Sycamore Tree {Complete}

By rainbowkiller0

The Queen is dead and her best friend is angry. Elowen Redfort, Queen Aemma's Lady-in-waiting and close... More

Part One
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Part Two
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Part Three
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Part Four
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Epilogue

Chapter Twenty-Seven

6.6K 215 10
By rainbowkiller0

The ship swayed back and forth as it rode over a great wave. Elowen sat on a settee, in one arm Helaena slept soundly, unbothered by the hard journey they were making. With her other arm, Elowen held onto her son and other daughter who were trying to wriggle out of her grasp. 

"Aegon, stop." The mother ordered as the toddler kicked at his mother. "Viserys," Elowen called, looking up to her husband who sat on the other side of the settee, leaning against the arm with his fist held to his mouth. "I know you don't feel well but if you could please pay attention to your children-"

Elowen trailed off as Viserys jumped up, stumbling to the side of the ship and emptying his stomach of its contents.  Lord Lyonel Strong, the new Hand of the King, followed after him, holding out a handkerchief. The Queen watched as her husband thanked the man and used the banister to push himself upright. It was moments like these that Elowen remembered how sick her husband truly was, and how he was fighting off an illness the maesters did not know how to treat.

He pressed the handkerchief to his lips as he turned back to Elowen. His footsteps were slow and precise as he made his way back to the pavilion he had been sitting under. He neared Elowen, falling back onto the settee she sat on. Hazel eyes trailed over Viserys's face, searching for something.

"Your Grace," Elowen's head snapped to where Lyonel Strong stood. "Perhaps the young Prince and Princess would like to see the waves."

Elowen nodded, allowing Lord Lyonel to take Aegon's hand in his and lift Alyssa into his arm. She watched him lead her children to the bannister, holding a child in each arm. As Aegon and Alyssa squealed and clapped, Elowen turned back to her husband. Viserys seemed to shrink in on himself, sinking further down so he could rest his head against Elowen's shoulder.

"The sea does not agree with you, my love." Elowen teased, turning her face to press a kiss to the top of Viserys's head.

Viserys hummed, lifting one of his hands to lay over Elowen's that supported a sleeping Helaena. "Targaryens are made of fire, we are not meant for the sea."

★・・・・・・★

The carriage ride from the docks to the castle of Driftmark had fared better. The gates opened into a bare courtyard where Lord Corlys' son, Ser Laenor and a young knight sparred. The two men quickly came to a stop and bowed to their King and Queen.

"Where is Lord Corlys? He should be here to receive the King." Lord Lyonel questioned the two young men. But before either could answer, the door opened and Lady Laena, Lord Corlys' daughter, walked out followed by her uncle.

Elowen felt sick at the sight of the beautiful young lady who had been the better match for her husband, she knew all of his advisors had pushed him to agree to the marriage. Lady Laena had grown into a gorgeous woman of Valyrian blood. Full Valyrian blood. As if he knew what was going through his wife's mind, Viserys reached out and grabbed her hand, squeezing it to remind her he was there. He had chosen her.

"Welcome to High Tide, Your Grace." The comely young teen dropped into a deep curtsy as a pleasant smile lit up her face.

"What is the meaning of this, Lady Laena?" Lord Lyonel questioned, stepping forward. "Is this how House Velaryon greets its King?"

"My father has but just returned from his long journey and he has hastened to the Hall of Nine to await Your Grace's Arrival."

"Let's just get on with it," Viserys muttered, leading the group forward into the castle.

★・・・・・・★

The doors slammed closed behind Elowen and Viserys, cutting Rhaenyra off from the conversation about her future. Ingrid and Gretchel followed closely behind the King and Queen, the young Princesses held tightly in their arms as they exchanged glances. Both knew that their being there was strange and uncommon, lowly servants were not meant to be partial to such important conversations.

"Should I even be here?" Elowen whispered, her hands tightening around Viserys's upper arm as he led her further into the hall.  Aegon walked beside her, a chubby hand holding onto his mother's skirt. 

"Nonsense. You are my wife, the Queen, I will not hear any questions about your presence." Viserys dismissed, as they rounded a corner finding Lord Corlys sat upon a throne waiting for them. He stood at the sight of them.

"Your Grace." Corlys greeted the King, ignoring Elowen and Lord Lyonel as he kneeled before Viserys.

"Rise, Lord Corlys." Viserys coughed.

"Be welcome." The prideful man stood up, before looking at Elowen. "May I offer you a chair, my Queen?"

"I prefer to stand at my husband's side, Lord Corlys. But I thank you for the offer."

A different pair of doors swung open, as Princess Rhaenys entered the hall. Her face was brightly lit by the large smile on her lips. "Cousin!"

"Princess." Viserys responded, turning to his older cousin.

Rhaenys stepped forward taking Viserys hand in greeting. At his hiss of pain her smile fell and Elowen stepped closer to her husband taking his arm once more.

"Are you well?" Rhaenys asked, looking between Elowen and Viserys.

"Very." Viserys smiled at his cousin. She stared at him closely for a moment longer before turning away and moving to a table covered with a spread of different foods and pitchers.

Aegon's curiosity seemed to get the better of him as he followed after the silver haired woman. As Elowen turned to catch her young son, she saw the boy reach up towards the eldest Princess. Rhaenys lifted the boy into her arms, softly smiling at Elowen as she handed a cracker to the toddler. Elowen nodded back and turned back to the man in front of her, trusting that no harm would befall her son.

"I congratulate you, Lord Lyonel." Lord Corlys spoke, changing the conversation. "I can think of no man more suited to be the Hand of the King."

"That is very kind of you to say, Lord Corlys. His grace has honored me with the post."

"Pity about Ser Otto." The Lord of Driftmark snidely remarked as he turned back to the King. His gaze rested sharply on Viserys, feeling like the threat of a dagger being held to his throat. 

Viserys avoided the man's knowing gaze, instead glancing around the hall. "Despite spending most of my days amidst the grandeur of the Red Keep, the halls of High Tide never fail to impress."

"It is a lovely hall, and an intriguing collection you have amassed." Elowen added, smiling at the Sea Snake. "Are all these items from your travels?"

"Yes," The man chuckled." You flatter me and my House, Your Graces, though I do wish we could meet under happier pretenses."

"How so?" Elowen asked, her right hand raising to press against her husband's back in comfort.

"Daemon's wife, the Lady Rhea Royce, has passed."

"A hunting mishap," Rhaenys added. "She was thrown from her horse. Her neck and skull both crushed in the fall."

"A most surprising end," Lord Corlys continued. "Lady Rhea's skill as both rider and hunter were well-known."

"The gods are cruel." Rhaenys muttered as she fed a slice of cheese to the young Prince.

"Indeed," Viserys turned to meet Elowen's eyes, both thinking the same thing. It was no coincidence that after being banished to the Vale Daemon's wife mysteriously died. "Lady Rhea was a fine woman and a good wife to my brother."

"Sad thing that she and daemon have no heirs to succeed her." Rhaenys moved from the table, as she joined her husband in front of the Driftwood throne she passed Aegon back to Elowen. The young boy easily settled into familiar arms. "She stood to inherit Runestone."

"Mayhaps we can turn toward happier pursuits." Viserys spoke, wanting to speak of his reason for journeying to Driftmark already.

"What did you have in mind, Your Grace?" Lord Corlys asked, his dark eyes lit up with curiosity.

"I wish to propose a marriage between your son, Ser Laenor, and my daughter and heir, the Princess Rhaenyra. It's long past time our houses were united in blood. The last pillars of old Valyria."

"You honor both me and my house, Your Grace." Corlys briefly glanced at his wife before turning back to the King. "There are certain details I wish clarified before the Princess Rhaenys and I could accept this most generous proposal"

"What details could you need clarified?" Elowen asked.

"We would like to know how the succession will be handled." Everyone in the room looked to where young Aegon rested against his mother's chest..

"Rhaenyra is my heir." Viserys spoke, stepping in front of his wife and young child. "Upon my death my throne and my titles will pass to her. She and Ser Laenor's firstborn child, regardless of gender, will inherit the Iron Throne from her."

"Can I presume that, in keeping with Westerosi tradition," Corlys seemed almost eager as he spoke the words. "Their children would take their father's name? That they would be born Velaryons?"

"Surely, Lord Corlys, you are not proposing the Targaryen Dynasty end with my daughter simply because she is a woman?"

"I only seek clarity, Your Grace."  At this, Viserys broke into a coughing fit, his body shook as the air was forcibly expelled from his lungs. Elowen pressed closer to her husband's side and began rubbing his back in hopes it would ease the fit. "Might I have a chair brought in for you?"

"I do- I do not require a chair." The coughing ceased and Viserys leant into his wife for a moment before standing up straight again. "Upon their birth, Ser Laenor and Rhaenyra's children shall take their father's name, Velaryon in keeping with our traditions, However at such time when their first born ascends the Iron Throne, he or she will do so bearing the name Targaryen. Dragons will rule the Seven Kingdoms for the next hundred years, just as they did the last."

Silence filled the room as Elowen and Viserys awaited Lord Corlys and Princess Rhaenys' decision. "This is an Equitable compromise."

"Now if there's nothing further." Viserys turned from his cousin and her husband, wanting to return back to the Red Keep as soon as possible.

As Lord Lyonel followed after his King, Elowen stayed where she stood. "You are welcome in King's Landing at any time. It has been so long since you have graced the halls, I would very much like for you to visit."

Rhaenys nodded, smiling at the woman her cousin had chosen. She could see the love clear as day between the two. "It is a short flight and one Meleys has not made in some time."

Elowen returned the smile before she turned from the two, following after Viserys.

AN: Kinda want Elowen and Rhaenys to become besties

-ELE

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24.5K 743 13
Lord Otto Hightower was not stupid, he knew that his daughter Allicent becoming queen was only the first step to making sure his blood sat on the iro...
21.5K 498 15
𝐖𝐞 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐦𝐚𝐝𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐅𝐈𝐑𝐄 𝐖𝐞 𝐰𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐦𝐞𝐚𝐧𝐭 𝐭𝐨 𝐁𝐔𝐑𝐍 sorry for not adding this sooner but SLOW BURN Delusional fanon Aegon Targa...
151K 3.7K 45
Before the union of Rhaenyra with Ser Laenor Velaryon, an event etched forever in memory took place when Daemon claimed Rhaenyra's innocence in the h...
19.6K 562 12
King Viserys Targaryen and Queen Aemma Arryn are expecting another child - possibly a new heir to the Iron Throne. After all, after the birth of two...