Light in the Dark

By silentrambles

To Tricia, Detective Jayden Rivera was a little too reckless and aloof for her liking. Yet Tricia couldn't he... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: Nice to Meet You?
Chapter 2: White (#FFFFFF)
Chapter 3: Beige (#F4EED8)
Chapter 4: Yellow (#FFBF34)
Chapter 5: Green (#A9D39E)
Chapter 6: Blue (#ADD8E6)
Chapter 8: Red (#F88379)
Chapter 9: Grey (#C0C0C2)
Chapter 10: Pink (#FEC5E5)
Chapter 11: Orange (#F28500)
A/N: Update Schedule and Comments
Chapter 12: Coincidences
Chapter 13: Explanations
Chapter 14: Shadows
Chapter 15: Deadlines
Chapter 16: Finally
Chapter 17: Beginnings
Chapter 18: Bonds
A/N: Updates
Chapter 19: Breaking the news
Chapter 20: Goodbye and Revelations
A/N: When I do
Chapter 21: All's Good?
Chapter 22: MY
Chapter 23: Possibilities
Chapter 24: Crossroads
Chapter 25: Risky
Chapter 26: Pain
Chapter 27: Missing You
Chapter 28: Hope
Chapter 29: Repress
A/N: Which would be better?
Chapter 30: Counting down
Chapter 31: To J
Chapter 32: Opportunities
Chapter 33: Finale Part 1
Chapter 34: To Trish
Chapter 35: Man Down
Chapter 36: All is well
A/N: Coming to an end soon :')
Chapter 37: I hate you, I'm sorry
Chapter 38: Promises
Chapter 39: Family
Chapter 40: 1 + 1 + 1 = 1
Chapter 41: Kumpas
Finale: The Grace of our Beloved Morning Star

Chapter 7: Purple (#CEC2EB)

179 16 0
By silentrambles

"Morning Jayden!" Alex waved when he saw his superior enter the office.

"Morning. How...was the date with Angel?" Jayden asked.

"Wait, you're asking me? How my date was?" Alex almost spat out his coffee. 

"Yes...How was your weekend, Sabrina?" Jayden nodded before turning to the only female member of their team. 

"Good, Sir..." Sabrina was equally taken aback.

"Sir...did you hear Jayden?" Alex made a fuss as he ran to Det. Torres.

"I did...Jayden, are you okay?" Det Torres was equally confused.

"Yes, Sir. I'm perfectly fine." Jayden was regretting his decision to listen to Tricia. She'd suggested that Jayden could try and show more interest in the life of the people around him. Asking them about their day and the things they did in their free time was a way to build relationships. 

"What did you do to Jayden, give him back!" Alex grabbed Jayden by the collar and shook him.

"I'm just trying to be sociable..." Jayden explained albeit his inability to convince even himself.

"Wow, sociable and Jayden, two words I never thought I'd hear in my lifetime. But I could get used to it." Det Torres grinned. Jayden sent Det. Torres a grateful nod.

"Lunch?" Alex swung by Jayden's table. Jayden usually ate lunch at his desk so he could work while eating but Alex tried his luck nonetheless.

"Sure." Jayden nodded, making Alex stumble. 

"Sabrina, Jayden's coming to lunch with us today!" Alex called across the room to their youngest member. 

"My treat today since Jayden's coming with us." Det. Torres offered to celebrate this 'momentous occasion'. 

"They mixed up my order..." Sabrina sighed as the waiter set the food down on the table. 

"Here, mine's the thigh. I can have the breast meat." Jayden offered to exchange his plate with Sabrina's. 

"Talaga? Thank you, Sir!" Sabrina lit up as Jayden placed his plate of food before her. 

"Wow, you know that Sabrina likes the thigh meat?" Alex covered his mouth. 

"Jayden's a silent observer. He doesn't say much but he knows everything about you guys." Det. Torres defended Jayden.

"What's my bubble tea order?" Alex tested.

"Brown sugar milk tea with boba, 50% sugar. Sabrina usually gets a fruit tea with aloe vera jelly, 25% or 0% sugar. Sir takes green tea with white boba, 25% or 0% sugar." Jayden answered without a hint of hesitation. 

"What about my office habits?" Alex tried again.

"You like to get coffee at 3pm everyday and it has to be iced. Sabrina tends to tie her hair up with a claw clip and chew on Mentos whenever she gets stressed thinking about cases. Sir eats Choc Nuts whenever he's in a bad mood and enjoys having his mid-day coffee, black without sugar and milk." All these were no challenge for Jayden. 

"Wait, how come I never noticed that about Sir and Sabrina?" Alex was flustered. 

"Because you're too busy with yourself. Jayden makes the effort to pay attention, just that he didn't really show it." Det. Torres chided Alex jokingly. 

"Wow, is that why you offer me a row of Mentos and Sir a bag of Choc Nuts everytime you return from the convenience store?" Sabrina joined the dots. Jayden had always been silently offering Det. Torres and her things that they liked.

"Wait, why don't I get coffee offered to me then?" Alex was jealous.

"Because you change your coffee preference every 2 weeks? You literally swing from Starbucks' Toffee Hazelnut Latte to hand-ground coffee beans within a blink of an eye. They don't sell your fancy blends or instant coffee packs in the convenience store." Jayden retorted. 

"Hey, Jayden covers for you everytime you go on dates." Det. Torres added. 

"Fair...fair..." Alex admitted defeat. 

"Yeah, Sir also helps clean up the messes you make all the time. Otherwise, imagine how tough my life would be doing the reports..." Sabrina added in. 

"Tapping out of this 3 vs 1 now." Alex realised he was in a disadvantaged position.

~

"Hi Nurse Rose, how was your day?" Jayden approached the lady as he entered the ER. 

"Good evening Det. Rivera! It was good, how about you?" Nurse Rose smiled. 

"Uneventful, thankfully." Jayden smiled back.

"Did Alex not make trouble for you today?" Nurse Rose wondered.

"Well, he was a little cheeky but there wasn't much happening in the station so he's safe. Any anecdotes from the ER?" Jayden chuckled, surprising Nurse Rose. 

"We had a 5 year-old glue his head to a toy firefighter helmet. Dr Tricia had to convince him with a candy treat before he let her take it off his head." Nurse Rose remembered how reluctant the boy was. 

"Sounds like a sight to behold. But Dr Tricia's great with children, isn't she?" Jayden commented. 

"Definitely. Dr Tricia's always the go-to whenever there's children." Nurse Rose agreed. 

"I hear my name?" Tricia had just finished attending to a patient.

"Det. Rivera and I were just talking about our little fireman earlier on." Nurse Rose explained. 

"Our ice prince actually initiated a conversation with me...what a pleasant surprise." Nurse Rose whispered to Tricia, not knowing that she was the brain behind it. 

"He did? That's nice..." Tricia chuckled, giving Jayden a thumbs up at his effort to chat with Nurse Rose. 

"Anyways, what brings you here today?" Nurse Rose realised that she never got to ask.

"Uh...that...I..." Jayden looked at Tricia. 

"Det. Rivera and I are having dinner together." Tricia answered for Jayden.

"Really? Enjoy your dinner then, see you tomorrow." Nurse Rose was stumped but broke into a smile when she put the pieces together. 

"Goodbye, Nurse Rose." Jayden gave the lady a shy nod.

"Take care of my Dr Tricia, Detective!" Nurse Rose called out. 

"I'll make sure he does!" Tricia played along. 

"You did that one purpose, didn't you?" Jayden protested as he opened the car door for Tricia. 

"Did what?" Tricia teased. 

"You left Lola out of the equation. You, Lola and I are having dinner together." Jayden buckled his seatbelt before driving off. 

"So how did Mission: Have lunch with colleagues go?" Tricia changed the topic. 

"Ok...? At least I hope?" Jayden pursed his lips. 

"That's good. Here, I got you something." Tricia fished something out of her backpack and handed it to Jayden. 

"Jayden's Rainbow Book?" Jayden read the words on the notebook. 

"I stole the idea from my cousin, Ate Gaile. She's teaching my niece and nephew how to control their emotions. Everytime they feel upset, happy or angry, they can write it in a notebook. It helps them internalise and rationalise their feelings. Do you wanna give it a try?" Tricia suggested, looking at Jayden. 

"I...guess...I could give it a try?" Jayden accepted the notebook despite his reservations. 

"Open up the first page..." Tricia waited as Jayden did as instructed. 

"Stickers?" Jayden held up the sheets of cute stickers. 

"Natalia says that Ate Gaile gives her stickers to encourage her. 10 stickers and she gets a treat!" Tricia grinned. 

"So how do I get stickers?" Jayden was getting sold on the idea. 

"You can decide. How do you wanna get your stickers?" Tricia returned the question. 

"Uh...I don't know..." Jayden couldn't think either. 

"Anyways, I think you deserve a sticker for today. Pick one?" Tricia held the stickers out. 

"Thank you..." Jayden picked a small pug sticker and pasted it on the cover of the book next to his name. 

"Nice choice, my anak would be pleased." Tricia nodded in satisfaction.

"Anak...? You have a son?" Jayden's eyes widened in shock. 

"Rocco. My pug. He's my anak!" Tricia's eyes smiled at the thought of Rocco. 

"Ah right, your pug..." Jayden nodded in relief. His mind was frazzled for a second. 

"I'll show you and Lola pictures of my anak later!" Tricia was a proud dog mama. 

"Lola! Dr Tricia is here!" Jayden called as he and Tricia entered the house. 

"Dr Tricia!" Lola Agnes came rushing out of the kitchen to greet Tricia. 

"Salamat sa pag-imbita sa akin para sa dinner, Lola...Namiss kita." Tricia hugged Lola Agnes. 

"Ako rin...I was bugging Apo to ask when my paboritong customer was free to see me!" Lola Agnes patted Tricia's back. 

"I brought you some snacks from Naga!" Tricia handed Lola Agnes a bag that Atty Leni had brought back from their hometown. 

"Maraming salamat, Tricia. Come, come...Dinner is ready." Lola Agnes led Tricia to the small dining table. There was just enough space for 3 people. 

"Apo said you were vegetarian so I cooked some tofu, mushrooms and eggs. Is that okay?" Lola Agnes looked at Tricia. 

"Oo naman!" Tricia nodded excitedly as she waited for Lola Agnes to start first. 

"Here, eat more...you're so skinny." Lola Agnes piled heaps of food on Tricia's plate. 

"You too, Lola...Fish is good for calcium." Tricia placed a spoonful of fish on Lola Agnes' plate. Jayden just silently watched as Lola Agnes and Tricia chatted happily throughout dinner, the heart-warming sight was more than enough for him. 

"I'll cut some fruits up so you and Dr Tricia can have them while I do the dishes." Jayden cleared the table after they wrapped up their meal. 

"Do you need help?" Tricia offered. 

"Help me by keeping Lola company? She likes your company." Jayden refused gently. 

"You sure?" Tricia checked.

"Of course, Ma'am." Jayden smiled. 

"Tricia, come sit here!" Lola Agnes beckoned for Tricia. 

"Coming!" Tricia gave Jayden a grateful nod before heading to Lola Agnes.

"How was dinner?" Lola Agnes asked the moment Tricia took a seat. 

"Masarap!" Tricia gave her a thumbs up.

"Apo says it's the best in the world. I think he's just saying it to make this old lady happy." Lola Agnes chuckled.

"It's definitely one of the best I've had." Tricia assured. 

"If you like, you can come over for dinner whenever you're free! We'll be glad to have you over." Lola Agnes offered, squeezing Tricia's hand.

"Thank you for offering." Tricia gently squeezed Lola Agnes' hand back. 

"You know, you're the first person my Apo brought back for dinner?" Lola Agnes handed Tricia a slice of fruit. 

"Have Det. Torres and Det. Alex not been here?" Tricia wondered. 

"I meant first girl. Apo has never brought a girl alone home for dinner." Lola Agnes smiled. 

"Jayden and I decided to work on his emotional guilt, I think he told you?" Tricia explained. 

"He did. Daniel and I have been trying over the years to get Apo to open up, or at least try to but it never worked. You're the first one to get through him." Lola Agnes and Det. Torres had been advising and encouraging Jayden for ages.

"I must be lucky then." Tricia smiled. Lola Agnes was about to reply when Jayden walked into the living room. 

"Why the sudden silence?" Jayden commented as the two ladies stared at him. 

"Gossiping about you, Apo." Lola Agnes joked. 

"Alam ko, Lola." Jayden chuckled. 

"Hay nako, look at the time! You have to be at the hospital tomorrow, right?" Lola Agnes realised how late it was. 

"Oo po..." Tricia nodded. 

"Apo, send Tricia home quick." Lola Agnes rushed. 

"Okay lang, I can go home myself." Tricia looked at Jayden. 

"Nonsense. Apo is sending you home." Lola Agnes stuffed Jayden his car key.

"Shall we?" Jayden gestured towards the door. 

"Salamat po sa dinner. I'll see you soon, Lola." Tricia gave Lola Agnes a hug. 

"Get home safe, Tricia. And thank you." Lola Agnes whispered as she hugged Tricia. 

"Walang anuman po..." Tricia let go and waved. 

"Sorry for taking up so much of your time today. But thank you for tonight, Lola was really happy." Jayden thanked Tricia on the way home. 

"My pleasure. I'm always up for good food and company with people I like." Tricia smiled. 

"If Lola said something funny to you earlier, don't take it to heart." Jayden was shy. 

"Like what?" Tricia raised an eyebrow.

"Uh...anything that made you feel pressurised or burdened. I know you're helping me out of kindness..." Jayden explained.

"I'm helping you because we're friends. Plus, Lola Agnes was just happy to see you slowly attempting to come out of your shell. I'm sure she'll be elated to have her Apo smile more." Tricia grinned. 

"It's time I stop worrying Lola and relieve her of this burden as well...It's been equally hard on Lola dealing with my parents' death and me afterwards." Jayden sighed. He knew it was weighing on Lola Agnes' heart ever since the accident happened. 

"She's really proud of you. Really proud." Tricia patted Jayden on the shoulder. 

"I'll make her ever prouder." Jayden was resolute. 

"I think you deserve another sticker." Tricia pasted a heart sticker on the notebook cover. 

"8 more to a present..." Jayden kept count. 

"Starting thinking of one now!" Tricia motivated Jayden. 

"I do have something in mind..." Jayden replied slowly.

"You do? What is it?" Tricia was curious. 

"I'll tell you when I get 20 stickers." Jayden teased.

"Not fair!" Tricia protested adorably. 

"You'll know when time comes, I promise." Jayden shrugged. 

"Hmph..." Tricia pouted. 

"We're here..." Jayden pulled up at the Robredo's condo gate. 

"Thank you for dinner and the ride home, Jayden." Tricia got off the car. 

"Text me when you get home safe? I know it's a short distance but still, to be safe." Jayden's occupational instincts were kicking in. 

"Yes, Sir!" Tricia saluted with a laugh. 

"See you, Tricia." Jayden smiled. He watched until Tricia disappeared into the compound before leaving. 

I can't wait to hear your wish when you collect 20 stickers:)

Maybe you could be more big-hearted with giving me stickers?

Dream on. You'll have to work hard for them!

We'll wait and see then...

Booo :")

Good night Tricia

Good night too Jayden :) 

A/N: 

Jayden finally making his first steps with Tricia!!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17.2K 247 20
Impregnating her without knowing, will love still be rekindled after knowing she hid their daughter from him?
40 11 22
Synopsis: Character: Jenn Lopez and Ryan Mondragon Setting: The city of Makati city Metro Manila Philippines Languages: English Plot: There is a fa...
19.6K 543 50
Aika Robredo was a poster child: with a Masters from Harvard, a respectable career trajectory and dependable eldest daughter of the Robredo family. E...
146K 5.1K 52
This is ONLY A FANFICTION about VP Leni and Sen Risa. If you are uncomfortable, please don't read. Enjoy <3