The Phoenix Swordsman (Sword...

By Gaberox01

Y/N L/N was one of the many unfortunate people to be stuck in the tragic event of Sword Art Online where if y... More

The World of Swords
Beaters
Knight in Shining Armor
The Red-nosed Reindeer
The Black Swordsman and The Pheonix
The Murder in the Safe Zone
Illusionary Avenger
Temperature of the Heart
The Sword Dance of Black, White, and Red
The Blue Eyed Demon
Crimson Bloodthirst
Rin...
What a Coincidence
Yui's Heart
Into The Depths of Hell
The End of the World
Old World New Problems
The World of Fairies
The Meeting
The Meeting Pt. 2
Truths
The Grand Quest
Here We Go Again
I'm No Hero
Reunion
The World of Guns
Link Start!.....Again
Guns and Swords
Memories of Death
Bullet of Bullets
Death Gun
Death Chaser

To Be Strong

512 20 2
By Gaberox01

Author: Before we get started with this chapter, I want to give out special thanks to everyone who has stuck around with this story. I've noticed, ever since Chapter 1, that the consistency of readers has been growing less and less with every chapter. To those of you who are still here, I'm not giving up on this story or any other story that I'm currently writing like The Tale of the Thunder Breather or any future stories that are currently in the works. The reason for the lack of updates recently is because I started a job. So, my schedule is kind of messed up. Please bare with me as I continue these stories.

-------------------------------------------------

As we were sitting in the cave being silent, Sinon suddenly spoke up.

Sinon: So, Death Gun was in laughing coffin. And you guys fought before.

She said to me. She raises her head from her resting point and faces me.

Sinon: U/N, about the people you killed. How are you not affected by it? How are you strong to the point where you're not affected by it?

All I could do was stare at her blue eyes. I sighed once more as I spoke up.

U/N: I'm not strong Sinon. I don't know how I cope with those deaths. It's like an on and off kind of thing for me. Sometimes I remember the things I've done, hell I've even had nightmares. Surrounded by the faceless souls I've taken in the game.

Sinon: Then... What am I supposed to do?

U/N: It's ok Sinon. I think that's how it should be. There shouldn't be things that we force ourselves to forget. There is always significance to taking a life. I believe that once I've accepted that, then maybe I'll be able to find some closure. You see a majority of those I've killed were times I was protecting someone. They didn't care about the lives they were taking. I was forcing myself to think that I was protecting someone instead when in reality, while I was still saving someone, I was still killing a human being.

Sinon: Closure, by accepting what I've done...

She closes her eyes and lays down on my lap again.

U/N: So, I guess I'm everyone's pillow now?

Sinon: Yes. Yes, you are. You know. It's unsettling that under the mask of Death Gun, there is a real person under there that wants to kill others.

Kirito: If only we could remember the username he went by then we would be able to find out his real name and address.

U/N: That's the reason I logged into GGO Kirito. You know, that's something I've never asked you before, Kirito, why'd you log into this game when you had no reason to?

Kirito: Your "employer" gave me a tip so to speak.

U/N: Of course, he did.

Sinon: Back onto the topic about Death Gun, maybe the reason he logged onto this game is because he loves to PK. Maybe he enjoyed doing it in SAO. Do you think that's the reason?

Kirito: While that's a good reason, there is certainly more to it than that. He killed XeXeed and Taruko in front of an audience. It was the same with Pale Ryder. He always kills when the most amount of people are watching him. And the hand gesture of the cross he does may be a way to freak them out. I know it's not brain damage, the Amusphere is more advanced than what the Nerve Gear was.

U/N: It's heart failure.

They both looked at me.

U/N: When I first learned of Death Gun killing players from a game. I thought "this couldn't be like SAO again." I know since that accident that not only has the gear has gotten more secure to protect the brain, but killing someone in real life with heart failure from a virtual bullet is absurd. Thats also something to consider you know.

Sinon: What?

U/N: Anytime that Death Gun fired his gun at you. He always used the handgun. Why not use something more accurate like his sniper to take you out?

Kirito: That is a good question.

U/N: That means he has rules. And not only that, but I know that little gun can't kill someone IRL because I got shot from him.

Kirito/Sinon: What?!?!

U/N: Chill you two. Back when were getting chased by Death Gun, he tried to shoot Sinon with the handgun. I got in the way of the bullet line and while I was actually expecting to die right there. Nothing happened. And because of that I know how he does it. makes it look like he is killing in game.

Kirito: They would need to prepare for the murder in real life.

U/N: Thousand points to you Kirito.

Sinon: What? Now you lost me. How could he prepare to do that. He would need a player's IRL information to do it. But all of that is secure.

U/N: Actually, if they were clever enough, they could get that info easy.

Sinon: How?

Kirito: The terminals, right? To compete, you needed to put your name and address into the terminal. I noticed that there was a ton of open spaces, so someone could've gotten the information that way.

Sinon: What. You would know if someone would be lurking over your shoulder though.

Kirito: Maybe he used a sniper scope or maybe even a pair of binoculars to see.

Sinon: He would've been breaking etiquette and gotten his ass thrown out.

U/N: Maybe he could use his cloak to go invisible in town too.

Sinon: He would be right there, and you wouldn't know it. Besides even with a player's information, he couldn't do anything while he is logged in here.

I looked over at the two tailed creature drinking from... whatever it was drinking from... Two tails...

U/N: Huh sly bastard.

Sinon What's wrong?

U/N: All this time we thought this Death Gun guy was just one person, but we were wrong. He has a partner too. Think about it. The guy logged in as Death Gun shoots the target and at the same time in the real world, the second guy in the real world is at the players apartment waiting to take them out.

Sinon quickly rose her head and looked at me.

Sinon: Ok, say his partner had the players information and went to their apartment. What about the other people living there and they would need the key.

U/N: As far as XeXeed and Taruko goes. They both lived alone, and their apartments were older models. the e locks were most likely first generation and not very secure. besides, they were both logged into GGO at the time of the break in, so they were already unconscious and defenseless. They couldn't even hear so the killer had plenty of time trying to get in.

Sinon: But you said they died because of heart failure, so how did they kill them in a way the cops and corner couldn't figure out.

U/N: They most likely used a drug and injected them when they were diving.

Sinon: But they would've left evidence of an injection, right?

U/N: The bodies were pretty decomposed when they were found so they could find anything. Besides, a hardcore gamer could go days without eating anything so it would only make sense to die of a heart attack after something like that.

Sinon: They're crazy. That's why they would do something like this right?

Kirito: Maybe they do it because it's how red players are. Deep down I like to think of myself as a swordsman. And you probably think that you're a sniper.

Sinon: True. I like to think of myself as that more than a gamer. Do you think Death Gun's partner is also a red player from SAO too?

U/N: It would be wise to consider all possibilities that they were both in laughing coffin together. But I wanna know how they can be so precise between the killings in the game and the real world.

Kirito: Thats the sign of the cross. I know now. It isn't for show. He does that to look at the time on his watch.

I was then reminded Sinon is one of Death Guns targets, so I grabbed her shoulders to gain her attention.

U/N: Sinon. Do you live alone?

I asked with seriousness.

Sinon: Yeah. I'm pretty sure I locked my door though. My building has the first gen locks but, I also have a chain.

She gasped with realization.

Sinon: I think I left the chain off tonight.

U/N: Damn. Listen, I know you're not going to like this. But when Death Gun was chasing us back in the city, he wasn't shooting at me at all. That means he already picked his next target and are all set up and ready to go.

Sinon: Ok. So, who's next?

U/N: I have a feeling that in the real world right now, Death Gun's partner is in your place, watching the livestream and waiting for you to get shot by that gun. It's just a feeling but I'm confident.

Her eyes widened at the information.

Sinon: No...No please. Oh god not that.

She hugged herself and breathed heavily. She started to hyperventilate. I quickly hugged her tightly in an attempt to calm her down.

U/N: Sinon it's ok. If you force yourself into a log out, then you'll be in danger. Calm down it's ok.

Her breathing slowed and gave a worried sigh.

U/N: Until Death Gun shoots you with that gun, his partner won't hurt you. that's the code they have set for themselves. But if you force a log out, you'll wake up with his partner there. He will kill you. So, you have to calm down.

Sinon: But... But. I'm scared. I'm so scared.

She said as she buried herself into my chest. I placed my hand on her head.

---Back-In-ALO---

The group was watching over what was happening in GGO when they heard a knock at the door. When it opened, it revealed a tall blue haired man with glasses.

Lizbeth: Jeez took you long enough Chris Height.

Chris (Kikuoka): Sorry guys. I booked it over here as fast as possible from my last save point. If there was a license in ALO, I would have had it revoked.

Aleyla Stood up and walked over to him.

Aleyla: What is happening?

He cleared his throat and spoke.

Chris: I would explain in detail, but I should warn you that it might take a while. And to tell you the truth, I don't know where to start.

Aleyla: Oh, don't even start with that crap.

Yui: Allow me. I know just where to start. On November 9th, in Gun Gale Online, Death Gun fired his weapon at an avatar appearing on a monitor and on that same day. That avatar mysteriously died.

Chris: That was unbelievable. Gathering all of that info and putting it together in a short amount of time. You are quite the researcher. Have you thought about a career in the VR section?

It was Asuna's turn to stand up in a threatening way.

Chris: Okay okay you win. I'm not going to stonewall you, promise. It was only a compliment. She is right though. All of it.

Klein: Yo, Chris or whatever. I heard that you're the one who sent U/N to dive into that game and had Kirito follow him. So, you got them both to convert over-- (Knowing full well that they could die.)

Chris: Easy Klein-- I can explain.

 (Klein: Hey I'm not done asshole.)

Chris: That's not how they died.

Klein: Then how?

Chris: It's not the Amusphere rig that's for certain. No matter what happens in game, it can't hurt you. And it defiantly can't stop a player's heart if it's not even connected to it. As a matter of fact, U/N and I discussed it last week and agreed that it was impossible. There is no way a player can kill someone in real life by shooting them in the game.

Leafa: Ok then. If that's true, then why did you have my brother and U/N dive into the game.

She stood up quickly.

Leafa: You had a feeling that something was wrong. Scratch that, you know something is wrong. And I bet that Death Gun guy is a part of it and that's why you sent U/N in there to try and find him.

Asuna: Chris Height. We've figured it out. Death Gun is an SAO survivor just like us. But unlike us, he was a red player in the guild Laughing Coffin.

Kikuoka flinched.

Chris: You sure he was with them?

Asuna: Yes. None of us can remember his name though. Klein and I met him once when our groups tried to capture his.

Lizbeth: Hey Asuna. I think Chris Height knows more than he is letting on. no offence to you Chris. All we know is that you work for the government doing something with networks. And that playing ALO is a part of doing some sort of research you're doing on VRMMOs.

Chris: Only for the past year. The job I had before was a little different. I used to be part of the task force of the SAO incident. But even though we were called a task force, in the end we were pretty ineffective.

Aleyla: Chris Height. Your obviously well connected with all of this and with a little digging you, can find the real-life name and address of this Death Gun. Just make a list of all the handles of all the surviving Laughing Coffin members and then contact their ISPs. Ask which one is playing GGO and trace their location.

He held his hands up.

Chris: Sorry but that's not possible. The ISP is not going to give out a player's real-life info if all we have to go on is their handles.

Silica: Maybe if we ask the games admins then they could help.

Chris: They might but GGOs admins are in the US. So, it'll be a while before we get an answer.

Aleyla: I know U/N. Always risking his life just so he can keep the ones he cares about safe. I've been noticing that he had been looking different lately, almost like he is constantly having the weight of the world on his shoulders carrying so much burden. Just like my brother. U/N and my brother went there to put an end to Death Gun and stop his Pk'ing once and for all.

The entire group looked down. and was disrupted when Klein hit the bar table.

Klein: Damnit U/N. Why did you not say anything. I could be backing the both of them up in there right now and all he had to do was ask and I would've converted over too.

Silica: We all would've. Don't you see why he didn't tell us? If there was any real danger in what he was doing, then there is no way he would have wanted us mixed in too. Thats just how they are.

Lizbeth: Yeah, your right. The both of them always think about others before themselves. In fact, I bet they are protecting someone right now. And whoever they are probably don't like them very much.

Aleyla: Ok Chris Height. I know you know where U/N is diving from so just tell me where now.

Asuna: Same with Kirito.

Chris: That's confidential.

Aleyla stomped towards him.

Chris: Ok. I set up the rooms myself, so they are both safe. Security is rock solid, and the monitors are top of the line. And I have a trained professional right by their sides at all times and I guarantee that their bodies are safe so there is no need to worry.

Asuna: Where are they!?

Chris: It's a hospital in Ochanomizu in Chiotawar.

Asuna: Was that the same hospital he was entering his rehabilitation?

Chris: Yes, that's the one.

Asuna: I'm going over there to see them and you're not going to do a thing about it.

---Back-In-GGO---

(U/N P.O.V)

I Was still sitting down in the cave with Sinon in my arms while petting her head to keep her calm.

Sinon: Do you have a plan U/N?

U/N: I'm going to have to kill Death Gun. If I can do that than his partner will stand down and hopefully leave your apartment.

Sinon: Ok, he is skilled. Black star or no black star. And you saw, he dodged a bullet from my Hekate from just 100 meters away. And besides. I can't just hide in this cave forever you know. And by now, other players have probably figured out the three of us are in here by now. We might as well be sitting ducks. It's just a matter of time before someone just chucks a grenade in here.

U/N: Yeah.

Sinon: And plus, we all have been a team since the beginning of this. Might as well finish it together.

U/N: *sigh* Ok. But there is still the risk of him shooting you with that gun.

Sinon: Oh that. That's just a single action sidearm. He can fire it all he wants. But I got the two of you there. Just deflect the bullets with your swords.

I looked at kirito and nodded and he returned the nod.

Kirito: And we won't let a single one hit you. Although I still don't feel good about you being out there. I mean Death Gun is dangerous and I don't want you getting close to him.

Sinon: Oh, come on.

she groaned.

Kirito: Hey I'm totally cool with having you fight alongside us. I wouldn't have it any other way. But you're a sniper Sinon. Isn't your specialty the long-range attacks?

U/N: He's got a point Sinon. I have a plan. On the next scan, I'm going to step outside and reveal myself to any of the other players on the map. That'll get Death Gun to come to us. He would most likely keep his distance and use his sniper to pick me off. If he shoots, we'll know where he is. Then you will go ahead and take him out. What do you think.

Sinon: Are you cool with playing a decoy.

Kirito: He always plays the decoy. at this point he is a natural.

U/N: And you're a professional at being edgy. Your point?

Kirito: Damn

He mumbled.

Sinon: Ok. We'll do it your way then. But if he drops you with the first shot then I'll be pissed.

U/N: Please. It's me you're talking about. Since when am I reckless like that.

Kirito: Like all the time. But what about his sniper. It has a silencer on it so you won't be able to see the bullet line the first time.

Sinon: I'll simply just predict the predictions. Like a certain no-good faker.

I covered both of their mouths because I notice one of those battle recording things in here.

U/N: It's one of those live stream recorders.

Kirito: Oh crap. Do you think it heard us?

Sinon: No. We would have to be shouting at the top of our lungs for it to pick us up. Wave to the audience, unless you two have a certain someone watching.

Kirito and I looked at each other.

[U/N] [Kirito]: Yeah.

U/N: Well. What about you Sinon? You huddled up so very close to me. People might think we are together.

Sinon: Oh please. You'd be doing me a favor. If the rest of the guys in this game think I'm taken, then they'll stop hitting on me every five seconds.

The recorder disappeared and we all sighed.

Sinon: Ok. We better get ready. We got two minutes before the next SAT scan. Kirito and I will set up here. when you get outside, fire up your terminal and let me know when our boy is close.

U/N: You know. Thinking back to the names from earlier Sinon. Sterben is the only one left that is new.

Sinon: Huh I guess that's him. I wonder why he chose that name though.

U/N: Well, if I get up close to him, I'll ask. Here goes nothing.

I start to walk out of the cave when I heard Sinon.

Sinon: Be careful, ok?

I held a thumbs up as I continued to walk.

Death Gun better be ready cause I'm about to rain hellfire on him.

---END---

Word Count: 3263

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

366K 13.1K 59
After Pein's invasion, Naruto is betrayed by his comrades and left to die. When he wakes up, he somehow travelled back in time to when he was genin a...
1.1M 47.8K 94
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
122K 3.2K 73
Stray Kids is on tour! Ella wins a prize at the concert that ends up turning her entire life upside down. She uncovers the dark secrets to K-Pop and...
1M 53.9K 35
It's the 2nd season of " My Heaven's Flower " The most thrilling love triangle story in which Mohammad Abdullah ( Jeon Jungkook's ) daughter Mishel...