Light in the Dark

By silentrambles

To Tricia, Detective Jayden Rivera was a little too reckless and aloof for her liking. Yet Tricia couldn't he... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: Nice to Meet You?
Chapter 2: White (#FFFFFF)
Chapter 3: Beige (#F4EED8)
Chapter 4: Yellow (#FFBF34)
Chapter 5: Green (#A9D39E)
Chapter 6: Blue (#ADD8E6)
Chapter 7: Purple (#CEC2EB)
Chapter 8: Red (#F88379)
Chapter 9: Grey (#C0C0C2)
Chapter 10: Pink (#FEC5E5)
Chapter 11: Orange (#F28500)
A/N: Update Schedule and Comments
Chapter 12: Coincidences
Chapter 13: Explanations
Chapter 15: Deadlines
Chapter 16: Finally
Chapter 17: Beginnings
Chapter 18: Bonds
A/N: Updates
Chapter 19: Breaking the news
Chapter 20: Goodbye and Revelations
A/N: When I do
Chapter 21: All's Good?
Chapter 22: MY
Chapter 23: Possibilities
Chapter 24: Crossroads
Chapter 25: Risky
Chapter 26: Pain
Chapter 27: Missing You
Chapter 28: Hope
Chapter 29: Repress
A/N: Which would be better?
Chapter 30: Counting down
Chapter 31: To J
Chapter 32: Opportunities
Chapter 33: Finale Part 1
Chapter 34: To Trish
Chapter 35: Man Down
Chapter 36: All is well
A/N: Coming to an end soon :')
Chapter 37: I hate you, I'm sorry
Chapter 38: Promises
Chapter 39: Family
Chapter 40: 1 + 1 + 1 = 1
Chapter 41: Kumpas
Finale: The Grace of our Beloved Morning Star

Chapter 14: Shadows

164 15 0
By silentrambles

"Good afternoon, Mr and Mrs Rivera. Would you be free this evening to meet?" The broker was calling.

"Is it good news?" Sabrina probed. 

"I'll tell you more when we meet, Mrs Rivera." The broker's lips were sealed.

"We'll see you later then." Sabrina ended the call. 

"They're probably going to tell you whether the deal is going to continue..." Alex and Det. Torres were listening in online.

"What if it doesn't?" Sabrina was worried.

"We'll convince them." Jayden smirked.

"But how?" Sabrina wondered. 

"With the very one thing they're motivated by. Money." Jayden replied. 

"They're doing all these for money. I'm sure they'll change their minds once we start talking about money." Det. Torres backed Jayden up. 

"But how much is enough?" Alex wondered. 

"Enough for us to capture them all so we don't get our salaries cut." Jayden gave Alex a tilted smile. 

"Don't worry about the money, we'll catch them before they even have a chance to pocket it." Det. Torres gave Jayden the implicit go-ahead. 

"Thank you, Sir." Jayden saluted.

"Good evening, Mr and Mrs Rivera. Thank you for meeting me at such short notice." The broker invited the two to take a seat. 

"Tell me you have good news?" Sabrina leaned forward. 

"I do. But before that, we were thinking of a deposit. A token sum to prove your sincerity." The broker lowered his voice. 

"How much are you thinking of?" Jayden got straight to the point. 

"2000." The broker held up a '2'. 

"2000 peso?" Sabrina was confused. 

"USD. We only accept dollars." The broker corrected.

"And much of the estimated total cost is 2000?" Jayden asked.

"Depending on the child, we are looking at any amount between 10,000 to 20,000. USD." The broker shrugged. 

"If we accede, will you promise us a child?" Sabrina questioned. 

"It depends." The broker leaned back onto his chair. 

"I'm going to be honest here. You want money and we want a child. Money isn't the issue. Tell that to whoever you're working for. I don't think you'll want to lose 20k USD before your eyes." Jayden leaned forward, looking straight at the broker. 

"I'll pass your message. But after I get the 2000." The broker put up a front.

"Done. You can check it." Jayden smiled after transferring the money.

"I asked for 2000, why did you transfer 2500?" The broker raised an eyebrow.

"Like you said, a token sum. I think you know what I mean?" Jayden hinted.

"For just 500?" The broker wasn't fully convinced.

"Like my husband said, money isn't an issue. You won't be shortchanged if you make this easy for us. It's a win-win situation." Sabrina offered.

"Await my good news, Mr and Mrs Rivera." The broker smiled as he got up.

"We will." Sabrina and Jayden had done it. They were one step closer.

~

"Good morning Lola!" Tricia greeted Lola Agnes as she entered the bakery. 

"Ay, paboritong ko customer...Let me give you a hug!" Lola Agnes hadn't seen Tricia in a while. 

"Namiss kita, Lola..." Tricia confessed as she hugged the older lady. 

"Both you and Apo disappeared together, I thought I was going to die of boredom..." Lola Agnes frowned. 

"Sorry po...Patawarin mo ako, Lola?" Tricia pouted adorably. 

"You're better than my Apo, he's only been calling me since he's busy undercover...Ay naku!" Lola Agnes realised that Jayden going undercover was supposed to be a secret. 

"It's okay, Lola...I know about it..." Tricia assured Lola Agnes. 

"Really? That's good then..." Lola Agnes heaved a sigh of relief. 

"Does Jayden go undercover often?" Tricia was curious. 

"He's done it a few times but this one seems to be pretty long..." Lola Agnes nodded. 

"I see...is there anything I can do to help?" Tricia offered. 

"Apo has got Daniel and Alex looking out for me. The neighbours and other vendors here are very helpful as well..." Lola Agnes smiled. Just then, the bell on the bakery door rang, signaling a customer.

"Good morning and welcome, what can I get you today?" Tricia greeted the customer just like Jayden would do for Lola Agnes. Having been here often enough, Tricia was skilled in serving the customer. 

"Here's the money, Lola..." Tricia handed the payment she received to Lola Agnes. 

"Maybe I should fire Apo and hire you instead. I'm sure you're way better than him." Lola Agnes joked. 

"But I thought the Titas at the market all love him?" Tricia chuckled. 

"They love him to be their son-in-law but Apo has no interest. It's a secret but Apo has never dated." Lola Agnes rattled on Jayden. 

"Talaga? Jayden seems like he would have been popular in school..." Tricia was surprised. 

"He did get lots of confessions and love letters from girls but he would just reject them politely. He avoids the topic whenever the Titas show him pictures of their daughters." Lola Agnes chuckled. 

"Is he not looking to find a partner?" Tricia wondered. 

"He doesn't answer me when I ask him that...But I don't want to push him either..." Lola Agnes knew Jayden was hesitant about starting a relationship. 

"Ah..." Tricia didn't know how to respond. 

"Apo...sa tingin ko natatakot siya." Lola Agnes sighed. 

"Of?" Tricia furrowed her eyebrows. 

"Hindi ko alam..." Lola Agnes wasn't sure either. 

"Pero alam kong special ka sa kanya...Maybe you'll know in due time." Lola Agnes smiled at Tricia. 

"Hindi ako sigurado diyan..." Tricia was unsure where she stood now. Lola Agnes didn't say anything but just held Tricia's hands in hers. 

~

"Mama, Ate! I'm going out for a walk..." Tricia had a lot in her head and needed some fresh air. 

"Don't stay out too late!" Atty Leni called out in concern. 

"I won't, Mama!" Tricia assured. 

"Janine Patricia...what's wrong with you?" Tricia muttered to herself as she walked along the quiet path of the condo grounds. Tricia was so lost in thought that she didn't even realise someone was trailing behind her. 

Jayden had just finished a run when he spotted the familiar figure in front of him. Jayden wanted to call out to her but couldn't bring himself to...and ended up settling for walking behind her silently. Besides, her slow footsteps reflected the weight she currently had in her heart. 

The silence of the surroundings was both comforting yet unhelpful. Tricia sighed as she stood in front of the condo gate, contemplating if she should leave the estate. After a 30 second hesitation, Tricia opened the gate. Jayden followed behind. 

Without any destination in mind, Tricia walked along the usual path she took whenever she walked home. The familiar street felt noisier than usual and Tricia wasn't sure if it was just her. Just like that, Tricia walked aimlessly around the neighbourhood for 20 minutes. 

"Tri..." Jayden found himself calling out worriedly when a bike zoomed past Tricia. Thankfully, Tricia managed to avoid it. 

"Hi Mama, I'm on my way back already....Don't worry, I'm fine." Tricia picked up a call from her Mama. Jayden knew from the start that following Tricia wasn't the best idea but it was the only way he could see her and  keep her safe. 

"I was looking everywhere for you!" Sabrina ran up to Jayden as he entered the gate a minute after Tricia. She had been waiting for Jayden to return from his run. 

"Sorry, I was..." Jayden answered while scanning the area for Tricia. She was nowhere to be seen. 

"I thought something happened!" Sabrina couldn't reach Jayden on his phone.

"Oh, my battery was dead..." Jayden couldn't tell Sabrina the real reason he was late. 

"It's okay...I'm glad you're fine. Shall we head upstairs?" Sabrina asked. 

"Uh...I..." Jayden looked around again, just in case Tricia was still around. It was dark and he hoped that Tricia was already home. 

"Let's go...we have an early day tomorrow." Sabrina reminded Jayden that they were going to meet the broker tomorrow.

"Right..." Jayden gave in and followed Sabrina. 

After watching Jayden and Sabrina disappear into the lift, Tricia stepped out from behind a pillar. She'd heard Sabrina's voice just as she was about to enter the lift but found herself hiding behind a pillar, overhearing their entire conversation. 

"Hi Patty...Anong problema na?" Aika was surprised when Tricia hugged her the moment she returned. 

"Wala..." Tricia replied. 

"I'm always on your side, Patty." Aika comforted her younger sister. 

"Choose one." The broker placed a series of files before Sabrina and Jayden. 

"What are these?" Sabrina asked as she picked the file on top. 

"Your future children." The broker replied. 

Jayden and Sabrina read through the contents of the file, realising that they were brief profiles of the children. It only contained the children's pictures, names, country of origin and a few other basic information. 

"Are these all the children you have?" Jayden tried fishing for information. 

"We have children ranging from 1 to 10 years old, boys and girls, perfectly healthy...is that not enough to choose from?" The broker rolled his eyes. 

"Can we see them in real life before we make a decision? How fast can the child come to us?" Sabrina pressed on. 

"Decide on one first and then we can talk details." The broker was insistent. 

"We want to see the child first. We're bringing a child home, not grocery shopping or online shopping." Jayden insisted. 

"You're paying for the child, there's no difference." The broker retorted. 

"Just once?" Sabrina requested. 

"I don't have control over that. Someone else looks after the children." The broker made an excuse. 

"I'll add another 200 USD to your tip." Jayden offered. The broker broke into a sly smile. 

"Do you have time after this?" The broker had taken the offer. 

"We have all day." Sabrina answered with a smile.

"I'll bring you somewhere." The broker beckoned them to follow. Jayden and Sabrina got onto a van with totally tinted windows, unable to observe their surroundings. 30 minutes later, the trio were at a quiet factory. 

"Where's this?" Sabrina looked around. 

"You said you wanted to see the children." The broker replied. 

"The children are kept here?" Jayden asked as he surveyed the area. 

"Don't ask any questions. Just follow me." The broker shushed. The broker brought Jayden and Sabrina into a room and sat them down. 

Don't say anything in case we're being recorded. Jayden texted Sabrina, who nodded after seeing the text. 

5 minutes later, the broker came in. With 3 children following, all of different ages. 2 girls around the same age and 1 older boy. 

"You have 10 minutes." The broker warned.

"Hi, I'm Jayden and this is Sabrina. What are your names?" Jayden smiled at the 3 children. All 3 replied with silence and scared expressions.

"We're not going to hurt you, we just wanted to get to know you better..." Sabrina tried again. The 2 girls looked at the older boy. 

"I'm Jack. This is Lily and Anna." The boy introduced himself. Jayden remembered the names that Kaela had always mentioned to him. 

"Those are beautiful names. How long have you all been here for?" Sabrina asked softly. 

"5 months." Jack replied on behalf. 

"Don't ask funny questions. 5 more minutes." The broker glared. 

"Can we get some time alone with Jack, please?" Jayden requested. 

"No." The broker refused. 

"Please? Just 10 minutes?" Sabrina tried instead. 

"10 minutes. No funny business. Or we end the deal immediately." The broker gave in. 

"Thank you." Sabrina gave the broker a nod. 

"Hi Jack, do you like games? I have something cool to show you..." Jayden took out his phone as he sat the boy down in between him and Sabrina.

"It's okay Jack, Jayden and I are here to help you." Sabrina whispered to the boy.

I need you to listen carefully to what I'm going to say now. Just nod, shake your head or use your fingers to answer. Jayden typed on his phone. 

Do you know Kaela? Jayden started. Jack nodded.

She's safe with me so don't worry. Sabrina and I are here to help you but I need you to help us too. I promise that you won't be in danger. Jayden assured. Jack nodded again. 

How many kids are with you? Jack held up a 5. 

Are any of them injured? Jack shook his head. 

Do they give you enough food? Jack shook his head. 

Do they hit or hurt you? Jack nodded and shook his head. 

Does that mean sometimes? Jack nodded. 

Do they watch you all the time? Jack shook his head. 

"Time's up." The broker came into the room. 

"It was nice meeting you, Jack. Can we give you a hug?" Jayden stretched his arms out and so did Sabrina. Jack looked at the broker. 

"Do it quick." The broker gave his implicit agreement. 

"Don't worry. We'll get you out of here soon. We promise." Jayden whispered as the boy fell into their embrace. 

"Come on, let's go." The broker yanked Jack away. 

"Be gentle with him!" Sabrina and Jayden called out as the broker sent Jack back. 

"Did you guys get a location?" Jayden and Sabrina called Det. Torres and Alex the second they returned home. 

"We did. Thank God you turned on your location." Alex grinned. 

"We just have to wait for the other party to turn up and we can swoop them up in one shot." Det. Torres commented. 

"We'll try to speed things up." Jayden nodded. 

"Good job so far you two." Det. Torres praised. 

"Don't get too used to being a couple though..." Alex called out. Sabrina blushed. 

~

"I'm doing good, Lola. How about you? Does your leg bother you recently?" Jayden had stepped out to video call Lola Agnes. 

"I'm good, Apo. You take care as well, okay?" Lola Agnes assured Jayden. 

"I'll come visit you soon, I promise." Jayden missed Lola Agnes. 

"I'll be waiting." Lola Agnes smiled. 

"Love you, Lola." Jayden waved. 

"Me too, Apo." Lola Agnes waved goodbye. 

"Was that Lola Agnes?" Jayden turned at the sound of Tricia's voice. 

"Yeah..." Jayden nodded. 

"I can check in for you if you need..." Tricia offered. 

"I'm planning on going over this weekend...I heard from Lola that you've been visiting as well. Thank you for checking in, I really appreciate it." Jayden smiled warmly. 

"It's nothing. I enjoy Lola's presence too." Tricia returned with a small smile. 

"How is Kaela?" Jayden wondered. 

"She keeps asking when you'd visit but she sleeps with the dinosaur you gave her every night." Tricia chuckled. 

"That's good...How about you? Has work been tough?" Jayden finally mustered the courage to ask. 

"As usual." Tricia shrugged. 

"Don't overwork yourself. Get enough rest..." Jayden reminded Tricia. 

"Same goes to you." Tricia didn't know what else to say. 

"Did Kaela happen to pass you anything?" Jayden wondered if Tricia got his letter. 

"I read it." Tricia nodded. 

"I meant everything I said." Jayden emphasised. 

"I could see..." Tricia shoved her hands into her pocket. 

"I really treasure what we have..." Jayden confessed. 

"What we have?" Tricia probed. 

"I mean...our friendship and..." Jayden was about to continue when he was interrupted. 

"Dinner's ready! Oh, hello Tricia!" Sabrina was glad to see Tricia. 

"Hi Sabrina." Tricia waved. 

"Did you guys meet downstairs?" Sabrina wondered. 

"I guess you could say that..." Tricia nodded. 

"I've set the table, let's go before the food gets cold." Sabrina smiled at Jayden. 

"Uh...I..." Jayden hadn't finished his conversation with Tricia.

"I shan't disturb you guys then, enjoy your dinner." Tricia gave them an awkward smile before scurrying off. Jayden looked longingly at the disappearing figure. 

"Come on." Sabrina dragged Jayden into their own apartment. 

A/N: 

Oh Sabrina...I love you but why are you always so untimely :"/

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.9K 476 36
Chief Inspector Camila Cabello of Cambridge Station 4 in UK was respected by the citizens there, she was loved because of her good deeds that the cit...
9.7K 331 30
This is a Duterte - Robredo fan fiction story. They found his body, 2012, and buried it. They found his body again. Almost 6 years since they buried...
3.4K 231 41
Because no matter how many times she says that she is over him, she always catches herself getting butterflies when all he does is smile at her.
146K 5.1K 52
This is ONLY A FANFICTION about VP Leni and Sen Risa. If you are uncomfortable, please don't read. Enjoy <3