Light in the Dark

By silentrambles

To Tricia, Detective Jayden Rivera was a little too reckless and aloof for her liking. Yet Tricia couldn't he... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: Nice to Meet You?
Chapter 2: White (#FFFFFF)
Chapter 3: Beige (#F4EED8)
Chapter 4: Yellow (#FFBF34)
Chapter 5: Green (#A9D39E)
Chapter 6: Blue (#ADD8E6)
Chapter 7: Purple (#CEC2EB)
Chapter 8: Red (#F88379)
Chapter 9: Grey (#C0C0C2)
Chapter 10: Pink (#FEC5E5)
A/N: Update Schedule and Comments
Chapter 12: Coincidences
Chapter 13: Explanations
Chapter 14: Shadows
Chapter 15: Deadlines
Chapter 16: Finally
Chapter 17: Beginnings
Chapter 18: Bonds
A/N: Updates
Chapter 19: Breaking the news
Chapter 20: Goodbye and Revelations
A/N: When I do
Chapter 21: All's Good?
Chapter 22: MY
Chapter 23: Possibilities
Chapter 24: Crossroads
Chapter 25: Risky
Chapter 26: Pain
Chapter 27: Missing You
Chapter 28: Hope
Chapter 29: Repress
A/N: Which would be better?
Chapter 30: Counting down
Chapter 31: To J
Chapter 32: Opportunities
Chapter 33: Finale Part 1
Chapter 34: To Trish
Chapter 35: Man Down
Chapter 36: All is well
A/N: Coming to an end soon :')
Chapter 37: I hate you, I'm sorry
Chapter 38: Promises
Chapter 39: Family
Chapter 40: 1 + 1 + 1 = 1
Chapter 41: Kumpas
Finale: The Grace of our Beloved Morning Star

Chapter 11: Orange (#F28500)

139 14 0
By silentrambles

"Sir, we've found a match!" Alex came rushing into the station. 

"Match?" Det. Torres looked up from his computer. 

"For Kaela!" Alex replied. 

"Kaela?" Jayden immediately took an interest. 

"Kaela's from Malaysia." Alex flashed the information up on the screen. 

"Kaela, 4 years old. From Kuala Lumpur, been in Hope Orphanage since birth. The head sister reported Kaela missing 3 months ago." Alex briefed. 

"That's it? What's Kaela's full name? Birthday?" Jayden frowned at the sparse information. 

"The kids in the orphanage usually come in with some form of identification but Kaela didn't have anything with her when they found her at the gate as a baby." Alex shook his head. 

"Does the embassy know yet?" Det. Torres checked. 

"The higher ups are planning to report it to the immigrations authority soon. Kaela's technically an undocumented immigrant now..." Alex sighed. 

"Will she get deported?" Jayden was worried. 

"If the authorities want to, they technically can." Det. Torres answered. 

"But we still haven't found her friends...and she still needs medical attention." Jayden reasoned. 

"We will see what the authorities say first...if need be, we can request for an extension of stay for Kaela as an important witness to the case." Det. Torres assured Jayden. 

"Any news from the informants? We don't have much time..." Jayden turned to Alex. 

"We just got wind that they are looking out for wealthy couples interested to adopt, either locally or internationally." Alex nodded, thankfully. 

"I guess we're taking the undercover route?" Det. Torres looked at the team. 

"One thing though, they are very thorough with their work." Alex sighed. 

"Thorough as in?" Sabrina wondered. 

"They do very stringent checks on the couples that adopt from them. Any possible links to the police or law enforcement authorities, the deal falls through immediately. The entire process leading up to the actual adoption is done by a broker to ensure they don't get their identities blown." Alex explained the complex and tight process. 

"Makes sense from a syndicate as big and complicated as theirs." Jayden processed what Alex had just said. 

"So how are we going undercover?" Sabrina asked the most important question. 

"We just need one of you guys to be a couple with Sabrina. We can work the rest out after we settle this. Sabrina, you have the honour of choosing your husband." Det. Torres looked at the younger members. 

"Uh...I..." Sabrina looked at Jayden and Alex with contemplation. 

"I think I make a good husband...Jayden will just bore you." Alex 'promoted' himself.

"Sir, can you just choose for me?" Sabrina looked at Det. Torres, unable to decide. 

"Really? Jayden, you're more experienced in going undercover. You'll do it with Sabrina." Det. Torres made the call. 

"Yes, Sir." Jayden nodded. 

"This is my first time going undercover...Can I just follow your lead?" Sabrina asked nervously. 

"I've only gone undercover alone...but as your senior, I promise I won't let you get into any danger." Jayden assured the younger female. 

"Thank you, Sir..." Sabrina tried to hide her shy smile. 

"You'll be in good hands, Sabrina. Jayden's one of our best undercover agents." Det. Torres gave Sabrina a pat on the back. 

"Why not me, Sir?" Alex protested after everything. 

"I need you for intel and to liaise with the informants. Plus, Jayden looks more expensive than you." Det. Torres added the joke. 

"Excuse me?" Alex gasped, making the entire team chuckle. 

~

"Good evening, Nurse Rose." Jayden greeted the lady. 

"Hi Jayden, here for Dr Tricia?" Nurse Rose knew immediately. 

"Actually, I'm here for all of you. We've got news on Kaela's identity." Jayden smiled weakly. 

"Talaga? Is it good or bad news?" Nurse Rose bit her lip. 

"Could I see you and Dr Tricia for a while?" Jayden needed to talk to the ladies. 

"Sure, I'll page Dr Tricia to meet in her office." Nurse Rose nodded. 

"Nurse Rose, you called?" Tricia asked as she opened her office door. 

"Jayden has updates on Kaela." Nurse Rose pulled out a chair for Tricia, who gave Nurse Rose a grateful nod. 

"Have you found out Kaela's identity?" Tricia was equally anxious. 

"We got news that Kaela's from Malaysia. She was reported missing from her orphanage in Kuala Lumpur 3 months ago. She's been in the orphanage since she was an infant but there's nothing about her family and her actual birthdate." Jayden gave Tricia and Nurse Rose a quick run down. 

"Oh...so she's technically here illegally?" Nurse Rose gasped. 

"Yes, but we've informed the immigration authorities about her status..." Jayden nodded. 

"Is Kaela getting deported?" Tricia had the same worry as Jayden. 

"Not for now. Sir managed to convince the authorities to place Kaela on a temporary visit visa based on the fact that she's a key witness to this case. The Malaysian authorities have also agreed to let Kaela stay on for now..." Jayden assured. 

"That's a relief...but what about her medical insurance and bills?" Nurse Rose wondered. 

"That's what I'm here to discuss. Neither country has raised an intention to sponsor her current medical fees. Is there a foundation or charity that we could request temporary support for?" Jayden broke the news. 

"I've been trying but many organisations currently only support legal citizens due to complications and fear of backlash..." Tricia had exhausted her options. 

"I hate to break it to you but the higher-ups did sent in a bill under Kaela's name this morning...Dr Tricia managed to get them to extend the deadline but it won't be for long." Nurse Rose interjected with a sigh. 

"For now, I've managed to secure a portion of our hospital's charity funds but this amount won't last Kaela for very long." Tricia agreed. 

"If there's not enough, I can fill the remainder." Jayden immediately took out his credit card. 

"Wow, you guys must earn a lot..." Nurse Rose joked. 

"Not much but it should be enough to foot a medical bill...at least I hope?" Jayden wasn't sure how much it cost. 

"Keep it for now, you'll need it soon." Tricia gave Jayden a smile. She still had a bit of money left. 

"Let me know whenever." Jayden listened to Tricia's advice. 

"I've got to run back to the nurse station, talk to you guys later!" Nurse Rose dashed off. 

"Do you wanna see Kaela?" Tricia offered after Nurse Rose left. 

"Sure." Jayden nodded. 

"Hey sweetie, look who's here?" Tricia knocked on the door of Kaela's ward. 

"Trishie! Hello, Jaydie!" Kaela waved to both adults excitedly. 

"Hi Kaela, how have you been?" Jayden smiled as he bent down to talk to Kaela. 

"Good and bad. Good because I'm no longer in the scary cage and there's Trishie. Bad because I miss my friends..." Kaela couldn't decide on one emotion. 

"Can I ask you something about the place you grew up in?" Jayden was careful. Kaela nodded. 

"You grew up in Malaysia, right?" Jayden started off slow. Kaela nodded. 

"Do you know the name of the place you stayed? And the people who took care of you?" Jayden wanted to make confirm Kaela's identity. 

"Hope House! Sister Amelia, Sister Rachel and Sister Teresa took care of us!" Kaela recounted. 

"That's right, Kaela." Jayden recognised the names from the missing report that he'd read. 

"Are they looking for me?" Kaela's eyes brightened up. 

"They are...they told the Malaysian police that you were gone. They're very worried about you..." Jayden smiled at Kaela. 

"Really? I miss them and the friends in Hope House too...I haven't seen them in so long..." Kaela's face fell again. 

"I know you miss them, but for now, we need you to help us find your friends..." Jayden was trying to tell Kaela that they couldn't send her back immediately. 

"So I'm not going back to Malaysia yet?" Kaela understood immediately. 

"Will that be okay with you?" Jayden asked carefully. 

"I miss my friends but I also want Jack, Lily and Anna to be safe..." Kaela knew her friends back in Malaysia were safe, but not her friends here. 

"Thank you for understand, Kaela. I promise we'll get to your friends as soon as we can so you can go home." Jayden stroked Kaela's head. 

"I trust you, Jaydie." Kaela held Jayden's hand in hers, giving him the brightest smile ever. 

"I won't let you down, Kaela." Jayden was resolute. 

"Trishie, you'll make me all better before I go home right?" Kaela turned to Tricia. 

"I'll do my best, just like Jayden." Tricia smiled. 

"I trust you too, Trishie." Kaela held Tricia's hand with her other free one. 

~

"Need a ride?" Jayden offered after he and Tricia had put Kaela to sleep. 

"You sure? It's probably been a long day for you..." Tricia didn't want to impose. 

"Don't worry about it." Jayden assured.  

"How's the sticker count coming along?" Tricia asked the second she got into Jayden's car. 

"I haven't counted. But I've been rewarding myself appropriately, I think..." Jayden was nervous as Tricia fished the book out of his bag. 

"27...28...29..." Tricia counted out loud. 

"That's more than I thought..." Jayden didn't know he'd been so 'generous' with himself. 

"And 1 more for today. So that makes it 30." Tricia pasted the last one. 

"What did I do to get the last sticker?" Jayden chuckled. 

"I just felt like you deserved it. Sometimes, you just trust your instinct. Okay, so what's your wish?" Tricia grinned. 

"I...haven't thought of it...I didn't know it'd be this fast..." Jayden's mind was blank. 

"What comes to mind when I say treat. Quick, 3...2...1!" Tricia rushed. 

"Uh...Froyo?" Jayden muttered the first thing that came to mind. 

"Froyo it is then." Tricia clapped. 

"I'll be a little busy soon so I may not be able to visit Kaela as often...but Alex will be here if necessary." Jayden took a spoonful of his froyo. 

"Oh...going full swing into catching the scary men?" Tricia inferred. 

"Yeah, I'm sorry I can't say much but we're trying to be as swift and effective as possible. We want to reduce the number of children involved in this." Jayden pursed his lips. 

"Don't worry about it. Just try not to get hurt, I won't have time to treat you if you come in." Tricia lightened the mood. 

"I'll try...also, I'll continue giving myself stickers." Jayden smiled. 

"If you aren't done with your work by the time you hit 60 stickers, we can double it when you hit 90." Tricia grinned. 

"Deal." Jayden nodded. 

"We can still text? I can send you updates on Kaela. I'm sure she'll want to see you, at least through calls?" Tricia wondered. 

"Definitely. Reach me whenever you or Kaela need me." Jayden would always make time for people important to him. 

"I don't know much about how the police works but good luck." Tricia wished as Jayden stopped in front of her condo. 

"Thank you, Tricia. And sorry." Jayden looked at Tricia. 

"No saying sorry, remember?" Tricia made a face. 

"My bad...I mean...Good night." Jayden corrected himself. 

"Good night...Remember, stay safe." Tricia reached over and gave Jayden a hug. 

"I will. I promise." Jayden found himself naturally wrapping his hands around Tricia as well. He'd never thought he'd find this much warmth in a friendly hug. 

"See you around." Tricia broke the hug and got off the car. As usual, Jayden watched until Tricia disappeared into the building. 

Heart rate: 140 bpm

"What's wrong with you, Jayden Rivera...You know you can't..." Jayden knew the answer to his question full well. 

A/N:

Oooh...Jayden's falling <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.1K 762 5
one shots on fateh and Tejo
108K 2.3K 22
re uploaded. don't leave annoying comments. i'll fix the cover later.
1K 51 8
Hoping for her father to come back home, Leni decided that it's best for her to start working in a rich family's home. Not expecting her future to be...
17.2K 247 20
Impregnating her without knowing, will love still be rekindled after knowing she hid their daughter from him?