The Heir of Night

By smplymxlfoy

Theia, an Illyrian female, despises her Court. She knows of the High Lord's secret city, and the wealth that... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65 - Nyx
ANNOUCEMENT

11

2.1K 65 13
By smplymxlfoy

Theia perched herself atop the stool, mouth watering at the smell of the food. She didn't remember the last time she had a meal like this, and didn't want to make a fool of herself by diving in. She waited until Nyx sat beside her and began using the knife and fork to cut his steak.

"Has my mother eaten?" Theia asked, feeling guilty that the thought hadn't crossed her mind before she debating eating this meal whole. Nyx nodded as he shoved a piece of steak between his lips.

"Madja brought it to her earlier."

At his confirmation that Theia wasn't taking precious food from her mother, she began to cut into the steak. Her hand hesitated before putting the meat on her tongue, trembling slightly. This was surely the first of many great meals, but was this her acceptance of Nyx's lifestyle? Was this another way of showing her appreciation of his wealth?

"Go ahead and eat, Theia. There's no harm in feeding yourself," Nyx murmured with a mouthful. Her eyes shot to him, though he was looking at his plate with a look of disinterest. She sighed and placed the steak into her mouth. Immediately, her body felt as though she'd melt into the floor. More flavor than she had ever tasted, warmer than anything she'd ever eaten. If this is how the wealthy eat, maybe she could accept their lifestyle. Before she finished the first bite, Theia shoved another into her mouth.

She couldn't help her groan, or the way she leaned back in the chair as she chewed. Even the fresh pastries at the bakery couldn't compete with this delicacy. Next, she dove into the vegetables. At some point, her legs curled up onto the stool seat and she was hunched over the plate like some feral beast. When the plate fell empty, Theia had to restrain herself from licking the remnants from the ceramic.

"I'd offer more, but surely your stomach can't handle anything else," Nyx spoke, a smile teasing his lips. Theia nearly forgot he was beside her in the moments of ecstasy, her body jolting at the sound of his voice. He spoke the truth. When the high of glorious food settled, the ache began. Her stomach was stretched more than it had been in over a decade.

"Cauldron," Theia groaned, placing a hand over her stomach and leaning back. The cramping was agony, though her tongue craved more. Never had she been so eager to practically rupture her organs by devouring warm food.

"I should've made you slow down, I'm sorry," Nyx spoke again. Theia clenched her jaw, glancing at the wine.

"Can I just have water?" Nyx rose from his seat immediately, setting his empty wine glass down on the counter. Theia looked down at her wool shirt, seeing her stomach bulge in it. She had never been this full in her life, even as a babe when she drank from Maia. Her mother had never been well nourished at any point in Theia's life, and as a baby, she had to get sustenance from other things. Penelope had always taken it upon herself to feed Theia scraps from meat, juices from vegetables, and lots of broth.

Nyx placed a glass of water in front of Theia and she took it. Taking small sips, she looked up at him. He was standing beside her chair, grinning down at her. "This would be a lot less demeaning if you'd stop watching me," she mumbled into the glass. She watched his cheek dip as though he bit it in order not to laugh and turned to grab the wine glass meant for her. He finished it in three swallows, gathered his own empty glass, and placed them into the sink.

When Theia finished her water, he took her glass and the plates and set them in the sink as well. She slid from the stool and practically waddled to the stairs. "If you'd like to bathe, my mother left clothes for you in the wardrobe in your mother's room."

Her eyes turned to the heir. He walked up beside her, motioning up the stairs. She began to climb, body warming at the thought of a bath like the one she had the night before. When she made to turn into her mother's room, Nyx caught her arm. Theia met his eyes, feeling as though she needed to cower under their weight.

"If you don't wish to share a bed with your mother, there are extra blankets in the closet. You can sleep on the couch, or I can." Theia gave a nod and slid her arm from his touch. Her skin was immediately cold without the warmth of his fingers. She didn't give him another glance as she opened the door and slid into her mother's bedroom.

Maia was in the same spot she had been the week before. Though, the lack of odor told Theia that her mother at least left the bed to use the bathing chamber now. "Mama," she whispered, hearing the steady breaths that hinted at deep sleep. Maia didn't answer. Theia chewed on her lip as she turned to the wardrobe, remembering that the healer lived in this room with Maia.

Her eyes turned to the cot in front of the fireplace. As expected, Madja was laid beneath a heap of blankets, wrinkled eyes closed and shoulders moving in time with her breath. Sighing, Theia pulled the wardrobe open and took in the contents. Soft, rich fabrics were hung in line, thicker wool folded and placed atop the shelf. Her hand reached for what looked like silk, hand pausing before she reached it. Too fine for rough hands. Theia didn't like that she found these clothes too nice for her body, but it was all she had that was clean.

She grabbed the nightgown from its hanger, hanging it over her arm. Her eyes fell to the drawers beneath the shelves and she dropped to her knees. Pulling them open, she found that they were full of undergarments. Silk, lace, all fabrics. Running with her new theme, Theia collected the silk and placed it on top of the nightgown. Finished with her scavenging, Theia rose and left the room.

Her eyes crossed the landing to Nyx's bedroom door, closed and only silence within. Tearing her eyes away, Theia slipped into the bathing chamber. Alongside the wall was a large tub, beside the door was a vanity and a sink, and along the wall between was a toilet. It was simple, yet just as elegant as the bathing chamber in the High Lord and High Lady's home. She laid the silk fabrics on the vanity and began stripping out of her worn wool clothing.

Along the empty wall was a stand of shelves and a basket beside it. Theia padded over to it, peering inside. There were clothes dropped in, probably for washing. Theia placed her own clothes into the basket and looked around the shelf. It had soaps, cloths, towels, everything you'd need to bathe. She grabbed a cloth, a towel, and selected a floral scented soap. She placed them on the small table beside the tub, turned on the faucet, and turned, nearly stumbling back in shock.

A full length mirror was hung onto the wall, giving those who bathed in the tub full view of themselves. Theia stared at herself in horror. She didn't have a mirror in her own home, and rarely knew what she looked like. It wasn't a pleasant sight. Completely nude, her eyes stared wide at her body.

She wasn't as frail and gangly as her mother, though she wasn't full and muscled like the females in the war camp. Her stomach bulged painfully, looking as though she had a full babe in her womb. It looked strange against her carved ribs and boned thighs, though those didn't look quite right either. Her breasts had never grown much when she matured, either. She had never needed to use a brassier like some of the other females she knew.

Regretfully, Theia stepped closer. Her face resembled her mother's far more than her body did. Her cheek bones were hollowed with deep shadows; her hazel eyes dulled to flat color, surrounded in purple and red. Her dark hair laid flat on top of her head, broken ends fraying around her face. She looked as close to death as one could be as they still breathed. She grimaced and turned away, choosing to climb into the tub with her back to the mirror.

With the hot water up to her shoulders and the liquid soap being poured in, Theia felt like she could allow herself to relax. She sat in the water with her eyes closed for a long while, until it began to cool. Finally, she slid back and dipped her head beneath the water. The tub was large enough that even with her wings, she could practically float without touching the edges. She scrubbed her scalp, feeling the suds soak into her hair. After rinsing, she took the cloth and ran it along her skin until it felt as clean as the night before.

Even if she didn't have a place to sleep or clean clothes, Theia would settle for a thorough bath every day as her own form of wealth. She climbed out and began to drain the tub, running the soft towel over herself to dry. When she pulled on the silk undergarment and sleeping gown, which had not been tailored for her wings so she had to step into it, though the back was low enough that it did not touch the base, Theia began to look through the lotions and oils on the shelves.

She opened a jar containing the whipped moisturizing cream and slathered it over her legs and arms. It smelled of vanilla and spices, a stark contrast to the soft floral of the soap. When there was nothing left to pamper herself with, Theia opened the bathing chamber door. Her heart launched into her throat when she walked into a tall body. Hands caught her arms before she could stumble backwards.

"I'm sorry, I thought you'd have been done by now." Her gaze rose from Nyx's bare chest to his face, her cheeks heating. Still, she made no move to leave his grip. She felt his thumb run over her freshly moisturized skin, her breath hitching at the touch. Embarrassment flooded her when she couldn't stop her eyes from dropping back to the tattoos across his chest and shoulders, nor the cut muscle of his torso. Her mouth ran dry when she brought her eyes back to his. They were dark, yet shining as they watched her observe his body.

Before she could step back, his own eyes dropped to the loose nightgown on her body. His fingers pressed slightly harder into her arms, his tongue running across his bottom lip. The action sent shivers running down her spine and heat rising in her stomach. It was too many emotions to file through, and it frightened her. Theia cleared her throat and braved herself to slide between Nyx and the doorframe. She finally let out a breath when his hands left her skin and she stood freely in the corridor.

"Sorry," she murmured, turning and hurrying into her mother's bedroom. When the door closed, she leaned against it with a heavy breath. Whatever that had been, she hadn't been expecting it. She had never been the holder of male attention, not positively, anyway. The only males that had given her a heated look were those that had far too many glasses of whiskey and were attracted to the female that continued to feed alcohol to them. Never had she been close enough for their touch, nor for her to be under such weight of their attention.

With another loosened breath, Theia padded to the side of the bed. "Mama?" Maia didn't respond, heavily under the influence of sleep. Theia made to climb in, but the thought of being so close to the female that left her caused another sensation in her stomach. It hurt, but not like it had when she ate too much. It ached like it was empty, like she was empty. Theia gathered a pillow from the bed and tucked it beneath her arm. She left the bedroom, keeping her gaze from the bathing chamber door, and collected a blanket from the closet.

With that, she was down the stairs and laying a bed for herself on the couch. It was far from comfortable, but better than what she had back home. She laid on her side, pinning a wing beneath her and the other hung over her body like a shield. She didn't sleep as well as she had in Velaris, though in increments, she slept hard and deeply.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.1K 55 17
˚    ✦   .  .   ˚ .      . ✦     ˚     . ★⋆.   .     ˚     *     ✦   .  .   ✦ ˚      ˚ .˚    ✦   .  .   ˚ .           The youngest Archeron daughter...
7.7K 201 21
Amaris is the daughter of the High Lord and Lady of the Night Court. And like her parents, she is capable of wielding great and powerful magic. When...
58.2K 1.3K 17
Azriel, the spymaster of the Night Court, one of the most powerful Illyrians to walk Prythian. He was damaged, he was broken, and he thought himself...
23K 281 7
A group of fic's detailing some of the more major scenes of A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas from the point of view of Rhysand as he expe...