Twins of Empire

By _AGHarper

Remember that story, Twins of Empire? Shes back! Meet, Mariah, a.k.a., Mercedes Lyon ⁣ The twin of Hakeem Ly... More

NOTE
COVER & CAST
Empire
Legend Carter
The Lioness Returns
Investor Brunch & Comfort Home
Healing Old Wounds
The Unthinkable Moment
Let The War Begin
The Outspoken King
Kid Fo-Fo
Death Washing Up
No Apologies
Dont Walk Away From Me
Where Is Your Sister?
Whats Getting Into Her?
Family Dinner
False Imposition
A Favor For Titan
Buy A Heart
Promises
Thuggin Days
Dangerous Bonds
Mariah & Mercedes
Hidden Pain
Tears of a Lyon
Engagements & Twin Loyalty
The Carters Prayer
A Mothers Heart & Fathers Eyes
Who Are You Running From?
Our Dancing Days
Bonds Over Anything
A Lyons Secret
The Lyon's Roar
The Oath of a Lyon
Your Crossing a Line
The White Party & Its Demons

Prince vs Princess

2.4K 103 54
By _AGHarper

Episode 2-The Outspoken King

Mercedes walked out from the bathroom connected to her room.

Dressed in night shorts and tank top.
A satin red bonnet on to protect her hair—she pats her face with a towel.

Picking up song book, she laid on the couch, propping her feet up on the table in front of her.

Opening it up, she slides out the pen humming to herself.

"Dancing with the devil...." Mercedes sings low. "Out of control. Almost made it to heaven, it was closer than you know...."

Writing it down, she heard the tune so clearly.

"Playing with the enemy. Gambling with my soul..."

A few tears slipped out when she thought about her uncle. Using the back of her wrist, she removed them and sniffles up the rest, still humming the song.
Normally she would call him so he could hear the new tune she had or text it to him. But even if she did.....he'd never answer.

A knock on the door made her look up.

"Come in."

Lucious walked inside, still dressed from work. "Baby girl, I got some mail for you. Juanita got it mixed up with mine." He waved it.

Mercedes looks back and reaches. "Oh, thank you." She takes it from him. "I been waiting on something."

"A check?"

He motions to the chair, Mercedes moves her legs so he could sit.

"Haha, I'm not a fool. Called direct deposit."

Lucious chuckles. "Taught you well."

"Of course." Mercedes looks at him. "How you holding up?"

Lucious rubs his hands together, looking ahead. "You know me and your uncle were close. Hell without him and Carol, I don't know who would have helped me get through raising you."

"It takes a village." Mercedes smiles a bit. "I'm going to miss him."

"I know," Lucious nods. "Anika told me you don't want to perform anymore at Laviticus."

"Just don't feel right." Mercedes shrugs. "I'm not Hakeem."

"I know, do you think you would want to perform at his funeral?"

"Really?"

"Yeah, I was talking to Vernon about it." Lucious sits back. "Your uncle is one of the reasons you got your nickname. Remember that?"

"I remember." Mercedes smiles. "He asked what type of car I would be."

"Your crazy butt said a Charger because you be charged up." Lucious says making her laugh as he joined in. "Bunkie said you would be a Mercedes. High matience, untouchable, and spoiled."

"I see no lie." Mercedes shrugs to his chuckle. "After that I just stuck to it. That name just bought something different out of me, made me more confident. More powerful in who I am." A look down. "Mariah wouldn't have survived in Empire."

Lucious looks over when she said this, he nods. "So you became Mercedes?" A nod from her made his eyes soften a bit. She hated to know how much of him she was like but little did she know. "You know," he rubs his hands together. "Dwight didn't make it either."

Mercedes head tilts. "Who's Dwight?"

"Me," Lucious says, he saw the shocked look on her face as Mercedes looked at him like he was playing a joke. "I found my name when I was young, just like you. I knew that he wouldn't make it either so I had to become somebody that would."

"Lucious Lyon...." Mercedes smiles a bit.

"Nobody knows that, not even your mother."

"Why'd you share it with me?"

Lucious looks back to her. "You are your mothers daughter, you know that?" Mercedes nods. "Don't ever forget your mines to. Sometimes I have to reminded myself of that when I wonder about how you react to things. I got you away from the streets before they could ever do any damage to you. Apart me thinks I spoiled you pass rotten and you forget your butt is black. But that's your brothers." Mercedes smirks a bit. "You remember where you come from, and where your daddy came from."

"I know you think I kept going back to the projects because I like that life, and some of it is true." Mercedes shrugs. "I love seeing people down there. Being around my people, knowing that this where I get my soul from, my voice from. I dont have to be anybody but Mariah when I'm there. I also know that you can't rule the world when you're only being half smart. Business smart? Check. Street smart..."

Lucious nods. "Check."

Mercedes smiles. "Yeah."

"Going to promise your old man something?"

"Don't try to get me to sign something about not putting you in a home; that's my only leverage."

"Stop playing with me little girl."

Mercedes laughs. "What?"

Lucious whacked at her calf making her laugh again.

"That you keep your brothers together."

"Always."

"Alright. I'm going to let you get some rest." Lucious gets up. "Work on a song for the funeral for me. And just think about the show?"

"I will," Mercysighs.

"That's all I ask." Lucious points. "Would kiss the top of your head but you got that thing on."

"Called a bonnet. Don't act like half your girlfriends ain't wear this."

"Stop talking about your momma." He points back.
Mercedes laughs, shaking her head. The hand on her shoulder made her look up to her father. "Death ain't easy baby girl, but you got your family. Remember that."

"I know."

Lucious gives her a small smile before leaving out the room.

Mercedes sighs as she laid down.

Getting comfortable for a while, she found herself editing some of her lyrics for a few hours.

Hearing vibration go off, she looked at the table with her phone. Shaking her head, she ignores it and goes back to writing. It stopped for only a second before it started up again. Mercedes glares at it but ignored it once more. When it ceased for a while, she relaxed back but the vibrating started up again.

Snatching it up, she answered. "I didn't answer on the first ring or the second, what does that mean?"

"Yo, Mercedes it's Chicken,"

An instant eye roll. "Why do you have my number? That, that is the question. Im going to beat Hakeem-" Hearing commotion in the background made her pause. "What the hell is that?"

"That's your twin," Chicken said in a matter of fact. "He down here drunk and going off in this fancy ass place. They calling the police."

"Mother fu-"
Mercedes jumped up. "Chicken send me the address and do not let them take him."

"I-"

"Do what I say, I'll be down there as fast as I can. Don't you let them touch him,"

"Okay, okay." Chicken gives in. "Just hurry up."

Mercedes hangs up as she snatched her bonnet off letting her natural hair fall.

Dialing a number, she grabbed a pair of sweats.

"What's up?"

"I need your help,"

Outside....

Mercedes managed to sneak out the back only wearing a sweatshirt and pants with a pair of tennis.

Making her way to the gate, it opened up as a black Range Rover pulled up.

She shields her eyes from the bright headlights.

The passenger window rolled down, her eyes widened seeing Legend being the one driving.

"Oh hell no, I called Marquis."

Marquis peeked through from the backseat. "Im here."

"Why you bring him with you?"

Legend sighs with a smile as he simply unlocked the door and sat back.

"You the one who said you needed a ride. You know my mom is working at the hospital overnight. I had to call him."

Mercedes threw up a hand. "You couldn't just get a cab?"

"Mama you can stand out there and talk about why I'm here. Or be grateful and get in."

"Legend shut-"

"Mariah get in the damn car."

A roll of her eyes as she opened the door and jumped in.

"Don't enjoy this." She closed it shut.

Legend used one hand to back the truck up and pull off.

Mercedes hangs on from putting on her seat belt. "Hello?"

"What?"

"Slow down, damn."

"You fine."

"Why are you driving like your interracial butt the only one that matter in this vehicle?"

Marquis snorts. "He always drive like this."

"He the one who said you needed to be there in a hurry, I'm just doing what I was called for." He shrugs. "I could go slower."

Mercedes shakes her head. "Just get us there without killing me. Please?"

He smirks. "Yes mam."

Mercedes looked down at his outfit and saw he was in jeans and a simple t-shirt.

"Were you sleep?"

"Mhm."

Mercedes just stays quiet, looking off out the window.

"Thank you,"

"Your welcome."

A side eye as she rolls them. "I was talking to Marquis."

Legend chuckles and nods his head. "Okay."

Pulling up at the same time, she could see cop cars coming and it made her heart stop. All of them hopped out of the car and went inside were the commotion was going on.

"Um, mam," the worker stops her at the door. "you need a reservation and right now we can't take any."

"Yeah? I share blood with the reason you can't take any," The person blocked her way. "Does this job pay you enough for me to smack the hell out of you for not letting me in?" The man eyes widened. Mercedes pushed him aside. "Thought not."

"She normally nice." Marquis pats the man shoulder.

"Don't lie to him." Legend walked by.

Mercedes moves in when she hears her brothers voice. Flashing police lights outside got her attention.

"Oh, so the po po comin' to shoot me now?" Hakeem teased, dropping his jacket.

Legend brows raised. "Oh he is real bold."

"A bold dumb ass." Mercedes nods.

"No, man." His friends laughed with the others. "They gonna be up here in like ten seconds."

Hakeem get their attention. "All you white folk who voted for the first black president to make you feel good about not being racist..."

"Ah, hell." Mercedes rubs her temples.

"I mean he not wrong." Marquis added. A quick smack upside the head from Legend. "Ouch!" He hissed.

"The joke's on y'all 'cause Barack Obama ain't nothing but a sellout!"

"Oh damn." Marquis eyes widened.

"Okay, that's enough." Mercedes walked over, pushing people out her way. "Hakeem!"

He did a double take back. "Yo, Riah, what you doing here? Since y'all filming, here go the Princess of Empire, my little Twin." Hakeem put an arm around her. Mercedes frowns as she had to hold him up. "You actually coming out the house for once. Im proud of you."

"Hakeem, you are drunk," Mercedes tries to shake him off. "Come on so I can get you home."

"Im not drunk," Hakeem points to the people. "They in here acting like they ain't never seen a black man!" He holds out his arms. "Here I am!"

"No, they looking at you because the black man making a fool of himself!" Mercedes pushes down his arms, her nose scrunching up. "W-Why does it smell like piss?"

Chicken side eyes Hakeem. "Your twin um, he relieved himself over there on the floor.

Mercedes mouth dropped, slowly looking back to him. "Are you-" she smacked his neck. "serious!"

"Who you keep hitting?" Hakeem snaps.

"What is wrong with you?!"

"What is wrong with you?!" Hakeem shouted back. "I told you about coming in here at me acting like you somebody mother. And you not."

"You need to work out your momma issues," Mercedes points. "Cause I'm sick of this!"

"I'm sick of you!" Hakeem argued. People pointing their phones. "You just a spoiled bougie bitch with dad last name that think she better cause she the baby girl."

Mercedes slapped the side of his face.

"Oooh!" His friends reacted, getting quiet.

"Calling me out my name." Mercedes shakes her head. "Get your embarrassing ass in that car. Now."

"Or what." Hakeem glares.

"Boy I don't have time for this!" Mercedes grabbed him by his arm.

Hakeem was dragged along.

The police stopped them at the door.

"This the disturbance?" One of them asks.

"Yes, him right there." The waiter pointed.

"Shut yo snitching-ah" Hakeem was silenced by a grip to the back of his neck.

"No you shut up, don't say nothing." Mercedes held him. "That right to remain silent, you better use it."

Legend slides in. "Rowell," he nods to the cop. "What's going on?"

"Legend?" The man smiles. "How the hell you been brother?"

"Yo who this?" Hakeem asks.

Mercedes glares. "Hush."

"Im out so better," Legend shrugs.

"Man what is with this small talk." Hakeem voice raised.

Mercedes looks to the ceiling. "Hakeem I swear to God, shut up before they arrest me and not you."

Legend shakes his head. "Can you forgive him for this one?"

"I don't know man, a place like this?" The cop motioned around to all the people talking and pointing with their phones still out.

"Can we all talk outside real quick?" Legend asks.

The cop nodded.

One of them went to help with Hakeem.

"I got this." Mercedes stops him. "Don't touch my brother."

Hakeem looked him up and down. "You heard her. Back up, tight ass uniform." Mercedes pushed him out the door. "Ah! What you-"

"Shut up boy, shut up!" Mercedes dragged him out.

They all got outside the place where more people gathered around.

Legend watched Mercedes fuss at Hakeem friends calling them whatever name she had in her arsenal.

"That your girlfriend?" Rowell asks.

"That's a complicated topic." Legend nods, he looks back at him. "I know you got a job to do but the work is done with him being on the internet. She got it from here."

"Oh it's there, your boy went viral."

"Look it's a lot of family stuff and he thought he would find himself some answers in a bottle. We all been there." Legend shrugs. "Can it be a warning?"

A long look to the siblings. "For you, man? I got you." Rowell looks at Mercedes still yelling. "I also think she worse than any damn judge."

"Yeah, she is." Legend chuckles. "Thanks, man." He fives him up and gives him a brotherly hug. "Tell the wife and kids I said hello to."

"Only if you tell moms."

"Will do."

Rowell called his partner over with a hand.

Mercedes hands went to her hips as Hakeem leaned on the car.

"Why?" She shrugs, looking at Hakeem in defeat.

"What you mean, why?" Hakeem dragged out. "Don't act like you cool with Bunkie being dead."

"Im not okay with it, but I'm also not going to be out here embarrassing myself, dad, and the company." She shows him her phone. "You are viral every damn where right now. Do you know how much trouble your butt is going to be in?"

"Why don't I ask you for tips on how to get out of it?" Hakeem teased. "Dad don't hold you accountable for nothing. Untouchable is what we should call you. Now I got to perform with Kid Fo-Fo, cause of you."

"Im always held accountable!" Mercedes yelled at him. "For you, for myself, for everybody! There ain't a damn time I'm not held accountable for everybody damn problems in this family."

"Whatever."

"J-Just," Mercedes sighs and opens the door. "Get in the car, I'm taking you home."

"Im not getting in that car!" Hakeem shouts in her face.

"Whoa, whoa, Keem." Chicken tried to calm him down.

"What!" He shouts making them back up before snapping his attention back to a quiet Mercedes. "Not dealing with daddy's little girl here to save her trouble making twin. Get in whoever car this is and take your ass home." Mercedes gaze went blank as her head withdraws. "I don't want your help." Hakeem glares. "Now get the hell out of my face."

He pushed by her making her stumble.

"Yo," Legend went to speak to him.

Her mind snapped back. "Must have lost your damn-"

Mercedes grabs him back and knees him in the stomach making Hakeem drop to a knee.
Grabbing him up she pretty much halfway tossed him inside.

"Get your ass in that car!"

Hakeem coughed as he had to push the rest of himself inside with her practically trying to stuff him in

Mercedes got in the back and slammed the door.

"Don't you ever bump me! You dumb?!"

Marquis eyes widened. "Maybe he was safer with the cops."

"Come on fool." Legend motioned to the car.

Driving to Hakeem's condo was more of Mercedes cussing out Hakeem.

Marquis and Legend helped take him upstairs when they arrived.

Getting him to his room they gently drop him on the bed for her.

Mercedes threw the water bottle on the bed. "Drink some of it. I'll be back."

Walking out into the living room, she took of her sweatshirt with a sigh.

"Well this was a fun night." Marquis walked to the door. "Mercedes I'll be a little late tomorrow to catch up on some sleep."

"That's fine, thank you."

Marquis waved and headed out. "Leg, I'll be in the car watching my lids."

Legend smirks as he leans back against the pool table.

Mercedes throws her keys and shirt down. "Thank you."

"You not talking to Quis?" He asks. Mercedes gives him an eye making him laugh under his breath. "You're welcome, Mariah."

"Im sorry you had to wake up for my family mess."

"Don't worry about it." Legend shakes his head. "I almost thought you needed help with him."

"Nah, I know how to handle my brother." Mercedes folds her arms. "My dad is going to be beyond pissed."

"You leaving out in the middle of the night, or Hakeem?"

"Both." Mercedes rubs her temples. "I knew my uncle dying would cause a reaction but not this."

"I'm sorry about that to, Quis told me." He tells her. Mercedes shakes her head. "How you holding up?"

"The only way I can." Mercedes sighs. "Writing, singing."

"They told me you not performing."

"I don't think I can." Mercedes admits. "I wouldn't even have used my voice if my uncle didn't help me find it."

"Then I'm sure he would want you to use it." He folds his arms. "I can tell from the few times I met him that your uncle loved you. I doubt he would want you sitting this one out because of him. Hell if anything this the time he would want you to sing."

Mercedes nods, a slight smile. "Yeah he would." She looks back to the room. "Still, I got to be there for Hakeem."

"Who's going to be there for you?"

A roll of her eyes. "I'm not worried about me."

"I am." Legend answer made her stop and look back to him. "Need to take care of yourself."

"I will," Mercedes sighs. "But Hakeem, this and Bunkie. He got the cops called on him, what if I didn't get there? And it wasn't your friend? He could've been-"

"But he's not." Legend stops her. "Your a good sister."

"Don't let any of them except Jamal answer that." Mercedes scoffs. "You can go, I'll be here with him tonight. Call a car in the morning."

"You sure?"

"Yeah, you and Marquis go home." Mercedes nods to the door. "You've both done enough for me tonight."

"Alright." Legend walked over and handed her a piece of paper.

Mercedes takes it. "What's this?"

"I know that pride stops you, but if you ever need some help, Marquis isn't the only one you got to call on."

"Legend no." Mercedes shakes her head. "I don't want you to stop what you're doing to always come and help me."

"That's my choice to say yes or no," Legend says making her look up. "I thought we agreed no making decisions for the other anymore."

"Yeah, we did but-" Mercedes stops when he raised a brow up at her. This made her smile and give a nod. "You're right."

"I know."

Eyes going up to his, the smirk of him made her chuckle and look away.

"You never answered my question."

"About?"

"Going out with me one day,"

Mercedes sighs. "You know what? Ask me again at Laviticus opening."

"This you inviting me?"

"Kind of." Mercedes shrugs. "You actually will be coming with Marquis. So it's not fully me."

Legend laughs low. "Okay. I'll take that. Then I'll get an answer from you." Mercedes looks up at him, trying to hide her smile but gives in with a nod. "I respect it."
When she thought he would just brush by her, he pressed his lips against her forehead. "Good night, Mariah."

Taking it in for a moment she finally breathed. Her hand almost reached for him but she takes it back down and lets him go.

"Good night,"

A look over his shoulder, he gives his smirk that made her eyes roll instantly but that smile he loved showed a little bit.

"Get home safe."

Legend stops from closing the door. "Oh so we do care?"

Mercedes glares. "Legend."

A laugh from him as he closed the door.

Mercedes looks to the room of Hakeem when she heard something fall. A rush over, she walked inside to see his phone had dropped.

He tried to sit up.

"I got it." Mercedes picked it up and put it on the charger.

Hakeem drunk some more of the water, coughing through sips making him sit up.

A pat to his back as she takes it from him.

"I'm okay, I'm good." Hakeem waved it off. He picked up his bong off the floor.

"Give it." Mercedes snatched it and tossed it to the side. "You're under enough influence."

Hakeem shakes his head. "Damn head hurt."

"It should." Mercedes tells him. "Come on, get in bed."

"No hold on," he stops her from getting up. "I'm sorry, okay?"

Mercedes looks at him. "For what?"

"What I said to you earlier, I ain't mean joke of that."

"You sure?" Mercedes raised a brow. "Seemed like you wanted to get that off your chest for a good minute."

"I was just mad,"

"People say how they really feel when they are."

"Yeah but not like that." Hakeem says. "I ain't mean to call you out your name."

"That almost got you beat up."

"I know, and I'm really sorry." Hakeem eyes softened. "Foreal, Mariah, I didn't mean it."

"We were raised better, Keem."

"I know that."

"Do you?" Mercedes brows pull. "Cause embarrassing yourself and acting like an ass tonight. None of that is going to bring him back or change anything. I can't change our mom being back, and I can't change Bunkie being gone. I'm hurting to,"

Hakeem nodded, feeling himself on the verge of tears when Bunkie's name was brought back up.
Mercedes sighs and pulls him into a hug making him hug her waist.

"I'm sorry, Riah."

A shake of her head as she rested her chin on top of his head.

"I know." She rubs his arm. "I got you fool, I always got you..."

_____

That's it for this chapter!
Please be sure to fav and leave comments ❤️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23.6K 535 14
{BOOK 2} It's been months since Empire was taken away from Lucious Lyon and the rest of the Lyon family. Ne'veah Summers is determined to help the on...
2.4K 91 42
It's Game Time Bitches. You always did it for me but nothing good can come from loving you. Follow the tumultuous journey of Cookie, Lucious, and t...
91.6K 2.1K 30
Everyone knows that Lucious Lyon has 3 kids with Cookie Lyon. Hakeem, Jamal, & Andre, but no one in the public eye knows that Christina is actually L...
8.1K 1K 84
This story follows Alexandra Crane and Derek Jones of "STAR". From MY point of view. Alexandra, a budding interior designer and the privileged daugh...