The Darkest Temptation ✔️

By Midika

*Mature Content Warning* I rest both my hands against the table. "I'll go on another date with you, if you t... More

ONE
TWO
THREE
FOUR
FIVE
SIX
SEVEN
EIGHT
NINE
TEN
ELEVEN
TWELVE
THIRTEEN
FOURTEEN
FIFTEEN
SIXTEEN
SEVENTEEN
EIGHTEEN
NINETEEN
TWENTY
TWENTY ONE
TWENTY TWO
TWENTY THREE
TWENTY FOUR
TWENTY FIVE
TWENTY SIX
TWENTY SEVEN
TWENTY EIGHT
TWENTY NINE
THIRTY
THIRTY ONE
THIRTY TWO
THIRTY THREE
THIRTY FOUR
THIRTY FIVE
THIRTY SIX
THIRTY EIGHT
THIRTY NINE
FORTY
FORTY ONE
FORTY TWO
FORTY THREE
FORTY FOUR
FORTY FIVE
FORTY SIX
FORTY SEVEN
FORTY EIGHT
FORTY NINE
FIFTY
Epilogue

THIRTY SEVEN

7.2K 205 11
By Midika

Word Count: 1991

~Tove

I wander down the stairs in the morning, a plan already formulated in my head.

As much as I tried to avoid it, Relm's words have dug into my mind and stayed there. If Keo knows about the potential mass death of many people, then my trust of him has largely diminished.

How could I be mated to someone like that?

"Alright, so I think we can do a little more training today and we should be ready to start moving between realms," he tells me before I've even made it within close proximity of him.

I yawn, rubbing my eyes. I spent most of last night panicking about what Relm has told me, and then coming up with my plan.

Keo is good at reading me, so I have to be careful.

"Ah, I'm not feeling all that great today, Keo," I tell him, resting my hand over my forehead. I can't be sick enough that he wants to be home taking care of me, but it needs to be enough to get out of training with him today.

He frowns, concern fluttering in his eyes. "What's wrong?"

"I have a terrible migraine, and I don't think I like it here," I admit, motioning around me.

We are in Territory Six, which I am actually quite fond of, but if I'm going to find the information I need, then this place will not suffice. This place is nothing more than a stop for Keo as he travels around.

"Why don't you go lie down and I'll bring you some water?" he offers softly.

Any other time I would be flattered by his sudden kindness, but now is not the time for him to be doting.

"Honestly, I think all the moving around is screwing with my head," I sigh. At least that much is true. "I don't feel comfortable anywhere."

He brushes some hair back from my face, examining it, looking for actual sickness, and not the theoretical kind that I'm mentioning. He won't find anything off about me other than this anxiousness I'm struggling to hide.

What if this isn't the real Keo? What if I'm mated to a monster?

"I can't take you back to Territory One, not with Nobles around," he reminds me.

"What about the place in Territory Two? I liked it there..." I ask innocently.

If he thinks about it too much, he may realise I'm trying to investigate his life. After everything that has been shared between us now, he has no reason to be suspicious of me, though.

"I suppose I can take you back there if it will make you feel better," he concedes, smiling tightly, clearly weighing up whether it's actually safe to be back there.

"It would."

He nods. "Alright. Take my hand."

I can't take his hand fast enough. Admittedly, I do like the place in Territory Two, but what excites me the most as the world crumbles away around us, if the possibility of finally getting answers.

Soon enough my feet are touching the wood floor of the first place Keo ever took me to.

"Ah, I missed this place," I breathe, turning around in a circle.

Only a couple feet away is the balcony Keo once threw me off in an attempt to get me out of my own head. It worked, even if I do sometimes have nightmares about it.

Keo waves his hand, the glass doors opening, letting in a warm, sea scented breeze.

"I enjoy this place too. It's far from others and no one has yet to come across it. It's the closest place I've ever considered to be home," he admits, shoving his hands into his pockets.

"Do you ever think you'll be able to settle down one day?" I ask lightly. I don't want him to think I'm trying to get rid of him.

He sighs, shaking a stray piece of dark hair from his eye.

"I'm not sure. I have the hope that I will, but I cannot be sure Angel-bloods will never not want to hunt and kill me."

Every time he says 'Angel-blood's,' I can hear the bitterness and hatred in his voice. Sometimes I wonder how he can claim to want me, and yet hate my ancestors. I don't blame him, but the thought does still plague me, despite his insistence otherwise.

"I hate all this running. I miss my life," I mutter. I miss normality.

He looks down at me, a flash of sadness in his eyes melting away into guilt.

"It will all work out, don't worry," he assures me softly.

"Mmm, I hope so." I rub my temple, subtly reminding him of the headache I supposedly have. I've made enough polite conversation for him to hopefully not be suspicious, willing to leave me alone here for the rest of the day.

He rubs a hand down my arm. "Go lie down. I need you feeling good for tomorrow."

I smile tightly. If I can find evidence that Keo is aware of any harm that may befall others due to me transporting Demon's to another realm, then can I really continue with my training?

"What are you going to be doing for the rest of the day?" I ask lightly, smoothing my hands down my pants.

"We are still hunting down Vail's murderer, so I'll be dealing with that," he exclaims, frowning a little. Hunting down this murderer has been stressing him out more than he is willing to divulge to me.

I would ask him about it, but there are other things I need to attend to.

"Alright, I'll see you later then."

"Hey, Tove," Keo says, grabbing my arm before I can rush off upstairs. "Feel better okay?"

I nod mutely. For a brief moment, I feel guilty for lying to him. That moment passes very quickly, when I remember my conversation with Relm.

Making my way upstairs, I collapse onto the bed I haven't laid in for weeks. I remember the first night I stared up at this ceiling, afraid, confused and frightened of the dark eyed man who had suddenly recruited me into his life.

Now, I know he is my mate. Now, I know so much more about him....

I wait half an hour until I'm certain Keo is gone, before I get up, wandering downstairs. I take my time sweeping through the entire place, ensuring that I'm entirely alone.

And then, I start.

First I start in his bedroom. There's a fleeting moment of hesitation before I pass through the threshold, aware I'm breaching his most personal space. I don't end up finding anything anyways.

Then, I move onto the library, trying to avoid the one space I know I'll ultimately find what I'm looking for. Part of me is scared that the truth will be the last thing I want to hear.

I reach his office, everywhere else thoroughly searched.

Releasing a deep breath, I touch the brass handle, turning it slowly. Part of me wishes it was locked, and yet, it swings wide open. I'm hopeful that means he isn't afraid of what I'll find...

I start at his desk, sifting through neat piles.

Most of it is painfully boring, drawing multiple yawns out of me. I only stop once I catch the words 'Demon' and 'Realm.'

Frowning, I peer closer. It's a letter sent to Keo from someone clearly involved in his plot. It details the list of Demon's to be transferred and exactly where they will end up.

None of these names are familiar, and neither of the place names in this other Realm...I have a lot to learn, if I get the chance.

Sifting through more of the paper, I search for more compelling evidence.

Next, I find a list of Angel-blood's. Upon further inspection, I come to realise it's a list of those most at risk to him. One's to kill, maybe, although the document doesn't state that exactly.

I search for my name, or for any other Angel-blood's I know, but there are none. I feel a bit of relief, although the list is still unnerving.

And then, a folder slips out from the bottom of the pile, tumbling to the ground.

Swallowing thickly, I sweep down and pick it up, laying it flat over the desk to examine.

It's about me...

Flipping through the pages, I take in the myriad of details relating to me, my life...everything. It's shocking, disturbing even. When Keo created this, I don't know, but it's clear he was studying my life for some time.

My breath quickens as I reach a hand-written letter he has involved in the folder. It appears to be one he decided not to send, addressed to Wren.

My heart plummets as I realise he is detailing his plan for me. He makes note of using my magic, and then his plans for once I've done as he pleases.

He plans to kill me.

I let the folder flip closed, bring my hand up to cover my mouth. Whether that is his intention anymore, I don't know, but it was, when he claimed it wasn't. He states in the letter that he would have no other choice, as Angel-blood's cannot be trusted, and that it is likely that I would confide in another about his plan.

My stomach turns. Were all his promises recently false? Is he still lying to me to get what he wants? It's hard to tell.

He's my mate, I want to trust him, but-

"Tove?"

I jump, backing away from the desk. He has a wary frown embedded into his forehead, taking in the sight of me, spooked with all the colour having drained from my face.

I need to go. Far. I have to run away, to hide from him, in case I am being manipulated by the mate bond.

"Oh...hey," I say stupidly.

"What are you doing in here?" he questions.

"I got bored. I wanted a book," I tell him, motioning to his personal collection that lines the wall.

He examines me, then the bookshelf, seeming content with that excuse. He has no reason not to trust me, or to suspect I'm lying.

"Are you feeling better?"

"Much better, although I'm quite tired," I tell him, fanning my face. "I think I'm going to go get some sleep."

I'm not good at lying, so I make to walk past him, wanting to get some space so I can think everything through. As I brush past him, he grabs my wrist.

"Hey, what's wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong," I say quickly, tugging my arm away. He frowns at my haste. He's far too perceptive for me to be dealing with in my state.

"You seem...off," he notices, dragging his gaze over me. I try not to fidget. I've already made it as obvious as I can, unable to help myself.

I just can't stop thinking about his true intentions. Those eyes, as kind as they look over me now, belong to a man who may be intending to kill me. I mean, not even his mate may be enough to stop his plans.

"Off? No, it's just because I'm tired," I exclaim dismissively. "Did you figure anything new out with Vail's murder?"

He runs a hand through his hair, obviously stressed. "We did. But I'll tell you tomorrow."

I nod. Good, because I can't bring myself to concentrate on that right now, even if it is important to me.

"Alright, well, goodnight." I give him a little wave, feeling foolish.

He gives me a long, drawn look. He knows something is wrong, but he's choosing not to push it. At times he is good at giving me space.

"Yeah. Goodnight."

💜••💜

Want more? You can read 10 chapters ahead on Radish!!

I hope you enjoyed this chapter (:

OUT NOW ON RADISH AND WATTPAD

~Midika 💜🐼

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

179K 4.7K 40
(COMPLETED) (Highest rank #7) We stared at each other. My palms starts to sweat. My heart was beating fast. Im trembling in a good way. For Pete's sa...
72.7K 2.4K 44
A/N: People seem to think that this is a werewolf story and adding it to their werewolf reading list, it's not, it does have some werewolves in it bu...
81.2K 1.7K 32
I walked out of the bathroom and felt a presence behind me. I turned around and I felt a pair of strong arms around my waist and slammed me into the...
2.8M 49.9K 19
"You know you can't resist me much longer." He continued to trail kisses down my neck and jaw. I bit my lip to keep a moan from escaping. "I am yo...