Chapter 2

"Now Ace, don't get too upset." My father tries to calm me down.

But I couldn't be calm. How could I be when I just came home to see my brother kissing Ashley? I was pacing back and forth across the kitchen and my parents were just watching me. Kyle was outside saying goodbye to Ashley because we were going out for dinner.

"How—when—why—when!" I exclaimed.

"Well, for the past few weeks they've been seeing each other..." My mom says.

"And you're okay with this?" I look at her with wide, crazed eyes.

Suddenly, Kyle enters the room and I scoff and roll my eyes.

"Ace, I can explain." Kyle says.

"That was not what I was expecting to come home to." I cross my arms over my chest. "In fact, I wasn't expecting that ever."

"I know and there's an explanation for it."

"Ha." I roll my eyes. "Try me."

"Ashley and I have done a lot of talking and I can't help that I'm drawn to her, Ace."

"You got mad at me because she wanted me to help get you guys back together. You told me that you would never get back with her—"

"You said the same about Hunter."

"Hunter never targeted me. If anything, he looked out for our family." I snap.

"Look, I know you're angry and I can't blame you for being angry, but we're all okay with my decision."

"We're all?"

"Mom, Dad, and me." He motions to my guilty looking parents.

I turn to look at them, feeling appalled. "Let's not forget who Ashley is. Let's not forget that she deliberately tried to have someone rape me! And yes I said rape, in case you guys don't remember. Because I surely remember that night like it was yesterday."

I saw my mother wince at my words and my father's jaw tightened. I know I shouldn't be so harsh, but I felt betrayed. My brother claimed that he was disgusted by this girl yet now they were seeing each other again? After all the hurtful things she's done to me and him (I mean after all, she did play him), he forgives her?

I was so mad because he didn't talk to me about it and probably didn't plan on it. Me seeing them was a mistake, I'm sure of it. And I was mad because of it. Sure Ashley may have stood up for me a few months ago, but that doesn't change things. You don't automatically get a free pass for one little deed that you've done.

"Look, Ashley is really trying to change." Kyle says.

"You don't think she's gonna betray you?"

"No, I really don't." He shakes his head.

"Well that's nice to know. Ashley always comes before me."

His face scrunches up. "What are you talking about?"

"You always put Ashley before me. Sure you're quick to believe her, but let me tell you something you don't like and you scream at me. And yes I feel betrayed, Kyle. You out of all people should know that." I walk out of the kitchen, ignoring my parents shouting after to me.

I walked outside and sat down on the stairs. I watched as the porch light came on because it was beginning to get dark out and the fireflies that shine on and off.

I really didn't know what I was feeling at the moment. Yes, I was happy to be home. But things like this make me want to disappear.

Being away from this town made me miss it like crazy, but I can't believe I actually forgot about the drama that came with it. Or maybe it was just me. Do I attract the drama?