Discover L (Book 2) | Complet...

EscapeInFiction

~~•~~ Sequel to Unknown L ~~•~~ "Are they alive, or not?" After surviving the battle of her life, things see... Еще

Author's Note
~ Bad Feeling ~
~ Full Of Surprises ~
~ Ready, Set, No ~
~~ Ready, Set, No ~~
~ Puppet Master ~
~ A Problem Shared ~
~~ A Problem Shared ~~
~ Goblin Grief ~
~~ Goblin Grief ~~
~ Search And Rescue ~
~ It's Your Lucky Day ~
~~ It's Your Lucky Day ~~
~~~ It's Your Lucky Day ~~~
~ Cold Hard Truth ~
~~ Cold Hard Truth ~~
~~~ Cold Hard Truth ~~~
~ A Bit Too Easy ~
~~ A Bit Too Easy ~~
~ Trick Or Troll ~
~~ Trick Or Troll ~~
~ First Impressions Are Lasting ~
~~ First Impressions Are Lasting ~~
~~~ First Impressions Are Lasting ~~~
~ Patience Is A Virtue ~
~~ Patience Is A Virtue ~~
~~~ Patience Is A Virtue ~~~
~ Elves Are Stupid ~
~~ Elves Are Stupid ~~
~ Away With The Fairies ~
~~ Away With The Fairies ~~
~ Minding Their Own Business ~
~~ Minding Their Own Business ~~
~~~ Minding Their Own Business ~~~
~ It's Better This Way ~
~~ It's Better This Way ~~
~~~ It's Better This Way ~~~
~~~~ It's Better This Way ~~~~
~ What Fresh Hell Is This? ~
~~ What Fresh Hell Is This? ~~
~~~ What Fresh Hell Is This? ~~~
~ Hoodwinked ~
~~ Hoodwinked ~~
~ Together Again ~
~ Pass The Blame ~
~~ Pass The Blame ~~
~ Denial ~
~~ Denial ~~
~~~ Denial ~~~
~ The Last Keeper ~
~ Epilogue ~

~~~ Pass The Blame ~~~

17 3 0
EscapeInFiction

Darkness wasn't as peaceful as it should have been. First, there was screaming, then the sounds of something buzzing loudly, and then the lilt of soft music. L couldn't fathom what kind of afterlife she'd been brought to, but it was definitely unusual. She pushed through her confusion and forced her eyes open. Her vision was blurry, and no amount of blinking cleared it up. The sounds around her had also grown more puzzling; faster music, quiet whispers, and what she thought might be furniture being moved.

She tried to get up, except her body wouldn't respond, and she couldn't summon the magic to clear her eyesight. She closed her eyes again and must have drifted into a doze because the next time she became aware, the atmosphere had changed. She couldn't hear music, talking or anyone moving. Her eyes felt clearer, but it was still too foggy to see where she was. Maybe she had to make the journey to the afterlife whilst blinded? 

"L? L, you're awake. Ugh, that's a relief."

The voice sounded familiar, but L couldn't place it at first. She tried to lift her head to see better, but a throbbing pain forced her to lay straight back down.

"Wait, don't try to move."

L frowned at the voice, but her brain was still too sluggish to recognise whose voice it was. Bright light illuminated her surroundings suddenly, and L squinted at the pain it caused.

"L? Are you okay?" The voice was tentative, almost nervous to ask.

L rubbed at her eyes, "I didn't think death would still cause this much pain."

She heard a sigh and tried to blink away the glare from the light to see who was there. A face swam into view, but her eyes still wouldn't clear up enough to see through the fuzziness.

"Hey, you're not dead, thankfully, but you were out cold for so long that I was worried you might just let go."

That voice, she knew it now. Her brain was starting to catch up, and she didn't like what it was trying to tell her.

"Robbie? What's going on? I can't see a thing." Her voice was so hoarse it barely sounded like her.

A hand reached out to pat her shoulder, "I'll explain everything soon, but let's get you better first. They said you'll regain your eyesight faster once you wake up. I'm so glad you're still alive, L."

But that was the issue; she couldn't understand how she was alive. Her memories had all been retrieved, and with them, the pain and confusion of what had happened.

"Bryce... I need to get up and find Bryce. Where are we right now? With the Jadavah?"

L attempted to get up, but Robbie's hand pushed her back down with an unexpected amount of ease.

"I told you I'll explain when you're up to it, for now, you need to rest."

"No, I need to find Bryce. They took him somewhere and I have to look for him."

L heard a heavy sigh, a sound she'd never heard Robbie make before, and it left a cold feeling in her chest. It was filled with sadness and sympathy, and L never wanted to hear it ever again.

"L... Bryce is..." he couldn't seem to bring himself to finish that sentence.

"No, you're wrong... there's no way one little dagger would take him down."

L shook her head despite the pain. She couldn't make herself believe that he was gone; it had to be some kind of trick. Andrei could have done that, quite easily given what she'd seen, and speaking of.

"Andrei? What about that cretin?"

"L, please relax. You can't exert yourself like this. Just calm down."

L didn't want to relax and she didn't want to wait around. She hated not knowing what happened and what was going on now.

"At least tell me where we are? Did we get to the Jadavah?"

She was struggling without her eyes, and the rest of her abilities weren't working as well as they should.

"If you lay back and rest, I'll tell you a bit at a time."

L frowned at the almost parental tone in his voice and felt the pang of pain that was trying to push to the surface. She wasn't ready to deal with any of those emotions yet. She forced everything behind her steel wall and laid down against whatever kind of bed she was in.

"Alright, I'll stay here. Please tell me."

Robbie patted her shoulder again, and it sounded as if he was getting comfortable.

"First of all, we're not in Paguea anymore. We're at Lowell and Brigitte's Inn."

L blinked in surprise, "What? How?"

She didn't recall anything about travelling back; she didn't even know how they'd manage that with her unconscious.

"Calm down, and I'll tell you. I'm not gonna put you at risk by saying too much, so don't ask me to."

L could hear a hint of worry in his voice. What they went through back at the cavern must have scared him.

"Alright, I'll take it easy."

She waited in silence and focused on trying to heal her eyes. It wasn't easy as she realised her power had been severely depleted.

"I left you to find the Jadavah, just like you told me to. When we returned, the whole mountain had come crashing down. I was... so scared, L. I really thought I'd lost you this time. The Jadavah called for his friends to help clear the way, and we hoped you'd somehow have been able to protect yourself."

L listened carefully, though she had many questions she tried not to say anything until he was done.

"I didn't know how you could have survived that, I was beside myself. And then, out of nowhere, like some scary nightmare of a miracle, Móra appeared with you in her arms."

L couldn't help interrupting now. "Mòra? How did she get there?"

L started to recall the sounds of screaming. Had that come from the Banshee? L swallowed against the lump that was forming thanks to that thought alone; she couldn't afford to feel any of it right now.

"That's what I wondered when I saw her. You were covered in blood and limp in her arms, and she passed you to me before she began signing. The Jadavah seemed to understand, and they had a short conversation. Turns out, Mòra can pass through the veil between worlds because death is everywhere. Creepy, right? But anyway, she came to you because of... you know? Well, she said these significant deaths called to her, and when she arrived, she managed to save you just in time. She said to call it a thank you for getting her scream back."

L stared at the blurry ceiling while her thoughts raced. Mòra saving her was a revelation she hadn't been ready for, but she was obviously grateful. She rubbed at her forehead when the headache resurfaced and closed her eyes.

"Then how did we get back?"

Robbie shifted where he was.

"The Jadavah was really grateful I got rid of the Abdoria, so they said they'd grant this one favour. Together with Móra, they combined some power that I didn't understand at all, and suddenly, we were standing outside this Inn. Mòra got us inside, and Brigitte and Lowell were quick to get you the help you needed. They want to speak to you when you're up to it as well."

L felt like her head was being squeezed in a vice. She placed a hand over her eyes and sighed.

"Thanks for telling me, and I'm sorry I worried you."

"I accept your apology, but don't do it again. I won't be leaving you alone next time anyway, so don't even think about telling me to."

L half smiled at his attitude and took a few steadying breaths. There was so much she still wanted to know and to understand, but her brain was not up to the task.

"Why don't you get some more sleep? I'll be right here when you wake up." Robbie reassured her, and L was thankful that he could read her better than anyone.

She rolled onto her side and let her mind wander, falling into a daze that eventually turned to sleep. When she awoke this time, she noticed that everything was much clearer and brighter. It must have been nighttime before because now there was natural light pouring into the room. Her headache was dull but still present, and she shielded her eyes as she took a look around. They must have been in one of the bedrooms from the Inn; she remembered the decorations and atmosphere.

Apart from the usual bedroom furniture, there was also an additional stand that held a number of medical supplies and an old podium, though L was unclear of its purpose. Robbie was laid on a bed beside hers, and their bags were strewn on the floor. She almost found herself looking for a third bag, but she knew how dangerous thoughts like that were. She would figure out what happened to Bryce eventually, but she had to deal with what was in front of her right now.

She didn't try to sit up, knowing her headache would flare the moment she moved. Instead, she took stock of everything she knew had happened so far. She was a little glad to be out of Paguea, but there was so much that happened back there that she still didn't know. She also needed to contact everyone at Lymasia and find out how much damage had been done. She needed to know the situation with Andrei. Had she killed him in the cave in? And, they also needed to discuss the matter regarding Vadim. What did they do with him now?

L felt a splitting pain in her head, causing her to gasp and instantly woke Robbie. He turned quickly and rushed to her side. That's when L saw the sling over one shoulder, carefully supporting a full arm cast. Her eyes grew wide, and she tried to sit up, but the pain spliced through her head again, and she groaned.

"L, stay still. You can't move around like that. Your head is still healing."

"I know, but your arm?"

"Oh, you can see now? That's good."

He smiled at her, and the relief was noticeable. But L didn't share that feeling as she noticed other cuts and bruises on his face and body. He must have caught her looking because he started to fidget.

"I'm fine, don't worry. I received a small fracture in my front leg and some other teeny tiny injuries thanks to the Abdoria. But Lowell fixed me up, and I'll be out of the cast in a few weeks."

L squinted through the pain. 

"A few weeks in a cast for a Dragon means it wasn't a small fracture."

Robbie looked a little guilty and scrunched his face.

"Okay, it was a large fracture, but knowing that won't make it any easier for you. It'll still heal in time, so it's fine."

L sighed at him and scanned the rest of his body for injuries he might be hiding. She was about to scold him for sugar coating it when there was a knock on the door.

"Come in." Robbie called, sitting himself on the floor by L's bed.

The door opened, and Brigitte and Lowell walked in, both with matching expressions of concern.

"Hello, L. How are you feeling?" Brigitte asked tentatively.

L shrugged half-heartedly, "I have a splitting headache, and my abilities aren't working properly. Oh, and I have so much I need to know, but I've been restricted by the nurse over here."

She jabbed a finger towards Robbie, who smiled brightly despite her grumpy attitude.

"You just had your head split open. In fact, you nearly died. You can wait a bit longer."

L raised a brow and slowly brought her hand up to feel the back of her head. There was a patch where her hair had been shaved and a bandage had been applied; L could just barely sense the magical properties passing through it.

"That was at our request. We didn't want you to have to deal with too much, too soon, and cause your condition to destabilise. We were trying to keep your recovery as smooth as possible... after everything." Lowell explained and gave a cautionary glance towards Brigitte.

L frowned at the way they were acting, and even Robbie's smile had disappeared.

"Please stop treating me like I'm a frozen lake that'll crack with the slightest pressure. I am dealing with things in my own way, so just explain what I need to know. Did I manage to kill Andrei?"

The silence that followed her words was thick with tension, and L knew they didn't believe her. After all that had happened, why would they? But as long as she kept a hold on her emotions, she could handle talking through it.

"L, you don't have to be brave for us. You're allowed to break down now." Robbie tried to comfort her.

"No, I'm not, and I won't. So please just tell me everything."

She ignored the sympathetic looks they gave her; she didn't want to feel what was curling in her gut. Instead, she stared at them expectantly and waited for answers.

Brigitte stepped forward and patted her leg before moving to sit on the opposite bed.

"Mòra told us there was nobody else in the cavern except the carcasses of the Paguean creatures. So we can assume that Andrei escaped somehow."

"Andrei, that crazy little bastard." Lowell cursed, and fire rippled across the knuckles of his clenched fist.

"Do you know him then?" L asked, eyeing Brigitte and Lowell.

"Yes, we were friends once upon a long time ago."

"Actually, we were Vadim's friends, and Andrei just sort of tagged along." Brigitte corrected.

"Yes, and then he started to go insane with his drivel about the Keepers. Pretty much everyone cut ties with him, including Vadim. We had no idea he'd be capable of any of this."

L frowned in disappointment. She really wanted to end Andrei and avenge her kind. Although there was some relief in knowing that she hadn't sacrificed herself for nothing. She would get another chance to strike at Andrei, and next time, she wouldn't stop until he died by her hand. She would make him pay for what he'd done, for everyone he'd hurt.

"What about the thing he said about Lymasia? What happened there?"

"There was an attack, and it left a number of casualties. Some of the inhabitants are also missing."

"Mum and dad got out though," Robbie quickly reassured her.

L was relieved to hear that, even just a small piece of good news was something.

"What happened?"

"Demons invaded the base, but Aunt Edra managed to warn everyone just before, so the casualty list was much lower than it could have been. She's relocated them somewhere safe." Lowell spoke softly, presumably in an attempt to make her feel better.

"And what about Vadim?" L asked carefully.

"We don't know anything about that situation. You would have to speak to the Council."

L assumed it would be something like that. They wouldn't want the whole Supernatural community hearing about the breach right under their noses.

"They should be lenient on him since he was forced to do Andrei's bidding."

L wasn't sure how she felt about him, but she couldn't focus on Vadim's fate right now. She was too busy thinking about Andrei, after everything he'd already done and yet, the damage just kept on coming.

"Something has to be done about finding Andrei, the sooner, the better."

"Now that word is spreading of his betrayal, he won't have anyone to turn to in this world." Brigitte seemed so sure of that.

L shook her head, "He only needs the Demons at this point. Look at what he already managed with their help. It's enough of an army for him to come for me again. He won't stop until he's finished off the Keepers for good."

Robbie's eyes widened, and he turned to L, "Then, do you need to raise an army as well?"

"I'd rather not ask others to fight for me again. We know where that leads." L pondered for a moment, "Actually, I think there's a better way to change all of that. I'll start by informing the Demons that Andrei lied about the power transfer."

"Do you think they'll believe it?"

L shrugged, "They don't really need to believe it. I just have to sew enough discord to cause rumours. Demons are deeply mistrustful, even the slightest hint of betrayal, and they'll turn on him. I just have to find him before he recruits other followers and grows even stronger. I was barely a match for him this time, I can't be that weak next time. I can't let anyone else get hurt."

"L..." Robbie started, but he didn't seem to know what to say.

"L... about Bryce..." Brigitte started, and her eyes were on L's. 

L tried not to show any reaction despite seeing the scene replayed in her mind.

"Bryce was taken somewhere. It was all a trick by Andrei, and I plan to find him as soon as I've recovered."

Brigitte looked from Lowell to Robbie and then back to her. The sadness in her expression told L she really didn't want to hear what she was about to say.

"L... Mòra told us about the deaths that called out to her. Bryce is... gone, L. I'm sorry."

L swallowed against the lump in her throat and shook her head. "No, a dagger wouldn't kill him. I don't believe that."

Lowell came to kneel by the bed, and his sympathetic expression just made her feel more agitated.

"The dagger was infused with powerful magic, L. Bryce was too busy protecting you to protect himself from it. It is possible, unfortunately, and I'm so very sorry."

L shook her head, ignoring the pain in her head and her heart.

"No, he can't be. You're wrong." Her agitation was growing, and nothing they said could help.

"L, calm down. Think of your injury, hey."

But L wasn't listening. She couldn't accept that Bryce was gone; she couldn't lose her parents and him on the same day. There was no way life could be that cruel. But a voice in the back of her mind reminded her of her life so far and that it could actually be that cruel, to her.

"Thank you for telling me everything and for looking after us. I'd like to be alone now, if that's alright." L turned away from them all.

She knew it was rude, but she couldn't talk to anyone right now. And she certainly didn't want to discuss her feelings.

She heard footsteps, and then the door close. She let out a heavy sigh.

"Don't think that includes me because I'm not leaving you like this." Robbie stated matter-of-factly.

And with that, he sat by the head of the bed in silence. He didn't move, didn't try to comfort her, or get her to open up. He just stayed there, right by her side, and kept her company. L was grateful despite feeling the urge to be completely alone. She pushed the rest of her feelings down to a place where she could ignore them and took to staring at the window. The sun was shining outside, and she noticed several birds pass by in the hours she laid there. The world was still moving, still going about its business while hers was falling apart.

She saw the scene of Bryce's final moments behind her eyes, repeating over and over. And only one thought kept coming to mind. This was all her fault. If she had been stronger, if she had been able to dispatch Andrei by herself, then Bryce wouldn't have had to sacrifice himself to save her. She was to blame, and she was the only one who could fix it. There were a few things she needed to do first, but she would get her revenge, no matter what it took.

Продолжить чтение

Вам также понравится

Different koro30

Про вампиров

940 77 10
Different is the story of a girl who was born half vampire and half werewolf. Her whole life she has been running away from vampires on the hunt for...
200K 7.6K 33
To Jezebel Spencer being made to move to the other side of the world, away from her beloved home and country of 15 years seemed like the biggest chal...
543K 14K 35
Finally Jace and Devon are dead and Morgan and Alec have an unbreakable bond. But again before the wedding is finished things go wrong and Morgan is...
3.2K 467 30
|| 2021 WATTYS SHORTLIST || Welcome to Streamfield, Massachusetts, home to one of the largest populations of witches, sorcerers, and shapeshifters in...