In My Skin

Per KaraTales

Taylor West is the epitome of self-reliance. Or she must be. Relationships are fickle. Despite finally enroll... Més

Author's note
Ch 1 || The Party
Ch 2 || The New Guy
Ch 3 || Doubts
CH 4 || Braids and Worries
CH 5 || A Good Friend and His Sidekick
Ch 6 || At the Lake
CH 7 || Sherlock
CH 8 || His Suffering Face is the Best
CH 9 || Backlash
CH 10 || Fairy tales
CH 11 || Only A Single Regret
CH 12 || Just A Little Mistake
CH 13 || Owing Favors
CH 14 || Repaying Favors
CH 15 || Red Alert
CH 16 || Abandoned Puppies
CH 17 || Halloween Part I
CH 18 || Halloween Part II
CH 19 || Halloween Part III
CH 20 || Halloween Part IV
CH 21 || Library
CH 22 || Out of Bounds
CH 23 || Girl's Night
CH 25 || Too Cold Without a Jacket
CH 26 || New Years
CH 27 || The Whole Night?
CH 28 || Hedgehogs and Pigeons
Ch 29 || Pranks and Secrets
CH 30 || Killy
Ch 31 || Papers and Cuts
CH 32 || Mr. Pokerface
CH 33 || Drowning
CH 34 || Avoid at all Costs
CH 35 || Friends
CH 36 || Spy Stuff
CH 37 || A Terrible Friend
CH 38 || Late-Night Run
CH 39 || This One Stinks
CH 40 || Flashing Lights on Campus
CH 41 || The Quiet Before The Storm
CH 42 || Done With the Lecture, Professor?
CH 43 || Aliens and Saints
CH 44 || My Baby
CH 45 || Sleep On The Couch
CH 46 || Rules
CH 47 || Potential Wells
CH 48 || Hypocrite
CH 49 || A Taste of His Own Medicine
CH 50 || Perfectly Sob
CH 51 || The Dermatologists Are On A Different Floor
CH 52 || The Monster Beneath My Skin
CH 53 || Intervention
CH 54 || His Inner Grumpy Grandpa
CH 55 || The Problem With Plans
CH 56 || Good Plan
CH 57 || One Job
CH 58 || Not Going Anywhere
CH 59 || Love Language
Epilogue || Best Friend
Final Thoughts
Aesthetics

CH 24 || Temper

1.1K 49 242
Per KaraTales

At least Mick had the decency to drop his gaze. "Stay out of this, Taylor. It has nothing to do with you," he mumbled into his glass.

I took a step forward and planted my feet. "You guys are broadcasting your conversation so loudly, I think the grandma down the street has an opinion by now. It's always the ones that talk the loudest that have the most to hide..." I trailed off, sending Derrick a pointed look.

Mick's jaw tightened. "Why do you even care?" he clipped out. "You hate him."

Oh, he'd heard that, huh? I crossed my arms. "So? It's still a pain to listen to your obnoxious rambling. Funny how you conveniently left out the part where you and your buddies ganged up on Killian before Halloween. Four to one, right? Real brave of you."

Mick bristled at my words but I wasn't done.

"I don't see how that's anything to brag about," I continued, my voice dripping with sarcasm, "but I guess taking two buddies with you must have been too scary, so you needed the extra backup, right?"

The conversations around us died down. A flush crept over Mick's neck. Derrick's eyes narrowed to slits.

"None of your business," Mick ground out at the same time as Derrick asked, "Who the hell are you?"

"Well, you made it my business since I'm the one being forced to listen to you guys getting off by spouting the biggest bunch of bullshit I have ever heard. Your inferiority complex must be gigantic."

A muscle jumped along Derrick's neck. He moved forward, right in my personal space, his huge frame looming over me. Some of the beer in his hand spilled and a few drops landed on my sleeves.

I lifted my chin. Maybe it was the wine talking. Maybe it was all the times I'd let people walk all over me. But for some reason, I didn't feel like backing down.

Alicia quickly stepped between us. "Wait, Derrick, she didn't mean it like that—"

I gave her a blank stare. "What are you talking about? Of course, I meant it."

Mick glanced between Derrick and me but stayed where he was. "I told you to stay out of it."

"Why? So you can trash-talk other people in peace? Don't like it if someone ruins your little show here? It's not like you were trying to be low-key. People heard you bitching about Killian the whole night." My eyes locked with Derrick's clearly hostile ones. Somehow my mouth just kept going. "Sounds like some major crush to me."

His face turned bright red. He reached out and clasped my shoulder in a tight grip. "What did you say?"

My pulse sped up, but I stood my ground. "What? Was that too close for comfort? You have nothing to say so your last resort is that you're stronger than me?"

"Come on, Derrick. Let go of her," Alicia said. "You don't know her."

He released me, took a step back, and gave me a head-to-toe. "You're feisty. I like it. Maybe we can work something out."

My shoulder throbbed. "I don't think so."

Derrick crowded me again. The smell of beer hit me in the face as he spoke in a hushed tone, "Let's take this someplace a little more private, honey."

I made various gagging noises inside my head. Yeah, he would fit right into Chris' group of friends, alright. I was so sick of guys like this. Fuck taking this crap. So many times I'd swallowed down my anger, my embarrassment. He wanted to play? Sure. Two could play that game.

My eyes roamed over his body, lingering a tad longer around his midsection. "No, thank you."

He raised an eyebrow.

"This conversation has been disappointing enough."

"Bitch," he muttered low, sneering at me. "Do you like Killian? Is that it? Let me give you a piece of advice then. He doesn't love girls. He only plays with them. His mother fucked him up so badly he hates every girl there is."

Surprisingly, his words found a mark, hitting me somewhere below my chest. Killian had said he didn't care about me before, but... I shook my head. That didn't make sense anymore. Why would he go to such lengths if that were true?

"Ah, now I understand. Thank you for clearing that up," I said, pretending to mull them over.

He smirked. "I knew you would see reas—"

"That every single word coming out of your mouth is complete bull," I cut him off. "You're obviously just blinded by jealousy. Or maybe this is your twisted way of coming out? I mean, I don't think you went more than two minutes tonight without mentioning his name."

Derrick's smile disappeared in a flash and I watched with sick satisfaction as the color spread under his skin until he resembled an overgrown tomato.

"I really don't understand," I continued. "Is it that interesting to talk about him? Do you keep a Killian diary at home? How about you go and write in that instead of bothering everyone else with your lovesick moaning."

Derrick stilled, a vein throbbing against his forehead. His nostrils flared.

The whole bar had grown so quiet you could hear a pin drop.

He lunged at me. It felt as if somebody had turned down the volume and then cranked it up to full. There were shouts and a scream rang out. I staggered backward his hand inches from my face. An arm snaked around my waist and I was hauled to the side.

My back was crushed against a hard chest. I inhaled sharply and was met with a mix of sandalwood and soap. My legs shook and I blinked, tasting blood. I must have bit my tongue.

Then out of nowhere, Cody appeared in front of us, forcing Derrick to step back. Wait. What was Cody doing here?

"I didn't think you could sink any lower than you already have but I guess I was wrong," a deadly calm voice spoke close to my ear, sending goosebumps down my neck. "Hitting a girl..."

I didn't need to turn around to check who it was. Alicia stood on the side, her mouth open and her eyes wide.

"Look who's here." Derrick scowled, his chest heaving up and down. "Your little whore here called you or what?"

Killian went solid. As in he practically turned to stone.

"You think you're so great, huh?" Derrick continued. "You're always hiding behind Cody like the coward you are."

My temper flared again. That was just about enough. I struggled against Killian's hold but his arm felt like iron around my waist.

Everything happened at once. Killian lifted me again and switched our position. Cody growled, snatched Derricks's arm, did some weird martial arts thing, and flung him to the ground.

I peeked around the wall that was Killian, feeling strange. Chris had never defended me and he'd been my boyfriend. Killian and I weren't even friends. But it was his back filling my vision, shielding me from Derrick.

My arms twitched and I had to fight the sudden urge to wrap them around him.

Derrick cursed loudly. "See? You're just hiding," he shouted. "Like that little bitch behind you!" He tried to get up but Cody had him pinned.

I tried to side-step, but Killian moved with me. I tried his other side, but he blocked me again. I put my hands on his waist. He tensed at my touch, and I quickly sneaked out from his left side. He didn't stop me this time.

"Killy?" Alicia called out of nowhere. I was momentarily blinded by the angelic smile on her face. "I haven't seen you since you got back," she continued.

Killian stiffened but didn't respond.

Weird.

"Don't tell me he was running his mouth?" Cody asked with a glance at me, cold fury swimming in his brown eyes. "What nonsense was he talking about?"

"Oh—" I stopped. Was it suddenly so hot in here? "Um...It was nothing, let's just go—"

"You." Derrick glared at Killian. "You think you're so much better than us?"

Killian barked out a laugh. "You never learn, do you?" He shook his head. Then he strode forward. As if they'd practiced beforehand, Cody let go and stepped back. Killian grasped Derrick's arm, hauled him up, and got right in his face. Killian said something but the words were too quiet for me to hear. Derrick's reaction was very clear though. He blanched, his mouth falling open.

Killian turned around and the cold fury in his eyes disappeared.

I gaped at him. What the hell had he said to Derrick?

Hands went to my shoulders and spun me around, ushering me out of the room.

"You really walked into that one yourself," I heard Cody's frigid tone before the door closed and we were outside.

I shut my eyes and enjoyed the icy blast slapping against my heated face.

"Relax, princess. You did enough." Killian's hands nudged my own. It took me a second to realize that mine were still balled into fists. It took me another few seconds to unclench them.

"Oh." I swayed on my feet. My fingers trembled and I tucked them under my arms.

"She's gonna crash any second," Cody said from somewhere behind us.

"I know." Killian tucked me against his side and half-pulled, half-carried me down to the parking lot.

"I'm g-good." I frowned at my weak voice. Something felt wrong. I shivered and clung to his arm. I didn't like this...

"Don't worry. That's the adrenaline rush wearing off," Killian said in that soothingly calm tone of his.

"Wait!" a female voice shouted. Alicia ran up to us. "Can you give me a ride? I tried to stop them earlier. I don't want to stay there—" Her eyes fell on our position. My whole body was flush against Killian's, his arm wrapped tightly around me.

I really wanted to roll my eyes at her words but held it in. Instead, I moved out of Killian's hold. My legs wobbled and his hand immediately moved to my back, putting light pressure on it. Okay. I was standing on my own. No problem.

"Sure," he said after exchanging a quick glance with Cody.

"Thank you." She sounded relieved. "I was so scared back then, Derrick is a total maniac..."

She kept on talking, but I tuned her out. Somehow she made it seem as if she was the one defending his honor. On top of that, she repeatedly flashed Killian a shy smile. The only thing missing was a glowing halo behind her head. I could even picture it in my mind. Not that it mattered. I hadn't done it for Killian. I definitely hadn't.

"Why were you even with them in the first place?" his voice cut through her ramblings.

She paled, her wide eyes briefly flickering to me. "I went to investigate."

Investigate? Investigate what?

Killian's tone dropped. "I told you to stay out of it. I'll handle this."

She hung her head. Long strands of blond hair flew across her delicate face. "But you got hurt. I wanted to help..."

I felt like I was watching a play where I'd somehow zoned out in the middle and was now missing crucial information to understand the character's actions.

Cody unlocked his car. "Get in."

Alicia glanced at us and then hopped into the back seat.

That meant I could sit in front and let Killian and her sit together, or sit with her myself. A bitter taste filled my mouth. Fuck it.

I went for the passenger side. Killian could deal with her. I'd done enough.

His arm reached past my face and he opened the door while his other hand held me in place. "Catch you in a bit, right?"

Cody nodded.

Killian shut the door again and pulled me back. Alicia's mouth dropped and then Cody wheeled out of the parking lot and his rear lights disappeared down the street.

My breath hitched. We were alone.

Continua llegint

You'll Also Like

140K 5.1K 47
In which two competitive culinary students get under each other's skin in all the right ways. * * * ʙᴏɪʟɪɴɢ ᴘᴏɪɴᴛ (ɴᴏᴜɴ): ᴛʜᴇ ᴘᴏɪɴᴛ ᴀᴛ ᴡʜɪᴄʜ ᴀɴɢᴇʀ ᴏʀ...
1.7K 336 46
𝐓𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬𝐞𝐞 𝐉. 𝐖𝐚𝐥𝐬𝐡 wasn't actually born in Tennessee. He grew up forty miles south of the border, in a Mississippi river-town. He live...
238 16 9
•Klea Carpenter just got accepted in her dream university, where her best friend studies as well. Everything goes smooth until one day, her rival is...