The Serpent Queen

By SaleyBelle

"I am Catherine di Medici; queen of France and mother of kings." At a time when women are taught to be quiet... More

Before reading
Characters I
Act I
01. The Proposal
02. Alessandro
4. Lorenzo
5. Meeting the French
6. Meeting the French II
07. Prayers
08. Wedding bells
09. The consummation
10. The newly wed
11. Honeymoon Love
12. The Queen
13. A Farewell
14. The Ladies in Waiting
15. Margaret of Navarre
16. Despair
Recap Act I
Act II
17. The Prince
18. Rekindling
19. The start of something new
20. A new start
21. Giulio Di'medici
22. Grief
23. Good News
24. Henry Tudor
25. The king's plans
26. Preparations
27. Margarita of Austria
28. The Florentine people
29. The king of England
30. The Scottish Alliance
31. The Wedding Night
32. Anne Boleyn
33. Destiny
34. Loss
35. The Accused
36. The Accused II
38. Diane
39. Wise Words
40. Betrayal
Recap act II
Act III
41. The heir of Florence
42. Broken Promises
43. Queen of Scotts
44. Familie ties
45. Divorce
46. The depart
47. Rulers
48. Persuasions
49. Bitter end
50. The fall of the scottish queen
51. The fall of the scottish queen II
52. Memento Mori
53. Momento Mori II

37. A mothers grief

168 5 0
By SaleyBelle

18th of January, 1536, Paris

Tw: mention of execution and deceased babies

Francis carefully entered Catherine's room and saw that the room was already full. In addition to Catherine's ladies-in-waiting and the doctors, members of his family were also present.

His son Henri had taken a seat on Catherine's bed. With one hand he held Catherine's hand and with the other he gently stroked her hair.

His wife Eleanor sat on one of the chairs on the other side of the bed, holding an embroidery in her hands. She had positioned herself next to Catherines to keep an eye on her, and so had his daughter Madeleine.

Francis looked at Catherine. The marks on her skin had cleared by now, which meant the detoxifying medicine had helped.

"She's slowly getting her beautiful blush back." Eleanor said smiling. "The doctors are positive that she will wake up very soon and have no fear that she will not bear a child in the future."

Francis smiled. "That's good news, we'll have to organize a mass to thank the lord for his blessing and let the little boy peacefully enter the gates of heaven.

Henri, who only now noticed his father, climbed off the bed. "Who? Who did this to my family." He asked. He was ready to kill that person with his own hands.

Francis began by relaying what had just happened and told him that the boy would be executed today.

Henri ran his hands through his hair. He felt extremely stressed by everything that had happened. He was not only stressed but also tired and downright sad. He would have loved to hold his son in his arms.

He and Catherine would finally have fulfilled the promise to themselves and each other: they would make sure they were stronger than his brother Francis and let his father now that he, as the second son, was as worthy as the crown prince he so adored.

But now everything was broken, and all because Catherine was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

And it was partly Henri's fault. He had encouraged Catherine to visit the Queen, even though she had summarily refused.

"I want to be there when he feels the blow of the axe. I want him to suffer in his last moments father." He looked at his father with a look of anger that Francis had not seen on his son before.

"But of course, if that's your wish." He replied, he looked hesitantly at Henri.

༺༻

That evening, Henri stood beside his father, the English king, and his brother in the tall tower of the palace that overlooked a dais built for the execution.

The boy was dragged along by two guards and his cries could be heard from afar.

The boy looked with a pleading look at the tower where he knew the kings were watching.

"Your Majesty! Please!" he shrieked. His voice so shrill that the birds perched on the walls of the palace flew away.

But Francis, as ruthless as he is at the moment, did nothing. Instead of reacting, he watched as the boy was pushed onto the block and killed with three hefty blows. His head rolled onto the stage and his body went limp. The executioner grabbed the head by the hair and held it up towards the tower.

Prince Francis who had looked away when the ax hit his head turned white at the sight of the disembodied head. Henri, on the other hand, had been watching, and was still watching.

It didn't bother him. This boy had harmed his family and if it were up to him, he would have allowed this boy a longer and more painful death.

Never again would he see the people he loved hurt. He had sworn that when he saw his little boy and his wife, who seemed to be dying.

The moment the ax had killed the boy, Catherine gently opened her eyes.

"Lady Stepmother!" Madeleine called out, noticing that Catherine was trying to open her eyes. Eleanor immediately threw aside her embroidery and stood up.

Catherine's eyes opened now

"Catherine dear, you're awake, thank God." exclaimed Eleanor. "Madeleine, you must call your lord father and your brothers."

Madeleine, who immediately perked up at the sight of Catherine's awakening, ran out of the room. Catherine's ladies-in-waiting were quick to arrive and immediately knelt down as she thanked God for the blessing that had just fallen upon them.

Catherine looked around confused. She felt heavy, as if she were being pressed on her head with a strong hand. She was unable to get up and it was difficult to speak.

"Water." Catherine tried to say. Her throat felt terribly dry.

"Sure, drink here." Eleanor held a cup of lukewarm water to her lips. Laura held Catherine's head up a little so she wouldn't choke and Catherine greedily gulped some water.

When her thirst was quenched, Catherine finally managed to speak. "Laura, what happened?" she asked confused. Her memories were still a blur, she didn't know how or when she ended up in bed.

Tears welled up in Laura's eyes as she thought about a way to break the bad news to Catherine. She knew Catherine would be heartbroken, especially when she was in such a state of confusion.

She cleared her throat and calmly began to recount the events of the last two days.

"Caterina, it was God's will to keep your child with him already. You miscarried from poison you took in Queen Anne's chambers. The poison was originally intended for her to poison her and her child to death, but has unfortunately fallen into your hands." Laura looked at Catherine, whose tears were already streaming down her face, and then continued.

"We thought we were going to lose you, Caterina, we were so scared. But God was on your side and brought you back to us."

Catherine tried to process Laura's words. She suddenly remembered what had happened the last few days. She remembered how she fell down in the great hall, and the pain she had felt. She remembered Francis, who had hovered over her in concern and called for help.

Everything came up again and she became overflowing with sadness.

"Where's Henri?" she asked. She thought it was odd that her husband wasn't by her side when she had been in such a critical state.

"Henri has been watching by your side day and night. He has now gone to the execution of one of the perpetrators." Eleanor replied, understanding what Catherine was feeling. "I sent Madeleine to notify him."

Just then Henri stormed into the room. "Catherine!" he cried, hurrying to her bed. Catherine tried to sit up at the sight of her great love.

He took her hand and pressed dozens of kisses on it as he gently thanked God for the miracle.

"Henri.."Catherine wailed. "Our baby...". her voice broke before she could say more.

Henri whispered softly. "The perpetrators of our son's death will be punished both in this world and in the hereafter."

Catherine looked at him with a look of sorrow. "Our son?". Henry nodded. Catherine fell back into her pillow and began to cry.

She was already sad when she heard that she had lost a child, but when she heard that the child was also a boy, she was overcome with sadness and pain.

A son was what they needed. And thanks to the actions of others, they lost that son.

Her baby, her baby, death because of hatred for another.

The perpetrators were dead. But that wouldn't bring her baby back.

"I'm so sorry." Henri whispered. Seeing his wife in such grief, tears also appeared in his eyes. "I should never have forced you to go to the queen, then this wouldn't have happened."

Catherine said nothing, and continued to cry.

Henri was right; if he had never forced her then it never would have happened.

But it was already too late. Nothing more could be done.

"Would you like to take a look at our son? I waited to bury him until you were awake, knowing that you would like to see our baby." Henry asked gently.

Catherine nodded and Henri sent someone to fetch his son, who was already in his coffin.

At Catherine's request, Henri helped her up into bed. She leaned limply against Henri who had come to sit next to her

The door of the room opened again and King Francis, Prince Francis and Madeleine entered the room.

At the sight of his daughter-in-law sitting up in bed again, Francis let out a sigh of relief.

"Thank God, you are well." he praised. He made a cross sign.

Catherine bowed her head briefly. "Forgive me, Your Majesty, it is not possible for me to curtsy." Catherine apologized hoarsely.

"You are forgiven, dear Catherine. Please don't worry, you'll soon have another child, that's guaranteed." Shushed Francis, Catherine.

Catherine nodded in response. Madeleine walked over to her and hugged her. She had been terribly worried the last two days and was glad that Catherine was finally better.

The door opened again and one of the midwives walked in with a bundle in her arms. The midwife curtsied to the king as she handed the child over to Catherine.

Catherine removed the white sheet from her son's face.

Her son was still small. Not even as big as her forearm. It was already colored blue.

Catherine felt her body shake. "My boy." she whispered. Her tears fell on his tiny lifeless body. "My poor boy."

"Sssh shh." Henri soothed her as he took her in his arms. But in vain, Catherine cried out.

I think it's ridiculous that I have to watch a commercial to read my own book outside of my drafts 😒

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

108K 2.6K 56
Fortune favors the brave or incredibly reckless. Charles Brandon, the Duke of Suffolk, a man of impulsive nature takes a risk on a woman of cautious...
75.9K 2.5K 38
Update: Every 2 weeks Weds AEST ____________________________________ Chosen as a last resort to overcome Anne Boleyn's rise to Queen, Isabella De Ang...
34.2K 1.1K 74
You think you know a story, but you only know how it ends. To get to the heart of the story, you have to go back to the beginning. 👑 Madeline Brando...
80.9K 2.2K 30
in which her reign is tested. [sequel to fair] [seasons 2-4]