The Loving Silence

By AashesX

It's never easy being an artist. No matter what, you have to create. But Rue wouldn't trade it for anything i... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50 pt 1

Chapter 50 pt 2

178 4 4
By AashesX

Life as a parent was treating Rue well. Silas and Revel had cried a lot in the beginning, once they realised their mother wasn't coming home for a long time. But they were used to her being away at work, so they adapted well. They comforted each other and spoke to each other in their own way. They held hands a lot, and Rue found that adorable. They truly were a set. There was a bond between them that anyone could see.

The two took to Rue quickly and he wondered sometimes if it was because their mother and he are siblings. Perhaps there was something between siblings that adults could not see, but children could.

Rebecca continued to fight the cancer hard, showing it who's boss, and for the time being, it was running for the hills. Rue had taken Mica and James to see her, and though she was embarrassed, they wouldn't hear of it. They took to her quickly and they adored little Silas and Revel. "Two more grandchildren and another daughter," Mica had said at the end of their first meeting. "We'll be coming here as often as we can."

Later on, other members of the Aphelions had come to see her as well. As often as she had the energy to receive them, there were always people willing to come visit her.

She was growing stronger every day, and she fought hard because now she had hope. Her children were safe and extremely well looked after. She suspected they might become a little spoiled, but then again, there is no way a child can be spoiled with love. They have an endless capacity to receive it, and it is one of their most basic needs.

Her children were with family and no one would be coming to say she was an unfit mother and take them away. She had a brother and that was a blessing in and of itself. Thanks to him, her life was saved. She was saved because her soul was.

She now has a home to come back to, and a job waiting for her, whenever she was able to work again. She could choose to work with Rue, at his apartment building, at Freedom or in the restaurant with Rick and Arlo. She was sure there was little Rue would not do for her, and she knew she would never be able to repay him. But they were family now, and in real families, you help each other out.

Rebecca's life changed when she got the letter from Rue, and she marvelled at all that she had been blessed with since. The future was bright and she had so much to live for. Her dark night of the soul turned out to be, not the ending she thought, but the beginning of a life as bright as the sun itself.

——

Arlo and Rue met up often, and one day, he came over with a surprise. Penelope had phoned him and said it was time to get Rue's creation back to him. Both because they needed to prepare for the imminent birth, and because it had been waiting long enough. When he brought Rue back his precious one, beautifully and lovingly mended with gold, Rue had been speechless. He had been so moved by his actions and Arlo's apology, that he agreed to let him take him out on a proper date.

Arlo honoured Rue's feelings of not feeling ready for him or for anything, with all that had happened, and was actually very happy to take things slow. He had always dreamed of a slow romance. To be able to court someone and take his time showing them how precious they are. Too much in life is done in haste. We expect everything to be done yesterday. And love was an everyday miracle that in his humble opinion, should never be rushed. He brought Rue flowers often. Every week he left a handwritten letter in his mailbox. And lately, he kissed his cheek or his hand whenever they met.

On that first date, he had arranged a picnic fit for kings. He had taken Rue to a beach where they could watch the sun setting and the stars shine. He brought thermal blankets with them to sit on, ingredients for cocoa with marshmallows to drink, and even some hot water bottles to make sure they didn't get cold. He built them a fire so that their cocoa would be warm enough.

He had no expectations. He was just glad, so very glad, to get to spend time with Rue. That Rue was there with him was a gift to him, and to get to know him, spend time with him, was already more than he ever thought possible.

Rue had been nervous about the date, especially since the only one he's been on was the one he'd had with Luca. But this was different. When Arlo took his hand to help him down the stoney path to the beach, his skin felt warm and tingly. He found himself to be almost disappointed when Arlo let go.

The little things Arlo did without thinking did not go unnoticed. In fact, they made him feel safe, treasured. When they sat down, he layed out the blankets and had Rue sit down first. He wrapped a warm blanket around him and leaned a hot water bottle against his back because didn't want him to catch a cold. He made him hot cocoa over the fire from real chocolate. He gave Rue as many marshmallows as he wanted, after he let him try them for the first time. The tasted like sweet clouds. And he told him to blow on the cocoa before he drank it, because it was hot. The actions were small, but they showed Rue the kindness that Arlo always showed the people in his life. And Rue was now one of them.

Arlo was always caring. Always kind. He would always help someone else if he could. And on that date, Rue found out that he needn't worry about Arlo. He would be safe with him. And the nerves he felt, the way his heart jumpstarted whenever Arlo looked at him, the way he lost his words - none of that happened because he felt unsafe. It was because he liked him, though it would be some time before he realised it, or could admit it to himself. Nevertheless, he was actually enjoying himself.

Later when he was home once more, Rue realised something. Not once during their date had he thought about the past, about what he'd been through. He had not had a single negative thought. His body and mind had lived in the moment and when it was over, he found his heart fluttered whenever he thought about that night.

Arlo came by often to see him and the children as well. They went on dates every week after that. Sometimes they took the children with them, and sometimes one of their friends watched them for him. Arlo took great care to plan their dates, to find new experiences for them. And for the kids, if it was a date that included them.

It wasn't until Rick had pointed it out one day, that Rue realised something. He had been smiling to himself. The very thought of Arlo made him smile. It was not a conscious act, but a result of his soul and heart agreeing with Arlo's presence in his life. His heart felt lighter every day and he found that he didn't worry as much. He didn't let the investigations and that whole mess bother him anymore. Life was too short and nothing would come from him losing sleep over things he could do nothing about.

——

Rue had learned so much about love and the many forms it takes on. He once greatly feared that his best friend's family expanding meant he had lost his place. That his friend would no longer have room for him in his life and that he would be a burden. He was wrong. It was in fact the complete opposite. Rick and Penelope love him, and having a child only meant their hearts would grow bigger and more loving. Their family would keep changing and expanding, as most families do, but to them, Rue would not and could not be replaced. He was the foundation in their lives, and they found that without him, it felt like the world was crumbling around them. Their happiness was something they wanted Rue to be part of. He was an instrumental part of it, and without him, nothing felt the same. They wanted him there with them every step of the way. They didn't want just anyone; they wanted him. But it wasn't enough just thinking it or feeling it. Rick and Penelope learned they to say it, show it. If offering nothing up, then there was no way for the other person to know how they felt.

By learning to be vocal about their feelings, however small, they grew closer. Their bonds forged. They made sure to make time for each other. Rick and Penelope knew too much had gone unsaid for too long, and there was much about Rue they would never understand. They were too different. He had seen, felt and otherwise experienced things they could scarcely imagine.

The things most take for granted in life, Rue had gone without for most of his. Each memory, each experience had left a mark on him, some clear from the world to see, and some, like scars on his soul. But each one was very real, and like any scar, it was not possible to erase it. Only time could make it fade.

He had fears they would never understand, for they had been blessed in life. They knew nothing of homelessness, of true hunger, of abuse. Their parents had loved them and they had been cherished, like every child should be. But not all children are wanted. Rue had been, by his mother, but she was taken from him. His great aunt, his grandfather, the people he lived with the longest thought him to be a stain on their existence. A stain that could not be erased no matter how hard they tried. And they tried hard. To be seen as such, to be treated that way, was not something a person could forget.

Only time would show what they could do for him, how they could help. For now, they would do what they could. Be more attentive, listen more, be more conscious about what they say and how they act, and be as patient as they can be. Neither of them was willing to let him go.

When baby Raymond was born, they took some time for themselves for a while, and only Rue could visit. Rick took time off work and Bo covered for him. Their little boy was born with Down's syndrome. They had never told anyone, but they had taken a test during pregnancy and it had said there was a slightly raised risk of the child being born like that. Penelope had an aunt with Down's syndrome, so she did know a little about it. Even so, it was a lot to take in and they needed time to themselves, to be in their own bubble, like any family with a newborn does.

Rue thought he was the sweetest little boy, so adorable his heart hurt. When Rick and Penelope told him only he could visit, he felt honoured and at the same time, he felt ashamed. Honoured by them and their love for him. But ashamed that he had not seen their love. For such a long time, he had not been able to see how important he was to them.

It wasn't until after his stay in the hospital, when Rick had sat with him all night, and they had taken him home to their own place so he could recover, that he saw how much they cared. It was no act. They loved him. Before they sat down to talk that day, Rue had not realised to the extent that his disappearence had affected them, how hurt and scared they'd been. It was now a trauma they carried with them. He knew he had caused it, that he'd hurt them, and he would always carry that shame with him. But there was nothing that could be done to change the past.

When he left, he was broken, lost and alone. He could not have imagined anyone would bat an eyelash if he left. In his mind, no one would ever want him, and he thought no one would be affected in the slightest if he disappeared completely. That it mattered to no one if he lived or died.

He knows better now. He knows he is loved. It still boggles his mind, but he is learning to see his worth. To see that he has a worth. He is learning to love himself, and that is the greatest love of all.

Rue doesn't want his precious niece and nephew to grow up thinking about themselves the way he had grown up thinking about himself. He wants them to know how important, how capable and how loved they were. That is why he speaks to them as people, individuals. Young souls. He is honest and he is kind. Every moment he spends with them, he makes them the center of his world. He asks them questions, answers theirs and he listens. He regularly arranges play dates with Mica's grandchildren, and when he is old enough, he'll do so with little Raymond as well.

With Rue in their life, the children are never lonely or without friends. Every interest they have, he supports and acknowledges.

The day Rebecca was admitted to the hospital, he swore he would always cheer them on, that he would be whoever they needed and give them the start in life that he never had.

It was not in vain. The two positively adores their uncle and his actions always makes them feel important. Because he made sure of it, Silas and Revel will never ever have cause to doubt their own self-worth.

---

It was faith. Rue finally received the rights to handle Johnna's remains and the permit to have his mother's remains moved so that he could arrange a joint funeral for them both. He was so very glad. At last he would be able to give them the send off they deserved. He would have somewhere he could always go and talk to them. He had ordered the tombstones and bought the lot where they would lie.

Rue arranged for the funeral to be on Johnna's birthday. Everyone was coming. All of the Aphelions would be there, children,
grandchildren and great grandchildren alike. Marcus would come with Eilish. Jules would be driving himself, Luca, Lune and Bly there. Rick, Penelope would be there with baby Raymond. Elena would come with Jeremiah. Everyone at the restaurant were driving there together, except for Arlo who would be going with Rue and the kids.

They were blessed with a beautifully sunny and warm spring day. Snow drops and tulips were beginning to emerge, even though snow still covered much of the ground. They decided against a priest. Instead Rue had hired a shaman to perform a ceremony to cleanse his mother's and grandmother's souls from their trauma, and his own from generational trauma. The shaman would help them on their way, clear up the fog, light up the darkness and make sure they could rest in peace.

After that they took turns to say a few words. When it was Rue's turn, he had decided to read a poem.

After the ceremony, they left gifts and offerings over the grave. They arranged the celebration all around it, as theirs was the only grave there on the hill. According to the person who sold it to him, it was a spot that was sunny almost year round. His mother and grandmother had spent enough time in darkness, that it made it an easy decision for Rue.

Everyone ate, danced and celebrated for hours. Rue wanted their funeral be a happy one, and he wanted it to be charged with so much happiness and loving energy that they could feel it from beyond.

By the time the sun was beginning to set, everyone just sat next to each other, held each other, leaned on each other. They all felt blessed to be alive, humbled by the day's event and grateful their own lives were filled with so much love. The children slept in their arms. Their family and loved ones were all close by. With love and gratitude in their hearts, delicious food in their bellies they raised their glasses to toast to life. Their eyes met and they smiled. But no one said a word. Only the gentle breeze could be heard, as it made the leaves dance.

There was a certain serenity that shrouded the place, a calm, like the snow-covered plains in the middle of winter.

Rue's eyes were drawn to a bench just below a cherry tree in the distance. There, on that bench, he saw two women sitting and holding hands. His eyes welled up when he saw their faces. His mother and grandmother were sitting side by side, hands joined. They were both smiling at him and he heard their thank you's like whispers in the wind. He lowered his head and laid his hands on his heart.

"Rue?" Luca's voice called behind him.

"Hm?" He turned to face Luca. Luca looked at him a little funny, but Rue was distracted enough not to notice.

Rue suddenly felt warm, almost as if he was being embraced. He quickly turned his eyes back to the bench. It was now empty.

He never told anyone what he had seen that day. Seeing them at peace, seeing their hands joined, it was a sight he would always carry with him in his heart of hearts. A memory that was his and his alone.

"I have a surprise for you," Luca said. "There is someone here I want you to meet."

Rue didn't believe his eyes. Was this real? There before him stood a woman that could have easily been mistaken for his mother's twin, only she was older than his mother had gotten the chance to be. What was going on?

"This is your aunt Lucinne, Rue. She came here to see you. We have been writing to each other for a few weeks now, and we managed to arrange for her to come here today."

Rue was stunned and he didn't know what to say.

"I'll let you two talk," Luca said and left with a smile.

Talk. Of course, he's right, they should talk. But what would he say?

"Hello."

Even her voice sounded like hers.

His eyes welled up and the lump in his throat grew. He gave her a wave for he couldn't manage to get a single word out.

"Do I look that much like your mother?"

He nodded and a few tears escaped.

"When your friend wrote to me, I didn't know what to think. I had never been able to find out anything about my birth parents or where I had come from. I had given up and put it  behind me. I wasn't sure the letter was sincere, but I had to find out. And so I wrote back. We continued to write and exchange information. And now here I am." She smiled wide.

"May I give you a hug?" He finally managed to say.

"Please do." She smiled so her eyes crinkled. It was as if he caught a glimpse of the future his mother should've had, what she might've looked like.

He approached her slowly and opened his arms. Ever so gently, almost as though he was scared she would disappear, he wrapped his arms around her and held her close.

They stood like that for a long time, neither willing to let go. When they did, he took her hands in his. He felt at peace.

He felt a ring on one of her fingers. He looked down and went completely cold. Memories flooded back one by one and his heart was threatening to break.

"What's wrong?" She asked.

"That ring... where did you get it?"

"It was sent to me last year. I thought it was a little strange, but there was a note. It said that the ring had belonged to my father. There was no return address."

Rue stumbled and she helped him sit down. "Why are you wearing it?"

"It's a beautiful ring, I suppose. I have always wanted to know more, to connect with my birth parents. It was all I had, and it offered me some small way to connect when I wore it. Why?"

"I know whose ring that is. And that means I know who your father is."

Her fingers tightened around his. "Tell me. Who is he? Is he alive?"

"Is everything okay?" Arlo asked with a concerned expression on his face. He had seen Rue stumble and had seen he was with someone he had never seen before. Someone who hadn't been at the funeral.

Rue moved his hands from hers and leaned his head against Arlo's chest. "Look. Look at her ring."

Arlo frowned and held a protective arm around Rue as Lucinne showed him her hand. His eyes widened and his grip tightened around Rue. "Is that...?"

"It's his ring. She's his child. He was the reason she was locked up in Fallen. Jude Wry was the reason my grandmother was tortured until her death."

"What?" Her eyes widened and welled up with tears. "Your mother and I shared the same father?"

She tore off the ring and threw it to the ground. "Why? Why would he send it to me? Did he know about me all along?"

"It must have been shortly before they died, him and Kayla." Arlo said and Rue nodded.

She picked up the ring and looked at it with disgust. "To think I have been wearing it for months, keeping him with me." She looked nauseated.

"I am going to pawn it. Whatever I get for it will go to that project of yours. Freedom, I do believe it was called. It's the least the bastard could do."

Rue turned back to her but kept Arlo close, taking his hand for comfort. "Good for you. While we are on the topic, I think you should know something. During the investigation of Fallen, though it is far from over, one of its benefactors and main financial supporters were found. The Wry's. His family had supported it since it was established. It explains why Johnna's parents and his parents knew of the place. And why they saw to it that Johnna was locked up there. I don't think Jude had any part in that though. He might not have found out about you until years later, when hers or his parents died."

She closed her eyes. "I know I wished to know more about my past, my birth family, but I never expected this. It hardly seems real, such evil."

She shook her head. "I have learned enough about them to be glad that man, my aunt and grandparents are all dead. I might have killed them had we met. I am in no way religious, but I find I almost hope hell exists now. For they all deserve an eternity in hell for what they did."

"I agree. But my grandmother and mother are at peace. Their final resting place is here. Let's not give anymore of our energy to the Wry's. They do not deserve it. This should be a happy day."

"Yes, let's enjoy ourselves, enough for my mum and sister as well. It was a blessing we found each other, you and I."

"Let's toast to that."

"I'll join you, if I may," Elena said and brought a few glasses and one of the bottles of champagne.

"The more the merrier,"Arlo told her cheerfully.

——

When it was too dark to see, they lit their lanterns and raised them to the sky. After watching them for a few minutes, they packed up their things. They all kissed and hugged each other goodbye and Rue thanked them all for coming. Those with children carried them in their arms. Arlo carried Revel and Rue carried Silas to the car.

With the children fast asleep in their seats in the backseat, they drove home. Rue looked back at the little ones and then he looked at Arlo by his side and took his hand. There was no need for words. They shared a loving silence, and it said it all. That night Arlo went back with them to Rue's apartment, and there he remained.

——

At long last, Rue was at peace.

From Mica and James he had learned that there were many kinds of families, and that Rue could be part of one once more. Mica also taught him not to fear or reject an opportunity to let your family grow, as families are made to do so.

From Luca he learned to love, and not to fear letting someone get close to him. He showed Rue that he could be intimate and affectionate with someone, both physically and emotionally. He was capable of that, and deserving of the gifts that came with it, like we all are.

From Arlo... Arlo showed Rue that he was someone special, and not someone's mistake. That the voices in his head, that had emerged after years of abuse, were lying to him. The horrible things they whispered to him about himself were wrong. Rue was a good man and he was deserving of love, happiness and joy. Arlo showed him he could give him all three.

There were so many people in his life that were important to him now, so many that he loved and who loved him. He was almost a parent to his niece and nephew, and an uncle to many children. To Rick's son Raymond, Drew's daughter Harper and all of the other children in the Aphelion family. He had become great friends with everyone from the restaurant, and he was able to talk to them all comfortably. In sign language as well as out loud.

His apartment building was full of happy tenants, and more stood in line to move in if one of the current tenants ever wished to move. One apartment had been set aside for his sister and when she finished her last round of chemo, she would be moving in. Until then, he looked after the twins full-time.

Freedom was a great success. Everyone who lived at The Place sadly did not take the chance to move into Freedom. But most of them did, and more followed. Their survival gardens and their food gardens were so successful that come next spring, they would begin to hold classes and generate income.

Many of the tenants had interests they wanted to pursue and they had wanted to study for so long, only they'd never had the opportunity. Rue gave them that. Those who had not finished the basic years of school first had to take courses to make up for that. But once they had, they were free to study something they chose to. Something that would benefit their eco community and generate income as well at some point. Unlike the school system, Rue didn't judge a fish off of their ability to climb a tree. He made sure each person got to learn what they wanted in a way that they were able to learn. Individual educational plans for all. They all helped esch other out. If someone didn't understand something, the others took the time to explain and teach them until they did.

Marcus and Bly had started to flip furniture and other things to generate income, and because they enjoyed it. They were both strong and handy with tools. First they'd pick up things that others had wanted to let go of but couldn't dispose of themselves. Then they'd turn them into what they could sell, give them new life, and sell them. They were doing rather well.

The younger children were homeschooled. Homelessness can come to anyone, and that meant Freedom had more than enough types of people who could teach the children anything they needed to learn.

The Freedom community was excellent at living without costs, making do with what they had, turning waste into profit and make what they needed from what others let go of. They were survivors that now got by without jobs, without rent or bills, and still ate healthy organic food, had a warm bed to sleep in at night and money to that they earned in other ways.

Moving to Freedom had taught them that life could be so much more than what they used to have, and that no matter what downfalls happened to society, they would be fine. They would make it.

The Place had hardened them and helped them survive, but Freedom had healed them and helped them find a way to truly live and feel alive.

That was true for Rue as well.

From not having any family to speak of, and carrying with him a loneliness so great it felt like quicksand within, he was now part of more than one family. They were all different and equally precious and beloved to him. Their homes had now become his, and he would forever have a seat at their tables. While he would never forget his past, never forget how terrifying it had been to belong nowhere and to no one, to be alone in a world that felt infinitely vast, he knew now that he would never have to feel that way again. And for that he was more grateful than he had words to express.

Rue had found where he belonged, and indeed who he belonged with. He was loved just as he is, and no one would ever call him a mistake ever again. He was a gift.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3K 16 98
Can be read as a stand-alone. Jules never knew who she was. She never had time to figure out who she was. After an incident that happened her colleg...
988K 31.5K 80
Being alone? Check. Being afraid? Check. Being abused? Check times 3. Honestly, my life wasn't this bad before, not until I ended in foster care... S...
616K 27K 109
Paris Wills is a dreamer. His father always said he got it from his mom, an artist who was unlike any other. Her virtue was painting, and Paris' is p...