Sycamore Tree {Complete}

By rainbowkiller0

The Queen is dead and her best friend is angry. Elowen Redfort, Queen Aemma's Lady-in-waiting and close... More

Part One
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Part Two
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Part Three
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Part Four
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Epilogue

Chapter Thirty-Five

6K 239 18
By rainbowkiller0

House Targaryen had quickly descended onto Driftmark upon receiving news of Lady Laena Velaryon's death.

The sound of waves crashing against the rocks below filled the air, mixing with Ser Vaemond Velaryon's speech. A stone coffin holding the body of Lady Laena Velaryon sat on the edge of a cliff as men wrapped ropes around it.

Elowen stood beside her husband at the front of the crowd, though there was a thick tension between the two. They had not truly spoken since Viserys's accusation and Harwin and Alicent's departure. Elowen could feel Viserys glance at her from the corner of his eyes. She leaned closer to Helaena, linking her arm with her daughter's. Tilting her head slightly so the black veil she wore hid Viserys from her view.

The High Valyrian became harsher as Ser Vaemond directed his words toward Rhaenyra. And though Elowen could not understand the language, she had no doubt it was meant to question the paternity of Rhaenyra's children.

A giggle from where Prince Daemon stood interrupted Ser Vaemond's speech. He paused for a moment to glare at his niece's widower, before continuing. The ropes that had been tied around Laena's coffin were pulled causing the sarcophagus to slide closer to the cliff's edge.

A loud splash filled the air as Laena's coffin tumbled over the edge and into the water, sinking to the depths to never be seen again.

★・・・・・・★

After the funeral, the guests were invited to socialize on a balcony jutting out of the cliffside. Elowen sat beside her husband under a pavilion overlooking the crowd. Viserys had attempted to speak to Elowen when she had first sat down, but she merely ignored him.

"Elowen-" Viserys attempted to speak to Elowen once more.

"You should speak to your brother," Elowen interrupted her husband as she stood to her feet. "Offer him your condolences."

Viserys could do little more than watch as Elowen walked away, the crowd parting around her as she moved towards her children.

"My sweets," Elowen spoke, interrupting whatever conversation her children had been having while they watched Helaena play with some insect she had found. "Your cousins have lost their mother and could use a kind word."

"Must we mother," Aegon whined, taking another sip from the goblet in his hands.

"Don't whine, Aegon. It's unbecoming of a Prince." Alyssa snickered, digging her elbow into his side.

"Yes." Elowen ordered, snatching the cup from her eldest son's hands. "And no more wine."

"Are you coming with, Lae?" Alyssa asked her twin, leaning over the younger girl's shoulder.

Helaena shook her head no in response, continuing to mutter to herself under her breath. Alyssa shrugged, wrapping her arm around Aegon's as she followed her brothers into the crowd.

Elowen watched as Aegon was soon distracted and pulled Alyssa away to follow after a servant girl carrying more goblets. Daeron glanced between the two and Aemond, before following after his eldest brother and sister. Aemond stilled for a moment, watching his siblings disappear into the crowd before he continued on. Ever the diligent son, Aemond followed his mother's commands and went to stand by the two girls.

The twins merely glanced at their cousin, saying nothing to the older boy. The tips of Aemond's ears grew hot at the continued silence. As Aemond's lips parted to speak to the young girls a fourth body joined them. Aemond stiffened at the sight of his nephew, he took a step back itching to flee the situation. A hand grabbing his own stopped him. The twin with two buns atop her head tightly held onto Aemond's hand, staring up at him with watery eyes.

"An eye is the price." Helaena whispered as she looked up at her mother.

Elowen glanced down at her daughter, brows furrowed in confusion. "The price of what?"

"The price is an eye." Helaena repeated, turning back to the spider crawling over her fingers.

A sigh fell from Elowen's lips as she knelt down to press a kiss to Helaena's temple, brushing back the strands of white gold as she did so. Elowen stood back up, turning back to look through the crowd. Upon spotting Rhaenys leaning against one of the pillars of another pavilion, Elowen moved through the crowd.

"Rhaenys." Elowen greeted the older woman as she pushed out of the crowd. She stepped closer to the Princess, laying a hand on her shoulder. "I am so sorry for your loss, my friend."

"Thank you, Elowen." Rhaenys attempted to smile though it didn't reach her eyes. She lifted her hand to lay it over Elowen's.

"Laena was such a kind soul, her absence is felt deeply by us all." Elowen flipped her hand over to hold Rhaenys's, lowering their hands in front of them. "If you ever need anything from me or my house, please do not hesitate to ask."

"Thank you, my friend." Rhaenys squeezed Elowen's hand, before releasing it and stepping away.

Elowen watched as Princess Rhaenys knelt before her granddaughters and pulled the girls into a hug. Aemond stepped aside to give the two some privacy before a distant roar was heard.

The click of a cane hitting the ground, alerted Elowen of her husband's presence. Turning to face the man she had married. "I'm going to bed, Elowen. Will you be joining me?"

Elowen paused for a moment, searching her husband's face for something. She saw his sadness clearly in his eyes, as he deeply regretted what he had said to her. Elowen took a deep breath, feeling the anger melt from her bones. A small smile pulled at her lips as she decided to forgive the man she loved.

"Of course my love, I shall join you soon." Elowen pressed a kiss on her husband's cheek, startling Viserys. His eyes widened at the affection his wife had finally shown him, he had longed to feel her touch again.

Viserys nodded his head, a hopeful smile lighting up his face as moved towards the castles entrance.

★・・・・・・★

The chambers that had been provided to the King and Queen were cold. A chill entered the room through an open window, only combated by the roaring fire in the hearth. Viserys reclined on one of the chairs facing the fireplace, a goblet of wine held tightly in his hand as he watched the flames dancing in the hearth.

Closing the doors behind her softly, Elowen moved to where Viserys sat, placing a hand on his shoulder as she passed him in favor of her own seat. "You should be resting, my love."

Viserys looked to his wife, taking her in for a moment before speaking. "I wished to speak to you."

"On what?" Elowen prompted, leaning forward to lift a second goblet up. She smiled as she raised it to her lips, finding it already filled with her preferred spiced honey wine.

"Rhaenyra's proposal, we never spoke of it." Viserys eyes remained locked on his wife, fearful she was still angry with him.

"Well," Elowen sighed, sitting back in her seat. "We would have discussed the matter if my husband had not insulted my integrity."

"I am sorry," Viserys sighed, leaning forward in his seat to take one of Elowen's hands in his. "I should not have said such a thing. I know you did not marry me for my crown, and that you love me for the man I am."

"Then why did you say such a thing?" Elowen asked, flipping her hand over to tangle her fingers with Viserys's.

"Before the Great Council I was able to pretend I was just some lord of the court. My father would inherit the Throne from my grandsire, and would rule for years before the crown would be placed on my head. I thought I would have time to grow before I would have to rule. And then my father died and suddenly lords that had once ignored me in favor of my father or grandsire were swarming around me, trying to befriend me in order to raise their status. And I welcomed it, I revealed in the newfound attention. It wasn't until Aemma spoke to me that I accepted that these new friends only wished for what I could give them." Viserys sighed, tearing his attention from the flames to look into Elowen's eyes. "It does not excuse the way I spoke to you, but for a moment I feared you were like the lords and ladies from my youth. I am sorry, my love."

Elowen was silent for a moment as she processed what her husband had said. "I do not love you for your crown or your status. You could be a penniless peasant and I would still adore you with all my heart."

Viserys grinned, gently tugging Elowen out of her seat. Elowen chuckled as she allowed Viserys to pull her towards him until she landed in his lap. Her hand not held by Viserys tilted his chin up, smiling as she leaned in to press a kiss to his lips. The couple enjoyed each other's touch before pulling apart for air.

"We still must speak of Rhaenyra's proposal," Elowen leaned into Viserys, wrapping her arm around his shoulders. "And while on the topic I had another match I wished to speak to you of."

"First, what are your thoughts on Jacaerys and Helaena?"

"As long as he treats her kindly I take no issue with the pairing."

"I agree," Viserys pressed his lips to Elowen's cheek. "And what of this other match?"

"Aemond and Rhaena seemed quite close this afternoon."

"The girl is in mourning, Elowen."

"I am well aware, Viserys," Elowen argued. "I only mean that they have so much in common."

Viserys stared at Elowen for a moment before sighing. "I suppose you have a point and there would be no harm in speaking to Rhaenys and Corlys."

"Thank you, my love." Elowen grinned, pressing a kiss to Viserys's cheek in thanks. Her lips brushed over cheekbone, trailing down to his lips. She hummed as he lifted his hand to the side of her neck, his thumb caressing over her jaw.

The sound of the door slamming open caused Elowen and Viserys to jump apart, thinking it was one of their children coming to disturb them. A pit began to form in Elowen's stomach as she realized Gretchel was the one who had run into the room.

"Gretchel? Whatever could be so-" Elowen began to question the maid.

"There's been an incident." Gretchel panted out.

The pit grew larger as Elowen jumped to her feet. Questions swam through her mind but no words would form on her tongue, too fearful of what answers she might receive. 

AN: Whenever I make them kiss it feels like when my parents would kiss in front of me and my brothers when we were kids. Like yeah I'm happy that you're in love but please stop doing that in my presence k thanks. 

-ELE

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

80.2K 3.5K 33
The Lannisters are getting a queen on the throne but they have ulterior motives behind wanting a crown. But doesn't everyone? But Aelsa Lannister se...
74.8K 3.2K 16
After her mother's death, Vanora's estranged father comes to her rescue. She quickly realizes that having Daemon Targaryen as a father isn't easy. Bu...
21.7K 498 15
𝐖𝐞 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐦𝐚𝐝𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐅𝐈𝐑𝐄 𝐖𝐞 𝐰𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐦𝐞𝐚𝐧𝐭 𝐭𝐨 𝐁𝐔𝐑𝐍 sorry for not adding this sooner but SLOW BURN Delusional fanon Aegon Targa...
19.7K 568 12
King Viserys Targaryen and Queen Aemma Arryn are expecting another child - possibly a new heir to the Iron Throne. After all, after the birth of two...