cassiopeia ź’± markhyuck

By hyckvelyz

ā Answer me, alpha. Is this really what you wanted? āž in which Donghyuck is taken through a portal to another... More

ź’° cassiopeia ź’±
one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty one
twenty two
twenty three
twenty four
twenty five
twenty six
twenty seven
twenty eight
twenty nine
thirty
thirty one
thirty two
thirty three
thirty four
thirty five
thirty six
thirty seven
thirty eight

fourteen

466 29 8
By hyckvelyz

"Now, shall we begin?"

Mark leant forward and nodded, giving the delegates permission to continue. "Please."

Donghyuck drummed his fingers against his thighs, dispelling some of his anxious energy and trying to appear calm and relaxed.

One of the strangers stepped forward, a confident smile on her face. Judging by her unique clothing and air of importance, it seemed like she was probably higher ranked than the rest of them. Donghyuck tried to copy Mark's posture, leaning forward to give her his full attention.

"Our nation was very pleased to hear that the Neo Kingdom was successful in securing an omega mate for the king," the delegate started smoothly, "we came to give our sincere congratulations on behalf of our monarchs."

Mark nodded stiffly. "Thank you. Please pass on my thanks to your leaders."

Donghyuck almost wanted to protest that him and Mark weren't even mated yet, but he resolutely kept his mouth shut, terrified that he might accidentally ruin everything by saying the wrong thing.

"Ideally, you may be able to give them your thanks in person," the delegate crooned. Her entire demeanor and way of talking was smooth, coordinated, and perfectly professional. Donghyuck couldn't help wonder if she'd been excellently trained, or had just been born with those skills.

Mark furrowed his eyebrows. "Please elaborate."

"Well, as I'm sure you are aware, it is tradition for the newly mated king and queen to visit all the allying countries, and have a celebration thrown in their honor," the woman said slowly, "our leaders have been patiently waiting for the mating announcement since you informed us that you had found an omega. We were sent to inquire why you have not yet started your celebratory wedding tour."

Donghyuck felt panic wash over him, glancing at Mark hurriedly. The king appeared as calm and collected as ever, but his knuckles whitened against the arm of his throne.

"We have not yet started the tour because we are not yet mated or wed," Mark said patiently, ignoring the looks of open surprise on the delegates' faces, "and besides, we all know circumstances are different nowadays. An omega leaving the palace is too risky, the Red Moon is still running free."

"If you are not yet mated or wed..." the delegate started slowly, turning towards Donghyuck as her gaze changed into something icy and disdainful, "then why is an unmated omega commoner sitting next to you on the queen's throne?"

Donghyuck stiffened, tensing every muscle in his body as his breathing got shallower. She was right, he wasn't the queen, and he didn't really have the intention to be. He was an imposter, a fraud, and she could see right through him, and now she'd declare war and the people of the country would die and it would be all his fault—

"Do not speak of him in such a way," Mark hissed, quickly jumping to Donghyuck's defense and breaking him out of the beginnings of his panic spiral, "I am still in the process of courting him. I'm training him to become the queen, because he is still unfamiliar with our procedures and I want to make sure he'll be a good, informed, smart ruler."

The delegates all glared coldly at Donghyuck, looking unconvinced. Donghyuck's chest tightened with anxiety, almost suffocating him, but then Mark reached over and gripped his hand, giving it another comforting squeeze. He brought Donghyuck's attention back to him and met his eyes, trying to reassure him. It's going to be okay, you're doing well. It's not your fault. You're doing good. Relax. Breathe.

Donghyuck inhaled a shaky breath, regaining control of himself and straightening in his seat, trying to look intimidating and powerful like Mark. He wasn't sure if it was actually working, but it at least made him feel a little better.

"In any case..." the lady sighed, reluctantly moving on from the topic, "we were instructed to convince the royal couple to travel to meet our nations' monarchs. If not for a wedding tour, then at least for alliance negations and to discuss possible plans of action to combat the Red Moon's rising power."

Mark's eyebrows furrowed. "I believe that won't be possible at this time. We all know that traveling right now is unsafe for omegas, especially with the Red Moon becoming more dangerous. It would be entirely unreasonable and much too risky for me to take His Highness anywhere outside of the palace."

Another reassuring squeeze against Donghyuck's hand. This time, the omega tentatively gave him a little squeeze back.

"I'm afraid that our monarchs absolutely insist. They want to see the omega in person, and it is of utmost importance that they meet the... soon-to-be queen as soon as possible."

Donghyuck could tell that Mark was starting to get irritated, his jaw muscles tightening slightly in a way only Donghyuck could see from his angle. "Would it be unreasonable for me to request that your leaders travel to meet me here instead?"

"I'm afraid so," the delegate replied, her tone not sounding apologetic in the slightest, "our monarchs are all very busy, and have many issues to attend to in their own kingdoms that make it difficult for them to leave at this time."

A beat of silence. Mark grit his teeth, letting out a heavy sigh.

"And if we refuse to travel to meet them?" Mark snapped back, his calm demeanor finally cracking as his anger grew.

The beta woman blinked, momentarily surprised, before her lips spread into a fake grin that held a threatening aura. "Then it seems that our leaders might have to reconsider the alliance, if one of their allies refuses to comply with the terms set in the original treaty signed by the former kings."

The room was quiet for a long moment, as Mark used his free hand to pinch the bridge of his nose and took in deep, measured breaths. Donghyuck hoped that his hand intertwined with the king's was providing some of the same comfort that Mark had given him earlier.

"Fine. We will prepare to leave by the end of the week," Mark sighed, resigned. "Meeting adjourned, I'll have my servants show you all to your guest quarters."

The servants all rushed in, leading the group of delegates out of the throne room. When the door slammed shut behind them, Mark released Donghyuck's hand and tugged at his own hair, groaning loudly in frustration.

"Get John in here," Mark commanded one of the other nearby servants, standing to his feet and starting to pace nervously across the platform. Donghyuck watched him wearily, feeling uneasy at seeing the usually calm king in so much distress.

"Mark?" He asked softly, stopping the alpha on his tracks, "would traveling really be that bad for me? Why were they so insistent on us going?"

"Because the other kings are all selfish, self centered pricks," Mark hissed, clenching his fists at his sides, "those nasty leaders don't care about anyone but themselves. They refused to send me an omega when I was searching because they were worried they'd get killed on the journey, but now that it's not one of their omegas on the line, they're suddenly totally fine with traveling and having a tour? Bullshit."

Donghyuck flinched, surprised. He couldn't remember if he'd heard Mark curse before.

"Why are you even allied with them, if they don't seem to care about you or your kingdom?"

"Because dealing with annoying, entitled kings is still better than facing a war. These countries are powerful, it's in our best interest to just put up with it and make them happy," he sighed, "the treaty was signed by my father, before I was born. I was trained to uphold it by whatever means possible. Our kingdom is the weakest out of anyone else in the alliance, if a war broke out then we wouldn't stand a chance... so I don't have a choice but to do everything they say."

Donghyuck shivered, wrapping his arms around his torso. John burst through the door a moment later, bowing hurriedly to Mark.

"John," Mark gasped, his regal persona slipping a little and for a split second, he just looked like a tired, distressed young boy who was relieved to see his long time friend. "John, what are we going to do?"

"I heard from the servants what is going on, Your Majesty," John said somberly, striding up to the platform and giving Mark a reassuring pat on the shoulder, "if they're forcing you and His Highness to travel, then we will be as prepared and meticulous as possible. I will bring my entire arsenal with me. We'll keep watch on him at all times. We'll refresh your training, Your Majesty, and arm you with a weapon as well just in case."

Donghyuck just stared up at the two of them helplessly. "Nobody will get hurt though, right? We'll be able to get there safely if we take John and all the soldiers, right?"

Mark glanced at him sympathetically, looking apologetic. John's face was grim and serious.

"Our top priority is ensuring the safety of the king and queen. We will do anything to protect the both of you, even if it means sacrificing our own lives."

┈ ୨ 👑 ୧ ┈

Renjun had tears clinging to his eyelashes as he shoved the folded clothes into the carrying sack, working swiftly and quietly. Donghyuck just watched him helplessly, sitting at the edge of his bed and allowing Renjun to pack whatever he thought he would need.

"Jun. I'm gonna be okay, you don't have to worry about me," Donghyuck murmured, not fully believing the words himself but still wanting to comfort his friend somehow.

"I know you will," Renjun said simply, his voice wavering a little at the end. "John and all of his soldiers are going with you, and you'll have the king next to you at all times. There's no reason to worry at all."

Silence fell over the room again. Donghyuck folded his hands in his lap and pursed his lips.

"You're still scared, though," he finally whispered, "I know. I'm scared too."

Renjun immediately stopped what he was doing, letting out a long sigh before he strode over towards Donghyuck and sat next to him on the bed, wrapping an arm around his shoulders and pulling him in close.

"It's normal to be afraid. I'm sure this is all overwhelming for you, traveling across a strange land that you've been warned is dangerous, but I know you'll be okay. You'll spend a few weeks in a couple other fancy palaces, eat a lot of fancy food and drink a lot of wine at parties, and then you'll come right back here, safe and sound."

Donghyuck frowned, leaning into Renjun's embrace and nuzzling his nose into his neck. Sometimes Donghyuck wished that the beta had a stronger scent, so he'd have something of his friend that he could comfort himself with. "Are you sure you can't just go with us?"

Renjun smiled sadly, shaking his head. "I couldn't possibly come along. I'm not strong like the soldiers, I'm slow and weak and I don't know how to fight. I would only make the journey more difficult than it needs to be."

Donghyuck pouted, tightening his arms around Renjun's waist and soaking in his presence. Renjun allowed him to, gently patting his back and stroking his hair until finally a knock at the door forced them to separate.

"Come in," Donghyuck grumbled miserably. Jeno popped in through the doorway, looking a little sheepish and incredibly sympathetic.

"Your Highness. It's time for us to depart."

Donghyuck turned to Renjun and gave him one last bone crushing hug, blinking back his own tears, before he sighed and stood to his feet, clutching the bag Renjun packed for him to his chest.

"Alright, I'm ready."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

89.9K 4.2K 47
The silence, an unsettling argument, the Lycanthrope lineages, his bloodline, the pain. At the blooming age of 21 he was too reserved for an Alpha. W...
117K 4.4K 21
[l.dh x dream] [mafia au] [omegaverse] ą³ƒā€āž· in which donghyuck is taken off the streets one night and placed in the hare...
13.5K 585 15
|| š™³šš˜ šš¢šš˜ššž ššššŽšš š™³ššŽšš“ššŠ šš…ššž šš šš‘ššŽšš— ššœšš‘ššŽ'ššœ šš šš’šššš‘ šš¢šš˜ššž? || -o- MARKHYUCK -o- BESTFRIENDS -everything in this fanfiction is just for...
141K 5.8K 21
[omegaverse!au] "you're killing me with guilt" in which donghyuck's enemy becomes his alpha because of one intended hate-reduce fuck a!mark; o!hyuck...