Inside You (Mortal Instrument...

By Bookworm-X-

Something is wrong. There is trouble in paradise. Plagued by terrible nightmares and with his emotions all ov... More

Inside You: Prologue
Chapter 1-Do Not Touch
Chapter 2-Hidden Pain
Chapter 3-So It Begins
Chapter 4-A Surprise Aquaintance
Chapter 5-Date Night
Chapter 7-A Heady Passion
Chapter 8-Nightmare Rift
Chapter 9-Suspicious Behaviour
Chapter 10-Birthday Distraction
Chapter 11-Confusion and Clues
Chapter 12-A Barrier Against You
Chapter 13-Out Of Control
Chapter 14-True Or False
Chapter 15-Blank Memories
Chapter 16-Blind Fury
Chapter 17-Words Unspoken and Unheard
Chapter 18-Suffering In Silence
Chapter 19-Decipher
Chapter 20-A Sister's Guilt
Chapter 21-Truth Revealed
Chapter 22-An Understanding
Chapter 23-The Last Resort
Chapter 24-Divide and Conquer
Chapter 25-Sacrifice
Chapter 26-Death's Embrace
A/N-Author's Note
Inside You: Epilogue

Chapter 6-The (Almost) Perfect Evening

5.8K 145 65
By Bookworm-X-

Heyy, recently I have had so many lovely comments so firstly I just want to say thank you :) so the chapter after this is already nearly finished so hopefully you won't have to wait too long :P but I do have exams coming up so after the next chapter there may be a bit of a wait :/ SORRY!! but just stick with me please! Anyway this chapter hasn't been checked-I just haven't got time :/ sometimes I think having a beta would be a good idea ;) BUUUUTTT if you like this chapter please vote and comment! Thank you! :D

After thirty minutes or so the taxi pulled up at the end of the street where the restaurant was situated and Alec and Magnus climbed quickly out.

The crescent moon hung high above them casting a gentle white glow upon the dark sky and the stars twinkled brightly.

Strolling slowly along the street, his hand clasped in Magnus’s own smooth one, Alec had to hold back the urge to start beaming. He didn’t know the last time he had felt this happy. His mind was calm, his shoulders were straight, as if a huge weight had been lifted off of him and his feet were light on the pavement.

He couldn’t help but continually sneak glances at the gorgeous creature who walked beside him. Eventually, embarrassingly, Magnus caught him as he tried for a subtle look of his own. Alec blushed lightly as Magnus’s cat eyes sparkled and he broke into a smirk.

“Alec if you want to stare at me you need only ask,” Magnus said teasingly. Alec ducked his head momentarily before, unable to help himself, looked back up at the warlock through the gaps in the dark hair that hung across his forehead.

“Or you can even take a picture if you’d like,” he was still teasing and was momentarily surprised when Alec nodded before grabbing his phone from his pocket and flipping it open.

“Smile then,” Alec prompted, shooting Magnus a grin from around the phone. The camera flashed and Alec examined the picture eagerly. The light made the fine powder that dusted Magnus’ golden skin shimmer lightly and his yellow cat eyes practically glowed.

Grinning cheerfully Alec sneakily set the picture to his phone background before Magnus could protest. As it was the warlock strode over to inspect the picture himself.

“Oh dear. It’s awful! Quick my love look away; it will burn your eyes!” Magnus yelled trying to pull the phone from Alec’s hands but the Shadowhunter batted his hands away, tucking the phone swiftly back into his pocket-not noticing the almost dead battery.

He rolled his eyes. “Don’t be ridiculous, Magnus. It’s stunning.”

Magnus continued to protest but Alec could tell that secretly he was pleased that Alec liked it. It made Alec happy that he could read Magnus so easily.

He took Magnus’ hand in his own and made to walk into the restaurant but Magnus held his ground, jerking Alec back towards him.

“Aren’t we going to go in?” Alec said.

“Not quite yet, there’s something else I want to do first.” Alec could see a mischievous spark in Magnus’s eyes.

“And what’s that?” he asked warily.

Leaning down, keeping his gaze locked with Alec’s until the last possible moment, he spoke quietly in Alec’s ear: “To kiss you.”

Alec shivered-whether from the feeling of Magnus’s breath on his ear, the words he had spoken or a combination of both he didn’t know. He didn’t really care.

Bringing his arms up he wrapped one around Magnus’s neck before pushing the fingers of the other into the silky strands of his hair that peeked out from beneath the warlock’s hat. Magnus’s rested his hands on the Shadowhunter’s slim waist before hooking his thumbs in the waistband of the black trousers and pulling Alec towards him by his hips.

Their lips met in a flurry of passion. Their bodies pressed together as their breaths mingled and their tongues explored each other’s mouths. Alec felt desire race through him like electricity before curling in his gut.

No matter how many times it happened Alec knew that feeling would never disappear. He could never get tired of kissing him.

It felt like an eternity before either person pulled away.

Eventually they parted and entered the building with Alec, for once, taking the lead, pulling Magnus along behind him.

As soon as they entered a young, blonde haired waiter greeted them. His eyes were green and he had an excitable, puppy dog like aura around him. He was practically bouncing up and down with eagerness.

“Have you already booked a table? We’re very busy.”

Alec replied before Magnus could speak. “Yes I have. Table 13, under the name of Lightwood.”

Magnus looked swiftly at Alec, raising his eyebrow, surprised at the Shadowhunter’s organisation. How much of this had he planned?

The blonde waiter glanced briefly at Magnus then gave Alec a knowing look before turning on his heel and striding off through the restaurant as he called behind him: “Follow me.”

Magnus gestured for Alec to lead the way again and they walked on, keeping an eye on the bouncing blonde head in front of them. They walked through the restaurant, weaving in between all of the tables, heading towards the very back of the restaurant.

They came to a stop in front of a pair of clear glass doors and the waiter smiled at them over his shoulder, sharing another knowing look with Alec before grabbing hold of the silver door handles.

He threw open the large, white doors and they all stepped out into the night. It was still warm and the stars sparkled brightly above them.

As Magnus surveyed the scene before him the warlock stopped suddenly in his tracks, his yellow/green eyes growing wide as Alec, having stopped also, watched him, a small smile tugging at the corners of his mouth.

A huge white gazebo stood proudly at the back of the garden, providing cover for the large table beneath it which was covered in a large white and silver table cloth. In the centre of the table stood a set of 3 tall candles that flickered hypnotically in the darkness. Next to both plates were placed a single red rose.

But the most beautiful thing of all was the hundreds of tiny, miniscule fairy lights draped across the tent, through the branches and wrapped around the trunk of trees which provided a an almost mystical glow to the garden.

Magnus, for probably the first time in his life, was completely speechless. His mouth hung open forming a large O. His cat eyes flicked rapidly between the beautiful scene in front of him

“Alexander…” he murmured quietly, trying to force the ‘thank you’ past his lips-not that those two words would cover even a fraction of the thoughts and emotions coursing through him. Alec chuckled gently, reaching up on his toes to press and soft kiss to the warlock’s cheek.

“You’re welcome Magnus.” His warm breath brushed Magnus’ cheek. “Now come on, if the food is half as good as this looks I for one want to try it.”

They sat down, Magnus still staring around him in wonder; he looked like a kid in a candy shop.

“So you like it then?”

“Like it? Alec I love it. It’s amazing!” He was gesturing enthusiastically-so enthusiastically that he didn’t notice the waiter come over.

This was a different man to the one who had led them to their table. This man had jet black hair that stuck up in unruly spikes. His pale face was thin and sallow but that wasn’t what stood out most. While Magnus’ eyes were like a cats: yellow/green with more of a vertical pupil this man’s eyes were, although slightly similar, a bright, burnt orange colour with a long, vertically slit pupil.

He had they eyes of a snake.

He stopped at the edge of the table, his mouth turning down into a deep frown as he laid eyes on Magnus.

“I hate to interrupt,” his voice was dripping with sarcasm, “but we’re very busy so I need you to order. I’m Deacon and I have the…joy…of being your waiter.” His voice indicated he thought the exact opposite.

As he spoke Alec noticed his forked tongue and did his best not to stare while trying to ignore the waiter’s rudeness.

Magnus ordered smoked salmon while Alec treated himself to his favourite: spaghetti carbonara while both men ordered a glass of wine-chosen by Magnus- who, according to himself, was an expert in great wines.

“Great choices.” The waiter’s voice was completely dead-pan and he refused to look at Magnus even when the warlock had been ordering.

“What is his problem?” Alec asked, watching the waiter’s retreating figure.

“He’s a Viperla. It’s not exactly surprising.”

Alec vaguely recognised the name from one of Hodge’s lessons years ago but couldn’t remember much else. He knew that they were named due to their snake like features: the tongue and the eyes, but that was about it.

He waited and Magnus continued.

“Warlocks and Viperla have had an on-going rivalry for centuries.”

“Why?” Alec was sure they had never studied this.

Magnus grew unusually serious.

“Ultimately because they’re jealous. They too are the offspring of mundanes and demon however they cannot perform magic or use spells like we can.” Alec’s forehead creased in confusion.

“They are all the children of one particular species of demon but for some unknown reason this demon just doesn’t pass on any magical ability.

Alec pondered this for a moment, trying to understand.

“So they’re kind like squibs in Harry Potter?”

Magnus laughed, “That’s actually a pretty good analogy.”

“By the Angel, no wonder they’re bitter.”

Magnus nodded.

“But what is he doing working here? They’re clearly not the friendliest of people.”

“Well they have to make a living too. Most aren’t too bad though, this one clearly just has an attitude problem. Maybe he asked me out once and I said no.”  Magnus’ attempt at humour fell flat and his smile didn’t meet his eyes.

 When Deacon returned with their food he refused to look at either of them and turned to leave almost immediately but Magnus reached out an arm to stop him.

“I’ll have another glass of wine please.” Magnus said.

Deacon flinched back and sneered at him. “Why don’t you just snap your fingers and get it yourself?”

Magnus raised his eyebrows and fixed his piercing gaze on the man’s face.

“Excuse me?” Magnus’ voice was low, anger simmering slightly beneath his words.

“I said,” the man’s voice was low and venomous, “why don’t you snap your fingers and get. It. Yourself.”

At his words Alec felt a strange shiver curl down his spine as his stomach twisted and curled in anger. But Deacon just kept on talking:

“You think you’re so high and mighty just because you can do magic. Rubbing it in our faces all the time. Well guess what, you’re not any better than us and you don’t deserve the abilities you have. You’re just scum; that’s all you are: scum.” His eyes were blazing with open hatred but before Magnus could respond he turned on his heel and stormed off.

Alec’s head was pounding and his body grew warm as rage coursed through him. He shot out of his seat, nearly knocking over his chair as he bared his teeth at the Deacon’s back, a snarl clawing its way up his throat.

“Alec. Calm down!” Magnus attention was now solely focused on his boyfriend.

The slight panic in Magnus’ voice jolted Alec out of whatever it was that had overcome him and he stared, with wide eyes, down at the knife, which had been in his hand that was now stuck firmly in the table. He was breathing hard and his hand, now clenched into a fist, was trembling slightly.

Slowly he raised his head to stare at Magnus as he sank back into his chair.

“What was that?” Magnus asked quietly, reaching across the table to link his fingers with Alec’s.

“I…I don’t know…I just got so angry. The way he was looking at you; the way he spoke to you...” he trailed off, breathing deeply as he tried to clear his head.

It was so unlike him to react like that.

He yanked the knife out of the table and placed it back on the table, further away from him than before. They both stared at the gash in the table.

“Well…I hope that wasn’t mahogany.”

But Alec was too busy thinking to hear him and Magnus let him brood uninterrupted. Eventually he broke the silence.

“I’m just tired.” And it was true, the nightmare a couple of nights before had left him shaken and exhausted and he still hadn’t caught up on his sleep.

Magnus nodded, unwilling to push the matter.

“We’d better eat; your food is going cold.”

They tucked in to their meals and the delicious food soon pushed the worry out of Alec’s mind. Their conversation was smooth and fluid, each just enjoying the other’s company.

They spent a while discussing the mysterious break-ins but came up with no new theories. With only two shops having been targeted it was hard to say if there was a pattern or not and they soon moved on.

When they finished a different waiter came to take their plates away-a genie according to Magnus.

“I don’t know what to have for dessert,” Alec moaned, stretching his arms above his head feeling full and satisfied, “and how am I supposed to finish it anyway?”

Glancing down at the menu Magnus spotted the perfect thing: Chilli Chocolate Infusion Cake. It sounded exquisite.

“I think I’ve got the perfect thing.”

Alec looked at him, eyebrows raised. “Which one?”

Magnus grinned, Alec wasn’t exactly the most adventurous eaters. “Trust me?”

“Yes.” Alec replied immediately, not even having to think about it, which Magnus’ heart swell.

“Then you’ll have to wait and see. We can share it.”

Tilting his head slightly Alec considered for a moment before agreeing. A few moments later their arrogant waiter returned, scowl still in place, to take their order. Ignoring Magnus as he had done all night he turned to Alec and waited, eyes looking anywhere but directly at him.

Anger rose up in Alec again but seeing Magnus’ worried expression he kept his mouth shut. His jaw clenched so hard he swore his teeth were going to crumble he shot the waiter a hard look before turning his head pointedly towards Magnus.

Deacon  scowled harder but unwillingly turned his body ever so slightly in Magnus’ direction.

“We’ll have a Chilli Chocolate Infusion Cake…please.” Magnus’ voice lacked sincerity. The waiter hadn’t even finished scribbling it down before he had turned away. “With two spoons.” Magnus called after him.

Alec merely sat there in a stony silence.

“Alexander, you really shouldn’t let him get to you.” Magnus said, trying to soothe Alec again not wanting a repeat of his earlier outburst, his concern evident in his eyes.

“But it’s not right, the way he’s acting towards you.” Alec fumed, but the anger that had consumed him earlier didn’t make an appearance.

“Don’t worry about it darling. Once you’ve been alive as long as I have, you don’t let petty things like this bother you.”

“Doesn’t mean I have to like it.”

“Don’t let him spoil our evening.” Magnus insisted.

The waiter returned quickly, practically flinging the plate onto the table before leaving without a word. Alec took a deep breath and did his best to let go of his anger and it worked-mostly.

“You first.” Alec said motioning towards the plate. But Magnus shook his head, a small smile playing around the corners of his full lips; he was used to Alec’s insistent, gentlemanly ways.

“Come on Magnus.” But the warlock refused, trying to hold back his smirk. He loved teasing Alec.

Sighing good-naturedly Alec picked up the fork and, scooping up a piece of cake, held it out to Magnus. Keeping his cat eyes locked on Alec Magnus leant forward and wrapped his lips around the fork, lingering for a moment as he stared at Alec hungrily.

“Your turn,” he murmured, picking up the other fork and offering some cake to him.

“By the angel that’s delicious.” Alec said, groaning as the silky, and strangely spicy, chocolate coated his tongue.

“I told you to trust me. Can you taste the chilli?”

Alec nodded.

They continued to feed each other silently, just enjoying the rich flavours. It was only when Alec paused to take a sip of his drink did Magnus notice.

“Alec you have some sauce…just there.” He motioned at the corner of his lip. Magnus watched hungrily as the tip of Alec’s tongue poked out and swept across his bottom lip somehow missing the dab of chocolate that sat just at the corner of his mouth.

Eyes fixed on Alec’s mouth Magnus leant forward and wiped at the sauce with the pad of his thumb, revelling in the feel of Alec’s silky lip beneath his and the way Alec’s breathe fanned across the digit. When he sat back he saw that Alec’s blue eyes had grown dark.

Seeing Magnus staring at him with an almost predatory expression Alec, only blushing slightly,

For once Magnus was the one who had to look away, his gaze dropping to the table. But Alec could still see the smile lingering on his lips.

Magnus continued eating silently while Alec watched him but after a few minutes, and most of the cake gone, Magnus sighed loudly and pushed the plate across the table towards Alec. “You’re going to have to finish it.”

“What?”

“I honestly don’t think I can take another bite-I’d explode.”

Alec rolled his eyes at Magnus’ dramatic words but pulled the plate closer to him anyway. There was no point in letting perfectly good food go to waste and he would burn it all off tomorrow in training anyway.

“My hero.” Magnus cooed, laughing when Alec merely rolled his eyes again, too focused on devouring the delicious cake in front of him.

As if magically sensing a lull in conversation it was at that precise moment the viola player, who had been drifting in and out of the garden all evening, finally made his move. Standing a few feet behind Magnus’ chair he began to softly play a slow, delicate piece of music that Alec, having paused momentarily, did not recognise-though Magnus clearly did and he settled back in his chair, a small smiling playing around the corners of his mouth as his eyelids fluttered closed.

Abandoning the food in front of him Alec chose instead to watch Magnus avidly as he immersed himself in the music.

It was rare for Alec to see Magnus like this: so open and vulnerable. So peaceful and quiet.

He swayed gently in his seat in time to the melody; a few longer strands of hair falling across his closed eyes. Alec wanted to reach over and brush them out of the way but he didn’t want to break Magnus’ relaxed, trance like state.

The piece was long but Alec was perfectly content to just sit there and watch the shadows dance across Magnus’ face: over his high cheekbones and full lips. It never ceased to amaze him how beautiful Magnus was.

Alec was almost sad when the music ended and Magnus’ lids drifted open to reveal his mesmerising eyes once again.

“That was beautiful.” Magnus murmured gently, his expression soft and his eyes still far away.

“I know.” Alec agreed. But he wasn’t talking about the music and his bright blue eyes were still fixed on the warlock’s face. Finally shifting back to reality Magnus met his gaze and smiled sweetly as he realised what Alec had meant.

They sat there for a few moments in a comfortable silence. Not needing to fill the air with words but simply content to sit and admire each other from across the table as insuppressible feelings of love and joy swelled in both their chests.

After a while, rather reluctantly, Magnus broke the silence.

“I feel that now might be an opportune moment for us to make our exit. Before that aggravating waiter returns.” Magnus said standing up and passing a note of some value-Alec couldn’t tell but guessed it was a $50- to the viola player, who smiled and thanked him as he left.

“Good idea.” Alec said, eager to avoid another encounter with that god awful waiter. “But I’m not giving him a tip,” he grumbled. Magnus chuckled as Alec’s disgruntled expression.

When they reached the glass doors both men stopped, looking back over their shoulders to gaze once more at the beautiful scene before them, trying to commit it to memory, before at last turning away and re-entering the building.

As they made their way to front doors the cheerful blonde waiter from earlier waved and called after them: “Come again anytime.”

Alec assured him they would while Magnus continued to guide him through the array of tables. They were silent for a few moments before Magnus took Alec’s hand in his own.

“I had a fabulous time, my darling, I still can’t believe you organised all of this just for our date.”

Alec felt his body grow warm at the praise. “It really was nothing. I just wanted us to have a proper date because we haven’t actually had one yet.”

“You’re so sweet Alexander.” Magnus’ expression grew tender as he stared down at his wonderfully kind and adorable boyfriend-whose cheeks were currently turning a delightful shade of pink.

“Plus it was an excuse to see you in a suit.” Alec even had the guts to wink at Magnus.

“I hope I didn’t disappoint.” Magnus said in mock concern.

“Not. At. All.” Alec’s grin was infectious and both men were smiling as they exited the restaurant and strolled leisurely down the street.

After a few moments Alec pulled away reluctantly.

“I should probably be going back to the Institute now. It’s already late and I know Jace will probably want to train tomorrow and tell me all about his roller blading trip with Clary. Plus if they’re still out it will only be Izzy-and maybe Simon-so…”

Magnus sighed, “Why don’t you come back to mine?”

“I’m sorry Magnus but I can’t.”

“Alec, the others can survive without you for one night. I’m sure demons won’t take over the world in one night.”

Alec bit his lip, his eyebrows furrowed as he considered the offer.

“Magnus I don’t know. What if they need me?”

“Alec you work so hard all the time. I think you deserve a night off,” Magnus purred.

“But-“

“Alexander, come home with me. Please.” Magnus’ voice was low and pleading.

And how could Alec refuse?

“Ok Magnus, I’ll stay with you tonight.

Eyes sparkling Magnus bent down and snatched a quick but firm kiss against Alec’s lips before speaking.

“But I think we’d better get a taxi, it’s going to rain.”

“Using your magic to sense the weather? Cool.”

“Actually I’m just using my eyes.” Magnus said, smirking.

He placed a long finger under Alec’s chin and tilted his head to the sky. The sheet of black above them was filled with thick, dark clouds that rolled leisurely across the sky.

“Oh.”

Magnus wrapped his arm around Alec’s shoulder and managed to hail a taxi almost immediately. They clambered in quickly, snuggling together as they travelled to Magnus’ apartment.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

120K 3.5K 36
Alec is in a toxic relationship with a mundane who treats him like shit. Izzy tries to make him realise the danger he's in by staying with him, but A...
1.9K 62 4
Alec got home into the loft and was shocked when he saw that everything was destroyed but the most shocking thing was that everywhere was blood and M...
5.6K 181 41
》BONUS BOOK ➹ . ➹ After finding a very ancient Angels book, the Lightwood-s and the Blackthorn-s will team up with Magnus Bane and Lucifer, the devi...
64.4K 2K 20
Alexander Lightwood. A reserved, loving, protecive Shadowhunter. Magnus Bane. A confident, glittery, powerful Warlock. These two, somehow, met eachot...