In My Skin

By KaraTales

Taylor West is the epitome of self-reliance. Or she must be. Relationships are fickle. Despite finally enroll... More

Author's note
Ch 1 || The Party
Ch 2 || The New Guy
Ch 3 || Doubts
CH 4 || Braids and Worries
CH 5 || A Good Friend and His Sidekick
Ch 6 || At the Lake
CH 7 || Sherlock
CH 8 || His Suffering Face is the Best
CH 9 || Backlash
CH 10 || Fairy tales
CH 11 || Only A Single Regret
CH 12 || Just A Little Mistake
CH 13 || Owing Favors
CH 14 || Repaying Favors
CH 15 || Red Alert
CH 16 || Abandoned Puppies
CH 17 || Halloween Part I
CH 18 || Halloween Part II
CH 19 || Halloween Part III
CH 20 || Halloween Part IV
CH 21 || Library
CH 22 || Out of Bounds
CH 24 || Temper
CH 25 || Too Cold Without a Jacket
CH 26 || New Years
CH 27 || The Whole Night?
CH 28 || Hedgehogs and Pigeons
Ch 29 || Pranks and Secrets
CH 30 || Killy
Ch 31 || Papers and Cuts
CH 32 || Mr. Pokerface
CH 33 || Drowning
CH 34 || Avoid at all Costs
CH 35 || Friends
CH 36 || Spy Stuff
CH 37 || A Terrible Friend
CH 38 || Late-Night Run
CH 39 || This One Stinks
CH 40 || Flashing Lights on Campus
CH 41 || The Quiet Before The Storm
CH 42 || Done With the Lecture, Professor?
CH 43 || Aliens and Saints
CH 44 || My Baby
CH 45 || Sleep On The Couch
CH 46 || Rules
CH 47 || Potential Wells
CH 48 || Hypocrite
CH 49 || A Taste of His Own Medicine
CH 50 || Perfectly Sob
CH 51 || The Dermatologists Are On A Different Floor
CH 52 || The Monster Beneath My Skin
CH 53 || Intervention
CH 54 || His Inner Grumpy Grandpa
CH 55 || The Problem With Plans
CH 56 || Good Plan
CH 57 || One Job
CH 58 || Not Going Anywhere
CH 59 || Love Language
Epilogue || Best Friend
Final Thoughts
Aesthetics

CH 23 || Girl's Night

1.1K 45 231
By KaraTales

Pausing at the bottom of the stairs, I took in the large living room before me. To my left, a sprawling couch in a soft beige material sat next to a large fireplace made of dark gray bricks. The flickering flames cast a warm glow across the fluffy red carpet that covered one-third of the room. On the other side, a huge window front offered a view of the pristine-white garden. At the far end, people milled at the doorway that lead into the kitchen and the long mahogany table that dominated the space.

The whole mansion was massive. I hadn't known Cody was rich, but the house just screamed money. Suz and I shared a room, while the guys all had their own. Not that I minded. Especially since it connected to our own personal bathroom.

So far the vacation had been an absolute blast. Suzy had taken it upon herself to decide every night's dinner which was of course gluten and dairy free and nobody questioned it. I wasn't sure if anyone even noticed.

Cody and Killian were surprisingly popular. Every night the house filled with people. Apparently, Killian had transferred here in high school, and suddenly his snowboard skills weren't as surprising anymore. 

"Hey Cody," a big, somewhat burly guy hollered into the kitchen, loud enough for everyone to hear. "We are in for New Year's right?" 

In the next moment, Suzy materialized in front of me. The long-sleeved pink dress flowed over dark gray tights and sleek winter boots. Her dark eyes swept over my black-knit sweater dress and high boots. Apparently, jeans and a loose hoodie hadn't been the proper attire for a girl's night out.

She clapped her hands and jumped. "Nice. Let's get going, shall we?"

"Sure, let's go."

Like some kids hiding from their parents, we sneaked out through the back and ran down the street, slipping and stumbling over the slick sidewalks while giggling to ourselves.  

The entire street was blanketed in a thick layer of snow, and despite the holiday season being over, the twinkling Christmas lights still shone brightly, casting the town into a warm, magical glow. I couldn't help but smile, taking in the wintry scene before me.

"So..." Suz started and my stomach fluttered at the suggestive tone. "You and Killian..."

"There's nothing going on," I blurted out.

She chuckled. "You finally seem to get along these days is what I was going to say."

I backpedaled. "I mean yeah. There's no point in hating each other since we are on the same vacation. It would be kind of ungrateful to Cody don't you think?"

She wiggled her brows. "I see. So, because of Cody, huh?"

I gnashed my teeth. "Yes. What else would it be?"

"I don't know," she trailed off with a pointed look.

Ugh.

"Can we like not talk about the guys tonight? I thought this was supposed to be a break for us to hang out."

She lifted her hands. "Alright. Fine, fine." 

After walking around for a bit, we found a fairly big pub that wasn't too crowded and settled around a small booth a bit in the back.

Thankfully, Suzy didn't mention the guys again. Instead, her eyes scanned the menu and then she ordered five different types of wine. "You don't have to drink or anything," she said quickly when I arched my brow at her. "Just pretend. So I don't look like an alcoholic."

"I didn't know you like wine," I said and tried to make sense of the different types that they offered. I could distinguish between red and white at least.

She coughed and proclaimed in a poetic voice, "A wise man once said; Beer is made by men. Wine is made by God. It's a true benefit for the soul. It's made to be tasted, not to be drunken in excess."

"Um...sure."

She plunged into the different types of wines, her favorites—Primitivo—and what food to eat. Her knowledge was so detailed my fingers itched to try for myself. I hadn't had a flare for weeks. It was just one night. One night I wanted to feel normal and enjoy a good drink with my friend.

"If I'd wanna try, which one should I start with?" I asked slowly.

Her eyes lit up. "This one. We can order more if you want. I mean we don't have to finish all of them."

I took a sip from the dark red liquid and scrunched up my face. "That's so dry."

"Oh yeah, you're a beginner, I should have kept that in mind. Try this one instead." She pushed another cup towards me, the color slightly more transparent than the previous one.

My taste buds exploded when a rich flavor of something berry and alcoholic tinged with sweetness. Warmth spread through my body. "This one is pretty good."

"Right? I know exactly what else you can try—" Her phone lit up with a call from Nick. She gave me a worried glance. "Is it okay if I take this?"

I waved her off. "Take your time."

She slid out of the booth and I was left alone with the collection of wine glasses. Now I looked like an alcoholic.

Behind the window, snowflakes drifted through the night. This promised great conditions for tomorrow. I rested my back against the cushioned wall and took another sip. Did Killian notice that we left? We had a key so it should be fine.

Wait...

I buried my head inside my palms. Why was I thinking about the guys again? Especially Killian? Damn it. I had been around him too much lately.

I had to admit, he wasn't as bad as I'd initially thought. But still. After the holidays, I should keep my distance.

An unfamiliar voice caught my attention. "Killian—"

Now I started hearing things. My eyes narrowed on the half-empty glass of wine in front of me. I had really become a lightweight.

"...and then Killian..." the same voice continued.

What?

The conversation grew louder and I turned around to see the big burly guy I'd seen at the house earlier. To my surprise, he stood next to a strangely familiar guy with short brown hair and a round face. Mick. Seeing one of Chris' acquaintances out here was odd.

"You two never really got along, right, Derrick?" Mick asked.

Burly Guy frowned. "Yeah. I don't like his attitude. He's always all high and mighty."

Did I...miss something? Was this the same guy who'd wanted to be invited for New Year's?

"I know, man," Mick said. "But, he got what he deserved on Halloween."

Frowning, I shifted in my seat. It reminded me of all times I'd endured Chris' friends. God, I hated people like that.

Derrick bit out a cold laugh. "Really? What happened?"

"Let's just say he pissed off the wrong people this time." Mick snickered. "He wasn't so confident anymore after we were done with him."

"Finally. I could take him on myself, but Cody is always around. They would just gang up on me. In a fair fight, he wouldn't stand a chance."

Sure, buddy.

Since Killian nearly busted four guys by himself, I had an inkling about who Cody's training partner was. But this was none of my business.

"He's just a show-off," Derrick added.

"I know," Mick grumbled.

I twirled the glass in my hand and took another sip. Somehow the taste fell flat.

"Well, he should know not to stick his nose into things that aren't his business." Mick continued in a booming voice. "Who does he think he is, asking around about what happened with Hazel? The fucking moral police?"

"The bitch who did everything you wanted?" Derrick asked and laughed loudly. "So, how do they know each other?"

"That's the thing; I have no idea."

"Just like his father then. Fucking pussies, both of them."

Their loud voices carried through the small pub as if they wanted to be heard. I kind of hoped somebody would complain. Other people already shot annoyed looks at the group, but nobody spoke up. I looked at the exits. Didn't Suz say she'd be right back?

"Guys, please." A feeble voice interrupted them. A girl not much taller than me with long flowing blond hair so light I immediately wondered if it was dyed or natural, raised her hands as if trying to appease them. "He's not that bad."

Derrick gentled his voice. "I know you guys have history but you need to see him for who he is at some point."

I tapped my fingers against the wooden table. History?

The blond girl bit her lip and dropped her head. "But... You know what happened with his family. Cut him some slack."

Why the hell would she mention Killian's family now?

"Oh, yeah, nearly forgot about that. That doesn't mean he can poke around everyone's business. Doesn't surprise me though that his mom ditched them for some rich guy. Maybe that's why he has issues about the girl or something."

I downed the rest of my wine, pocketed my phone, and stood. They were clearly drunk. I should look for Suz and get out of here.

"Right," Mick said. "Did you know his dad transferred to Portland?"

"Really?" Derrick asked, surprised. "He's probably too ashamed to show his face around here."

I clenched my jaw. Big talk for someone who acted all buddy-buddy a few hours ago. They were clearly the ones with issues but whatever. It was time to leave. I looked at my feet. They didn't move.

The girl spoke up again. "No, you misunderstood. That's not what I—"

"You're just too nice, Alicia. The whole family is a piece of work. Or..." His hand stroked over his chin. "Maybe there was a different reason his mom ran away."

"No...that rumor wasn't true. They cleared that up," Alicia said in a small voice, lowering her head.

For fuck's sake. This was getting ridiculous. Was she defending Killian or feeding the flames?

"Right. The traitor," Derrick bellowed. "They buried it pretty fast when he got cleared but you never know. There must have been a reason the rumors started in the first place. Or maybe, maybe he touched his wife. It fits, doesn't it? It's always the quiet ones that are violent at home..."

Heat flooded my veins and my hands fisted at my side.

"No, he wouldn't..." Alicia started again, but her voice was barely audible above the hushed whispers that rose around us.

Derrick surveyed their audience with a triumphant smile. "See? Misunderstanding, sure. If Killian defends his dad he's probably just like him. Maybe the girl was his victim and he wanted to make sure she never told."

Something hard and heavy settled in my stomach. I closed my eyes and gritted my teeth. Memories played through my mind. Killian, who called me out for staying with Chris when he obviously didn't care. Killian crouching in front of me, his hazel eyes steady and calm as he called me an idiot for being on my own. Killian carrying me through the forest. Killian leading me to his car, my body shivering from the cold. Killian hugging me when I was trembling with fear.

"Like father like son, I tell you—"

My eyes snapped open and before I could think too much, my own clear voice rang loud inside the pub. "I think you are misunderstanding something. So, I have a suggestion. How about you all"—I pointed at each of them individually—"shut the hell up."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.1K 263 46
Killian had been away in California for two long years, but now he was back in his hometown of Nevada. His best friend Bree was about to start her...
171K 6.3K 58
𝐒𝐨𝐩𝐡𝐢𝐚 𝐂𝐥𝐚𝐫𝐤 is smart, quiet, shy and beautiful. She joined crystal high sophomore year and soon won the hearts of all teachers with her...
92 7 5
Enemies to lovers trope 16 year old Lily was struggling. You'd think that living in the always-sunny California and being the 5'2 brunette with green...
145K 5.3K 47
In which two competitive culinary students get under each other's skin in all the right ways. * * * ʙᴏɪʟɪɴɢ ᴘᴏɪɴᴛ (ɴᴏᴜɴ): ᴛʜᴇ ᴘᴏɪɴᴛ ᴀᴛ ᴡʜɪᴄʜ ᴀɴɢᴇʀ ᴏʀ...