In My Skin

By KaraTales

Taylor West is the epitome of self-reliance. Or she must be. Relationships are fickle. Despite finally enroll... More

Author's note
Ch 1 || The Party
Ch 2 || The New Guy
Ch 3 || Doubts
CH 4 || Braids and Worries
CH 5 || A Good Friend and His Sidekick
Ch 6 || At the Lake
CH 7 || Sherlock
CH 8 || His Suffering Face is the Best
CH 9 || Backlash
CH 10 || Fairy tales
CH 11 || Only A Single Regret
CH 12 || Just A Little Mistake
CH 13 || Owing Favors
CH 14 || Repaying Favors
CH 15 || Red Alert
CH 16 || Abandoned Puppies
CH 17 || Halloween Part I
CH 18 || Halloween Part II
CH 19 || Halloween Part III
CH 20 || Halloween Part IV
CH 21 || Library
CH 22 || Out of Bounds
CH 23 || Girl's Night
CH 24 || Temper
CH 25 || Too Cold Without a Jacket
CH 26 || New Years
CH 27 || The Whole Night?
CH 28 || Hedgehogs and Pigeons
Ch 29 || Pranks and Secrets
CH 30 || Killy
Ch 31 || Papers and Cuts
CH 32 || Mr. Pokerface
CH 33 || Drowning
CH 35 || Friends
CH 36 || Spy Stuff
CH 37 || A Terrible Friend
CH 38 || Late-Night Run
CH 39 || This One Stinks
CH 40 || Flashing Lights on Campus
CH 41 || The Quiet Before The Storm
CH 42 || Done With the Lecture, Professor?
CH 43 || Aliens and Saints
CH 44 || My Baby
CH 45 || Sleep On The Couch
CH 46 || Rules
CH 47 || Potential Wells
CH 48 || Hypocrite
CH 49 || A Taste of His Own Medicine
CH 50 || Perfectly Sob
CH 51 || The Dermatologists Are On A Different Floor
CH 52 || The Monster Beneath My Skin
CH 53 || Intervention
CH 54 || His Inner Grumpy Grandpa
CH 55 || The Problem With Plans
CH 56 || Good Plan
CH 57 || One Job
CH 58 || Not Going Anywhere
CH 59 || Love Language
Epilogue || Best Friend
Final Thoughts
Aesthetics

CH 34 || Avoid at all Costs

1.1K 46 235
By KaraTales

I pushed through the wide double door, squinting into the afternoon sun. Finally, my classes were over. Now the only thing left to do was drive home with Suz, settle in, and finish our latest drama.

Two more letters had arrived during the week. The first had been tucked inside the newspaper, a headline with the word homicide ripped out and crammed inside the envelope. The second, I'd found wedged between the door frame and the front door when I'd left this morning. Dark red letters spelled, "Disappear or I will make you." Attached was another newspaper article about a man who murdered his girlfriend.

At least whoever it was was creative. I had stashed them with the other ones, hidden inside my nightstand, and barely thought about them at all. Maybe I stopped caring since letters couldn't hurt me. Or, maybe, my mind was simply too occupied by a certain someone.

I glanced around, saw that the field was clear, and started towards Suz's car.

After our kiss, I had no idea how to face Killian. Or talk to him. Okay, fine, maybe I was panicking. Jumping into a new relationship terrified me. History had proven that my judgment seemed to be a bit...off sometimes. Plus, there was this tiny voice inside my head that screamed I wasn't ready. Then again, it had felt so good.

I stopped mid-stride. Oh, God. I was a lost cause. How the hell was I supposed to face him when the mere thought of our kiss sent my heart into a frenzy?

The answer was the same as before. Until I knew how, there was only one option: avoid at all costs.

So far that had been surprisingly easy. At least physically. My mind seemed to have different ideas. That night lived rent-free inside my head. As if someone had recorded us, transferred the video to my hard drive, and bugged it so that it was playing on repeat.

I shook my head. Maybe a good Kdrama would help me forget about everything. I continued walking, and sent a quick text to Suz to let her know that I was on my way. As soon as I looked up, I saw him. Killian.

I always seemed to spot him these days. As if someone had planted a Killian sensor into my brain.

I quickly hid behind a pillar, hugging my books to my chest. My curiosity gnawed at me until it finally won out and instead of leaving, I studied him from a distance.

There was just something about him that seemed to draw me in. He stood among a group of guys—probably from class since I didn't recognize them—looking just the same as usual. Short dark brown hair slightly ruffled. A sweatshirt that clung to his broad shoulders, emphasizing his muscular frame. I couldn't help but imagine how good it felt to run my hands over—God dammit, I really had to get a grip.

He said something to the guy next to him when some girls joined. One of them stood a bit too close, her long, mahogany hair glimmering in the bright sun's rays. My muscles tensed when she reached out to brush something from his shoulders.

He didn't seem affected at all. I had been suffering the last few days whereas he looked normal. Maybe he thought of it as a mistake. Maybe it was a mistake. Fuck.

Killian pulled out his phone, typing something while the brunette seemed to try to engage him in a conversation. Maybe he was saving her number. Which was fine. Totally fine. None of my business. I had been avoiding him for a week after all. But despite knowing that, my chest tightened with every second I watched unable to drag my gaze away. Yep, I had issues.

He was still fumbling with his phone, but his body was turned in her direction. My nails dug into my palm. I should leave. But somehow my feet had decided to sprout roots. It was impossible to move.

My phone vibrated in my pocket. Probably Suz.

I wasn't the jealous type, which in hindsight might be one of the reasons it took me so long to realize what was going on between Jess and Chris. But now... This restlessness was strange. I couldn't seem to shut down my emotions as well as usual.

A frown crossed his handsome face as he typed while the girl talked animatedly.

I got another text message. Then another one. Suz had to be getting impatient. I stepped behind the pillar and pulled out my phone ready to tell her I'd be there in a second. Only that the messages weren't from Suz at all.

It was Killian.

Sherlock: You know you don't have to stare at me this hard from a distance, princess. Are you done with your lectures for today? Or are you going to keep avoiding me?

Sherlock: Mhm?

Sherlock: Are you ignoring my text messages as well now?

Sherlock: I know I'm handsome but look at your phone.

Sherlock: Princess.

Sherlock: Look.

Sherlock: At.

Sherlock: Your.

Sherlock: Phone.

Sherlock: Sigh*

Sherlock: You have 20 seconds to reply or I'm coming over.

I nearly dropped the phone in a panic when I finally got to the last message. When did it come in?

I was about to type out a reply when it got snatched out of my hand.

Heat washed over my face when a familiar deep voice spoke above my head. "Too slow, princess." Killian's breath caressed my ear as he leaned over my shoulder to look down at me.

There was no way I could explain this without sounding like I was spying on him.

I could do nothing but stare as he stepped around me and took the books. "Let's go."

My heart hammered inside my chest. Act normal. I could do this. How did I usually behave again? "Go...where?" I whispered.

"I'll take you home," he replied in a hushed voice.

"Wait!" I whisper-yelled and rushed after him. "I was going home with Suz, she's actually waiting for me."

"No, she's not," he said under his breath. Then he bent down to speak into my ear. "Why are we whispering?"

"Um... Yes, she is," I declared finally speaking at a normal volume.

He gave me a quick glance. "Don't worry, I already texted her."

I could only blink. "You—did?"

"Yeah."

"And she agreed?"

"She threatened me a little but yeah."

So, that was why he had been texting so much while I had been watching him? I wanted to be stubborn and tell him off but the flutter spreading through my stomach made me follow him in silence.

He unlocked his car and put the books into the trunk. I slid into the passenger seat and inhaled. Everything smelled like him. Warmth spread through my chest, and I reclined into the seat, feeling a little better.

"Are you hungry?" he asked as he started the engine.

"No," I lied, but immediately got exposed as my stomach chose that very moment to let out a loud rumble. "I mean I can eat at home," I said quickly.

"Good."

Good? I gulped and looked outside the passenger window, twisting my hands. Maybe it was better this way.

We drove in silence for a while until I noticed that this wasn't the route to my apartment. "Wait, where are we going?"

"My place," he stated simply.

"You said you were taking me home," I accused him.

"I am. I just need to grab something. Stuff to make food." He shot me a quiet look. "Unless you're uncomfortable with me coming over."

The disappointment I had felt earlier had completely vanished. But still, I hesitated. "No, it's just my diet..."

"The no milk no gluten one?"

"Yeah..." I was surprised he actually remembered. Chris never did.

"That's fine then."

"No, I mean it's kind of annoying, but I really need to see it through this time," I hedged.

He turned to me when we stopped in front of a light. The lopsided grin on his face sent my heart into a frenzy.

"Princess." The nickname sent another wave of nerves through me. "It's not a problem. Not to boast but I'm a pretty good cook."

I could only stare. Aside from Suzy, he was the first person to tell me it was fine, that my eating differently wasn't a nuisance. The first person that didn't make me feel like I needed to compromise.

He faced the road again. His hand brushed against mine as he switched gears.

I lifted my hands and studied the smooth skin covering their backs. It had taken so long to heal that sometimes it was strange not to see the familiar bumps and scratches. I used to hate the feeling of someone touching them at that time.

Killian snatched up my left hand and slowly turned it over. Ever so gently his long fingers ran over my palms leaving tingles in their wake. "What's with your hand?"

"Nothing," I said quickly. Did he notice that my fingernails were strangely short? Or the scars on the back of my hand?

"You had it wrapped before."

"Oh. I cut myself by accident."

His eyes flickered to mine briefly before he focused back on the road. I waited for him to let go but he didn't. Instead, he placed our combined hands on my thigh, so naturally, as if we did this all the time.

It felt nice. Really nice. I hadn't held hands with anyone for so long I'd forgotten that it was supposed to feel good.

We stopped at his place where he went in to grab a few groceries before we finally pulled into my driveway. Killian carried the bags and my books while I trailed behind.

My name was called.

Sofia marched up to me, looking stressed, Angie clutched in her left hand. "Tay, thank God, I caught you. Do you think you could watch Angie? I have to cover a shift at the hospital. One of the other nurses got sick—"

She stopped abruptly when she finally noticed Killian a few steps above me. "Oh. I mean. Never mind." She blinked, seemingly lost.

Before I could reply, Killian beat me to it. "It's fine." He appeared at my side and crouched down, putting his face on the same level as Angie's.

Her eyes widened and she grabbed onto her mom's arm.

A slow, genuine smile spread his lips, softening his features. My stomach did that weird jumpy thing again.

His voice was calm, and soothing as he spoke. "Is it okay if I'm staying tonight? Or do you want Tay for yourself?"

Angie blinked at him, her dark eyes huge. Then her fingers loosened, and she looked up at her mom. "Can he stay? Please?"

Sofia hesitated and sent me a look. I shrugged and smiled, letting her know that it didn't bother me at all. "Um... I can't ask of you..."

"This actually works out really well," Killian said, and his hazel eyes met Sofia's dark ones. "I haven't thanked you for last time yet."

"Oh," Sofia exclaimed, and her shoulders relaxed. "Yeah, then if it's not a bother..."

"Of course not," I replied and opened my arms. Angie rushed forward and squeezed me to death. She had a lot of strength for a ten-year-old.

"Wait, I'm gonna give you some money," Sofia said, and started rummaging in her bag. "I haven't had the time to cook anything, You can order something..."

We both knew very well why she usually cooked. My attempts at making food always ended in a mess.

Killian straightened back to his full height. "I was going to cook anyways, and we have more than enough. Saves me from throwing away leftovers."

Sofia's eyes widened at his words. She sent me a worried look, cleared her throat and declared, "Angie can't eat gluten and dairy though."

Killian flashed her a knowing grin. "It's such a coincidence that Tay also can't eat those."

Sofia blushed.

I had to suppress a snicker. So, he could be charming when he wanted to, huh?

As we took the stairs, I had a short moment of panic when I realized he'd be the first to arrive at my door. When we rounded the corner, I let out a long exhale. My doormat was empty.

I quickly stashed my books away and returned to the living room to find Killian and Angie facing off. She had her small arms crossed and her chin lifted while Killian reclined against the counter, looking right at home. Her head ended somewhere atop his abs. Their height difference was almost comical.

"So," Angie declared loudly. It sounded like an interrogation. Or a declaration of war.

Oh, this was going to be good. I dropped onto the couch, ready to watch the show.

"I'm not sure if I like you with my Tay," Angie said, flipping her hair in a business-like manner. "My mom says men can't be trusted."

Killian raised his eyebrows. Then he said in a serious tone, "That is very very true. Never trust a guy."

I gave him a quizzical look.

A mischievous glint entered his eyes. "There are a lot of bad guys out there, so you should always stay vigilant and check their motives first, especially if they're interested in Tay."

Angie looked just as confused as I felt. "But you're a guy."

"There's always an exception to the rule, right? Like how you're supposed to go to bed at nine, but sometimes your mom will let you stay up late."

"Ah, that makes sense!" Angie said, nodding her head in agreement.

Did it though?

"So, you are trustworthy," she exclaimed.

"Never trust anyone who says he is." He tapped her nose. "Don't listen to their words. Watch their actions, got it? You have to evaluate them yourself."

Angie scrunched her face. "Okay...but how?"

"For one they hold their promise. They don't talk lightly. Never trust a man who's all talk but doesn't back it up, get it?"

"I think I know. Like Fabian."

Killian's eyes snapped to me briefly before he focused back on her. "Who's Fabian?"

"He said he likes Emilia but then agreed to go out with Thea after she said she liked him. He tells the teacher he did his homework, but he actually copied it from his friend. So, he's not trustworthy," Angie concluded proudly.

"Exactly. See? You're a pro at this."

Angie beamed at him.

And just like that, my little fighter was completely won over.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

239 16 9
โ€ขKlea Carpenter just got accepted in her dream university, where her best friend studies as well. Everything goes smooth until one day, her rival is...
13K 873 17
She'd die for love. He didn't believe in love. *** From reading The Love Hypothesis by Ali Hazelwood, to watching 10 Things I Hate About You, to list...
5K 269 35
This story is a super slow burn. Hailey just wants to finish her fall semester of classes. She wants to be able to go home and spend the holidays wit...
171K 6.3K 58
๐’๐จ๐ฉ๐ก๐ข๐š ๐‚๐ฅ๐š๐ซ๐ค is smart, quiet, shy and beautiful. She joined crystal high sophomore year and soon won the hearts of all teachers with her...