The girl behind her smile

By Browngirl_101

- TW: mentions of ED and depression BOOK 1 OF THE LOST SERIES _ _ _ He swallows, taking a small step forward... More

~ Author Note ~
~ character aesthetics ~
- prologue -
- 1 -
- 2 -
- 3 -
- 4 -
- 5 -
- 6 -
- 7 -
- 8 -
- 10 -
- 11 -
- 12 -
- 13 -
- 14 -
- 15 -
- 16 -
- 17 -
- 18 -
- 19 -
- 20 -
- 21 -
- 22 -
- 23 -
- 24 -
- 25 -
- 26 -
- 27 -
- 28 -
- 29 -
- 30 -
- 31 -
- 32 -
- 33 -
- 34 -
- 35 -
- epilogue -
Sequel update :)

- 9 -

179 8 0
By Browngirl_101

ELIZA

Nothing mattered to me anymore, my focus was all on Ezra now, watching every step, every breath he took. I find it hard to look away, and all I can feel and see is red. 

The rage. 

The blood. 

Every blow the opponent takes is returned too Ezra with twice the intensity. He stumbles back, and instantly I understand that this fight will be over very soon. I understand that his world is no longer as clear as it was a few moments ago, that his vision is clouding and begging him to end the torture. One last strike to the his right cheek. A few moments pass and Ezra's unsteady stance has fallen, the ground embraces him with a cold smile, stained by his blood.

I am not shocked. I knew this would happen. But why am I forgetting to breath? Why are there tears racing down my face? Why is my mouth open? I think I am screaming, I am not sure, I can't hear anything. Not the announcement of the winner, not the cheers of the monsters who won their bet, not Zayn shouting my name, trying to grab my attention. 

Zayn yanks me way from the crowd, and yet I still face the centre of the arena, where my brother was being taken away from. From the corner of my eye, I catch a glimpse of the man who brought me here. I can feel his eyes drilling into my face. But I don't give him the satisfaction seeing the sadness in my eyes. 

The doors close behind me, and Zayn is still dragging me up the three flights of stairs. Even if I am not able to physically see the ring, the image of Ezra half dead on the floor has etched, no burned itself into my mind. And the only question running through my mind is why?

Why

Why

Why

Why.

He promised me. We promised together that we wouldn't do this. Whatever this was. I'm so frustrated, and angry, and upset, and tired, so very tired. When will my family ever catch a break,  it's one thing goes right, then ten things break on us. 

But among all the confusion and betrayal, I still trust him. Ezra's not stupid, in fact he's far from it. He's very brilliant, nothing is a miscalculation, unless his feelings are involved. So I am sure that there is a very explainable reason to all of this self destruction. And if there is one thing I know is that he will tell me when he wants me to know.

But I am still very angry at him.

"Hey, are you feeling better?"

My concentration snaps up to the one familiar face I can stand seeing out of the three that was here today. 

"Yeah... Yeah I'm better." I glance around, the car park is slightly more crowded than when we came in earlier, and the rays of the sun are starting to retreat once more. I look down, I hadn't realised that whilst my mind was running, we had managed to reach outside, I was crouched in a squat near the wall next to the entrance.

"You scared me back there." Zayn is now crouched next to me, "You just stopped responding at all, I-I wasn't sure what was wrong."

I stay silent, unsure what to say.

"You were struggling to breathe, so I had to get you out of here, which is why I dragged you out here, I know you needed space and air."

"Thank you," I turn to look at him with a small smile, "I mean it."

A few moments of silence past between us, our breath becoming long and slow as we listen to the distant wails of a siren far out in the city.

"Are you alright?" He asks, "You can... You can talk to me you know? I'll be here to listen."

"I- I don't really know what to say," I draw in a trembling breath, "Why is he doing this? W-what even is it? An underground ring or something? A-and Jasper, why was he just sat there, it's all so confusing and I really want to punch Jasper in the face."

He lets out a small chuckle, "It's some sort of underground fight club, I don't now the technical terms or anything, but it seems like the viewers and investors bet their money on a fighter and whoever wins gets a cut I presume."

"Money? Why does Ezra need money?" I frown

"I don't know, but it seems to me that Jasper owns this ring," I look sideways at him, "I know he owns a few around the city and even some outside, this must be one of them."

"Wow..." I scoff, "He's uh.. He's rich alright." 

He owns these rings, masses and masses of them, he's not new to blood and gore, he introduced it to the city. He suddenly feels different, his place in society is way more influential than anyone his age, and the aloof aura his presence emits now feels like a facade. But when I turn to look at the boy sitting next to me, I can't help but think how different they are. Zayn seems to make me feel at ease, knowing what to do and what to say to help me. The complete opposite of Jasper, the one who puts me in situations that make me feel like I am anything but at ease.

I wonder how they are together, do they get along?

"That he is." Zayn pauses. "Shall we head back then?"

"Yeah, lets go."

-

All the way to school I kept giving Ezra side glances, I was still contemplating on whether or not I should ask about his injuries.

I had arrived earlier than Ezra that night, and I had purposely avoided him to reel in my anger towards his decisions. I could hear him conversing with the rest of my family downstairs, the hustle and bustle of early evening activities. Nothing seemed unusual, which was confusing, was no one going to ask about the bruises on his face? Where he had been? 

The car comes to a halt in the schools car park, and we all clamber out. Ezra yanks my arm and takes me to the back of our car. I look up at him confused.

"What do you want to say?" He asks.

"What?" 

"You've not stopped looking at me since you've woken up, what do you want to say?" His brows furrow.

I take few seconds before I ask him the question that's been dying to leave my mouth.

"Where'd you get that bruise, and don't say it's from the fight at school, I know that one is already healed."

He sighs, "This is from training yesterday, remember? I told you guys not to wait up for me because I had a session with the coach."

I purse my lips, "Ok." I reply warily, letting him know that I wasn't fully convinced with his answer.

"Can I go, now that you've asked what you wanted to?"

I nod my head, signalling to him that he was free from me.

I watch him walk away with clenched teeth. He had a cover story ready, I forgot about his MMA training. Does he even go there anymore, or has it only been a thing to cover for the underground fights he's involved in? Though they are both some form of fighting, one is clearly less dangerous and more legal than the other. 

-

The school day runs by quicker than I had anticipated and I had not yet run into Jasper. I was thankful honestly, I'm not sure if I would be able to keep my temper in check seeing him. Although I know that Ezra is the one who made the choice to join, I can't help but feel like Jasper is responsible partly. His satiated smirk watching my brother fall makes me writhe in anger. Jasper has a way of pushing my boundaries unknowingly, I am slowly retracting the promises I made to myself for my own sanity. I try hard not to hate or stay in my own anger, but I fear I will soon reach my limits. And I am scared. I am so scared that if I continue along this path, I will fall somewhere dark and deep, and I won't be able to come out. 

Just as the final bell rings, everyone makes their way out of the common room, I stay seated, only beginning to pack my belongings when a few minutes tick by.

A searing pain shoots through the left side of my head, I drop my bag on the floor and my knees grow weak as the pain increases. With one hand I grip the surface closest to me, whilst clutching my forehead with the other. The pain forms a pulse, beating in synchronisation with my racing heart and I struggle to keep my eyes open. The lights in the room become unbearable, forcing my eyelids to slam shut. I struggle to rip my bag open, hoping to find water and painkillers. My hands shake as I bring the water back down after finishing it, sinking to my knees and taking deep breaths, hoping for it to pass. 

A few beats later, the intensity of the pain has decreased considerably, however I remain seated on the ground, confused. My mind races with questions in the void of the beating pain. The pain was something I have never experienced before, it seemed to intense to be brushed of as a normal headache. What's happening to me?

I give myself time calm down, before I stand back on my feet and grab the bag next to me.

"Enjoy the show yesterday?" A cocky voice asks from behind me.

The last thing I needed was for him to taunt me. Finding my resolve to ignore my searing vexation, I take a deep breath before spinning on my heels, staring at him straight in the eye. His smirk falters at my look of indifference.

"Yes, in fact." The lie slips off my tongue like honey, I wasn't about to let him see my mask slip.

His eyebrows raise, "Oh? I didn't know you enjoyed watching your brother get beaten up."

I stalk forward, "I enjoyed it, because it proved to me how pathetic and petty you are."

I pause before passing him, my shoulders lining up with his own, my head turns to the right, looking at his face, which was still positioned to where I was stood before, "You know, I really feel sorry for you." All I could feel was the rage that had been bottled from yesterday, if I was careful not to let the lid blow then, then it can definitely be contained now, "What kind of fucked up childhood did you have, to be satisfied with the destruction of other people?"

I continue on forwards, "Oh, and let me remind you, Jasper, you don't scare me, you don't frighten me, and you certainly do not hold any power over me."

The slow beating in my head had once again picked up its pace, I took this as my sign to leave, not giving a chance for Jasper to respond. 

The overwhelming feeling of dread takes over my senses, I had forgotten momentarily who was and what power he holds. As long as Ezra fights in his ring, he is not safe. Jasper has the power to control who he fights and when he fights, and the animosity between them, I am sure, makes it harder on him as it is.

I glance up, seeing my siblings wait in the car makes me shove my fear away.

I have to tell Ezra that I know. I have to tell him to stop before something unreversable happens. And I have to do so soon.

———

Hey guys, 

Hope you enjoyed today's chapter, please don't forget to VOTE and COMMENT any errors in my writing.

Thank you,

 Elle x

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

42.7K 1K 29
(STORY ON HOLD READ MY OTHER BOOK FOR MORE LIKE THIS:)!) A sweet girl who would rather read alone than hang out with someone. Delilah loves the idea...
7.4M 205K 22
It's not everyday that you get asked by a multi-billionaire man to marry his son. One day when Abrielle Caldwell was having the worst day of her life...
73.4K 6.5K 43
"He was brought here about a week ago." She said. "Did he really kill his twin brother?" He enquired. "That's what they said." She replied..... Be...
2.3K 145 69
A 'sneak peak' of a future series chronicling the events of Castlevania Nocturne following Emmaline Tepes and her mother as they watch over their des...