In My Skin

By KaraTales

Taylor West is the epitome of self-reliance. Or she must be. Relationships are fickle. Despite finally enroll... More

Author's note
Ch 1 || The Party
Ch 2 || The New Guy
Ch 3 || Doubts
CH 4 || Braids and Worries
Ch 6 || At the Lake
CH 7 || Sherlock
CH 8 || His Suffering Face is the Best
CH 9 || Backlash
CH 10 || Fairy tales
CH 11 || Only A Single Regret
CH 12 || Just A Little Mistake
CH 13 || Owing Favors
CH 14 || Repaying Favors
CH 15 || Red Alert
CH 16 || Abandoned Puppies
CH 17 || Halloween Part I
CH 18 || Halloween Part II
CH 19 || Halloween Part III
CH 20 || Halloween Part IV
CH 21 || Library
CH 22 || Out of Bounds
CH 23 || Girl's Night
CH 24 || Temper
CH 25 || Too Cold Without a Jacket
CH 26 || New Years
CH 27 || The Whole Night?
CH 28 || Hedgehogs and Pigeons
Ch 29 || Pranks and Secrets
CH 30 || Killy
Ch 31 || Papers and Cuts
CH 32 || Mr. Pokerface
CH 33 || Drowning
CH 34 || Avoid at all Costs
CH 35 || Friends
CH 36 || Spy Stuff
CH 37 || A Terrible Friend
CH 38 || Late-Night Run
CH 39 || This One Stinks
CH 40 || Flashing Lights on Campus
CH 41 || The Quiet Before The Storm
CH 42 || Done With the Lecture, Professor?
CH 43 || Aliens and Saints
CH 44 || My Baby
CH 45 || Sleep On The Couch
CH 46 || Rules
CH 47 || Potential Wells
CH 48 || Hypocrite
CH 49 || A Taste of His Own Medicine
CH 50 || Perfectly Sob
CH 51 || The Dermatologists Are On A Different Floor
CH 52 || The Monster Beneath My Skin
CH 53 || Intervention
CH 54 || His Inner Grumpy Grandpa
CH 55 || The Problem With Plans
CH 56 || Good Plan
CH 57 || One Job
CH 58 || Not Going Anywhere
CH 59 || Love Language
Epilogue || Best Friend
Final Thoughts
Aesthetics

CH 5 || A Good Friend and His Sidekick

1.3K 58 365
By KaraTales

It was Friday night and against my better judgment, I had somehow let Chris talk me into going to another party at Crescent lake. The team had won against our rival school so basically, everybody was going.

He even came over to pick me up in person. Probably to make sure I wouldn't use driving as my excuse again, but I didn't care. Maybe I just felt guilty, but I had somewhat decided to give this another chance. Today would be better. It had to be.

My shoulders dropped when I noticed Drew and Ben already sitting in the car. Being defenders for the Vikings, PSU's football team, both were near twice my size. I had hoped to get some alone time with Chris, but then again it made sense. They did live together after all.

Drew rolled down the window. "Looking good."

I rolled my eyes. Maybe I had overdone it. I didn't usually like to draw too much attention to myself but for once my face didn't feel as if stretched out. On most days, makeup would just sit on my skin like cracked paint.

Today, silver eyeshadow and dark liner made my blue eyes pop. I was wearing ripped jeans and a cropped pink shirt with long sleeves. Two intersecting lines crossed around my midsection, revealing just a sliver of my stomach. Although it was the beginning of October, it was still above seventy degrees outside. At least during the daytime.

I jumped into the back and my nose scrunched at the mixed scent of cologne that hung in the air. A tightening sensation crossed my skin. I held my breath. When nothing else happened I exhaled. It had been a good idea to take the double dose of my meds yesterday and today. But, just to be sure, I opened the window a little, basking in the soothing cold air that blew against my face.

The guys started talking about the game and I tuned them out. I rarely even showed up to any of them. I'd take video games over football any day.

Around halfway to the lake, Chris stopped at a supermarket. I grabbed a water bottle for myself and ran smack into Cody who was scouting the aisles, a pack of chips in his hands. His white PSU sweater made his russet skin look darker than usual. His face lit up when he spotted me. "Tay, how are you doing?"

I grinned back at him. "Good, and you?"

"Me, too," he said and reached for some snacks. "That all you're getting?"

I looked down at my water and nodded.

"I never see you eat much. You on a diet or something?"

"Oh." I gripped my bottle a little tighter. "Well, I might try one out."

His brows wrinkled and he looked like he wanted to say something else but then decided against it.

"Are you going to the lake as well?" I asked in an attempt to change the topic.

"Yeah," he said and looked around. "You with Chris and the others?"

The way he singled Chris out made me worry slightly that Killian had said something to him, but I pushed the feeling aside. It wasn't like—

Wait a second.

My brows furrowed. If Cody was here that meant... "Yeah. It's probably safe to assume your faithful sidekick is around?"

Cody choked and his hand beat on his chest before his eyes fixed on a point above my shoulder.

A chill went down my spine. I turned to find Killian striding towards us, poker-faced as usual. He hadn't heard that...right?

He gave me a curt nod, but his eyes narrowed in suspicion when he caught sight of the look on Cody's face. "What did I miss?"

Cody chuckled. "Well—"

"Oh, look." I grabbed more bags of chips and pressed them into his arms. "You should try salt and vinegar, it's way better."

"Sure." He winked at me. "I think I'll go say hi to the others."

And now I was alone with Killian. Great.

My fingernails picked at the label of my bottle as I studied him out of the corner of my eyes. He was wearing a gray-green shirt with a loose fit that only tightened around his shoulders and towered over my 5'4 by at least nine inches. His sharp jawline showed just a hint of stubble, and the olive tinge to his skin only complimented the pair of hazel eyes. And suddenly they looked straight at me.

I turned my head away so fast my neck cracked. My hair fell forward, shielding my face. Maybe he would just ignore me and join the others.

"Done staring?" He asked in a wry tone.

My shoulders stiffened. He had to point it out.

"And what if I'm not?" I faced him again, faking a smile.

He shrugged. "Up to you."

"Good that you know."

"Your boyfriend is not going to pay for that?" He nudged the water I was clutching.

"He's not my boyfriend," I said reflexively.

One of his brows arched. "Yet you didn't even have to ask who I meant."

I grimaced. "Y—you said the same thing last time so of course, I know who you mean."

"If you say so."

Argh. Whatever. I came on my tiptoes and tried to look over the aisles, but they were too high. Where did Chris go?

"He's at the counter paying right now," Killian said casually.

I froze and my soles dropped back on the ground. Aha. So, Chris went to pay without me.

"It's fine, I can pay for myself." No, I couldn't. I hadn't even brought my wallet. But, I could always just put it back. My eyes dropped to the shredded label or rather what was left of it. Or maybe not.

Heat rose to my face, and I dodged Killian's gaze.

He let out a sigh, plucked the bottle out of my grasp, and marched down the aisle.

For a second, I was stunned. Then I scrambled after him. "Hey!"

"What? Are you going to pay?"

Before I had a chance to think of a retort—not that I really had any—Cody emerged from one of the side aisles and Killian braked.

I took the opportunity to snatch my water back. He opened his mouth, but I quickly faced Cody and flashed him what I hoped to be one of my friendliest smiles.

"Can you lend me some money? I promise I will give it back to you by Monday." He looked between us. "Please?"

"Of course." It sounded like duh.

I let out a breath. 

Killian stared at me, his arms folded across his chest. "Petty, much?"

"I don't like owing favors to people I don't know." I matched his gaze and crossed my arms as Cody went to pay.

"For a bottle of water?"

I shrugged. 

After a brief glance at Cody, he leaned forward and lowered his voice. "Sucks to have a boyfriend who doesn't give a shit so that you need to rely on others."

My hands tightened into fists. What an asshole. I straightened to my full height and—my head barely reached past his shoulders. "I feel bad for Cody who's stuck with an annoying sidekick like you."

He barked out a laugh. "Sidekick?"

I lifted my chin. "Yep. Wherever he is, you're somehow there too. It's like you two are attached to the hip. Are you going to the toilet together as well?"

"Sounds more like you're stalking me. Sorry, but I'm not interested in little girls that like to pretend they live in a fairytale."

My voice rose slightly. "I'm not pretending anything!"

"I see. You're just delusional then?" he asked deadpan.

I glared at him. "Whatever. It's none of your business anyways."

He shot me a flat look. "It's hard not to pay attention when it slaps you in the face wherever you go. Unless you actually think everyone around you is clueless? If I figured it out after one day, I think even the slowest person at PSU must know by now."

My cheeks flushed. "I—" The door opened and Drew strode in, his eyes searching until they dropped on me.

"Tay, we are all waiting for you? Let's go!"

Killian brushed past me without another word.

My nails dug into the soft skin of my palms. Just as well. He could think whatever he wanted.

Cody returned, a perplexed look on his face. "What's up with you two?"

"Nothing."

His brows rose. "Uh-huh."

I quickly muttered my thanks and fled outside to join the others again.

Back in the car, Chris's eyes narrowed on the bottle in my hand. "What the hell do you want with that?"

Startled, I looked up at him. "What?"

"We're drinking tonight. You promised. No backing out this time."

"Yeah, Tay, you are getting drunk tonight, hell yeah!" Ben fist-pumped the air.

My jaw clenched. "So? It's just water."

"Yeah, but for you, that's always an excuse."

"Well, excuse me. I'm just careful since I took some painkillers earlier." 

"Don't worry, there are basically no side effects. I take them all the time," Drew added.

I sighed. Except that it hadn't been painkillers... My gaze dropped and again I wondered what I was doing. I hated that I had to justify myself all the time. It was the exact reason I didn't bother explaining anything in the first place.

What did Killian say? I was delusional, huh?

My fingers flexed. I was going to prove him wrong. And if it was the last thing I did.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

239 16 9
β€’Klea Carpenter just got accepted in her dream university, where her best friend studies as well. Everything goes smooth until one day, her rival is...
159K 9K 61
A girl, haunted by her past was living in solitude. A man, running from his own demons. When their paths collide, the girl wants to run, but the guy...
406 39 10
Y/n is a small town girl from a middle class family. She is a normal girl, above average pretty, and kind. All the guys from her town wanted her, but...