The Heir of Night

By smplymxlfoy

Theia, an Illyrian female, despises her Court. She knows of the High Lord's secret city, and the wealth that... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65 - Nyx
ANNOUCEMENT

24

1.6K 55 9
By smplymxlfoy

Calliope was certainly furious. Theia had hardly gotten the door open before curses were being thrown at her.

"How dare you, child! I pay you to come here, and you leave me for a week! You didn't even tell me! Our busiest days, too!" She was screaming, slamming the metal trays down on the counter. Theia sighed and pulled off her coat, replacing it with the apron. The few customers at the table were staring wide eyed at Theia as she slipped behind the wall and into the kitchen.

"Calli. Calli, please. I can explain, can you just calm down?" The female crossed her arms and glared at Theia. She took in a breath and swallow harshly. She had to speak the words aloud, and she didn't know if she had the strength to do it. She'd have to do it twice today, once for Calli, and once for Elena.

"Out with it!" Calliope urged, smacking the tray again. Theia clenched her jaw and slammed her hand down on the tray so Calli couldn't lift it again. 

"My mother is dead. She died the night after the Solstice. I've been grieving, I just left where I was staying and got back home. I'm sorry I didn't tell you, I didn't tell the tavern either," Theia snapped, anger rising with the words. Calli's eyes widened and the female dropped back a step.

"Oh, Theia, I didn't know. I'm sorry about your mother. Take another day, if you need," she spoke quickly, reaching to hug Theia. She put a hand on the female's shoulder to stop her and shook her head.

"I'm fine. It'll be a nice distraction to work," she murmured, patting Calli's shoulder before returning to the counter. The customers at the tables left. Instead, the High Lord stood at the counter. Theia internally groaned and tapped her fingers on the counter, willing herself not to cower under his stare.

"What can I get you? Our berry pastries are-"

"I heard about your mother. I'm sorry, I did not know. Madja returned to us last night, but Nyx told me when you left the house. I will get together some trainees to repair your house, we can have the roof patched by the time you return home tonight." His voice was low, warmer than she had ever heard him. The kindness in it made her nose burn, and her damned agony made her want to jump the counter and let him take her into his arms.

"Thank you, High Lord, but this is not the place for this discussion. My home is fine, I will repair it on my own. I don't wish for your help any longer, nor Nyx's. I wish to leave it all behind, I'd like to forget my stay at that house and continue my life alone."

She didn't mean to say it all, nor did she mean for her voice to break and tears to flood her eyes. Rhys tilted his head and frowned, reaching a hand out and laying it over hers. Theia bit down on her tongue to stop her sob. She didn't like how her emotions came so suddenly now. She didn't like how his presence reminded her of Maia.

"Come here, Theia. Please."

She was sure that the High Lord rarely pleaded anyone. With wobbly knees, she pulled her hand from his and rounded the bakery counter. She nearly ran when he opened his arms, and slammed into his chest like she'd never experienced a hug before. The High Lord's arms closed around her tightly, his lips pressing into her hair.

"I'm sorry," she whispered into his fine coat that was being ruined with her tears. He shook his head, nose brushing against her hair. 

"I've experienced loss too often to let you go through it without support. Sometimes we just need to know someone is willing to be there for us, right? Don't hesitate to tell Feyre, Nyx, or I if you need someone to be there for you," he spoke softly, his hand running over her shoulder. Theia nodded against him, savoring the paternal touch that she had never experienced before.

"Why are you being kind to me now? Is it pity?" She asked as she stepped back. Perhaps her sorrow had given her the confidence to ask a High Lord something so brave. He frowned again, shoving his hands into his pockets. He didn't want to answer that, she could see it plainly enough. She wiped her cheeks and took in a heavy breath, ready to turn away.

"You remind me of my sister. It's been so long since I've seen her, and she was just as strong headed as you. My mother never brought her to the village when we were older, she'd start a riot if she did. She didn't believe my father was taking care of the issues here, even though he protected my mother from it. I used to get so angry with her when she'd try and fight with our father about the situations.

"He wasn't always kind when he grew angry, and I didn't want her to be at the end of his frustrations. Hearing you bring the issues up brought me back to there, and I don't wish to lie to you, but this village doesn't bring me the kindest of memories. I don't enjoy coming here for my own sake, and I didn't like remembering my sister when you spoke to me. I shouldn't have taken it out on you, I shouldn't have been rude."

Theia stared at the High Lord, unable to comprehend what he was saying. Her brows furrowed, remembering when both he and the Spymaster had been staring her down like they'd kill her any moment during dinner at the Solstice.

"The Spymaster, was he protective of your sister as well?" Rhys blinked, obviously not expecting the question. Slowly, he nodded.

"Azriel is very protective of all females, he hates the injustice here as much as she did. He spoke to me about it, being nervous for you to be so close to our family. He thought it may trigger some bad memories between myself and him, possibly Cassian or Mor as well, but I told him that I didn't think so. I asked about you and Nyx because I noticed that he hadn't been as much of an arrogant kid lately.

"Perhaps it had to do with taking you and your mother under his wing, but he seemed to mature far quicker in those two months than he had any time before. I liked how he was with you, but you reminded me of my sister, then my mother, and it was difficult to handle, if you understand that. I don't dislike you, it's just that memories are a difficult thing when they rise from deep within."

Theia nodded, understanding entirely. She'd experienced that plenty. "I understand, High Lord. I appreciate you taking the time to explain this to me. I should probably get back to work."

Rhys dipped his chin in a nod, offering Theia a small smile as she slipped back around the counter. "I'll take a berry pastry."

Theia grinned at him and grabbed one of the pastries in the glass case, tucking it into a bag. Rhys reached into his pocket but Theia shook her head and slid the bag to him.

"Take it as a thank you for the past two months. Goodbye, High Lord," she spoke with that smile, the first since the Solstice. Rhys bowed his head and left the bakery without another word.

"Just because he's the High Lord, doesn't mean you give him free pastries," Calliope spoke from behind her, smacking her on the head with one of the trays.

"Cauldron, Calli," Theia grumbled, rubbing her head. She continued her shift just as any day, the day dragging along. Once the afternoon hit, Calliope patted Theia on the shoulder and wished her a good day before locking the door behind her. Theia trudged to the tavern, already exhausted. She knew that if there were too many questions, too much interrogation, she'd climb back into that wall of rage. She didn't want to lose her temper with Elena, but the female had a habit of prodding.

She pulled open the back door, immediately met with chatter and dishes clanging. Theia placed her coat onto the rack and slid behind the counter. Elena was busy speaking to a customer, her long legs stretched out as she leaned over the counter. Theia chose to stick to the far end, pouring ale and whiskey for anyone who opened their mouths.

It didn't take long for Elena to march over and grab the collar of her sweater, tugging her back from the counter. "Where the fuck have you been?" The female snarled, obviously using techniques she learned from her brothers. Theia grabbed her wrist and pulled her hand from her sweater, glaring. The rage came back too soon.

"Do not touch me like that," she spat, lifting her chin to meet Elena's eyes.

"You left me alone in this tavern for a week, Theia, with no word! I went to the heir's house and he said you weren't there! Where have you been?"

"My fucking mother died," Theia retorted, shoving Elena's hands away when she reached up for her sweater again. Fury wrapped its cold hand around her spine and drove her into this conversation too quick. Elena's eyes widened, her brows pressing together.

"Your mother? Oh, Theia, I'm so sorry, I had no idea," she cooed, moving to pull Theia in for a hug. Theia dodged her and shrugged, slowing her breath to calm the claws in her mind.

"It's alright, I'm fine. I don't want to talk about it any longer, okay?"

Elena nodded, offering a sympathetic smile before turning back to the customers. Theia sighed and stepped up to the counter. She filled more ale, more whiskey, collecting more coin. There were far more people tonight than she had hoped. Of course, Nyx was within the crowd. Smartly, he had ordered from Elena.

Theia couldn't help but watch him as she handed a glass of ale to a customer, gasping when a hand closed over hers. She snapped her eyes back to the male who was taking the glass. Her gaze was met with a wide grin and dark eyes, a strong jaw and classically handsome face.

"Your name?"

She licked her lips, glancing down at the large hand on her own. Was this flirting? Would this end the same as last time? Her heart pounded as she met his eyes again.

"Theia. Yours?" His grin grew wider as he leaned over the counter again.

"Felix," he responded, leaning his elbows on the counter. Theia hesitated, unsure if she should entertain him. Her eyes flicked to Nyx, who was across the bar but watching her just as carefully. She took in a heavy breath and met Felix's eyes again.

She lived a new life now, one of independence and solidarity. She could go home with this male, not have to return to her own home until the next day, and more than likely bathe at his house. He looked clean, a finely made jacket. He'd do fine, she'd just have to play it smart.

"Are you alone tonight, Felix?" She cooed, leaning forward. His hand tightened around hers on the glass, his tongue sliding across his bottom lip.

"Hopefully not for long," he retorted, brushing his thumb over hers. Theia flushed, her naivety playing into her innocent act. Just play along, and there will be a warm bed to sleep in tonight and warm bath in the morning.

"I'm out of here when it clears. Meet me at the back door?" Theia spoke softly, her bravery faltering when his breath kissed her skin. Felix bit down on his lip and nodded, scanning her face again.

"I'll see you later then?" Theia nodded, grinning at him. Felix leaned over the counter further to press a kiss to her cheek before sliding back and taking his ale into the crowd.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

42.9K 770 62
Azriel had thought his mate was dead for centuries. But when the Spymaster of the Night Court learns that there's a chance that his mate, and his Hig...
63.2K 2.3K 52
Lucien returns to Velaris after the war with Hybern, full of anxiety about being so near to Elain. He tries to find a place among Rhysand's Inner Cir...
2.9K 48 18
April is the daughter of Tamlin and the heir of the Spring Court. She knows her father has a bad history with the Night Court, but the version of eve...
592K 22K 71
During the first war against Hybern 500 years in the past, the daughter of the night court journeys through the difficult life of being a female warr...