for wanting him to die."

"You shouldn't," I said shaking my head to emphasise the point, "what we're feeling is perfectly normal Minah, so the head-shrinkers used to tell us when we lost someone. I'm sure Jennie and Joanna would tell you the same thing if they could. It's natural to feel confused like that, trust me I know."

"Jennie's not going to be the same person when she gets home is she Lisa?" Minah said suddenly with tears running down her cheeks. "Not after going through something like that, not after seeing someone killed in front of her."

I shook my head, even though part of me was sure my Jennie was the sort of person that would have taken Brian's place if the chips had fallen her way; deep down I suspected that human nature would have taken over when they'd been dragged to their knees, when they knew their fate was sealed. I was sure that she'd have been thinking the same thing I would have been in her shoes, 'him not me, him not me; kill him, not fucking me!'

"It'll be tough for her," I replied eventually, realising that Minah was waiting for me to respond, "but she's strong Minah. She's really, really strong; and when we get her back she'll have people around her that care...that's going to make a huge difference."

"That's true," she replied squeezing my arm, "she really will. The family will look after her, and she's got some very good friends now with Soohyun and Yeaji...you'll be there with us too, won't you Lisa?"

That last question was asked almost shyly, as if double checking that I hadn't changed my mind since I'd sent them both the messages I had back in Blighty.

"If she still want's me around," I said, finally voicing the fears that had dogged me since I sent the message that Jennie never received. "If I haven't fucked things up completely by being an arsehole for the last few weeks."

"She never thought that you know Lisa dear," Minah replied, reaching out and grabbing my hand tightly. "She did understand, in fact the only person she thought was an arsehole was her, after she turned up at Soohyun' making demands."

"Even so," I said shaking my head as she squeezed my knuckles, "I was a twat to her, and she didn't deserve that...I just couldn't help myself."

"I know dear and Jennie knew that too; and what's more I know she still loves you, she'll want you around when we get her home. In fact, I suspect she'll need you more than any of us."

"Why's that?" I asked, watching as she smiled at my furrowed brow.

"Because you'll be better than anyone at understanding what she's going through right now won't you?"

I shook my head to signal my lack of understanding, causing Minah to smile at me sadly.

"You've been there haven't you dear? Or at least, you've had to deal with coming home after something awful like this."

I nodded, sipping at my coffee and avoiding her look. I knew about doing that, I knew about doing that all too well.

o+o+o

August 2004 – Cheltenham England

"So that's what's been going on Mum," I said as I ran my fingers across the carved name on the headstone. "I managed to survive my first tour in Iraq and did so well I've been given a transfer to another unit with a decent chance for promotion; it means I've pretty much got to go straight out to Afghanistan, but I'm sure I'll be good."

I smiled as I rambled on into thin air, telling my mum all about the things I'd done during my time in Basra, the patrols, the losses, the friends I'd made. It was stupid, and I didn't believe in any of it, but I'd been going to see her every chance I'd got since basic training. It made me feel good to 'talk' to her, despite how stupid it no doubt looked.

"So I've got a couple of weeks off on leave now mum, don't know what the hell I'm going to do with myself though. Bambam's off visiting his family and I'm sort of stuck on my own."

It wasn't strictly true that, I did have some sort of a plan. As soon as my leave started I'd left the base in my battered old Vauxhall Astra and driven straight to my old home town; but my ultimate destination was a bit further south. I'd wanted to try and connect with my past when I'd returned so I'd booked a short stay in a static caravan park in Weston-Super-Mare; nothing but me, my Open University books and a couple of bottles of Jack. It wasn't much, but it was a place that mum and I had been too when I was younger and after the mayhem of Iraq I needed somewhere where I could wind down; somewhere I could get myself together ready for my next tour, somewhere familiar where I could feel safe.

Fuck knows I needed it after spending eight months living on my nerves.

"Anyway mum, I'd better get going if I'm going to make it before the park closes and I have to bivvy out on the beach, I've had enough of sleeping in sand for a while, it gets everywhere if you know what I mean. I'll come and see you again before I ship out though, I promise, make sure everything's ok."

I got to my feet and dusted myself down, placing my hand on the top of the granite stone that I was still paying for. "I'll see you soon mum," I said sadly, "love you, miss you."

I walked away pretty quickly, after saying my goodbyes, blinking back the tears that threatened to come. I'd promised myself a few short months ago that I wouldn't cry in public anymore but coming home and visiting mum hadn't made keeping that promise easy.

After a couple of hours of swearing at the heap of shit that I laughingly called a car, all the time wishing I'd spent the extra and bought the Ford with the air conditioning instead, I arrived at the park and booked in; being shown to the caravan and handed the keys by the surly faced owner. The British summer was in full force when I'd finished unpacking my belongings, a strong wind blowing in from the coast bringing a steady drizzle of rain with it.

With a sigh I grabbed my coat my stomach grumbling, loudly protesting the fact that I hadn't eaten since breakfast back on base, and headed out through the rain towards the holiday park's bar, only to find it shrouded in darkness, the door firmly locked.

I wasn't happy; I had been looking forward to a hot meal and a couple of pints before retiring to my caravan and working my way through my whiskey. Now I was going to have to find somewhere else to eat. Slamming the door of my piece of shit car I drove off the site, thankful that I hadn't started drinking already, and followed the signs towards town.

Ten minutes later I was completely and hopelessly lost; the signs confusing to say the least, the ones I could see that was. For the last few months I'd been driving familiar roads, guided by satellites in the sky. After that, the roads of Weston-Super-Mare were a fucking labyrinth and I was tired, hungry and now had a desperate need of something to eat and ideally a pint of something seriously alcoholic. To my relief though the blazing lights of a huge supermarket came into sight, and I gave up on the hunt for easy food and decided to stock up my cupboards for the week.

My problems started at the entrance, the trolleys locked with the infernal devices that needed a pound coin to open them. Thwarted already I had to walk around to the lights of the cash machines and then head into the store to find someone that could give me change.

One hurdle sorted I pushed my trolley, the broken wheels juddering along annoyingly, through the barriers and into the shop itself. Considering it was nearing seven o'clock the store was extremely busy, bustling with the noises of people chatting, children crying and music from several different places. It was the sound of chaos, but not the sort of chaos I was used to. I'd spent the last eight months living in a war zone and the sudden change in surroundings was, to say the least, a shock to the system.

As I pushed my trolley past a display of wonderfully smelling bread I was startled by the blaring of the stores tannoy system, the stentorian voice calling the staff to the checkouts. I was feeling more than a little bit shell shocked by the now unfamiliar noises but I needed to get sorted, needed to get a firm grip of myself.

With a fierce pounding in my head I began to work my way around the store, looking through the aisles for things to buy. Thirty minutes later I was standing in front of a huge shelf of cereals, my trolley still empty, blinking back tears for the second time that day as I stared at the endless selection completely confused; my mind having gone completely blank.

"Are you all right there Miss?" a strange voice asked, and I turned to see one of the shop security staff staring at me.

"I guess so, I was just deciding on what I wanted to buy, why?" I asked, blinking and shaking my head trying to bring my brain out of its fugue.

"Because you've been staring blankly at those boxes of Corn Flakes for about ten minutes Miss," he said with a frown, "people were concerned about you."

"Ten minutes?"

"About that yes," he replied with a smile, "are you sure everything is ok?"

"I dunno," I replied shrugging and walking away, "I really don't."

I wandered the store in a bit of a daze after that, my mind continually running laps around my head. I picked up things almost at random, putting them into the basket haphazardly as I chose them. The security guard was still keeping an eye on me; I could see him out of the corner of my eye, his efforts to be discrete wasted on someone that had spent every day for the last eight months looking for anything out of the ordinary.

Out of the ordinary...

That was the final hurdle to coming home, my own Bechers Brook, the giant fence that seemed desperate to cause me to fall. Nothing around me right now was ordinary any more, not to me anyway. I'd lived inside the protective cocoon that was the Army for so long I was totally out of my depth in the 'real' world, left to fend for myself all on my own. For the last few years all my meals were provided for me on base, or out of field rations. My waking and sleeping times coordinated by our schedules, or interrupted by hostile action.

The truth of the matter was I hadn't been to a supermarket for more than booze or party snacks since I'd joined up, and never on my own; Bambam normally having my back whenever we went off base. I didn't really know what I wanted, or what I needed; this was my first time shopping in years, and it was completely freaking me out; there was too much choice, too much noise, and far too many people.

The chaplain had talked to us all before we shipped out, told us that it would be strange when we got home; that it would take a little bit of time for us to adapt to being back with our families. Bambam and I had shrugged it off with a laugh and a knowing look to each other; him because he was like that, me because I didn't have any family at all.

For a second I thought about calling him, making sure he was ok, wondering if I could use that familiar voice to hold onto my sanity. Eventually though I decided that what I needed to do was leave; head back to the caravan and safety.

I finished up my shop by just grabbing a load of familiar looking tinned rations and heading for the quietest checkout at the far end of the store left, hoping against hope that I'd be able to navigate my way back to the campsite without incident.

In the end I didn't get further than the car park before nearly breaking down completely, fighting back the tears harder than ever before. As I tried to control my breathing I found that my normally rock steady hands were shaking uncontrollably. It was a scary feeling, not to have complete control of my body, and it was several minutes before I managed to get hold of myself; and several minutes more before I could bring myself to start the car and drive away.

I was feeling worse by being at home than I ever had being under fire, at least there I had friends; at least there I was surrounded by people that understood.

o+o+o

"Are you ok there Lisa," Minah asked as we sat in the car we were being driven around the bustling streets of New Delhi in.

"Yeah," I said nodding, "just a bit annoyed and anxious to get away from here. I need to feel like I'm doing something useful you know?"

I wasn't kidding and judging by the strength of her squeeze on my hand I wasn't the only one. Today had started out badly with that video, and it hadn't got any better.

When the news of Brian's murder hit the news Minah had been inundated by telephone calls from friends, press, and government officials alike; and she'd spend all her time as we flitted from meeting to meeting with her phone glued to her ear. Jisoo had been busy back at home as well; Minah's early morning wake up call spurring her into action. I'd already seen footage of her on the internet, talking to reporters outside her London flat; but this footage was different from the previous ones because stood next to Jisoo was Hoshi; looking smart in a suit, his arm wrapped protectively around her shoulders.

The statement they'd given to the waiting media had been carefully prepared; the obligatory, and genuine, sorrow for Brian's loss and of course their concern for Jennie's continued well being. Accompanying this was an assurance to the kidnappers that the extra money was being raised, and a plaintive request for them to deal in good faith this time.

"You said that you believed we were not acting with honour," she said, her face flickering as the camera flashes exploded around her. "I can assure you that we did everything in our power to meet the midnight deadline you set; please I beg you, do the same, act with honour and allow us the time you set once more."

A tear rolled down her cheek as she said those final words, a sorrowful tear that hid the anger I knew she was actually feeling; frankly the girl was in the wrong business, Jisoo Kim-Jung had either been taking acting lessons from Yeaji, or she was a natural. It had been Minah's suggestion that Jisoo really play up the distraught brother and sister look for the cameras, the intention being to put more pressure on the people in charge back at home.

It might seem cynical, emphasising their pain like that, but it was a tool that we had to use. The public loved a grieving family, and a grieving family member pleading for their sister's life was guaranteed front page news, and guaranteed public sympathy.

I doubted it would have any effect on the scumbags that had hunted down Jennie, caring not for anyone that came between them and their fucked up plans and ideals. But what I did recognise was a good diversionary tactic, an opportunity to lull them into a false sense of security; let them think that they had won.

I approved of that, it was easy to let them believe that they had the upper hand now; their time was coming.

"Only annoyed," Minah said squeezing my hand again, "I'm bloody furious I don't mind telling you, thank heavens that there are people supporting us now; if we left it up to our officials here nothing would be getting done."

Minah was right, despite the people that were, after some political pressure, now trying to help us, there had been an awful lot that were just getting in our way; including an officious little prick that had incurred her wrath when we were trying to arrange the repatriation of the people that were killed in the ambush.

I don't think he enjoyed the exchange, I know Minah hadn't.

"Is it too much to ask for people to make this kind of thing easier for us?" she'd complained as we'd walked away from the building, "all I want to do is the right thing by those brave people."

"Bureaucrats," I'd answered sadly, "he's probably terrified that the people above him will criticise him for helping us after the last couple of days."

"This has nothing to do with getting Jennie back though Lisa," she'd protested, "this is about doing the right thing for those that we lost."

I couldn't disagree with her; it was frustrating to have barriers constantly placed in front of us. I was a simple squaddie, I had a mission plan in front of me and I wanted to get moving; fucking around like this wasn't helping.

"Lisa?"

"Yes?" I answered, turning back to Minah from where I'd been watching the road around us.

"You went away from me again there dear," she said smiling, "are you sure you're ok?"

"Sorry Minah," I replied apologetically, "I do that sometimes. I'm fine, honest."

"Is that your thing dear?" she said, and then smiled and I shook my head emphatically. "It'll be our little secret dear," she said knowingly, "I promise I won't tell Jennie."

"Tell her if you like," I snorted, "she already knows I spend a lot of time in my head; my mum told her...well, sort of."

"On those tapes she left you?" she asked with a raised eyebrow, "Jennie told me about them, but not what was on them."

"Yeah," I replied, secretly happy that Jennie hadn't told Minah everything about that. Sharing my mum's tapes with her had been something I considered private, and it warmed my heart to think that Jennie had felt the same way.

"I think you're bluffing," she said with a knowing tap on her nose, "I think I've discovered this 'thing' of yours Lisa, I'll be watching out for it now."

I shrugged noncommittally and went back to looking out of the windows for possible trouble. It was easy to let her think that, after all I did do it an awful lot; but it wasn't really my nervous 'thing', Only one person that I knew of had sussed out a sure fire way of telling when I was nervous about something, and he wouldn't be telling anyone my secrets.

Lunch time came and went without a mention as we packed up at the hotel and headed for the airport. The Indian Army had laid a plane on for us to take us up North to the testing area and I couldn't help but smile a little at Minah's face as we were dropped off next to a huge Russian transport plane, its rear ramp lowered as pallet loads of boxes were being loaded into its cavernous belly.

"It'll be just like old times Snowy," Soohyun called out over the noise of the airfield, startling me slightly. If it wasn't for the accent I could have sworn it was Bambam that had spoken to me.

"You ok there Sarge," Minah said looking at me strangely, "you look like you've seen a ghost."

"More like heard one," I muttered cryptically, not realising that she had heard me. Quickly I hitched my kit bag over my shoulder and looked around, "Where's our contact do you think?"

Minah looked at me shrewdly as I changed the subject, but to my relief didn't say anything about my comment, eyeing the transport plane suspiciously.

"They can't seriously expect us to get on that thing can they?" she said finally; provoking laughter from all around her. "What?" she demanded finally looking frustrated at us all.

"That's luxury transport for some of us Mrs K," Soohyun said winking at me, "I've spent a lot of time in the back of planes like that, looking forward to the trip actually."

Minah scowled at him, her eyes narrowing dangerously, if I was honest I felt like doing the same. I'd spent time in the back of transport planes like that as well, and I wasn't looking forward to it, my last ride hardly being an enjoyable trip. In the end though it wasn't to be, our contact finally arrived and ushered us across into a small, boxy, twin-engined prop-plane.

I was lost in my thoughts once more as the engines fired up, drowning out all opportunity for conversation, despite the headsets we'd been given by the uniformed crew member that had made sure we were strapped in prior to take off. I'd deliberately sat near the back of the plane away from everyone else, trying to avoid contact with the others during a flight I knew I wasn't going to enjoy.

o+o+o

A couple of hours of bone juddering misery later we were warned that we were on approach to the tiny airfield at Srinagar, my stomach lurching as we began our descent. Staring at the team in front of me I could see them mentally preparing themselves, this was the beginning of the mission for us, and I could sense the building tension in the air, a tension that had nothing to do with the creaking of the airframe around us as the plane drifted towards the ground.

Ten minutes later I was breathing again, the wheels thumping into the tarmac with a distinct lack of grace. Still, they said any landing you could walk away from was a good one; and, as the engines whined to a halt, walk away from it I did. Stepping through the hatch into a cool, fresh afternoon; it was a pleasant change to the heat and pollution of the capital and, despite the slight heat haze that the runways were emitting, I felt comfortable in my own skin for the first time that week.

"Ready kid?" Soohyun said slapping me on the back as I stood and waited for Minah to get into the vehicles that had arrived to transport us to our hotel.

"You know it boss," I replied nodding away, "no turning back now."

"Not a fucking chance kid, no turning back until we've got your girl."

"Thanks Panda," I said with a wink, "that makes me feel a hell of a lot better about things."

"Whatever," he replied with a little hint of embarrassment in his voice, "now get in that car Snowy, everything's going to be fine. Three days from now and we'll be prising Jennie off you with a crowbar, and you'll be loving every minute of playing the heroic rescuer."

"Yeah, whatever," I said shoving him towards the open door getting a grin and a wink from Simon and Andy as I did so. I gestured at the pair of them to get in with a scowl before slamming the door and getting into the front of the vehicle.

Three days to go, well a bit less than that actually. Three short days and we'd have Jennie home safe and sound.

If only I could persuade my gut that it was going to be that easy.
.
.
.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

452K 6.9K 81
A text story set place in the golden trio era! You are the it girl of Slytherin, the glue holding your deranged friend group together, the girl no...
1.3M 53.3K 55
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...
55.4K 1.7K 10
seven was the number on the back of his jersey, and it was also the number of the deadly sins.