Saving You & I (Book #2)

By DreamOutLoud23

{SEQUEL TO SHADES OF YOU & I-An Interracial Romance BOOK #2} Asia Williams & Hunter Taylor have had their fa... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Epilogue!
Final Word!!

Chapter 11

6.4K 252 271
By DreamOutLoud23

[A/N:] Been having terrible writers' block lately :( .....

Sorry for any mistakes!

"No, you didn't!" Cora gasps.

"Yes I did." I try not to laugh.

"Holy crap you actually did it, Asia." Cheyenne huffs.

"I did." I smirked.

The three of us were on three-way, while I walked the streets of downtown Elwood. It was an early and surprisingly beautiful October Saturday afternoon and I decided to walk and get some fresh air. I planned on going to get some coffee and chill at the coffee shop for a little bit. I don't get a lot of alone time so I was taking full advantage of it since Hunter was at an away game in a town about an hour and a half away for the day.

I was telling Cora and Cheyenne about my little encounter with Mandy yesterday and how I yoked her up and told her to leave me alone. The girls didn't believe me at first, but I was more than proud of myself for doing so.

*Flashback*

I was rushing to my locker after leaving my book that we were reading in English class. Mrs. Brown told the class to bring our copies of "Macbeth" to class yesterday and I had completely forgotten. Thankfully she wasn't too upset when I asked to go to my locket for it and thus here I am now.

"Oh hey there, friend." I hear that all too familiar voice coming from behind me.

I decide to just ignore her, she seriously isn't worth the time and energy. Ever since I got back to school from my incident, I haven't seen her. I was done with Mandy; didn't she know that by now? I retrieved my book and shut my locker and turned without even looking at her. I rolled my eyes when I heard extra footsteps beside me.

"Ignoring me won't change anything, you know." She tells me.

I don't make any indication that I was listening to her.

"I deleted the files and shredded the pictures, FYI," Mandy adds. "I didn't have to, but I did."

I laugh loudly. So loud that it made an echo throughout the hall. Now, Mandy had my attention and I was about to confront her hardcore. I needed her to know that I wasn't about to put up with her anymore. It was either that, or me having to listen to her talk the whole way back to class. And she needed to know I didn't care about a word she says. She was a liar.

"I don't understand why that amuses you." Mandy says.

I stop abruptly and turn to look at her with the meanest face I could manage.  "No, you didn't."

"What?" Mandy's eyebrows furrowed. She was so good at this game of pretending, it really amazes me.

"You wanna know how I know that you're lying, Mandy?"

"With pleasure, Asia." She nods.

"Because I did it."

"What are you talking about—"

"You know exactly what I'm saying. You went home to a file that you couldn't find and pictures that were no longer in your room because I deleted the file and burned the photos myself. And guess who helped me. Your own brother, Cedric."

Mandy's eyes were wide, and I knew my words had caught her off guard.

"I had to take matters into my own hands, Mandy. You didn't actually think I would trust you to delete those files, did you? C'mon, Mandy. I'm not that naïve. I smirk at the frown on her face.

"It was you," She gasps. 

I raise my eyebrows at her and smirk. She reaches out for me, her face twisted up in an angry way. But I was quick. I grabbed her by the collar of her shirt before she could even lay a finger on me and swung her around so that she was pressed up against the wall.

"It's over, Mandy. You don't have control over me anymore and never will, got that?"

  "Oh really, Asia? Coming from the girl who still ate one of my cupcakes even after you claim to be over me? How dumb are you?"

"I knew you sabotaged my cupcake. I knew it the moment it tasted funny." I say between my teeth.

"It's a pity that Matt believes me over you, isn't it? I bet it angers you that he trusts me more than he trusts you."

 "He'll realize the truth sooner or later."

"Let's just hope it's not too late then, huh?" She laughs. "He's not as pure as you think he is, Asia. Get that into your head. You keep up with that mindset and you're going to be very disappointed."

"What are you talking about?"

"You'll find out soon." She smirks.

I press her harder against the wall. "I'm seriously done with you, do you know that? You're just jealous because Hunter wants me and not you. That's exactly what this is." I tell her. "And guess what Mandy? He told me he loves me more than he's ever loved you. He never wants you back. You're a lying, psychotic bitch and we don't need the extra drama in our lives."

"Sure, Asia. Tell yourself whatever you want. But Hunter and I talk on the daily basis."

"You wish." I laugh bitterly.

"Don't have to when it already happens. And when he breaks up with you for me, you'll be sorry."

"I'm sure that won't be any time soon, so I'd hold that breath of yours, Amanda." I warn her. "And admit that you're using Matt. You don't really care for him, I know you don't."

"Matt needs me just as much as I need him."

"For what?"

"Don't worry about that."

"Whatever," I wave it off. "Just leave me alone before things get ugly."

"You're going to rue this day." She warns me.

"I doubt it."

"Don't."

"Just stop talking to me and mind your own fucking business next time."

 I push her hard against the wall and let go of her shirt, which left a wrinkled spot. Mandy remained against the wall, looking at me with her wide, dark eyes. I continued to walk down the hall and was surprised to see her still up against the wall when I rounded the corner.

Like I said before, I am done giving her the power over me and next time she tries to bother me I'll make sure to bruise her face.

*End of Flashback*

"You're growing up," Cheyenne pretends to sob into the phone. "I taught you well."

"Yeah well I'm tired of her manipulating me just as much as you guys are tired of watching me get manipulated."

"Amen to that, sister." Cheyenne says and Cora and I laugh. 

"Just know that we are always here for you, Asia." Cora reminds me.

"Yeah," Cheyenne adds. "I've been wanting to give someone a quick jab to the mouth for the longest. And if Mandy keeps up with it, she'll be my first contestant."

I laugh loudly at her words. "You are so violent."

"Now that I can't argue with." 

"What are we going to do with her, Asia?" Cora asks about Cheyenne.

"What can we do with her, is the question," I laugh.

"Nothing!" Cheyenne answers.

"That may be true..." Cora agrees, causing the three of us to giggle in unison.

"Hey guys, I gotta go," Cheyenne says. "My nephew is being a pain in the ass."

"Okay, Auntie Chey Chey." Cora teases.

"Goodbye!" She yells into the phone before her line goes dead.

"She is something else," I chuckle.

"I've dealt with this since Pre-K, Asia. Trust me, I know." Cora says, and I can picture her rolling her eyes.

"True,"

"Oh! Someone's calling on the other end."

"And who might that be? Evan?"

"Most likely," She agrees. "I didn't reply to his text message so he's probably all like 'babeee, why didn't you answer my message?'"

I laugh. 

"I'll text you." She says.

"Okay, but if you don't, I'll be calling you saying 'babeee, why did you answer my message'." I mimic the same voice Cora used for her imitation of Evan's voice.

Cora laughs really loudly. "Bye, Asia."

"Later." And we both hang up.

I begin to pick up my speed and look down when I hear my phone go off, indicating that I had a text message. 

"Wanna hang out later?" It was from Hunter. 

"I thought you weren't getting back until late tonight?" I reply. 

"So? I'll always make time for you."

"Good to know ;). What do you wanna do?"

"I was thinking maybe a movie? There's this really cool vintage movie theater about a half hour from here that I wanted to check out."

"Fine with me. What time?"

"6 okay with you?"

"Yeah."

"Cool, I'll see you then. Love you."

"I love you, too." I reply and slide my phone back into my pocket. 

I spot the coffee shop just a few stores down and happily make my way towards it. 

"Is that you, Miss Asia?" I hear a voice say. 

I whipped around and spotted a petite woman standing a few feet away from me, smiling with her hand on her hip in an almost sassy way. I smirked and walked over to the older lady, who was quick to give me the tightest hug she could manage. Geesh, for such a small lady she sure does give breathtaking hugs. 

"Hello, Maria." I say when she pulls away. "It's good to see you."

"Asia, it's been so long! I haven't seen you since...July?" She squints her eyes as she tries to remember. 

"Yes, it's been quite a while." I nod in agreement. "Matt's been a very busy person."

"Oh yes he has. He and his new girlfriend have been glued to the hip! I hope he hasn't pushed you to the curb..."

"Just a little," I admit sheepishly. 

"Aw, I know he means no harm by it, Honey. Maddie and I, especially Maddie, miss you."

"I miss you guys, too." I agree honestly. "You should come over for dinner...if that's okay with your parents?"

"Yeah, of course." I nod. 

"Great! Maddie will be so excited. I don't think she's very fond of Mandy, and I can't say I blame her."

"That's doesn't sound very good." I try to hide my smirk. Thank god someone else could see through Mandy's BS of a façade.  

"Mandy's a very uh...different girl. She carries a weird vibe that Matthew seems to carry whenever he's around her, and I'm not so sure I like it. Don't tell him I said that." Her eyes go wide. 

I chuckle at her anxiousness. "Your secret is safe with me."

"Have you met her?"

"Yes."

"And what do you think of her?"

"We don't really get along..." My voice trails off. "I feel like she's using Matt."

"Me too!" Maria agrees. "But Matty can't see that."

"I tried to tell him and he got mad at me, so I just wish them the best."

"Me too, Asia. At least I'm not the only one thinking this. I didn't want him to think I was being mean. I'll let Matty make his own mistakes in life and I'll be there to help him pick up the pieces when it's broken."

"Same." I nod. 

"So where are you headed?" Maria asks. 

"Just to grab a cup of coffee," I shrug. "It's beautiful outside today."

"Yes, and we have to cherish it before the real cold sets in again." She laughs.  

"Right," I laugh along. 

"So would you be able to come over tomorrow at 6?"

"Yes, that's completely fine." I confirm. 

"Great!" She smiles. "Well, I'll let you get back to enjoying your Saturday. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Okay." I hug her again. "Oh, and I'm sorry for loss."

Confusion flashes through Maria's eyes and I furrow my eyebrows. 

"Matt told me about his grandmother passing and I know the funeral was earlier this week, so—"

"Asia, no one in our family passed away recently," Maria shakes her head. "My mother is still well and alive."

"Really?" My face fell. 

Maria nods. "Matt told you his grandmother passed away?"

"Yeah," I nod. "The funeral wasn't on Wednesday?"

"No," She shakes her head. "Honey, Matt must've lied to you. No one in our family died, I can assure you on that."

"So why would he tell me that?" I frown. 

"I don't know, I could ask him—"

"No, I'll call him tonight about it." I shake my head. 

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah." I nod. "I'll see you tomorrow, Maria."

She gives me a look of pity. "Okay, Asia. See you later."

I wave before turning around and making my way into the coffee shop.  After offering my coffee and donut, I sat down still feeling highly perplexed. Matt lied about his grandmother dying. I mean, who does that? And the fact that he even lied to my mother about it kind of pisses me off.

What is going on with him? Why would he do that? Was whatever he was going through that serious that he had to start lying? He was using a family death as an excuse for his unpredictable mood swings and that didn't sit very well with me. One thing was to lie, but another was to lie about something big like that.

Maybe he did it because he didn't want me in his business. I don't know, but it was really weird and I needed to get to the bottom of it. 

<>.<>.<>

"You're forgetting your cookies!" My mother shouts from the kitchen. 

"Oh shoot! I completely forgot!" I say to myself and hit myself on the head. I rush back into the kitchen and retrieve the container from my mother's hands. "Thanks."

"Somebody would've been upset," She smirked at me. 

"Definitely." I nodded. 

"Please be careful with the car," My mother tells me. They were lending me their car tonight since Kyle was out and it was my first time driving it alone.

"I know and I will." I promise. 

"It's not like you can't drive, why don't you get your license?"

I shrug. "Maybe I'll ask Dad to take me next weekend."

"You should." She gets back to cooking her own meal. 

I hesitate by the door, contemplating on whether or not to speak to my mother. She speaks before I make a final decision.

"You're going to be late if you don't get going."

"I know, I know."

"So why are you still standing there?" She chuckles. 

"I just wanted to ask for your advice."

"Uh oh," She turns to look me in the eyes. 

"Why are you saying uh oh?" My eyes widen. 

"Is a love triangle forming?" She guesses. "Ace, I like Matt, but you and Hunter have been through so much—"

"What? No, Ma!" I crinkle my nose and shake my head. "That's not what this is about at all."

"Oh!" She laughed aloud, as she stirred her pot of noodles. "So what is it? I don't want you to be late, Ace. That's not a good look."

"Ma, it'll be alright. It's not like it's a date." I wave it off. "I was just really confused about what I should do with Matt."

She gave me a perplexed look. 

"What I mean is...Matt said that his grandmother passed away recently."

"Yeah, I remember you telling me that." She nods.  

"Well, when I ran into Maria yesterday, I was giving her my condolences, but she told me no one in her family passed away."

"What?" My mother gasped and her jaw hung open in shock. 

"Yeah, he lied to me. He told me his grandmother dying was stressing him out, which was the reason he's been so moody with me lately, but now that I know it's a lie, I don't know how to feel about it."

"Well I think you have every right to be mad about it," She says. "Lying about someone's death to justify your actions is low. Especially if you guys are best friends. That makes no sense. Why would he lie?"

"Right. And I don't know if I should confront him or not."

"Well, why wouldn't you? You're making him think that lying to you is acceptable."

"I know, but we're always arguing over things—"

"And this time you have a valid reason on why you should be upset with him. If it were Hunter, I know you would confront him the moment you found out. Am I right?"

She did have a point. 

"You know what? You're totally right. I'm going to talk to him about it and express my feelings."

"Good. You two are very close. Matt should understand how you feel and if he doesn't, shame on him." 

"Thanks, Ma." I walk over to hug her. "You always give great advice."

"It's my duty as your mother to." She smiles. "Now go before you're really late."

"Okay, okay! See you later." I wave and hurry out of the house. 

I make it to the Guidetti household in 15 minutes. I park the car in their driveway and making my way to their front door. I was about 5 minutes late, but I didn't think that was too drastic. I rang doorbell and was greeted no later than 30 seconds later by my favorite little 14-year-old. 

"Asia!" Maddie squeals and barely gives me a chance to open my mouth before she pounces on me. Her tiny and bony arms lock around my neck, putting me in a chokehold that was making it hard to breathe, and her long legs wrapped around my torso. This took me so off guard that I stumbled back against the door before carrying her into the house.

"Maddie...you're suffocating me." I whisper.

"I haven't seen you in sooooo long!" Maddie shrieks. "Why you did leave me?!"

"Blame your brother! He never invites me over anymore." I tell her, just as Matt and Maria enter the foyer of the house.

"Madeline, get off of her before you break the poor girl!" Maria yells at her daughter.

"Fine." Maddie groans and climbs off of me. She gives me a quick and extra tight hug before stepping back.

"Mads, you can totally blame your brother for not inviting me over or setting up dates for you and me." I nod at Maddie.

Matt scoffs and shakes his head. "I've been busy." He runs his fingers through his outgrown thick, brown, loosely curled fringe.

"Never say you're too busy for real friends, Matthew." Maria warns him. "Because when you need them, they won't be there for you."

"Oh, Asia will always be here with me," Matt smiles. "She may not know it yet, but she will soon."

"That sounds so creepy." Maddie's face scrunches up in disgust.

"He is creepy." I joke and smirk.

"What can I say? I'm an honest guy." He shrugs nonchalantly.

Oh really? I beg to differ...

"All right! Dinner is ready, so why don't we go and eat? Asia, I hope you're hungry because I kind of made a lot to eat."

 "Mom, why would you even ask that?" Matt says. "Asia is like always hungry—no questions asked."

Everyone laughed and Maria took the container of cookies from my hands.

"Well I certainly can't argue with that." I shrug with no trace of shame in my excessive love for food. "Besides, I baked some cookies for dessert."

"Mami and I made a cake! It's a red velvet cake." Maddie exclaims.

"Mmm" I hum. "I can't wait to taste it." I smile.

"Ha! Do you remember around Christmas time and we had that big flour fight because I didn't want you to eat any cookies?" Matt says as we walk to the dining room.

"Yes!" I laugh. "It seems like it was just a few weeks ago, rather than 10 months ago."

"Those were the really good times." Matt says. "Back when everything was so easy."

"Things aren't easy anymore?" I furrow my eyebrows. 

"Not like they used to be," He shakes his head. "Back when things between us just seemed so effortless and we were on great terms. I miss when I could do this and get a reaction out of you." He reaches for my hand and I inhale sharply and don't take my eyes off of him.

 I was frozen. I didn't know what to say to him. I didn't have any feelings for Matt in that way anymore, I only saw him strictly as a friend and nothing more. I didn't think he had feelings for me anymore because it's been so long and he is with Mandy now. So why is he saying this to me?

"Matt—"

"You don't have to say anything, Asia." He mumbles really lowly. "Just accept it." He looks into my eyes before dropping my hand and going to sit down at the table just as Maddie and Maria bring food to the table.

 I blink a few times, stunned. Just accept it? What does that even mean?

I bit my lip and went to sit down across from Matt and kept my mouth shut. I wasn't going to pry anything out of him, because I might not like what I'll hear. So until all the food was placed onto the table and we blessed the food, I kept my mouth shut and eyes on the food. 

There were a lot of things that I could handle and be strong about, but hurting Matt's feelings about my unrequited love was not one of them.

<>.<>.<>

It was coming to the end of the dinner, and we were all gushing—well I was mostly gushing over how great the cake was. They all loved my cookies as well, and now I was completely full and satisfied. After the awkward encounter between Matt and me, things went back to normal. The dinner went really well, and I really enjoy their company.

"Oh, Asia?" Matt calls, catching everyone's attention.

"Yes?" I ask, biting into a cookie.

"Tell Hunter I said congratulations."

My face fell and I grew clueless. "On what?"

"On his scholarship."

"What scholarship?"

"To Notre Dame," He says. "Mandy told me that yesterday the scout from Notre Dame wants Hunter to join their lacrosse team on almost a full scholarship! I heard him talking to their coach, and I guess Hunter and his parents are super excited and he's thinking about committing."

What?

"You didn't know?" He notices my very confused facial expression. "He didn't tell you?"

"No." I shook my head.

"Yeah, the lacrosse team was excited about it yesterday during my gym class. I'm surprised he didn't tell you."

"A full scholarship?" Maria's eyes widen. "That school is almost $50,000!"

"That's what I said!" Matt agrees.

"That boy must be great at that sport he plays," Maria nods, clearly impressed. "But Indiana is so far."

"I—I don't know what to say," I huff. "That's really big news!"

"I'm surprised he didn't tell you," Matt says. "Apparently coach told him a few weeks ago about how the scout is going to be at the homecoming game and they're all excited."

"Wow." Why didn't Hunter tell me this?

"You don't sound excited for him."

"No, I am. It's just...he never told me about Notre Dame."

"Maybe he wanted it to be a surprise."

"Maybe..." I shrug. 

But I knew it wasn't that. I had a huge hunch Hunter wasn't telling me because he knew that Indiana was far and that there was a possibility that I wouldn't follow him there. That school is very expensive, way more than my family could afford and way too much that I'll end up being in debt the rest of my life. But still...why wouldn't he tell me he was thinking about it? As far as I knew he was looking at schools in this state and in New York. Not in Indiana.

"I think I should get gong now," I say. "It's getting late and it is a school night."

"Right, of course! Would you like to take a late home?"

"Sure." I nod.

"I'll do that right now." Maria gets up and goes to make me a plate to take home. "Maddie you need to get upstairs and take a shower and get ready for bed."

"Ugh...I'm so full." Maddie groans. She gets up from her chair and we give each other a hug. "Promise me you'll come visit me soon?"

"I promise." I nod.

"Good night." She smiles at me before making her way out of the dining room and upstairs.

I watch as Matt finishes his cake and wait for Maria to come back with my plate.

"Thank you for having me," I move to give her a hug.

"It was a pleasure having over, Asia." Maria rubs my back. "Come over for dinner any time you'd like."

"I certainly will." 

"I'll walk you to the door." Matt stands up and we walk out of the dining as Maria begins to clean up.

"Good, because there's something we need to talk about." I say.

"Okay." He nods.

He walks me out to my car and folds his arms across his chest. It was cold out.

"Am I expecting something good or bad?"

"Why did you lie about your grandmother passing away?" I cut straight to the point.

At first, confusion flashes through Matt's eyes, but then when the words fully process through his head, his eyes grew wide and pitiful.

"How'd you find out?"

"Glad to know you're not denying it." I retort. "Why would you lie about someone dying, Matt? That's just...so absurd! You seriously pissed me off. You say you're going through a lot, but a death in the family certainly isn't one of them."

"Okay listen," He reaches out to touch me but I jerk away from him. "I didn't know what else to tell you that would really explain my behavior."

"Oh, I don't know...maybe the truth?"

"That sounds so much easier when it's said."

"Why do you think you have to lie to me?"

"Because I don't need us to argue and for you to worry about me."

"Matt, lying is what makes us argue. Just tell me you don't want to tell me, it's not like you haven't told me that before."

"C'mon, you're making me sound like a horrible person."

"I'm making you sound like anything. I just don't get you."

"I guess I'm not meant to get."

"Whatever. All I know is that I'm highly upset with you."

"You didn't seem too upset with me back in the house."

"I know how to push things aside for the time being when I need to." I shrug.  "I just can't figure out why you lied. Is it Mandy? Is she making you do something? Is she behind all of this?"

 "What?" His face scrunches up. "See, here we go again. You always tie everything back to her like s's the cause of everything."

"Lately, she has been."

"That's where you're wrong. You don't even know her like that yet you think she's Satan."

"No, not Satan." I shake my head. "But psychotic, yes I do."

"Really? Psychotic?"

"Let's not forget who tried to kill me earlier this week. Or do you have amnesia?" I squint my eyes at hm.

"She did not try to kill you! It was an honest mistake!"

"It was hardly a mistake when she admitted it to me."

"Why is this suddenly about her? Let's focus back on the part where I lied to you." He tries to change the subject.

"Oh, so you like the fact that you lied to me? How nice." I scoff.

"Asia, it wasn't like that," He shakes his head. "I just need time before I can tell you."

"That's what you always say."

"Because it's true."

"You've changed, Matt. An I can't understand you sometimes."

"I know." He agrees. "But give me time and I will gain your trust ack. I promise to never lie to you again."

"How do I even know that wasn't a lie?"

"It's not. I'll understand if you don't want to talk to me right now, but I really am sorry for hurting your feelings."

"But you're not sorry for lying to me?" I ask.

"In time the truth will all come out. I'm just waiting for the right time."

"And do you know when that will be?"

"Just give me a few weeks, okay?"

"Yeah, sure. Whatever." I mutter. "I have to go."

"Good night." He says and opens my door for me.

"Goodbye, Matthew."

"You'll get over it soon I know you will."

I don't reply, he was being way too cocky at the moment. I just mumble a see you later and try to shy away from him when he kisses my cheek and closes my car door. I didn't want him kissing my cheek, it felt too intimate between us. But I let it slide this one time.

I really don't understand him. And I need to understand what he means by in time the truth will come out. Because although I need to now, I'm not so sure I want to.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

815K 26.7K 45
"I'm sorry Asia, but I will never accept you and I won't allow this relationship. You're too black and he is too white. End of discussion." The one l...
446K 18.8K 19
*Book 1* Does he know how I feel about him? Does he know that I would do anything for him? Does he know that's he's my definition of perfect? Tyler...
131K 5.8K 47
{SECOND BOOK TO A CHANGE OF HEART!! Do not read if you haven't read the first book!} Zuri Russo and Zane Khan have been through their fair share of u...
414K 10.5K 41
***Interracial Romance*** ***Sexual Content*** Maxx, a middle class good girl who never dares step into trouble and Daniel, a rich bad boy that has...