Light in the Dark

By silentrambles

To Tricia, Detective Jayden Rivera was a little too reckless and aloof for her liking. Yet Tricia couldn't he... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: Nice to Meet You?
Chapter 2: White (#FFFFFF)
Chapter 3: Beige (#F4EED8)
Chapter 4: Yellow (#FFBF34)
Chapter 5: Green (#A9D39E)
Chapter 7: Purple (#CEC2EB)
Chapter 8: Red (#F88379)
Chapter 9: Grey (#C0C0C2)
Chapter 10: Pink (#FEC5E5)
Chapter 11: Orange (#F28500)
A/N: Update Schedule and Comments
Chapter 12: Coincidences
Chapter 13: Explanations
Chapter 14: Shadows
Chapter 15: Deadlines
Chapter 16: Finally
Chapter 17: Beginnings
Chapter 18: Bonds
A/N: Updates
Chapter 19: Breaking the news
Chapter 20: Goodbye and Revelations
A/N: When I do
Chapter 21: All's Good?
Chapter 22: MY
Chapter 23: Possibilities
Chapter 24: Crossroads
Chapter 25: Risky
Chapter 26: Pain
Chapter 27: Missing You
Chapter 28: Hope
Chapter 29: Repress
A/N: Which would be better?
Chapter 30: Counting down
Chapter 31: To J
Chapter 32: Opportunities
Chapter 33: Finale Part 1
Chapter 34: To Trish
Chapter 35: Man Down
Chapter 36: All is well
A/N: Coming to an end soon :')
Chapter 37: I hate you, I'm sorry
Chapter 38: Promises
Chapter 39: Family
Chapter 40: 1 + 1 + 1 = 1
Chapter 41: Kumpas
Finale: The Grace of our Beloved Morning Star

Chapter 6: Blue (#ADD8E6)

196 17 0
By silentrambles

"Hi, can I get an iced latte?" Jayden was visiting his favourite book cafe after a long time. Lola Agnes had banned him from coming to the bakery to help since he barely had any time to himself in the last few weeks. 

"Iced latte for Jayden!" Jayden looked up when the barista called his name. Jayden left his book on the small table before him and headed to the counter. Jayden was about to return to his seat when he heard an unmistakable voice.

"Could I have an iced latte, please? Thank you." There she was. Tricia was standing at the counter, steps away from Jayden. 

"Dr Tricia?" Jayden walked up to Tricia.

"Detective!" Tricia was pleasantly surprised to see Jayden.

"Do you have a seat?" Jayden asked. 

"Hindi pa...I was going to look for one after ordering but I don't think luck is on my side today..." Tricia pouted as she looked around the filled cafe. 

"If you don't mind, you can join me. I have a table at the corner." Jayden pointed to his two-seater area he managed to snag. 

"Talaga? Pweda ba ko?"  Tricia's eyes lit up at Jayden's offer. 

"Iced latte for Tricia!" The barista called out. 

"Of course. Come on." Jayden picked up Tricia's latte for her and led Tricia to his spot. 

"Do you come here often?" Tricia asked as she sat down opposite Jayden.

"Hmm, if you minus the days where we have weekend raids or when I'm in the bakery...I wouldn't say so...How about you?" Jayden returned the question.

"Same here...it's been a good 2-3 months since I visited." Tricia shrugged. 

"I don't remember this place being that crowded the last time I was here..." Jayden looked around with a slight frown. 

"At least we've got a quieter corner..." Tricia liked the cozy corner they were in. 

For a good hour, Tricia and Jayden focused on their own books. Despite the hustle and bustle of the other patrons, the duo found themselves engrossed on the beauty of the slightly faded ink prints on the yellow pages. Neither of them spoke a word to each other, basking in the loud silence. 

"Ay, pasensya na..." A man bumped into Tricia while walking past. The cafe was getting a little too crowded as more people entered.

"Okay lang..." Tricia smiled at the apologetic man. 

"Are you done with your book? Do you wanna go somewhere else?" Jayden suggested.

"I was about to ask you that." Tricia grinned. 

"Lunch?" Jayden looked at his watch. It was already 2pm.

"You bet." Tricia felt her stomach growl.

"I know a place with good vegetarian options nearby." Jayden held the door open for Tricia as they exited the cafe.

"Ooh, I know this place." Tricia chuckled as she saw the signboard of the restaurant.

"Thank you for the affirmation." Jayden pulled out a chair for Tricia. 

"What are you getting?" Tricia looked through the menu even though she knew what she wanted.

"Hmm, is there anything you're craving? I can get it and give you some. I'm not super picky about food." Jayden offered. 

"The grilled char siew rice is great..." Tricia swallowed her saliva.

"I thought you were vegetarian..." Jayden was confused.

"I eat the fat..." Tricia stuck her tongue out. 

"Okay, I'll get that then...Anything else?" Jayden gave in.

"Ooh the banana chocolate ice-cream pancakes are the bomb...but it's too much for me alone." Tricia hesitated.

"Let's get that too...we can share." Jayden smiled.

"Enjoy your food!" The waiter placed their food on the table as Tricia whipped out her phone for a picture.

"Do you want the pictures?" Tricia asked as she took a huge bite of her egg sandwich. 

"Maybe it's time I make use of my twitter account..." Jayden contemplated.

"Wow, what an honour!" Tricia joked as she sent Jayden the pictures of their food.

"How does following and posting work?" Jayden placed his phone on the table. Tricia stifled a laugh at Jayden's genuine question before teaching him the steps. 

"We can be mutuals!" Tricia opened her Twitter. 

"What's that?" Jayden's eyes shook.

"Mutual friends!" Tricia pressed the blue 'follow' button on Jayden's account and did so on her own.

"I'm such a boomer..." Jayden admitted. 

"Never too late to learn...anyways, I realised we never properly introduced ourselves." Realisation dawned upon Tricia. 

"Fair point..." Jayden nodded.

"Hi, I'm Janine Patricia Gerona Robredo. I was born in 1994 so I'm 29 this year. I live with my Mama, Ate Aiks and my youngest sister Jill is currently working in New York." Tricia stretched out for a handshake.

"Hi, I'm Jayden Michael Garcia Rivera. Born in 1992, so that makes me 31 this year. I live alone with my Lola." Jayden returned the handshake. 

"Nice to meet you, Kuya Jayden." Tricia awaited Jayden's reaction.

"Nice to meet you too, Tricia. Also, do drop the Kuya..." Jayden bit his lower lip, not used to the address.

"Can I have the fat on your char siew, please?" Tricia turned her attention to the chunk of fat in Jayden's bowl.

"If I get a bite of your sandwich." Jayden joked. 

"Take two." Tricia offered with a smile. 

~

"Thanks for the lunch treat." Tricia and Jayden had fought over paying but Jayden ended up winning. 

"My pleasure..."Jayden gave Tricia a small smile.

"Do you have space for a drink?" Tricia spotted a bubble tea shop further down. 

"Are you sure we can have that much sugar at one shot?" Jayden remembered the dessert they just shared. 

"There's always 25% or 0% sugar options?" Tricia pulled Jayden towards the shop. 

"I have a fitness test coming up this week..." Jayden 'complained' as he took a sip of his iced oolong tea, with 0% sugar. 

"My bad..." Tricia was embarrassed. 

"Am I taking up too much of your precious off day?" Jayden asked as they took a seat.

"I didn't have anything planned today. What about you?" Tricia shook her head before reflecting the question.

"I was planning on helping Lola with the bakery today but she chased me out with the help of the other Lolas..." Jayden scratched his nape. 

"It must have been a sight..." Tricia giggled. 

"I'm powerless against Lola and her gang..." Jayden raised his arms in defeat. 

"How long have you been living with Lola Agnes?" Tricia was curious.

"Ever since I was born. My parents were busy with work and often had to travel overseas so Lola would always bring me to the bakery after school." Jayden grew up in the bakery. 

"Oh, are your parents living overseas now?" Tricia wondered. 

"They passed away in 2006, when I was 14." Jayden let out a long breath.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to..." Tricia regretted her questions. 

"No worries about it..." Jayden assured Tricia. 

"Well, my Papa passed away in 2012 too...my Mama raised the three of us alone after that." Tricia could understand what it felt like losing a parent.

"Sir Jesse and Atty Leni are amazing people. The changes they've led, inspired and continued... I'm sure you're really proud of them. And I'm sure they're really proud of you too." Jayden encouraged Tricia. 

"You know my Papa and Mama?" Tricia let out a tiny gasp.

"Who wouldn't. Lola and I both voted for Atty Leni last year." Jayden showed Tricia a picture of them in pink. 

"Thank you, Jayden. Really." Tricia felt comforted. 

"Mind if I ask what happened to your parents?" Tricia broke the silence. 

"Well..." Jayden sighed.

"If you don't want to talk about it, it's okay..." Tricia immediately felt guilty for asking.

"We were out to celebrate my birthday. Papa and Mama were in front, I was at the back. The next thing I knew, we were halfway in the air and then boom." Jayden closed his eyes. 

"I remember opening my eyes, blood dripping down my forehead and seeing my parents equally bloodied. I reached out for them but my seatbelt was stuck. I called and called but neither of them replied." Jayden could picture the scene vividly. 

"Then people started running to us, trying to yank me out of the car. Mama had regained consciousness by then and I insisted on waiting for her but Mama begged for them to save me first. I'll never forget what she said..." Jayden buried his head in his hands. 

"Iligtas mo muna ang anak ko...Mahal ka ni Mama at Papa, Anak."  Jayden repeated the phrase with suppressed sorrow and pain. 

"The second I was extracted from the car, it burst into flames. Mama and Papa died because of me. They died because they wanted me to get out before them." Jayden felt an unfamiliar sting to his nose. He rarely cried. 

"Shh...hindi mo ito kasalanan, Jayden." Tricia pulled Jayden into a hug and stroked his back. 

"If only I didn't insist then there would have been time for Mama and Papa to be rescued...If only..." Jayden shook his head. 

"It's okay...Your Mama and Papa don't blame you...Mahal na mahal ka nila." Tricia continuously assured Jayden. 

"Sorry...I shouldn't have broken down in front of you...I..." Jayden pulled away from Tricia after calming down and realising what he'd done. 

"Is that why you were always averse to medical treatment? Because of the guilt?" Tricia prodded gently. Jayden's silence was loud enough an answer. 

"Ever since then, Lola has told me that she lost her bright and cheerful Apo...She's been there for me all these while and I really want to go back to being that Apo she misses...pero napakahirap lang." Jayden hated himself for robbing Lola of her beloved Apo. 

"You're her Apo no matter what. Lola Agnes loves you no matter what, Jayden." Everytime Tricia visited Lola Agnes, all the lady talked about was how sweet, thoughtful and loving her Apo was. 

"I don't know, Tricia...I know it's selfish of me and I know full well that this wasn't what Mama and Papa sacrificed themselves for...but it's just simpler and less painful to live in a world of black and white." Jayden confessed. He'd rather hide instead of fight. 

"Alam kong mahirap pero you have to try...For your parents, Lola and most importantly, for yourself." Tricia empathised with Jayden more than anything. She missed her Papa sorely at times but knew that the negative emotions had to be balanced out or it'd only hurt herself and the people she loved. 

"Look at the puddle there...What colour is it?" Tricia pointed to a small puddle of water in front of them. 

"Transparent...maybe blue?" Jayden answered, unsure of what Tricia was referring to. Smiling, Tricia held Jayden's hand and pulled him towards the puddle.

"Not when I add some light to it..." Tricia reflected the setting sunlight with the surface of her watch, the puddle now looked like a rainbow.

"Am I the puddle?" Jayden understood Tricia's analogy.

"You could..." Tricia grinned. 

"Do you want to be my sunlight? We could try making the rainbow together..." Jayden mustered his courage. 

"That's what friends are for, aren't they?" Tricia nodded. 

A/N:

Phew...the burden on Jayden's heart is finally out of the bag :")

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.7K 331 30
This is a Duterte - Robredo fan fiction story. They found his body, 2012, and buried it. They found his body again. Almost 6 years since they buried...
17.2K 247 20
Impregnating her without knowing, will love still be rekindled after knowing she hid their daughter from him?
602 10 16
After years of separation, Jia embarks on a heartfelt journey to reunite with her long-lost biological family. As she navigates the twists of fate an...