Sailing With Destiny

By Bookworm_Tina

"Do you have any idea how damn frustrating you are?" He trapped me between him and the wall. Stubbornly, I l... More

Preface
Paris
Pont des Arts
Monte Carlo
Sumptuous Repast
BlackJack
St Tropez
Friend or Foe
Provoke
Morning Coffee
Portofino
Kayak
Kiss it Better
Tuscany
Off-route: London
Brotherly Things
The Marino's
Frustration
Corsica
Cherry
Ibiza
A Night in Ibiza
Costa Blanca
Cupcakes
CumpleaƱos
Fiesta
Old Wounds
Homebound
Vacation Over
New York
Bubbles and Beer
Petty
Class Day
Celebrate
Priorities
A Magical Day
I Hate My Birthday
Intern
Millie Bee
Summit
That Escalated
Ego
Liquid Courage
Predicament
Corporate Sexy
Dinner at Dad's 2.0
Anti-Mila
Voice of Reason
Fragile
Talk To Me
A Little Better
Not What You Need
Revelation And Secrets
Forgive Me?
Space
The Night Begins
Can The Night End Already
I don't Know You Anymore
He's Still My Friend
I Got You, Always
Wedding Date
Friends
The Calm
Before
The Storm
I Promise
I Hate Halloween
Best Friend or Girlfriend?
Decisions, Decisions
I Can't Live Without You
I Will Survive
Nostalgic
Holiday Surprises
I Trusted You
I Trusted You Too
A Mental Maze
Always
Mark My Words

Call It Destiny

1.6K 51 112
By Bookworm_Tina

Dedicated to all the beautiful readers of Sailing With Destiny

Why were movies, novels, and television series so misleading? At least the ones with happily ever afters were. The rom-com's Faith forced me to watch when we were still in school gave off an illusion. Life wasn't as simple as those stupid movies, and I supposed that's why they were so popular so people escaped the harsh reality of their lives and fed their brains some temporary serotonin.

Lies. The fictional world was a farce and gave off an unhealthy illusion that life could've ended happily. I could've counted the times I was truly happy in my life. I firmly believed all of that until him.

Like a silly stupid boy-meets-girl rom-com, I met Mitchell and at first, there was attraction until our meeting turned into a disaster. There was a time we hated each other but somehow, destiny had other plans and forced us to spend more time together than we would've liked. During that time, a friendship that would eventually blossom into a romantic relationship grew. The person I only intended to have a one-night stand with became my everything.

However, unlike a cheesy romantic comedy, our relationship wasn't always steady. We had many obstacles and issues. We worked through almost all of them until I realized that the biggest issue was me and my reluctance to let go of the past. 

For the first time, Mitchell and I separated on good terms with a mutual understanding. It wasn't easy at first but the more time I took for myself, it got easier. However, I still missed him more each day. 

We never cut off contact entirely, we kept in touch and at first, we talked more often until we realized that daily contact wasn't helping. So, we tried to limit daily contact to every fortnight. It was almost impossible at first but we learned to adapt. When Mitchell stayed in LA, it made it easier. 

The last time we saw each other was at Kelsey's trial two months ago. We didn't speak much but both testified. Kelsey was given the punishment she deserved and once her time was served, she was to be sent back to The UK and I doubted she would return. Mitchell and I spoke briefly but ever since our contact had been very limited. So much so that I hadn't heard from him in over six weeks. 

Four months had easily passed. Work kept me busy and I enjoyed my time at the hospital. Dr. Nowak was a lot easier to work with and I spent more time with Wang and my friends. 

I had weekly appointments with Noel and talking about my trauma in therapy helped. Noel was brilliant at his job and made me very comfortable talking about things that were hard to open up about. 

It was a chilly spring day and I had just left Noel's office and was on my way to see Leo. Leo had his good days and bad, but it was all part of his recovery. Leo had found a stem cell donor and they were right under his nose.

Leo's brother's wife gave birth to a healthy baby boy in early February and with Lorenzo's insistence, the baby was tested and miraculously a match with Leo. 

Leo got a stem cell transplant shortly after the baby was born from cord blood. Cord blood stem cells were collected from the umbilical cord and placenta after the baby was born. It was touch and go for a while and Leo struggled with some side effects but it had been almost two months and he was a lot better. 

I knew it was going to take a while before Leo would've been one hundred percent better but he was going to live and that made me happy. As promised, I drew a line between us but our friendship was still as good. Leo was in a good space after a long time and no longer looked at me with so much longing. 

Katie visited often and their friendship flourished. I developed an even better relationship with her and was grateful to her for all she did for Leo. She brought a smile to his face and brightened his days – she might've even had a small crush on him. 

"I'm so sick of eating green stuff," Leo whined. "My poop is even green."

I scrunched my nose. "TMI but be careful not to eat shit instead of your food."

"At this point, both are shit."

"Hey, don't insult food. Abuela and your Nonna would kill you if they heard that," I playfully scolded. "Besides broccoli and cheddar soup is really good."

Leo sighed. "I'm Italian, I need real food not... plants."

"Plants are what will help with stem cell growth," I explained "After a few months you can go back to eating flesh."

"You make that sound so bad," Leo scowled. "But it's better than this."

"Are you judging my cooking?"

"Yes."

"Leo," I warned. "Eat."

Leo sulked but did as he was told. I softly laughed as I watched him. He looked his best in months. He gained some weight and was no longer so pale. His hair had grown back quite a bit too. My heart filled with joy knowing that my best friend was going to be okay. 

"You're more than welcome to finish my meal if you want."

"I don't."

Leo placed the spoon down. "Then why are you staring at me?"

I half shrugged and smiled. "I guess I'm happy."

"About?"

"For the first time in my life, I feel that I'm okay," I admitted. "I feel the happiest in my adult life. The nightmares have stopped, I'm able to drive again and I've made peace with the bad memories of my childhood."

Leo grinned. "That makes me happy."

"I'm not perfectly alright but I'm a lot better."

"Progress is progress and I'm proud of you," Leo earnestly smiled. 

"And you're going to be alright," I smiled widely. 

"Yeah," Leo huffed. "What a fucking journey this has been."

"And you made it," I said. "For that, I'm so proud of you. You're one of the strongest people I know."

"I had a great support system," Leo grinned. "I owe a lot to you too."

"You owe me nothing. For everything you've done for me, I owe you a lot. I appreciate you and our friendship so much," I placed a hand over his. "Thank you for being my lifejacket when I felt like I was drowning."

"That's what friends are for," Leo patted my hand. "Now enough with the sentimental stuff and tell me if you're going to LA next weekend."

My smile waned and I slipped my hand away. I twiddled my thumbs and pursed my lips. Owen and Faith were about to celebrate their first marriage anniversary and invited their closest friends and family for a little party. 

After Faith and Owen heard about what happened with Kelsey, they flew over and spent a week with me. Faith was at my side all the time and took care of me as a sister would have. Owen went back to be with his family, but Faith stayed back until I had to assure her I was alright. 

After all of that, I couldn't have not attended their party. I'd been a part of Faith's love story since the first day and I saw how madly in love she was with Owen. As her best friend, I owed it to her to be there, but something held me back. 

Mitchell.

We hadn't seen or spoken to each other in a while. I missed him but wasn't sure if I was ready to see him again. I'd made a lot of progress with myself and feared my emotions would get the best of me when I saw him again - I wasn't even sure if I was ready to pick up where we left off. 

"Earth to Mila," Leo waved his hand in front of my face. 

"I don't know if I'm going."

"Why? Scared you'll bump into the big bad ex?"

"No," my tone went up a notch. "I'm not scared of anyone."

"Sure about that?"

I sighed and ran a hand through my hair. "I just don't know if I'm ready to see him as yet."

"Or are you scared you'll fall in love with him all over again?"

"N-no... I mean... I don't know."

"You've made so much progress, and I can understand why you're scared to dive back into a relationship but maybe you should go with the flow," Leo reasoned. "You've always had a plan and let's be real, your plans never followed through. I don't know you better than you know yourself, but I think you'll know where you stand better when you see him again."

"I know that I still love him."

"Then go find out if you're ready to be with him again," Leo said. "Although, I'm not sure if he'll be there. Katie mentioned that he's currently out of the country for work."

I felt something like disappointment settle in the pit of my stomach. "He is?"

Leo went back to eating and nodded. "He might be back in time or not, she's not sure."

"Hmm."

"Forget Mitch, I think you should be there for your friends."

I nodded. "You're right."

"Of course, I am," Leo smugly said. 

"And what about you?" I teasingly bumped into his shoulder. "Are you going as Kate's plus one?"

"No, why would I do that?" Leo frowned. "Besides, Gemma invited me for a tea party so I'll be here."

"You seriously don't see it?" 

"See what?"

I rolled my eyes and shook my head. "For a smart guy, you're pretty stupid."

"Huh?"

I tapped his shoulder. "It's okay Leonardo, you'll understand one day soon enough."

"Understand what?"

I stood and grabbed my purse. "I've got to go."

"Mila?"

"Ciao Leonardo." I waved and left him in confusion. 

***

I scrolled through my phone while I sat in the airport lounge the next week. I decided to attend Faith and Owen's anniversary party. I was a little nervous because there was a high possibility that I would've seen Mitchell. I didn't know how I would've reacted, but I promised myself to play it cool. 

It had been almost a year since I visited LA. The last time I was there was when I got back from the yacht trip with Mitchell – it felt like a lifetime ago. Even though it was what I wanted, I felt slightly dejected that Mitchell and I hadn't made any contact in what felt like forever. 

To distract myself, I scrolled through my phone. My mind wasn't all there as I passed pictures on social media in a flash. I scrolled through many pictures until one caught my eye. I slid back and knew my eyes didn't deceive me when I saw Mitchell. 

It wasn't his post, his account was pretty much dormant, but it was a picture of him and a tall, leggy brunette. He looked as handsome as ever, dressed in a tux and the beautiful woman stood beside him in a black dress with a thigh-high slit with her arm looped through his. The caption explained that the young heir attended the opening of a new hotel in Queensland, Australia. 

My stomach churned in distaste, and I suddenly grew bitter. I hated it but I was jealous. I told myself that I needed to trust Mitchell and his promises to me, but we weren't together, and nothing stopped him from having a fling. I never laid out rules nor did I make him promise to remain single and celibate while we took a break. 

Stop it, Mila. He's there for work and she's probably no one. You have no right to be jealous and possessive. 

I closed the app and locked my phone. I took a deep breath and told myself not to overthink. Even if Mitchell was casually seeing someone, I had no right to be upset. But I also trusted him, I doubted he would've started seeing someone so soon. 

I was paranoid and blinded by jealousy. I knew Mitchell well and when he loved, he did so with all his heart. It was never easy for him to move on easily. I scolded myself for doubting him, even if it was in a moment of jealousy. 

I looked forward to celebrating Faith and Owen and focused on that. However, I was a little disappointed that Mitchell wouldn't be there. He was on the other end of the world and there was no way he would've made it back in time. I was to stay in LA for the weekend only because I had work on Monday. 

That night in my hotel, my hand danced over Mitchell's chat. I wanted to text him but hesitated because it felt odd and I didn't know what to say. My cheeks warmed as I read through our last texts. I recalled one night some time ago when we got a little carried away with texting and ended up sexting. Mitchell had the filthiest mouth and re-reading our texts made me blush and got me a little hot and bothered. 

After our 'heated' conversation, I felt a little awkward and embarrassed. Mitchell's last text was to wish me goodnight and ever since I didn't respond, neither of us talked. 

I eventually grew tired, put my phone aside, and fell asleep. Wang was to arrive the next morning with Dante, and I knew I needed the energy to keep up with Wang and his gimmicks. 

I packed a dress for the party but didn't feel it when I stood in front of the mirror the next morning. I had some time to spare so I went shopping. For the first time, I splurged on myself and didn't worry about the price of a dress. 

It didn't take long to find a dress. I also arranged for a large bouquet to be delivered to Faith and Owen's and got them a couple's gift to celebrate their first wedding anniversary. 

The dress I picked out gave me a little confidence. The backless, champagne-colored dress sat tightly. It reached mid-thigh with a slightly plunging neckline and spaghetti straps. The dress had delicate flower patterns adorned with gold sequins. I kept my hair sleek and straight and opted for a nude makeup look. I finished off my look with a pair of nude heels and after I grabbed my gold purse, I was ready to leave. 

It was weird that I was no longer nervous when I knew Mitchell wasn't going to be there. I walked into the venue with confidence and recognized some faces from the wedding. The party was held at a hotel on the beach to commemorate their island wedding. 

The theme was gold and white and had a summer vibe. Everything was set up beautifully with a champagne fountain in the middle of the room. Wang was there before me and excitedly waved me over as soon as our eyes met. 

Before I reached Wang, Faith cut me off and engulfed me in a tight hug. Her face looked a little fuller and brighter. She smiled widely and looked beautiful in a white sequined dress. 

"I'm so happy you made it," Faith smiled widely. "And you look amazing."

I checked her out. "You're one to talk. Are you and Owen planning to renew your vows?"

Faith waved me off. "I think we've had one too many weddings already."

I laughed. "The almost Vegas one was my favorite."

Faith shot me a look. "I bet it was. I mean it was the start of your love story."

I smiled and my heart sank a little. It was at that moment that I realized how much I wanted to see Mitchell. All along what I thought were nerves were just butterflies of anticipation. Being in a similar setting to Faith and Owen's wedding took me back to our reunion in Bora Bora. It also marked a year since Mitchell confessed his feelings to me. 

I wish you were here, Bitchell.

"Speaking of," Faith began but was cut off by Owen.

"Mila!" Owen grabbed me into a bone-crushing hug. I tapped his shoulder and asked him to let me breathe before he let go of me. He held me at arm's length and grinned widely. "I thought you weren't going to show face but I'm so happy you're here."

"If I knew I was going to get so many hugs, I would've bailed," I teased with a scrunch of my nose.

Owen chuckled. "Ah, I remember the good old days when you threatened to dislocate my arm for hugging you. But you've grown so much from that violent girl."

Owen was about to hug me again but I put up a hand. "Not so much so don't annoy me."

Faith laughed and looped her arm through Owen's. "I've missed this. I wish all of us still lived in the same city."

"Well, it's only Mila that's sitting in another state," Owen said. "What will it take to get you to move here?"

"Nothing," I replied honestly. "My life is in New York. Apart from you guys, there's nothing here for me."

"Sure about that?" Owen's eyes fell on something behind me. 

I turned around and searched the room until I found what caught Owen's attention. My surroundings came to a still, everyone and everything blurred, and I only focused on one person. Dressed in all black with the top few buttons undone of his shirt, stood Mitchell. He looked as handsome and hot as ever. He always looked good, but I loved him in a suit, especially when he gave a little peak of his chest. 

His hair was styled neatly, and he looked fresh and clean. I stood on the opposite end of the room, but I could've virtually smelled him. I gulped and ignored the pace my heart raced. I grew anxious, and butterflies set flight in my stomach. 

He licked his lips and looked around the room before a gentleman walked up to him and shook his hand. His dimples faintly appeared on each cheek and not even his neatly trimmed stubble could've hidden them. 

"Do you see a fine bottle of wine?" Owen appeared in front of me with a wide, knowing grin. He wriggled his brows. "I bet you're dying to take a sip or down the whole damn bottle."

I blushed and I blinked out of my trance. I nervously laughed at the words Owen repeated that I shared years ago when I first saw Mitchell. 

"Huh? Huh?" Owen's annoying grin widened. 

I rolled my eyes. "You don't have a life if you remember something I said years ago."

"What can I say?" Owen pulled Faith to his side and kissed the side of her head. "That night will forever be imprinted in my memories."

Me too but not for the same reasons. 

My eyes found Mitchell again and I contemplated if I wanted to approach him. I was nervous to see him after so many months but also because I hadn't spoken to him since we exchanged sexts. I took a deep breath and remembered who I was - I rarely got nervous. It was Mitchell, I threw up in his mouth the first time I met him so there was no need to be apprehensive. 

"Go on," Owen nudged me. "I know you're dying to see him."

"Do I look pathetic?" 

"Pathetically in love," Faith cooed. 

"Ugh you two make me sick," I remarked under my breath. 

"Careful, if you're sick you might want to stay away from Mitch. He still has trauma from that night," Owen teased. 

"And the toilet still has trauma from leaving your business to marinade in it." I flashed him a humorless grin and walked away. 

I straightened my dress and breathed deeply but as I was about to step toward Mitchell, I stopped. Behind him, trailed a pretty young woman with dark hair cut into a bob. She wore a short dress and appeared as if she was with him. 

I didn't want to overanalyze anything so I ignored the jealous pang in my heart and stepped forward. However, I stopped again when I saw the woman hold Mitchell's forearm and he immediately focused all his attention on her. 

Could she be with him? No, she could be anyone. But why is she clinging to him like that? 

I shook away all unnecessary thoughts and reached for a glass of champagne. I stopped midway and thought alcohol might've acted like fuel to a jealous fire. I retracted my hand and made my way to the bar for a bottle of water instead. 

"Why are you drinking water when I just walked past something much yummier?"

I gulped down almost the entire bottle and scowled at Wang. "What are you on about now?"

Wang spoke with his eyes and I followed his gaze. Mitchell stood a few feet away with one hand in his pocket while the other held a glass of whiskey. Staring at him felt like I had withdrawals and needed a small taste to satisfy my craving. 

Was he always this hot or am I just horny? Snap out of it, Mila. 

"I'm talking about someone that you've been on," Wang winked. 

Mitchell's eyes moved in my direction, and I quickly snapped my neck in the opposite direction. I felt my heart beat against my ribcage and my pulse beat against my neck. I gulped and felt like a pathetic adolescent hiding from her crush. 

"Damn, Mils," Wang muttered. "I haven't seen you this uneasy around Mitch since Boston when you avoided him after –"

"I'm not uneasy," I cut him off. "I'm just thirsty."

"Hmm-mm, I can see that," Wang cooed. "With the way your man looks, I'd be dying of thirst too."

"He's not my..." I took a calming breath. "Where's Dante? I haven't seen him yet."

"Bathroom," Wang replied. "And don't think I didn't notice you change the subject. Why are you avoiding Mitch?"

"I'm not avoiding anyone," I stated. "Besides, it's a two-way road. I've been here for a while and so has he, if Mitchell wanted, he would've come over already. So, give me a brea-"

"I was waiting for the right time," A deep yet smooth voice spoke from behind me. 

I froze and if I thought my heart raced earlier, it was nothing compared to that moment. My throat felt dry, and the temperature suddenly raised yet I had goosebumps. 

Wang shot me a knowing grin and I didn't know what to do. I needed to play it cool and not give in to my feelings. 

"Hello, Jimmy," Mitchell greeted. "May I have a moment with Mila?"

I silently screamed with my eyes for Wang to say no but typically he didn't pay heed. 

"You don't need to ask twice," Wang raised his brow at me. "See you later."

"Wa-"

I wanted to run off but also to turn around and look at Mitchell. I didn't understand why I was so nervous. The first time we met, I approached him with confidence, yet I didn't know the meaning of the word at that moment. 

I huffed softly between my lips and was about to turn around but before I was able to, Mitchell placed his hand on the bar top, caging me in, and stepped around to face me. I stared at the top of his palm and somehow the veins and ruggedness of his fingers turned me on a little. 

"Are you not going to even look at me?" He spoke in a deep voice. "Or do my fingers interest you more?"

That sounds so wrong. He has to be doing this on purpose

Mitchell lightly brushed his fingers over mine. "I think yours are prettier," he said softly. "And the last we spoke, I was jealous of them."

Damn him for making me blush.

I squared my shoulders and boldly looked up. I was ready to say something in true Mila fashion but the second my eyes locked with his bright, blue-gray gaze I was at a loss for words. He stared straight into my eyes intensely. Every sound and figure around me blurred and he was the only person I saw. I inhaled deeply and his scent felt as if I got home after a very long time.

My lips parted and I was ready to say something, but my brain stopped working. It felt like I saw him for the first time yet also like we never parted ways. 

"I was told that the best was at the bar," Mitchell's eyes shamelessly ran up and down my body. "It seems they were right."

His cheesy words mimicked the first thing I ever said to him, which broke the moment and made me roll my eyes. I reached for my bottle of water, but Mitchell grasped my hand and stopped me. His touch sent a shiver down my spine, and I hated how pathetic I felt. 

"Are you only going to drink water?" His eyes sparkled with mischief. "Shouldn't you at least have one real drink?"

I slipped my hand out of his hold and took a sip of water to lubricate my dry throat. 

Mitchell softly chuckled under his breath. "Are you going to just stare at me, or do you also speak?"

"I speak," I finally said. "Why would you ask such a stup-"

"English?" Mitchell cut me off. 

I frowned and wondered why he asked such weird questions until it hit me that he used the exact words I used with him the first night we met. I was a little annoyed but mostly amused that he remembered everything. 

"Primarily, yes."

"Primarily," Mitchell drawled. "That's a word I haven't heard all night."

I raised my brow and hid my grin. "Oh yeah? Is that a bad thing?"

"No, it's just... colloquial seems to be the tone for this setting, no?"

"Colloquial," I drawled. "That's not a word I've heard all night either."

"Touche." Mitchell shrugged. "I'm willing to pick on each other's words if that's what you want but I'd rather get your name."

I rolled my eyes and stifled a laugh. I playfully slapped his chest. "Mitch."

Mitchell chuckled and before I was able to pull my hand away, he grabbed it and held it. The warmth from his palm spread through every nerve in my body.

"It's good to see you again, Milo," Mitchell warmly smiled. 

I smiled back. "Of course, it is."

"Ah, there's that annoying smart mouth." Mitchell's eyes ran over my body. "You look beautiful."

"Thanks," I replied. 

"How are you?"

"Are we going to exchange pleasantries? As far as I remember, it was never our thing."

"That's true, considering the last bit of texts we exchanged," he cheekily winked. "But then you fell off the face of the earth, so I thought you had some regrets."

"When have I ever regretted sex with you?" I said in a snappy tone. 

Mitchell looked around the room and hushed me. "Then why haven't I heard from you since?"

I shrugged and tucked my hair behind my ears. "I don't know. I thought you regretted it."

"The only regret I had was not getting on a plane and showing up at your door the next day and..." Mitchell inched closer and brought his mouth to my ear. "And fucking you until you couldn't walk straight."

My eyes widened at his boldness. "Pardon?"

"What?" Mitchell innocently asked. "You can't be shy. Besides, in that dress, looking the way you do, you can't expect me to behave."

"He took a complete one-eighty," I muttered under my breath. 

"Isn't that our thing?" Mitchell arched a brow in amusement. 

"Are you flirting with me?"

Mitchell took a sip of his drink, and I paid a little too much attention to the way his lips touched the rim of the glass. He ran his tongue over his bottom lip, and I couldn't tear my eyes away. 

Mitchell noticed and his mouth twitched at the corner. He leaned forward slightly and brought his lips closer to my ears. "At least I'm not fucking you with my eyes."

I choked on air and felt embarrassed about getting caught. I composed myself and took a step back. "Sadly, that's all you can get out of me."

Mitchell pursed his lips. "Hmm, I think sadder for you than me."

I raised a brow. "Is leftie treating you that well?"

Mitchell half-shrugged. "With you miles away, I don't have much of a choice."

My eyes widened at his openness, and I stifled a laugh. "I never stopped you from doing anything."

"You didn't have to." Mitchell looked at me earnestly. "And the only reason I didn't text or call again since we got a little carried away was that I didn't want to slow down your progress. I'm sorry if I hurt or offended you."

Mitchell's sweet and caring side was one of the many reasons I fell in love with him. I smiled. "You didn't and I regret nothing."

"So, does that mean we can get out of here?" He teased.

"Control yourself. Do you remember the first time we tried to hook up? Do you want a repeat of that?"

I expected Mitchell to feel disgusted and slightly traumatized from that memory, but he took me by surprise and shrugged. "If I have to go through that again to get you back, I'll have you throw up in my mouth as many times as it takes." 

"I can get you a cherry-flavored drink so the taste can be the same."

My eyes widened and my cheeks warmed. Mitchell was about to turn around and order me a drink from the bar, but I grabbed his jacket lapel and stopped him. 

"Stop," I muttered softly. I shook my head and choked on a laugh. "You're crazy."

Mitchell's gaze fell on my hold on the jacket and slowly lifted his eyes to meet mine. I grew a little flustered, looked away, and moved my hand away. But before my fingers left the fabric, Mitchell wrapped his fingers around my smaller fist and gently yanked me forward. 

I stared wide-eyed into his mesmerizing gaze at a loss for words. Mitchell lowered his neck and inched his face closer. I gulped as he took in every inch of my face.

"Where do you think you're going, hmm?" He spoke softly and huskily. 

I licked my lips and broke our stare-off. "I didn't want to overstep and touch you without permission."

Mitchell lifted my hand upward until my fingertips grazed his chest which was exposed. "Since when do you need permission to touch what's yours?"

I inhaled sharply and hated that he was the reason I forgot how to speak. I composed myself and raised a brow. "How much have you had to drink?"

"Just one," he replied. "But alcohol isn't the only thing that can intox-"

"If you say I intoxicate you, I will find the largest piece of cheese and shove it in your mouth," I cut him off. 

Mitchell pursed his lips. "Do that and I'll have no choice but to shove something else in your mouth." He brought his mouth to my ear. "And I might enjoy it a little too much."

I was taken aback by his boldness but didn't let it show. "Shrimp isn't part of my diet."

Mitchell laughed and took a step back. Seeing his dimples and the way his eyes shone as he wholeheartedly laughed made me smile. He opened his mouth to say something but someone called his name. 

Mitchell glanced over his shoulder for a second. "We're going to continue this conversation." Mitchell flicked my nose. "Later, Beautiful."

Mitchell's flirt game was pretty good, so much so that I almost forgot I saw him walk in with another woman. I had no idea who she was, and he was a one-woman type of man, but it still somewhat bothered me how she held his arm. 

"Making false promises about later when you're here with someone else was never your style," I blurted. 

Mitchell stopped in his tracks and turned to face me with a frown. He pointed at himself in confusion. "You're talking to me?"

"I don't see anyone else around."

Mitchell took a step forward. "How did you get the impression that I'm here with someone?"

"I saw you walk in with her," I replied. "Although she looked a lot different to the woman you were in Australia with." 

Mitchell's playful and flirty demeanor shifted into one of seriousness. He pursed his lips, clenched his jaw, and looked quite disappointed. "I thought after you said it was fine that I see Liza one last time to apologize for accusing her of what Kelsey did, you'd grown a lot. Clearly, there's still a lack of trust."

"The woman who happened to walk in at the same time as me was one of Owen or Faith's guests and she only held my arm because she almost tripped. As for the woman in Australia, she was an esteemed, married guest for the opening of one of our resorts."

"I -"

"It's impossible to move on from you," Mitchell cut me off. "I can't look at someone else let alone touch them. After all this time, can't you have a little more trust in my love?"

I felt stupid and guilty for getting jealous. Noel told me I needed to work a little more on jumping to conclusions. But when it came to Mitchell, I couldn't help the jealousy. It had only been four months since I started therapy and I thought I made some progress but clearly, there was still a long way to go. 

Given our past with the many women we encountered, I supposed it was natural to be a little insecure. However, I needed to trust Mitchell and his feelings for me. 

"When I said I'll wait for you, I meant it and I'm a man of my word," Mitchell stated. "It's hurtful that despite everything you still doubt my feelings and loyalty toward you."

I lowered my gaze in shame and when I looked up to apologize, Mitchell had already walked away. I cursed myself and felt awful for ruining a good moment. We saw each other after such a long time, and it only took one sentence from me to ruin everything. 

The rest of the afternoon went by and soon the sun set. Everyone seemed to have had a good time, except me and maybe Mitchell. He was in a good mood when he arrived, but I spoiled that. He didn't pay much attention to me after our interaction – not even when Owen's sleazy cousin Beau came over to speak to me. 

Wang noticed a shift in my mood and asked if I was alright. I didn't want to ruin Faith and Owen's party so told him I was fine. I mingled with Wang and Dante and some of the guests I remembered from the wedding. 

It was time for Owen and Faith to cut a cake. Together, they cut into a two-tier cake and it was at that moment I felt truly happy. It felt like forever ago since Faith fell in love with Owen and here, they were celebrating their first wedding anniversary. 

Champagne was handed out to everyone. Owen handed Faith a glass of orange juice and toasted their future. 

"We like to think of this as our official anniversary but some of us in this room know that we've been married for longer than just a year," Owen joked. "The second I laid eyes on Faith, I knew she was going to be my wife. I was in such a hurry that I proposed we ran away and get married in Vegas."

Everyone laughed. As we laughed, mine and Mitchell's gazes locked. A kaleidoscope of memories flashed in my mind. From our very first meeting to the many arguments, we had. The times I annoyed him during our road trip, our shared frustration and anger but mostly laughter. I saw us singing karaoke and dancing on the balcony to the birthday song. I recalled waking up in Mitchell's arms for the first time arguing about a stupid bird. 

My mind went back to the moments I saw the good in him. How he took care of and protected me during our trip. No matter how mad I made him, he always apologized when he said or did something to hurt or offend me. 

Every little moment, good and bad, flashed in my mind from the beginning to the last time we saw each other. There was no doubt in my mind that I would've never loved anyone relatively close to the way I loved Mitchell. He was my person and no one, living or dead, could've ever taken his place in my life and heart. 

A lump built in my throat, and I blinked rapidly so I didn't cry. I missed him more than I believed and deep down knew that I was angry because of that. I got jealous over something stupid and picked an argument because I craved to hear him tell me how much he still loved me. It was childish of me, and I only ruined what could've been a beautiful reunion. 

"And today I can proudly say that Faith is not just my wife, other half, the love of my life, soulmate... you guys get the point," Owen's voice broke my train of thought. "But she's also going to be the mother of my child."

My heart swelled with joy. Faith blushed and smiled widely as Owen pulled her to his side and kissed her forehead. 

"We're pregnant!" Owen excitedly cheered. 

Everyone rushed to congratulate the happy couple. I wanted to run over too but needed a second to myself. I felt like the worst friend in the world when amongst the happiness there was a tiny little corner in my heart that was sad. I knew I might've never gotten a chance to experience what Faith was going to and it was selfish but it upset me. 

I shook away any self-pitying thoughts and focused on my best friend who glowed with happiness. I smiled and made my way over to the pair. Mitchell approached them at the same time as me. My shoulder brushed against him, and our eyes met. He was about to say something, but Owen's voice interrupted us. 

"Just the two people we've been wanting to see!"

I engulfed both in a hug and congratulated them. I felt true happiness for them at that moment. Faith was going to be the best mother in the world. 

"I don't know what the situation is between you guys," Owen pointed back and forth between us. "But I don't doubt in my mind that you're going to end up together at some point. Whether you accept it or not, you're destined for each other."

"What Owen means to say," Faith added. "We'd like for the two of you to be our child's godparents."

I was flattered, and honored but also shocked at their request. My lips parted and I was at a loss for words. I didn't know if I had in me to shoulder the responsibility of a child if it came down to it. 

Faith's eyes gleamed with pure happiness that I couldn't turn her down. I might not have been mother material quite as yet but I knew I'd love that child with everything I had. 

I swallowed the lump in my throat and smiled. "It would be an honor."

"Mitch?"

I hadn't realized but Mitchell stared at me and only looked away when Owen called his name. Mitchell grinned. "As Mila said, it would be an honor."

Hugs were exchanged and our group hug took me back to Faith and Owen's wedding. We hugged each other the same way and Mitchell's hand on my lower back gave off the same sparks as it did a year ago. 

I excused myself after a long while and headed out onto the empty beach for some air. The sound of waves and the cool breeze that caressed my skin already made me feel better. I hated myself for feeling an ounce of sadness, but I supposed I was human too. Even though kids were never something I thought about, the possibility of having them taken away hurt. 

"Are you alright?"

Startled by the voice, I turned around and was greeted by Mitchell. He looked at me in concern and whatever signs of anger he held earlier were gone. 

"I thought you were mad at me or worse, hate me."

"Wrong," Mitchell shoved his hands in his pockets and stood in front of me. "I'm mad at myself because I can never stay angry at you, no matter how much you deserve it. As for hating you, that's out of the question."

I stared with guilt into his eyes. "Too bad because I deserve your anger."

"True but that's not the point right now." Mitchell removed one hand from his pocket and gripped my chin. "I saw you in there. It's okay to be a little sad, I know I am too."

A lump built in my throat but I forced a smile. "I'm okay. It was a moment of weakness but seeing Faith and Owen so happy made me forget everything else."

Mitchell looked at me with sadness in his eyes. "I'm sorry. Because of me..."

"Stop," I warned and hugged myself. I caressed my arms. "We've moved past the blame game."

"I know but –" Mitchell noticed me caressing my arms and immediately removed his jacket. 

"I'm fin-"

He placed it over my arms and the warmth from his body that still lingered in the jacket was welcoming. "Thanks, and I'm sorry."

"It's okay, I'm not cold."

"No, I mean for earlier," I said. "I know it came off as if I don't have trust in you or your feelings, but I swear that's not the case. Given what happened in the past with Liza and Kelsey, I suppose I'm still a little insecure." I paused and stared at his handsome face. "And it doesn't help that you're so damn hot."

Mitchell unwound his shoulders uncomfortably and cleared his throat. Unless he was drunk, he never took well to compliments. "It's not about how others see me but about how I see you." Mitchell took a step forward and grasped my shoulders. "And believe me when I say you're all I see, hear, and feel."

He stared into my eyes. "You're the one I want to spend my life with. I want you by my side every fucking day for the rest of my life. I want to fall asleep beside you and see you the second I open my eyes every morning. You're the love of my life and I want us to grow old together."

My eyes pooled with tears. "I feel the same way." I took a shaky breath and blinked the tears away. "But you're right, I don't think I've grown enough for you yet. I still childishly doubted you because I have a raging jealousy when I see any woman around you. The thought of you with anyone else me makes me want to rip the other person's hair out."

"Oh?" Mitchell smirked. 

"It's not funny!" I slapped his chest. "I hate how mad I am at you just because I missed you so damn much."

Mitchell chuckled and pulled me to his chest. His embrace washed away any tension I felt. His warmth and scent felt like I finally reached home after being lost for a long time. My heart didn't race but felt at ease. 

I softly exhaled through my lips and shut my eyes. I hugged him back and savored every second in his arms. I needed this - I needed him. 

Mitchell rested his chin on top of my head and sighed. "I'm going to be very selfish right now and tell you that I can't be apart from you anymore. I know you asked for time but... I want you back."

I pulled back and looked up at him. "I don't know if I've made enough progress in these months, but I can't take the distance either."

"No relationship is perfect, but we can make it work, right?" Mitchell's eyes glimmered with hope. 

"We've really been through it," I humorlessly laughed. "We've had our ups and downs yet here we are," I said. "To be honest, I think one of the reasons I decided to come here was to see you again. Deep down, I wanted us to work things out."

"There's not a lot to work out," Mitchell mused. "It's more about if you're ready to accept a relationship again or not."

I chewed on my bottom lip and thought for a long moment. I liked my alone time in the last four months, but I also had a void in my life. That emptiness could've only been filled by Mitchell and Noel subtly mentioned it too.

I'd been independent my whole life and never really had someone constant to lean on but that changed when Mitchell came into my life. I fully knew that I could take care of myself so there was nothing wrong with having a companion to share my life with. I wasn't codependent on Mitchell, but I wanted him to enhance my life not have my whole world revolve around him. 

"Mila?"

I stared into his curious, bright eyes, grabbed him by his shirt collar, and pressed my lips against his. Mitchell was taken off guard for a second and I feared I might've overstepped. I pulled back but before my lips left his, Mitchell grabbed the back of my head and passionately kissed me. 

The taste of his lips set fire in the pit of my stomach. I allowed my hands to roam over his chest. My heart raced and blood rushed to my head and then straight down to my core. A sweet, romantic moment quickly heated up and we needed to stop. 

I reluctantly pulled away, breathless. "I'm ready."

Mitchell's lips turned upward and formed a small grin. "I got that."

I straightened his collar and smoothened out his shirt. "We should get back inside."

I turned around but Mitchell grabbed my wrist and pulled me against him. My bare back molded against his chest and I immediately melted against him. 

"My place isn't far from here, let's go home," he whispered in my ear. 

"We can't," I replied softly. "We're here to celebrate our friends."

"I'm pretty sure they wouldn't mind or notice that we're gone," Mitchell gripped my earlobe between his lips. "Besides, it wouldn't be the first time we left their celebration early. Remember last year?"

I gulped and his body against mine clouded all logic. His hands were around my midriff, and he gently exerted pressure which made me want him more. 

"Come to think of it, it's kind of our anniversary too," Mitchell huskily added. "I think we ought to celebrate."

"But..." I trailed off when Mitchell planted a kiss on the side of my neck and allowed his hands to slowly travel south. Before he touched me between my legs that ached for him, I placed my hand over his. "Let's go."

Mitchell let go and looked at me in amusement. "That was quick."

"What can I say? I'm horny for you." I put up a finger. "But you better not be that quick. I felt El Diablo's growing a second ago. I know I'm extra hot in this dress but control yourself."

"When have u ever finished qui..." Mitchell trailed off and shook his head. He leaned over and kissed my forehead. "I fucking missed you."

He took my hand and just as he said, no one noticed that we had left. Mitchell opened the car door for me, and it felt as if we picked up just where we left off. I stared at the open door of the sports car and then at him. 

"Get in."

I bit my lower lip and smiled. "How about I drive for a change?"

Mitchell's eyes widened. "Pardon?"

"I'm sick of feeling second to your fleet of cars. Show them who's the real love of your life for once and let me drive. I know you're a mechan-"

Mitchell handed me the key. "She's all yours."

I was stunned. "Really?"

Mitchell nodded. "You're my girl not this piece of metal."

"Who are you and what have you done with Bitchell?"

Mitchell rolled his eyes. "Just drive but..." he stared warmly at the car. "Be nice to her, please."

"And there he is," I laughed. 

"Where'd you learn to drive so fast?" Mitchell asked as I pulled up on the beach house driveway. 

"Dad and I go on drives every weekend and like you, he loves sportscars."

"I never thought it was possible to be more attracted to you, but you just became even hotter," Mitchell leaned over and pecked my lips. 

I groaned under my breath. "Let's go before we ruin your precious car seats."

Hand in hand we walked up the long driveway and with the car behind us and the sound of the waves of the nearby beach, a thought occurred to me. "Mitch?"

"Hmm?"

"I've driven you insane on the road and ridden you like crazy on the waves –"

"Must you say it like that?" Mitchell cut me off. "Of course, you must, you're Mila."

"What I mean to ask is," I stopped walking and turned to face him. "What's next and where to? A trip on a train? An airplane that takes us around Asia?"

Mitchell pursed his lips. "I have a slightly less extravagant idea."

I was shocked because Mitchell loved to splurge on me. At first, I was uncomfortable with it but eventually learned it was his love language and accepted it. 

"Our next destination would be forever but to get there, I'm going to need you to walk down the aisle for me."

Mitchell had rendered me speechless before, but it was mostly due to flirting. However, this was the first time my brain completely shut down. His words and serious face played back in my mind over and over. I stared, shocked, into his eyes and couldn't think of a single comeback. 

Mitchell stepped toward me while I stared dumbfounded like an idiot. He reached for his jacket that was still around me and searched for something from the inside pocket. 

Could he? No, how could he have it in there? No one is that prepared, right?

Mitchell pulled out a little velvet box and my heart began to race. The normally confident Mitchell looked a little nervous as he fiddled with the box. 

Wrong. Mitch is that prepared.

"This wasn't how I planned on doing it," he muttered. "But seeing our relationship started on the road, might as well take the next step on a driveway."

I gulped and pointed. "Is that...."

Mitchell took my hand in his and it felt like slow motion as he kneeled in front of me. He got on one knee and stared at me with pure love and adoration. 

"I know I'm not perfect and I've messed up and hurt you one too many times. But I love you with everything I have, I probably fell in love with you the second I laid eyes on you but didn't know it yet. You've brightened my life in so many ways and helped me grow into a better man."

"You make my world wonderful, and I can't imagine it without you. I never want to lose you ever again and as a lawyer, I think it's time I legally bound you to me."

I choked on a laugh and hadn't realized I was crying. If anyone would've gotten on one knee for me three years ago, I would've laughed in their faces. I never considered myself relationship material let alone wife material. 

Mitchell opened the box and revealed a beautiful ring with a round cut blue-grey stone surrounded by diamonds. The stone was huge, and I never knew much about jewelry, but it had to at least have been three carats. The gold band was filled with diamonds that shone under the moonlight. 

"I want you to annoy and taunt me with your smart mouth and filthy jokes for the rest of my life," Mitchell gulped. "Marry me, Mila."

Tears rolled down my cheeks and nothing would've made me reject his sincere and love-filled proposal. I sniffed and wiped my eyes. "Are you asking or telling me?"

"Do you have to answer me with a question? Right now?"

"I learn from the best," I teased. 

"Milo, I told you that you'll be my wife, it's just a matter of when. If you say no now, I'll keep asking until you say yes."

"Yes," I earnestly said. "Nothing will make me happier than being Mrs. Bitchell."

Pure glee shone in Mitchell's eyes and more tears escaped my eyes as he slipped the ring on my finger. Goosebumps coated my skin as soon as the metal touched my skin. At the same time, my heart felt full, my life felt complete, and I'd never felt happier. 

Mitchell stood and I let out a soft yelp as he caught me off guard and lifted me off the ground. He spun me around and kissed me. He set me on my feet, held my cheeks, and kissed me more tenderly. 

"I love you," I whispered against his lips. 

Mitchell rested his forehead over mine. "I love you."

I pulled back and stared at the ring and then at his eyes. "This sapphire, blue topaz, or whatever looks similar to your eyes. I love it."

"Wanna hear something cheesy?"

"Cheesier than your proposal?"

"Really? You couldn't wait a little while longer before you roasted me?"

I laughed and pecked him. "Tell me. I'm in a cheesy mood."

Mitchell wrapped his arms around my lower back and intertwined his fingers. "My love for you is as eternal as the diamonds on that ring and you're even rarer than the vivid blue diamond in the center."

"Vivid what?"

Mitchell smiled and rubbed his nose against mine. "Nothing is too much when it comes to you. You deserve the best of everything and that's why I'm marrying you."

I raised my brows at his rare cockiness. "I think I like this side of you." I smiled and admired the ring once more. "The ring is perfect. Every time I look at it, I'll think of your eyes that I love so much."

"That was the point but," Mitchell pulled back and took my hand in his. He turned it around and showed me the back of the ring. There was an engraving that resembled sound waves. "This is the soundwave of when you yell the name Bitchell."

I was touched and possibly fell more in love with him. "You didn't."

"I wanted to add a personal touch."

My eyes welled up again. "I'm the luckiest girl in the world."

"Good thing I carried the ring with me tonight. I got ahead of myself and thought I'd get lucky."

I smiled and kissed him. Life had been one hell of a rollercoaster and there were times I thought of giving up. I'd lost a lot and never thought I'd live out a fulfilled, happy life but that changed when I attended a frat party. I was a girl who never wanted any kind of relationship because I only saw them tear apart yet that night, I found my soulmate. Our beginning was unique and a little gross, but I finally got my happily ever after.

Mom often spoke about fate, kismet, and destiny but I never believed in it. Heck, I probably still didn't but I was certain that I was destined to meet Mitchell. Mitchell Clarke was my kismet and the best thing that ever happened to me. 

"Fuck, now comes the hard part," Mitchell huffed. 

I gripped his belt hoops and wriggled my brows. "I sure hope so."

"That's there already. But I mean the difficult part that will possibly put my life on the line," Mitchell dramatically paused. "We've got to tell your dad."

I laughed and took his hand. "Before you're murdered, I'd like you to make love to me and then fuck me until I can't walk straight."

"That mouth... what am I going to do with you?"

"You only have forever to decide."

The end.

A/N Phew, I actually teared up a little as I wrote those two little words above. M&M's journey is finally over and it's a bittersweet feeling. I wrote them for almost 3 years and they became apart of my daily life. I'm going to miss them so much. These characters are so close to my heart and I'm so grateful to be able to share them with you.

Thank you for sticking through their rollercoaster of a journey. It's been a long one and I promise they're only going to be happy from here onwards.

I'll write a small epilogue and post it soon. Thank you again from the bottom of my heart. I appreciate and love all of you who stuck with this through the end.

Also, I'll be starting a new enemies to lovers story, it will be shorter than this with shorter chapters but I promise it will have heart and lots of laughs. I hope you'll check it out when I post. I'm also going to continue with Mitchell's Kismet.

Thank you again
Love,
Tina

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

165 48 34
(under editing, interested ones may reach out to me) In the symphony of love, their melodies intertwined, yet fate's chorus whispered no promise of f...
12.2M 394K 57
"Why did u punch him?" I asked in shock. "Why did you kiss him?" He asked me angrily. "What? I... but..he... " "Is he your boyfriend? Or Did he pa...
6.9K 1.6K 39
'No, he didn't'. I was so shocked by the turn of events. Everything was going fine and then suddenly boom, everything turned upside down. I just coul...
703 44 20
"Give me one valid reason as to why I should sign this?" He said leaning back on his chair, folding his arms against his chest. "Umm...you'd get a y...