Blood Sport

By SophieShambles

"I don't need a backup plan." Her doubt in him was offensive. Killian would move mountains to get what he wan... More

Introduction
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Epilogue
Common World News
Conclusion

Chapter Forty-Four

524 46 8
By SophieShambles

In the mirror, Reagan caught a glimpse of her reflection.

She looked like a Goddess of death. A seasoned killer—which, she supposed she was. Her skin was splattered in droplets of blood. Her hair, though tied back, was fanning wildly about her face. Her sword was painted red, face drawn with seriousness.

She'd lost track of time. And the bodies. Though they were piling up. She'd moved onto her fourth corner, sticking with her original technique.

Even as she forced herself not to pay too much attention, she kept one ear on the loud speaker. Most of it was rambled nonsense, but every now and then, Seth would say something about Killian and her heart would jolt.

Even if they weren't playing for the same team anymore, she felt connected to him. Like they were still on the same page.

More screams sounded from not too far away.

She readied her sword in front of her body for the attack of a survivor.

"We're down to two hundred and fifty vampires," Seth announced, which meant they were roughly halfway through. In a monotone voice, he continued. "A good fight really makes you work up an appetite. Which is why you should head down to the concession stands if you're watching here live from the audience. And be sure to pick up some of our limited time offer Veneficus and blood sport merchandise. Do I seriously have to read this? It's boring."

"I can see you pretty girl." Her next fight had spotted her in the mirror and was now slinking towards her. Eyes on the mirror, she scanned him for weaknesses. Someone had taken a hack at his legs earlier. Red blood had seeped through his blue jeans. "Time to die."

He sprung around the corner but Reagan was quicker. Ready for him. She dropped into a crouch, swinging her sword from left to right.

"You fucking bitch!" His legs collapsed beneath him. Leaping, Reagan finished him off, twisting her sword till there was nothing left of him.

Sweat dotted her vision with stars.

"Cocky bastard."

"And there she goes again!" She'd quickly came to notice she'd become a favourite of Seth's. If only he knew he already knows me. "Who is blondie? A killing machine no doubt.  I've gotta learn these names. Ooh! And there goes Vlad Pavlov, off to do more dogging in heaven. But seriously, you should head to the concession stands."

She rose from her kill with a lethal grace, sword slashing through the air.

"Heads up to blondie, there's an army and a half headed your way... what do you mean I'm not allowed to do that? There're no rules to commentating."

Right, so she had that to prepare for.

And Seth wasn't kidding.

Vampires must've been teaming up to make sure they saw it to the end.

Reagan swallowed thickly.

This was a lot to take on at once. But she could do it. And if push came to shove, she had an ace up her sleeve.

"Watch out blondie!"

A hand snagged her wrist, tugging her around the corner.

Before she had time to sever the hand, the sparks had registered.

"This is shit! The ex-General strikes again. Killian kill-joy."

Killian had her pressed to a nearby mirror.

"You'd better not be getting me out of the way early on," She snarled.

"You're surrounded on both sides," He snarled right back.

"Then you are too."

They were both crammed in the middle of a riot.

"We'll work together," Killian declared.

And they didn't have much time.

"Is that wise?"

"We know we're good at it. Put your back to mine."

He pushed her into action. Stunned, she went along with it, sword crossing her body.

"Woah! Would you look at that? Broody balls hasn't killed blondie after all. Is this an alliance? Should I put my specs on?"

They were coming. She heard the loud stomping of their feet. They reached Killian's side first. His sword slashed out, knocking them down.

Soon, they were upon Reagan too.

I'm glad you're here. She wouldn't have finished this part alone. Not without a few bad injuries along the way.

Just as Reagan sliced through her final throat, the second gong sounded, ending the play.

"And would you look at that!" Seth shouted. "Four hundred and fifty dead with only fifty remaining. Still chance to head to those concession stands and buy things. But wow, what a rush!" A second ticked by. "I'm not saying this shit. I sound dorky."

Breathing heavily, Reagan flung her sword to the ground. The clatter of Killian's weapon followed.

"Are you alright?" He asked, looking her up and down. "No one hurt you?"

"I'm fine. What about you?"

"I'm alive." And that was all that mattered.

Reaching out and touching him would be so easy. He stood right in front of her. She'd been taking their closeness for granted. Now that she didn't have it, she didn't know what to do with herself. She didn't know how to interact.

Killian, for one, looked pissed.

"Something wrong?" She asked, wiping the blood from her brow with the back of her hand.

Killian punched the nearest mirror. Shards shattered, falling to their feet. "I didn't get to kill fucking Petrov."

"But you lived."

"But I didn't get to kill Petrov."

"Why? What did Petrov do wrong?"

"Don't act like you weren't listening. Fucking bastard knew what he was doing."

"Can't be possessiveness over me. I'm just the castle fly trying to sleep with all the guards and royals."

His eyes narrowed at her. He'd  obviously known she'd be listening. She knew the second when he arrived. His scent had hit her so hard she'd hardly been able to focus on anything else. She'd tried to push him from her mind but she'd listened to his conversation all the same.

"Filth like Petrov has no business looking at you. He doesn't need to know the truth. I know the truth. That's what matters."

She huffed, kicking the nearest dead body away from her shoes. "Thank you for protecting my honour by destroying my dignity."

"How are you coping with the exposure?"

Right, he knew better than anyone that this was new for her. Hundreds of thousands of people had just watched her kick ass. If they'd been taking pointers from Seth, hundreds of thousands of people had been staring directly at her ass too. She could count on one hand how many living people knew her as a person and what she looked like.

"Better than I thought I would."

"You fought with a sword?"

"I would've preferred something smaller, but it didn't seem practical." In the middle of the maze, they stood there in silence. Other survivors must've been on their way out by now, but Reagan couldn't take her eyes off him. "Killian? I'm glad you're alive still."

He rubbed his lips together. "I'm glad you made it too."

She pulled her gaze to the floor, breaking the connection. "Do you know where the exit is in this thing?"

He touched her skin, taking her hand to lead her towards the way out.

"Lucky that we stumbled across each other at that exact moment," She said, trying to keep her voice steady. He was touching her skin for the first time in days.

It was the little things like this she'd missed the most.

"There was no stumbling Sinclair. I tracked your scent."

"You came to find me?"

"There's no reason we can't work together for now. You're the only person I'd trust to have working with me. And I don't care if the rest of these people live or die."

Any alliance they formed here would be terminated in the final round. But like him, she didn't see any reason they couldn't work together for now.

"It's good to see you."

"You too Reagan."

"I think your word with Petrov will prove pointless after this. Seth made it perfectly clear that you teamed up with me in there."

"Fuck Petrov. Let him think what he wants. You and I know what's important. Petrov's not touching you."

Within a few minutes, they'd made it outside of the maze. The cameras weren't rolling anymore, but Killian released his hold on her hand all the same. Other survivors were looking their way, scoping out those who remained in the competition. Really, it was smart thinking.

It was better to keep their distance so as not to give away any weaknesses. If she counted as a weakness of his, that is.

Still fighting to regain her breath, Reagan glanced towards the judges panel.

Seth was watching her with gooey lovey eyes, ignoring the lecture he got from his crew on the style of his narrating. Evie shot her a wink when their gazes caught.

She hoped Killian hadn't seen that.

As for Annaliese, the blood Queen watched her with an unkempt curiosity.

Reagan hated it.

She squared her shoulders and lifted her chin, refusing to let any weakness slide through.

Did she note the similarities between Reagan and Sylvester? Why would she? This marked the first time her half-sister had ever seen her in the flesh. Besides, no one looked at a stranger and assumed they could be related, regardless of any resemblances. Annaliese didn't know the first thing about Reagan. Hell, she didn't so much as know her name.

But Reagan knew all about her.

I'm coming for you. And when she got to her, the blood Queen would have no idea what had hit her.

"Intense enough for you?" Killian asked, ending the stare off. Reagan snapped her head away from the Queen and focused on him.

"I've got her interest," She admitted. "She doesn't know anything about me. Annaliese doesn't like that."

Killian scoffed. "Annaliese doesn't like anything."

Too true.

"How are we playing this?"

The arrival of a blonde, lanky vampire cut her off.

Beside her, Killian bristled with rage.

This was the man he'd spoken to before the trial had begun. The one he'd told Reagan about.

The one who now eyed her up and down like she was some sort of trophy to win.

"So you're the killer blondie. It's lovely to meet you. I'm Sebastian Petrov."

"The almost King," She acknowledged.

"That's right." Tension in the air. Sebastian Petrov didn't like that. "And you are?"

If she was going to win this thing, she couldn't stay hidden forever.

"Reagan Sinclair."

His lips pulled back to reveal his sharp fangs. A threat to Killian? "You didn't tell me she was such a good fighter, Killian."

"It didn't come up," He snipped.

"Interesting that, isn't it?"

"Is there something I can help you with?" Reagan demanded.

"Just getting the introductions over and done with. It's good to know what you're up against. Good luck with the competition, Reagan Sinclair."

They watched him saunter away, getting a feel for all the other participants.

"I should've fucking killed him in there."

Killian was yet to calm down.

"You can't help it if you never saw him. I'm sure you'll get your chance."

"Fucking hate the bastard."

"Is this a recent adjustment or a lifelong thing?"

"He's never had to work for anything. The bastard expects everything he wants to come to him. He'll be expecting you to do the same."

"Maybe I ought to."

She was only jesting yet her mate's response was visceral. "You dare and I'll put you down."

"Why? Know someone who's put their claim on me?"

"Don't even entertain it," He hissed darkly. "I don't like sharing. I put my claim on you a long time ago."

"You did?"

"Yes I fucking did."

She shuffled her weight from one foot to the other, sheepish all of a sudden. "We never spoke about it."

"It was common knowledge. We didn't need to speak about it. You and I both knew."

She swallowed, throat bobbing. "I don't want to die and leave things unsaid."

"You won't," He assured her. "I know every thought in that pretty little head. I know you Reagan. Stay the fuck away from Petrov and don't make jokes like that. I'm serious. I'll kill you and him both."

"And lay us down in a deathbed together?"

"The only bed you'll ever be allowed near is mine. Don't push me Sinclair. I've tied you to the bed before."

"How are we playing this?"

"You and I work together until we can't any longer."

She could get behind that.

"Want to talk strategy?"

He nodded once, wary of the eyes that followed them. "I'll come find you later. Let the crowds die out."

"How will you know where to find me?"

"I found your tent already. Wait for me."

If he knew where her tent was already, then that had to mean he'd gone looking for it. That he'd been thinking about her.

Where did they stand?

And why was her stupid heart getting so excited?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.8M 49.9K 19
"You know you can't resist me much longer." He continued to trail kisses down my neck and jaw. I bit my lip to keep a moan from escaping. "I am yo...
1.4K 57 19
The Devil Walking On Earth is what he is called by the supernatural. Ruthlessness runs through his very soul. Heartless he is. He is unforgiving. His...
23.4M 638K 37
CAUTION CONTAINS MATURE CONTENT. "Say it, Allison," he said, his voice low as he trapped me against the rough wall. A shiver ran down my spine, his...
10K 503 7
Two powerful men at each other's throats to get back for what the other did, except the cycle just continues. It never subdued, war, death, and anger...