The Serpent Queen

By SaleyBelle

"I am Catherine di Medici; queen of France and mother of kings." At a time when women are taught to be quiet... More

Before reading
Characters I
Act I
01. The Proposal
02. Alessandro
4. Lorenzo
5. Meeting the French
6. Meeting the French II
07. Prayers
08. Wedding bells
09. The consummation
10. The newly wed
11. Honeymoon Love
12. The Queen
13. A Farewell
14. The Ladies in Waiting
15. Margaret of Navarre
16. Despair
Recap Act I
Act II
17. The Prince
18. Rekindling
19. The start of something new
20. A new start
21. Giulio Di'medici
22. Grief
23. Good News
24. Henry Tudor
25. The king's plans
26. Preparations
27. Margarita of Austria
28. The Florentine people
29. The king of England
30. The Scottish Alliance
31. The Wedding Night
32. Anne Boleyn
33. Destiny
34. Loss
36. The Accused II
37. A mothers grief
38. Diane
39. Wise Words
40. Betrayal
Recap act II
Act III
41. The heir of Florence
42. Broken Promises
43. Queen of Scotts
44. Familie ties
45. Divorce
46. The depart
47. Rulers
48. Persuasions
49. Bitter end
50. The fall of the scottish queen
51. The fall of the scottish queen II
52. Memento Mori
53. Momento Mori II

35. The Accused

160 7 3
By SaleyBelle

17th of January, 1536, Paris

"Did you enjoy the ball despite everything that happened?" Anne asked her niece Catherine Carey, her sister's daughter, who was sitting on the stool across from Anne, massaging her hands.

She had retired to her bedroom hours ago and had already stripped off the heavy dress she had been wearing that day and exchanged it for her nightgown and overcoat.

"Yes aunt, I danced wonderfully." Catherine replied with a smile, twisting her face at the thoughts of the French Duchess lying on the floor and the blood left on the floor after she left. The party soon came to an end and everyone had returned to their bedrooms.

"Will everything be all right with the Duchess, aunt?" she asked worriedly. Anne shook her head. "She seemed to have lost a lot of blood so I fear her child will not make it alive in this world." she said softly.

Anne herself knew well what it was like to have a miscarriage. After Elizabeth was born, she got pregnant again, but the baby was lost around Christmas. It had been hard for her to pretend to be happy because of the many celebrations that were celebrated for Christmas when in reality she was grieving for the child she had not yet known.

She had another miscarriage the following year and both she and Henry had been very disappointed in losing another possible son.

She had sworn to herself that she would carry this child to the end and give the king a healthy son so that her burden would also be lifted from her shoulders.

"Your Majesty, Your Majesty!" called her cousin Margaret Shelton. "Yes madge?" Anne replied, annoyed at her cousin's loud voice.

Margaret came into the room, a look of concern on her face.

"What is it?" Anne asked now more alert and concerned. "Is it the King?"

Margaret's shook her head. "Oh good lord, no it is not the king, your majesty. There are French guards at the door and they refuse to let anyone in or out. We are locked up."

Anne took her hands from Catherine's and got up from the chair. "What do you mean there are French guards at the door? Where are the English guards and why don't they let anyone out." She walked over to Margaret.

"Your Majesty, if I knew I would have liked to tell you, but they refuse to say a word, no matter how much I kept nagging."

Anne sighed in exasperation and walked out of the room, into her audience room and then to the door, which she opened with aggression. Margaret and Catherine ran after her to assist their mistress with whatever she was planning to do.

"What is the meaning of this?" she asked sternly to the guards who had turned to the open door.

"By the orders of King Francis you are required to remain in your chambers." said one of the guards. "I am the Queen of England. You cannot lock me up in my own chambers!" cried Anne. She tried to force her way through the guards, but they blocked the passage with their lances.

"Let me through!" she called now. She felt herself growing weary of squabbling but refused to be disrespected by the French guards when she herself was the Queen of England.

"My lady, I must kindly ask you to return to your chambers and await the king's orders. You are confined to your chambers like the other Englishmen."

Anne stopped struggling as she let the thoughts run through her head. "Like the other Englishmen stuck in your room," which meant that not only she was remanded, but Henry and the rest of their court as well.

That meant something had to be done before otherwise there would be no reason to lock everyone up.

She went back into the room where the rest of her ladies-in-waiting looked at her expectantly. They all wanted to know what was going on, but the problem was that Anne herself didn't know what was going on and why they were locked up.

༺༻

On the other side of the long hall, Henry lay in bed with a French woman on his chest.

He had taken the opportunity to bring a French woman to his bed since he could not bed Anne.

Henry had decided long ago in their marriage that he would not remain loyal to Anne. Why would he? He was the king of England.

"You may go." Henry said as he pushed the woman off his cheat and sat up. He took a sip from the glass of wine on his bedside table and watched as the woman, whose name he couldn't even remember, get dressed, curtsy, and leave the room.

He smiled with satisfaction. He had to admit that the French whores were much easier to get rid of than the English whores who always wanted a little more money or favors.

Henry dropped himself back onto the bed and closed his eyes.

"Majesty." He heard his groom's voice. Henry made a growling noise in response.

"Your Majesty, the doors of your room are guarded by French guards who refuse to let anyone in or out of the room.The lady is still in the audience room.

Henry sat up again. "How dare those guards stand at my door! Where are my own guards!" shouted Henry angrily.

The groom backed away. "They have been sent away on the orders of King Francis." he said cautiously, fearful that the king will have a fit of rage.

As the groom had feared, Henry angrily got out of bed and angrily walked over to the door and flung it open. "Get away from my chambers right now or I'll ask for your heads!" Henry yelled angrily to the guards.

"Your Majesty, by the orders of King Francis, you are required to remain in your chambers. Would you kindly return to your chambers and await the orders of our king?" Said the guard.

Henry sniffed with his nose. Francis had the balls to lock him up in his own rooms. Henry wouldn't have that, he would show Francis what happened if you tried to imprison him, a king.

"Out of my way!" Henry yelled, shoving the guards aside and making his way down the hall.

The nagging pain in his leg continued to grow with every angry step he took, but Henry was so furious he could only ignore the feeling.

"Francis!" he shouted angrily when he saw the French king turn that corner, followed by his wife, eldest son and eldest daughter and his guards. "How dare you!"

Francis stopped and looked at Henry with a fury he had never felt before.

"How dare you, Henry? I welcome you to my country and home, treat you with respect and even talk of making a new alliance with England, and then you thank me by poisoning my daughter-in-law and cursing my grandson into his grave." he said in an angry tone.

Henry stopped. "Why would I want to poison your daughter-in-law? How dare you accuse me of such a bad thing?"

"She was poisoned in your wife's chambers with the Duchess of Longueville. They drank from a wine your wife offered, and she herself refused to drink, and fell ill soon afterwards. Will you tell me that was not done by your wife?" Eleanor said.

Henry shook his head. "Anne would never do that..." he stammered. He knew Anne wasn't so heartless as to do something like that.

"And yet she did it. And you will pay for that." Francis said "Guards! Take the king back to his chambers."

The guards grabbed the king by both arms and tried to pull him back to his own chambers but Henry struggled.
"Let go of me! I am the king of England! do you hear me? I am the king of England!" he yelled. "Francis, you will pay for this, to accuse another king of such a thing, that is a crime."

Francis glared at him. "Your wife will be questioned at the tomorrow. Obviously you didn't know about this situation but that doesn't mean it will go unpunished for either of you."

Francis continued down the corridor and his retinue followed him, without giving the king another glance.

Do you believe that Anne is guilty?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.1K 158 12
What if Catherine's first daughter had lived? This is the story of Isabella Tudor, First Child of Henry VIII and Queen Catherine of Aragon. Born in J...
104K 2.7K 11
- ๐Š๐ˆ๐ƒ ๐‘Ž๐‘› ๐‘’๐‘‘๐‘š๐‘ข๐‘›๐‘‘ ๐‘๐‘’๐‘ฃ๐‘’๐‘›๐‘ ๐‘–๐‘’ ๐‘ ๐‘ก๐‘œ๐‘Ÿ๐‘ฆ ๐‘“๐‘–๐‘Ÿ๐‘ ๐‘ก ๐‘๐‘œ๐‘œ๐‘˜ ๐‘œ๐‘› ๐‘กโ„Ž๐‘’ ๐‘Ÿ๐‘’๐‘Ž๐‘”๐‘Ž๐‘› ๐‘‘๐‘Ž๐‘ฃ๐‘–๐‘  ๐‘ ๐‘’๐‘Ÿ๐‘–๐‘’๐‘  ๐ฌ๐ก๐ž ๐œ๐จ๐ฎ๐ฅ๐ ๐ก๐š๐ฏ๐ž...
5.2K 172 9
When Francis falls ill, Catherine discovers Mary's plan to return to Scotland with Conde. Will she be able to stop her from destroying everything? (...
29K 930 27
England is broke and on the verge of war yet again. With growing fear inside the walls of the Westminster Palace leads King Henry VII to make a deci...