New Year's Wish (On hold)

De Restlesswolf

What would you ask for if you could make a wish for the coming year? It so happens to be that shy 17-year-ol... Mais

Prologue
Chapter 1: The Wish
Chapter 3: Partying with a handsome Brit
Chapter 4: Colliding Worlds
Chapter 5: Hypotheses and Conclusions
Chapter 6: Melodramatic Friends
Chapter 7: Waking Up
Chapter 8: Hero?
Chapter 9: Starbucks
Chapter 10: The Collector
Chapter 11: Eyes Wide Open
Chapter 12: Rejection
Chapter 13: If Only for Tonight
Chapter 14: A Perfect Disaster
Chapter 15: Busted

Chapter 2: Dressing up for a pleasant surprise

572 24 5
De Restlesswolf

Chapter 2: Dressing up for a pleasant surprise

After competing at many other booths (where Emily, unfortunately, won quite often), participating in some lottery and buying some candy floss, we decided to go home.

We walked to the subway station, passing many brick-buildings on our way. Once there we took the Q-train into Manhattan, before switching and taking another one to the area we lived in.

We had both moved here for over a year ago, living just a few blocks from each other. Our parents had run an advertizing company together back in Brooklyn. After a few years they had had a major breakthrough, resulting in that both Emily and I moved to Upper East Side and that our parents now had offices in Midtown together.

Since Emily and my parents were business partners, we had become friends at a quite young age. I knew, however, that we would have found each other in our old school anyway. Our friendship was one that could never be replaced, and that would always be there.

Emily got out of the train a few stations before mine, calling that she would see me soon. She was just going to eat and then get her outfit and make-up for tonight, before coming over to me to get ready.

Entering the apartment building we lived in, I went up a few floors and made my way to our door.

I unlocked the door and let myself in, calling, "I'm home!"

Taking off my warm winter jacket, I threw it on the hanger, giving myself a mental high-five when it landed and hung perfectly. I had always wanted an old-fashioned hat like Charlie Chaplin's so that I could throw it too, but for the moment my knitted hat would have to do.

Throwing it, it hit the hanger before falling down. Grumbling to myself, I went over and picked it up, hanging it securely.

Kovu pranced up to me, seeming to snort at my clumsiness. I quickly scooped him up, receiving a protesting wail from him at my "rough" handling. He was such a baby sometimes.

Let me explain. Kovu was my five-year-old cat. Yes, he was named after a character from The Lion King, but that just made it cool. He was normal-sized with beautiful brown and black-striped fur. He reminded a bit of an African wild-cat, and judging by his self-righteous attitude, he knew it. Despite that though I loved my cat. He was always a good friend, and I doubted any cat could beat his swag.

“How was your day?” my mom asked once I had taken off my shoes and come to the kitchen with Kovu still in my arms. She was cooking roasted duck, my favorite meal.

“Great! Brooklyn hasn't changed one bit!” I joked.

“It's only been one year,” my mom commented, raising an eyebrow at me with an amused smile.

“A lot can happen in a year,” I retorted, raising my chin. “The economy can crash, a species can become extinct, robots can take over the world, we can all be abducted by aliens...”

“Whoa, whoa! Let's not get too ahead of ourselves!” my dad interrupted me, coming into the kitchen with a wry grin. He sat himself at the table, picking up a newspaper.

“It's possible!” I protested. “Never say never!”

Kovu, who had previously been purring under my patting, decided that he was bored by the conversation. Twisting out of my grip, he landed on his feet gracefully before strutting away.

“What are you girls planning for tonight?” my mom asked, changing the subject.

“I don't know!” I exclaimed, my previous frustration resurfacing. “All I know is that we are going to dress up and go somewhere, before watching the ball drop.”

“Just make sure that you go home directly after that,” she ordered in her stern voice. I was quite free to come and go as I pleased, but everyone had some restrictions.

“Sure,” I agreed.

“And don't worry about the surprise activity. You'll love it,” my dad informed me, not taking his eyes off the article.

I stomped over to him, and pushed the newspaper down with my hand. “You know?”

“Actually, it's kind of us and Emily's parents that arranged it,” my mother said sheepishly from behind me.

I scowled at both of them. Apparently everyone knew except me!

Fuming, I went into my bedroom to choose my outfit for tonight's activity, whatever “it” might be.

After eating the delicious duck for dinner, Emily came over. We had both eaten a bit earlier than usual so that we would have more time to prepare ourselves. It was around five now, and Emily was helping me decide tonight's dress.

Currently there lay five possible dresses on the bed. Emily quickly disqualified two of them, muttering “too boring” and “too school-girl”. Then she proceeded to look at the three remaining ones.

“What's this?” she asked, taking out one which was buried under the other two. I had been half-hoping and half-dreading that she would find it.

She took it out, and gasped in admiration and excitement.

“It's perfect, Zo!” she decided, holding it up in the air.

It was a stunning tight strapless dress, which reached to about the middle of the thighs. It wounded around the body in layers, and was of a shimmery dark metallic color. It sparkled in the light, and seemed to promise good times and excitement.

 I had once found it in the shop, and held it up, admiring it. I was just about to put it back when the shop owner urged me to try it on. Not knowing when I would ever wear it but not wanting to be impolite, I had gone to the changing room and tried it on.

The result had been breathtaking. The dress had hugged my curves perfectly, making my body look amazing. The color had made my blond hair stand out, giving me a more edgy look. It showed quite some skin, but not enough to make it inappropriate. The shop owner, who was a petite Hispanic woman, had literally jumped with excitement.

And that was how it had ended up in a plastic bag and had been carried out of the shop by me, the woman waving at me happily. To this day I had never really had the nerve to wear it, but I had always secretly hoped that one day I would.

After receiving repeated orders from Emily, I finally tried it on. Her eyes raked down and up, a grin so huge spreading across her face that I thought it would explode.

“Who needs that witchy spell when all you have to do is put on that dress? The guys will be attracted to you like moths to flames,” she smirked.

I blushed, but smiled happily. I sure hoped that she was right.

It was then that I decided that this night I would just have fun and enjoy myself. I wouldn't be afraid of making a fool of myself, and I wouldn't get shy in other people's presence. Today was the last day of this year, so I might as well make it a memorable one.

“Okay, my turn!” Emily announced, taking two dresses out of the bag she had brought. One was a tight dress with a golden leopard-like pattern, whilst the other one was a strapless black dress which was tight at the bodice but flowed out in a black cloud underneath.

She tried them on, and immediately decided that the black one was perfect. Emily grinned while looking in the mirror, agreeing with me.

I showered, and Emily started to put make-up on since she had already washed at her place. I blow-dried my hair, and afterwards she straightened my wild curly blond hair into soft locks. If I had tried I would probably have burned myself, and then I would never hear the end of it from Emily. She would make up a lot of lame jokes, like “You’re smoking today!” or “Burn, girl!” if I was arguing with someone. As you might understand, I was hoping to avoid that.

I got dressed and put make-up on, and then we were ready to go. We stood in front of the mirror, happy with the results. We both looked absolutely gorgeous.

I took a pair of black pumps, and put on my jacket. I called good-bye and we were off.

We took the subway, and I concluded that we were heading toward Times Square. My suspicions were confirmed when we went off at Times Square Station. Going up to the surface, I saw that there were already tons of people there, even though it was only nine. I could only imagine how it would be in three hours when the ball dropped.

Emily hooked her arm through mine and started to lead me through the square. It was brightly illuminated, defying the night's darkness. Turning in on one street, I saw a line of people waiting to get into a huge building. Through the big entrance I could see colorful flashing lights and I could literally feel the beat of the music through the ground.

We went to stand at the end of the line of people. I quickly noticed that they were all extremely well-dressed, even though many were around our age. The guys had fancy suits or tuxedoes, and all girls wore dazzling dresses. I was suddenly happy that I wore this dress. I had thought it daring, but standing with this people I was just normal.

When I saw a couple standing a bit in front of us present the waiting doormen a pair of tickets, I panicked.

“Emily, we can't get in here! We don't have tickets!” I hissed, fully prepared to bolt for it.

“Chillax, Zo!” she said, dragging out the first word. She fished a pair of tickets out of her purse, identical to the ones the couple had given.

“How...?” I asked flabbergasted. She couldn't have possibly afforded them by herself. This party seemed to be really exclusive!

“Well, as you might know, our parents run an advertisement company. It just happens to be that they had to advertise this party, which is supposed to be “The Best New Year's Eve party in New York”. As an additional thanks, they gave two tickets to them—”

“Which we now have,” I finished excitedly. “Oh my gosh, Emily! This New Year's Eve is going to rock!” I hugged her happily.

“I told you that it would be epic,” she answered, grinning at me.

When we finally got in we looked around in the enormous room with wide eyes, looking like wonderstruck children. The party had some kind of circus theme, with red and orange drapes hanging beautifully from the high ceiling. They covered the walls in the way that you felt like you were in a giant circus tent.

Acrobats hung in rings overhead, executing stunning tricks in time with the music. The long bar was fully occupied with people receiving intricate cocktails. There was a seating area on one side of the room, with fake leopard-skin covered sofas and royal red love-seats.

The main part was however the dance floor which was already quite filled. The party was in full swing, and people danced and jumped in the flashing lights as the music blasted through the speakers. The DJ stood with his turn table on a balcony above them, having his golden headphones on while he fiddled with the controls.

We left our jackets at the entrance where an employee took them, giving us a number tag for when we picked them up again.

“Come on! Let's dance the night away!” Emily shouted above the music and ran to the dance floor. Laughing, I followed her.

This is going to be a night to remember, I though to myself.  I had no idea how right I was.

----------------------------------------------

Okay, so these two chapters were kind of like the introduction. It's in the next chapter that the action really begins!!! :D Whoop whoop!

Hope that you're liking it so far! If you do, don't forget to vote or, even better, comment! ;)

Continue lendo