Light in the Dark

Da silentrambles

To Tricia, Detective Jayden Rivera was a little too reckless and aloof for her liking. Yet Tricia couldn't he... Altro

Prologue
Chapter 1: Nice to Meet You?
Chapter 2: White (#FFFFFF)
Chapter 3: Beige (#F4EED8)
Chapter 4: Yellow (#FFBF34)
Chapter 5: Green (#A9D39E)
Chapter 6: Blue (#ADD8E6)
Chapter 7: Purple (#CEC2EB)
Chapter 8: Red (#F88379)
Chapter 9: Grey (#C0C0C2)
Chapter 10: Pink (#FEC5E5)
Chapter 11: Orange (#F28500)
A/N: Update Schedule and Comments
Chapter 12: Coincidences
Chapter 13: Explanations
Chapter 14: Shadows
Chapter 16: Finally
Chapter 17: Beginnings
Chapter 18: Bonds
A/N: Updates
Chapter 19: Breaking the news
Chapter 20: Goodbye and Revelations
A/N: When I do
Chapter 21: All's Good?
Chapter 22: MY
Chapter 23: Possibilities
Chapter 24: Crossroads
Chapter 25: Risky
Chapter 26: Pain
Chapter 27: Missing You
Chapter 28: Hope
Chapter 29: Repress
A/N: Which would be better?
Chapter 30: Counting down
Chapter 31: To J
Chapter 32: Opportunities
Chapter 33: Finale Part 1
Chapter 34: To Trish
Chapter 35: Man Down
Chapter 36: All is well
A/N: Coming to an end soon :')
Chapter 37: I hate you, I'm sorry
Chapter 38: Promises
Chapter 39: Family
Chapter 40: 1 + 1 + 1 = 1
Chapter 41: Kumpas
Finale: The Grace of our Beloved Morning Star

Chapter 15: Deadlines

170 12 0
Da silentrambles

"We just got news that the heads of the syndicate are now in Malaysia. The local police are trying to track them down." Det. Torres updated the team. 

"Oh, so what does that mean for the operation?" Sabrina asked. She and Jayden were online since they still couldn't return to the station. 

"Means we only have to focus on shutting down the local operations, the job of capturing the big shots will be done by the Malaysians." Det. Torres replied. 

"Means less work for us too..." Alex couldn't hold in his excitement. 

"But it also means we have to wait until the Malaysian police track them down before we raid their local hideout." Jayden caught the main dilemma. 

"That's right. If we raid the hideout prematurely, they might flee before the Malaysian police get to them. The higher ups of each country have agreed to wait until the Malaysians give us the go ahead." Det. Torres agreed. 

"And how long would that take?" Jayden sighed. 

"They've asked for a maximum of 1 week. Have you guys been checking in through Jack?" Det. Torres asked. 

"We bribed the broker and the person in charge of children to let us take Jack out twice. Things seemed to have slowed down over here since the figureheads are overseas. The children are currently safe, so that's a good sign." Jayden updated. 

"Have they suspected anything?" Det. Torres checked. 

"Not for now. We've reminded Jack not to say anything..." Sabrina shook her head. 

"But this responsibility shouldn't be on him. The longer we take, the more danger Jack and the other children could be in." Jayden argued. 

"But that's only if the men find out." Alex replied. 

"I was wondering, Sir..." Jayden started. 

"I think I know what you're hinting at..." Det. Torres had worked long enough with Jayden to know. 

"If we're afraid that we rock the boat before we catch the big fish, why don't we make it so that the small fish can't tip off the big fish?" Jayden suggested. 

"So we catch the small fish and we could either use them to catch the big fish or just keep them silent?" Det. Torres smiled. 

"Exactly." Jayden nodded. 

"Wait, what's this small fish and big fish talk about?" Alex was lost. 

"Sir is suggesting that we raid the local hideout first and prevent them from tipping off the heads in Malaysia or even use them to lure them out. That way, we can save the children faster without threatening the entire operation." Sabrina explained. 

"Bingo. You catch on fast." Jayden smiled at Sabrina. Sabrina blushed. 

"Oh...but don't we have to get permission?" Alex wondered. 

"That's the simplest part of the plan, Alex." Det. Torres chuckled. 

"But what if the higher ups say no?" Alex asked again. 

"Then we think again if they say no." Det. Torres could only hope for a go ahead. 

~

"Hi Dr Tricia!" Sabrina waved as she spotted Tricia at the lift. 

"Hi Sabrina!" Tricia smiled back. 

"Did you just get off work?" Sabrina saw the duffel that Tricia was carrying. 

"Yep, I had a 36 hour shift." Tricia held her upsized cup of iced coffee. 

"That must be tiring..." Sabrina gave Tricia an empathetic smile. 

"I've got used to it..." Tricia chuckled. 

"If you aren't tired, want to join me for breakfast? I bought extra food." Sabrina offered. 

"Really? I won't say no to free food..." Tricia grinned. 

"Of course, we could eat in our apartment." Sabrina held open the door. 

"Oh...is Jayden in?" Tricia hesitated. 

"He went out early in the morning. We could have a girls talk..." Sabrina shook her head and led Tricia into the apartment. 

"I hope I'm not intruding..." Tricia looked around. 

"Not at all, make yourself at home!" Sabrina assured Tricia as she went into the kitchen to grab some utensils. 

"Thanks..." Tricia observed the living area as Sabrina was in the kitchen. If she didn't know better, she'd be wondering why a married couple's house was so sparsely decorated. 

"I hope you don't mind bread, eggs and bacon?" Sabrina set down the food she'd bought. 

"Oh, I'm somewhat vegetarian so I don't eat bacon but bread and eggs are always good." Tricia smiled. 

"Oh sorry, I didn't know..." Sabrina apologised. 

"No, don't be! Thank you for sharing your breakfast for me actually!" Tricia assured. Assured, Sabrina sat next to Tricia to enjoy breakfast. 

"How's things going recently?" Tricia didn't know how to start the conversation. 

"Well, good I guess. Work is going smoothly. Oh right, let me get some water for us..." Sabrina couldn't say much given her situation and decided to avoid the question by offering water. 

"The cup..." Tricia stared at the black cup that Sabrina placed before her. 

"Oh, it's Jayden's. It's his favourite cup so keep it a secret that I lent it to you." Sabrina smiled. 

"His favourite cup?" Tricia raised an eyebrow. 

"He said someone special gave it to him so he's really careful with it." Sabrina pouted. 

"Someone special...?" Tricia paused. She knew very well who gave this cup to Jayden. 

"I know right? I thought Sir's Lola was the only special person in his life since he doesn't have a girlfriend but...Oh god." Sabrina realised what she just said. 

"I mean...So what I was...Uh...God, I screwed up." Sabrina was flustered. 

"It's okay, I know about it." Tricia patted Sabrina on the back. 

"Wait, you do?" Sabrina's eyes widened. 

"Somehow...but don't worry about it. I know it's supposed to be a secret." Tricia assured. 

"So you knew all along that Sir and I weren't a real couple?" Sabrina gasped. 

"I'm sorry...I didn't want to jeopardize anything." Tricia felt bad. 

"No, no...don't be. You were just trying to help...Gosh, this is embarrassing. I thought I had to pretend in front of you. Does the rest of your family know too?" Sabrina grimaced. 

"Only Ate Aiks does. Mama doesn't." Tricia gave Sabrina an sympathetic smile. 

"So...you knew Sir before this?" Sabrina wondered. 

"I guess you could say that." Tricia nodded. 

"No wonder it was so awkward between you two...I thought something happened." Sabrina realised the reason why Tricia and Jayden could never really look at each other straight. 

"At least the cat's out of the bag now. But rest assured, Ate's and my lips are sealed. I know how important this mission is." Tricia put a finger to her lips. 

"Thank you...At least I won't be in trouble with Sir because of this." Sabrina chuckled nervously. 

"Well, he can be a little intimidating when he's angry..." Tricia agreed. 

"You've seen him angry? When?" Sabrina was curious. 

"Mostly when it comes to the injustice he faces or when Kaela tells him about the things she's been through..." Tricia replied without thinking much. 

"Oh, so you're the doctor in charge of Kaela? How did I only draw the link now..." Sabrina had another round of realisation. 

"Yep, that's me..." Tricia nodded. 

"I swear, I'm so slow in realising some things...I would have failed miserably during this mission if not for Sir..." Sabrina bit her lip.

"What's it like having Jayden as a superior and a husband?" Tricia put quotation marks for the word husband. 

"Well, Sir's actually a really good superior. He's really helpful, attentive to details, considerate, protective and works extra hard. Although sometimes, he puts himself in danger to help others." Sabrina grimaced. 

"Tell me about it." Tricia echoed that sentiment. 

"But as a husband...I'm not sure about that yet but I can say he's equally perfect as a housemate." Sabrina smiled. 

"Oh..." Tricia didn't know what to say.

"Sir offered me the master bedroom, willingly takes on the bulk of cleaning duties, offers to cook dinner and most importantly, he's always respectful and considerate of my needs and boundaries..." Sabrina could talk about Jayden's manners for the whole day. 

"That sounds...nice." Tricia gave Sabrina a small smile. 

"Sir's a really good guy...but..." Sabrina hesitated.

"But?" Tricia waited. 

"Alex always teases it about me but I don't think the feeling is mutual..." Sabrina sighed. 

"As in..." Tricia already knew Sabrina didn't just view Jayden as a respected senior and coworker. It was obvious to most people. 

"Sir's heart belongs to someone else. The one who gave him this cup and that journal he writes in every night." Sabrina sighed again. 

"I'm sorry about that..." Tricia felt guilty

~

"How long are you going to moonlight here for?" Zach rolled his eyes at Jayden. 

"Not for much longer, I hope." Jayden couldn't wait to wrap up the mission either. 

"I mean, I'm not complaining about getting a free employee but I'd really rather you as a cop than a Muay Thai instructor." Zach chuckled. 

"I think so too." Jayden agreed. 

"Anyways...I think the person who'll wipe that frown off your face is here." Zach nodded to the two ladies walking into the gym. 

"Who..." Jayden trailed off as he spotted the Robredo sisters. 

"Hi Zach...Hi Jayden." Aika greeted the men. Tricia smiled at Zach but only gave Jayden an awkward small nod. 

"Hi ladies, just on time. Aiks, you're with me. Tricia, you're with Jayden today." Zach informed. 

"See you later, Patty." Aika waved to her younger sister and left Tricia with Jayden. 

"Shall we? It's a small class today..." Jayden waited for Tricia to move before walking behind her. 

"Thank you for today coach!" The students waved goodbye to Jayden after the grueling 45 minute session. 

"You're welcome, see you guys next week." Jayden gave the group a small smile. 

"Water?" Jayden held out a bottle of cold water to Tricia, who was cooling down at the corner of the classroom. 

"Thank you..." Tricia accepted the bottle. 

"I heard from Sabrina..." Jayden started the conversation. 

"I won't tell anyone, don't worry." Tricia assured. 

"I know you won't. I just wanted to tell you that it's strictly business. There's nothing going on between me and Sabrina." Jayden confessed.

"I know...You said it before." Tricia was well aware. 

"Jayden, can I get you out here for a while?" An employee interrupted the conversation.

"But..." Jayden looked at Tricia.

"Go ahead." Tricia nodded towards the door.

"Could you help look at one of the equipment? It seems to be loose." The employee pointed at one of the equipment hanging from the ceiling. 

"Sure, could you help me hold the ladder? Thanks." Jayden climbed up to take a look. 

"Ben, could you get me a spanner?" Jayden called out from the top.

"Uh...which one is a spanner?" Jayden looked down and saw Tricia at the bottom of the ladder. 

"Tricia? Where's Ben?" Jayden wondered why Tricia was holding onto the ladder. 

"He had to attend to something..." Tricia had offered to help since Aika was still working out and she had nothing to do. 

"Uh...it's the one next to the one you're holding...yep, that." Jayden guided Tricia's hand to the right tool. 

"Here..." Tricia reached out. 

"Thanks." Jayden grabbed the spanner. Tricia watched as Jayden tightened the screw on the equipment. 

"Jayden, since you're up there already, can you fix the hanging lamp up above the equipment? It went out yesterday." The employee came back with the new light bulb. 

"If you don't mind, Ms Tricia..." The employee handed the box to Tricia and ran off to settle other things. 

"Is the lamp loose?" Tricia asked as she watched from the bottom. The lamp was visibly tilted.

"Oh right, let me...Watch out!" Before Jayden could even touch the lamp, the last wire holding it up snapped. The lamp was now making a vertical descend for Tricia. 

Without any hesitation, Jayden leaped off the 4m ladder and pulled Tricia away, with one hand protecting her head and the other secured tightly around her waist. Jayden stood firmly with Tricia in his arm until they heard the sound of the metal lamp crashing onto the ground. 

"You okay?" Jayden looked at Tricia. 

"Yeah...how about you? Did it hit you?" Tricia looked at Jayden with worried eyes. 

"No, it didn't. I'm good..." Jayden shook his head. 

"What happened!" Zach came running in upon hearing the commotion. 

"I asked Jayden to help change the light and...Pasensya na..." The employee had an apologetic look on him. 

"Okay lang, hindi mo kasalanan." Jayden assured. 

"Patty, are you injured anywhere?" Aika check on her sister, who was still in Jayden's arms. 

"Oh sorry..." Jayden let out of Tricia's waist. 

"Okay lang ako, niligtas ako ni Jayden..." Tricia smiled at her Ate. 

"Thank God...Are you okay, Jayden?" Aika turned to Tricia. 

"I'm good." Jayden nodded. 

"I'll get someone to fix this later. Thank goodness you two are fine." Zach patted Jayden on the back. 

~

"I'm sorry." Jayden apologised as the car stopped at a red light. Jayden was driving Tricia home since Aika had lunch plans with Zach.

"What for?" Tricia asked. 

"I should have been more careful earlier. You almost got hurt." Jayden felt guilty. 

"It wasn't your fault." Tricia furrowed her eyebrows.

"I should have been more careful..." Jayden sighed. 

"What was it you wanted to tell me earlier?" Tricia changed the topic. 

"Oh...I wanted to apologise." Jayden said sorry again. 

"For making you  give in. It's not right or fair of me to keep asking you to understand me and my responsibilities." Jayden explained. 

"You do realise that you've said sorry for two things you had no control over in the span of 5 minutes, do you?" Tricia questioned. 

"But I am at fault..." Jayden frowned. 

"The falling lamp aside, what makes you think that I'm giving in?" Tricia challenged. 

"I..." Jayden couldn't answer. 

"If I'm willingly waiting for you to fulfil your promise, how is that considered giving in?" Tricia asked. 

"I promised not to make you lose your smile but I did. Every single time." Jayden sighed. 

"I don't think anyone who was in my position would be smiling. In fact, you should be worried if I was." Tricia retorted. 

"But why...Oh..." Jayden processed Tricia's words and realised what she meant. 

"So stop saying sorry and think of a better way to uphold your promise of making me smile." Tricia looked straight at Jayden. 

"18 days. Give me 18 days. I'll fulfil my promise then." Jayden was sincere. 

"I'll be waiting. Don't break it." Tricia held out her pinky.

"I won't. Not to you." Jayden hooked his pinky. 

"I know you won't." Tricia planted a peck on Jayden's cheek. 

A/N: 

Sorry for the late update <3

Continua a leggere

Ti piacerĂ  anche

40 11 22
Synopsis: Character: Jenn Lopez and Ryan Mondragon Setting: The city of Makati city Metro Manila Philippines Languages: English Plot: There is a fa...
17.2K 247 20
Impregnating her without knowing, will love still be rekindled after knowing she hid their daughter from him?
11.8K 572 11
Aika Robredo x Female Reader One Shots DISCLAIMER: This is a work of pure fiction. Any semblance to works, names, places in real life are unintention...