The crow and the beast - Kaz...

By wolfis2000

this is a kaz brekker x own character story This story is about a girl named Cara, she has a power that is al... More

prologue.
chapter 1 - the beast of ketterdam
chapter 2 - hiding in plain sight
Chapter 3 - answers revealed
chapter 4 - the warehouse
chapter 5 - bonding over trauma
chapter 6 - do you trust me
Chapter 7 - the merchant and the wolf
chapter 8 - a moment of intimacy
chapter 9 - making it official
chapter 10 - the pits
chapter 11 - healing
chapter 12 - a sunny day
chapter 13 - the next step
chapter 14 - a new job
chapter 15 - the fortress
Chapter 16 - a day off
chapter 17 home sweet home
chapter 18 - Betrayal
chapter 19 - building confidence
chapter 20 - the things he lost
Chapter 21 - save him
chapter 22 - everyday life
chapter 23 - when 2 stubborn people bump heads
chapter 24 - the ambush
chapter 25 - doctor brekker
chapter 26 - teasing
chapter 27 - gathering information
chapter 28 - not so bad after all
chapter 29 - on our way
chapter 30 - plans in motion
chapter 31 - letting go
chapter 32 - home
chapter 33 - broken promises
chapter 34 - forgiveness
chapter 35 - fighting illnes
chapter 36 - happy birthday
chapter 37 - understanding each other
chapter 38 - waffles and gardening
chapter 40 - fight ... for me
chapter 41 - He was her anchor
chapter 42 - life taking shape
chapter 43 - an emotional day
chapter 44 - back to ketterdam
chapter 45 - An emotional scar
chapter 46 - a new waffle house in town
chapter 47 - the deal is the deal
chapter 48 - return of the herd
chapter 49 - secrets can hurt
chapter 50 - suprising alliances
chapter 51 - how to manage a gang
chapter 52 - the return of the bastard
chapter 53 - will you?
chapter 54 - life goes on
chapter 55 - my family
bonus chapter: a look into the future

chapter 39 - something she did not know

550 11 0
By wolfis2000

It was a rainy day morning when Cara woke up. She could hear the rain ticking against he roof of the house. She turned around in bed and found the space next to her empty. Releasing a slight sign she pulled off the covers and put on a warm outfit.

once she got downstairs she already knew kaz had left for the day, she could hear no movement in the house at all. There was a piece of paper on the kitchen counter that read 'went to crow club – back before dinner' she smiled, kaz must still have been tired because she could barely read his handwriting.

She took a waffle out of the box and while munching on it she stood in front of the window. She saw the first dregs arriving to start building the stable, kaz had probably ordered them to build it no matter the weather, poor guys.

She made coffee for all of them, there were around 15 of them she counted so she made sure there was enough. She brought it to them and they all thanked her for her generosity. Cara put on the fire in the fireplace realizing she probably wanted to do something about the supply of wood soon.

She went outside and grabbed the axe that was leaning against the house and went into the forest. She picked out a few small young trees and after an hour or so they were all on the ground. She tied a rope around them and dragged them back to the clearing, thank god for her powers she thought.

once they were at the clearing she started swinging her axe at them to make blocks from them. against he back of the house was a designated storage for wood so she put the wood there to try. It took her until the afternoon to get all of this done but when she put her axe back against he house the whole storage was filled with wood, probably lasting them at least half a year.

She went back inside and took a quick shower as the rain outside made her cold to the bone. Once she got out of the shower she put on a comfortable outfit and prepared everything for dinner so that when kaz would come home she would need to do little work for dinner.

She decided to wait in the library for kaz. when she looked at the clock again it was passed dinner time, she heard her stomach grumble but decided to wait for kaz anyway. Another hour passed and she became quite irritated. Normally she wouldn't care but she was hungry so that did not help with her emotions.

she walked over to the kitchen and took another waffle out of the box to eat. She looked outside and saw that the dregs had done some really good work on the stable, the foundations were almost finished she saw. She also saw that a little away from where the stable would be there was another foundation made, that must be the place for the guest house she thought.

she looked over at the papers that were still on the table from yesterday, the blueprints for the stable. It looked beautiful Cara thought, big stables for at least 20 horses. Kaz had told her that if she would feel up to it he would like some horses trained for the dregs, that way they could maybe establish some trading with nearby towns.

another hour passed and Cara was done with waiting, she hated just sitting around and doing nothing. So she put on a coat and locked the door behind her when she went outside. It had been a while since she was able to run on all fours so she shifted to her wolf form to run to ketterdam. Once she entered ketterdam she shifted to her smaller wolf to blend in with the crows on the street.

it only took her around 15 minutes to reach the crow club. The bouncer smiled at her when she entered knowing exactly who she was. When she was inside she went to the back to shift to human form out of sight. When she walked out from the back she spotted jesper at one of the tables so she walked over to him.

"good evening jesper." He immediately stood up with a smile on his face. "hey there Cara!" he hugged her quickly. "what brings you to the crow club tonight? Joining me at the table?" Cara shook her head. "no I was looking for kaz actually." Jesper looked confused for a moment.

"but kaz left for home hours ago, wylan in currently in charge of the crow club." Cara frowned. "wel he never arrived home." Jesper immediately looked on his guard. "nothing stops that man from coming home to you, something must have happened. We have to find him. I will go tell wylan the situation." Cara nodded as jesper rushed off to the office.

Jesper returned within minutes. "lets go, how will we find him?" Cara looked at jesper. "you are forgetting something." Jesper tilted his head. Cara walked into the back and came back as her small wolf. She motioned jesper outside.

she sniffed the air and then put her nose to the ground, she knew the way kaz smelled out of her head. He smelled of leather and alcohol with a hint of pine and nature. She followed her nose and soon broke out in a sprint, jesper running after her.

His scent followed the normal road until it stopped, she smelled blood for a moment. The smell being so overwhelming that she lost the scent she was following for a moment. She sniffed around and found the scent again in a nearby alley. Following it down the alley and through a few more streets until she saw an abandoned house in the distance.

that was where he was, Cara was sure he was taken but she wasn't sure by who. Until she saw a man outside looking around suspiciously. She spotted the dime lion tattoo in his neck. She hid herself in a nearby alley and shifted back to human so she could talk with jesper.

"he is being held in there by dime lions." Jesper took a quick look around the corner. "so what is the plan Cara?" he asked. Cara looked at him confused for a moment until she realized kaz always made the plans and he wasn't with them right now ...

"I have repaired my armor a while ago, I can rush them and save him. the house is not that big." Jesper shook his head. "u can't go in there alone, I will go with you." Cara was quick to respond. "no I need you out here, I suspect it's a trap and they will send reinforcements as soon as I get him. take out as many as you can but if there are too many I want you to run alright, I know what your guns sound like I will know if there is an ambush." Jesper seemed to still be against the plan but he nodded his head.

"they will regret this, if kaz doesn't want to kill pekka after this I will." Cara shifted into her monstrous form licking her bared teeth. She towered over jesper. "I am still so glad you are on our side." Jesper said with a smile. Cara looked at the man and knocked his hat from his head before she braced herself for what she was about to do.
Without any warning she jumped from the alley to the man guarding the door, and flung him against a nearby house. She door to the house was locked but could not hold Cara out for long as she charged the door and broke it in pieces.

once inside there were a few men shooting at her but she swiftly took care of them. she sniffed the air and found kaz's scent again, going upstairs. The time for stealth was long over by now so she rushed up the stairs, the house was fairly small and she had problems maneuvering herself in the small spaces but that did not stop her from reaching her destination.

Once she got upstairs a few more men were shooting at her, some of the bullets barely missing her ears, some of them scratching her arms. She buried her teeth in the man closest to her and threw him into the others. then she jumped over them and threw the last guy out of a nearby window onto the street.

She sniffed again and quickly found the room she was looking for, crashing through it she was met with a bright light shining directly at her catching her off guard. She squinted her eyes trying to see, a person jumped in front of her and threw something at her. it was a sort of dust or something but it stung her nose and burned her eyes.

She roared out of pain and brought her hands to her eyes trying to get whatever it was out of her eyes. Her vision was blurry but she could see, this wasn't over. She tried to find the person that had thrown the powder at her but she couldn't see him anywhere he must have fled. She saw kaz unconscious on a chair in the corner of the room.

his hands were tied behind the chair, his coat ripped and she could see his cane on the ground nearby. She made her way over to him in seconds, cutting the ropes with her claws. "kaz" she spoke but he wasn't waking up. she could see his chest rising and falling and she didn't smell a lot of blood from him so she assumed he was alright. Her vision was still to blurry to properly see.

She picked up his cane placing it in her mouth as she picked kaz up holding him in her arms. She looked around and found the best exit to be the large window at the back of the room. She broke it with her shoulder, it led to the rooftop of the neighboring house. She quickly made her way onto the roof and from there she jumped down on the street.

Jesper ran towards her. "no reinforcements." He stated. Cara dropped the cane on top of the still unconscious kaz in her arms. "reach nina, tell her to come to our house. Tell crows what happened." Was all she spoke before taking off running. She did not care who saw her.

running on 2 legs was not very fast but she had enough stamina to keep on running until she was at the clearing. Her eyes burned, it felt like they were on fire. she stumbled to the porch cursing silently as the key was in her pocket, meaning she would have to shift back to human form to open the door.

but she needed water quickly to wash out her eyes. So she placed kaz on the porch as gently as possible earning her a small groan as he seemed to wake up. she ran towards the small stream behind their house and basically jumped into it.

she put her whole head underwater, running her hands up and down her face and snout to get the last of the power off. After a few moments the burning stopped and she got out of the stream soaking wet. She looked over to the porch and saw that kaz was getting up slowly. She rushed over to him, shifting to her human form while doing so. "its alright now kaz, I got you." Kaz just looked at her, fear clear in his eyes. He knew something she did not. She brushed passed him unlocking the door and stepping in, ready to get kaz whatever he needed. She could see his face was swollen.

She rushed to the back of the hallway and into the work room. Kaz seemed to have snapped out of his daze following close behind. "cara!" he yelled at her, it wasn't an angry yell more like a scared yell which made Cara stop in her tracks and look at him.

When she stopped what she was doing the burning sensation from earlier returned, however this time it returned throughout her whole body, it started as a slight tingle but got worse quickly. "this is important Cara, did you get hit by the powder." Cara tilted her head in confusion, how did he know about the powder? What was it? "how do you know? I got it in my eyes mostly but I washed it out."

Kaz looked genuinely scared, she had never seen such a scared expression on his face. The burning was getting worse and worse, she felt like she was on fire. it hurt. "kaz something is ... wrong" she stumbled towards him almost falling, he caught her just before she hit the floor. "stay with me okay, stay with me!"

the pain had become unbearable, she was burning from the inside. She looked at kaz as their eyes met. "stay with me, I will fix this." Cara saw how scared he was, she wanted to say something to him, anything. But she couldn't, her body was no longer obeying her commands. He knew something about this she didn't and she ... desperately ... wanted .. to know.

Her eyes closed, she did not hear footsteps rushing into the house, she also did not hear kaz screaming at nina to do something or at inej to get peter. 

AN: woops i released this chapter a little early

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

132K 4K 39
Nesta Marooz had many secrets. None which she was willing to share. But secrets have a way of worming their way out of staying secrets. Kaz Brekker a...
123K 3.8K 51
When a grieving teenage girl suddenly obtains the ability to shapeshift into her destined animal, she and her school of shifters struggle to discover...
81.2K 2.6K 26
Kaz Brekker always had a reason So what was his when he employed another girl from the Menagerie? Was it her sharp mind? Her skills? Her stubbornness...
297 8 7
Theodora Yargos was forced into Ketterdam as a young girl. A pigeon to be feathered. She escapes the man who made her life a living hell and finds so...