Sailing With Destiny

By Bookworm_Tina

"Do you have any idea how damn frustrating you are?" He trapped me between him and the wall. Stubbornly, I l... More

Preface
Paris
Pont des Arts
Monte Carlo
Sumptuous Repast
BlackJack
St Tropez
Friend or Foe
Provoke
Morning Coffee
Portofino
Kayak
Kiss it Better
Tuscany
Off-route: London
Brotherly Things
The Marino's
Frustration
Corsica
Cherry
Ibiza
A Night in Ibiza
Costa Blanca
Cupcakes
CumpleaƱos
Fiesta
Old Wounds
Homebound
Vacation Over
New York
Bubbles and Beer
Petty
Class Day
Celebrate
Priorities
A Magical Day
I Hate My Birthday
Intern
Millie Bee
Summit
That Escalated
Ego
Liquid Courage
Predicament
Corporate Sexy
Dinner at Dad's 2.0
Anti-Mila
Voice of Reason
Fragile
Talk To Me
A Little Better
Not What You Need
Revelation And Secrets
Forgive Me?
Space
The Night Begins
Can The Night End Already
I don't Know You Anymore
He's Still My Friend
I Got You, Always
Wedding Date
Friends
The Calm
Before
The Storm
I Promise
I Hate Halloween
Best Friend or Girlfriend?
Decisions, Decisions
I Can't Live Without You
I Will Survive
Nostalgic
Holiday Surprises
I Trusted You
I Trusted You Too
A Mental Maze
Mark My Words
Call It Destiny

Always

851 39 35
By Bookworm_Tina

Mitchell's POV

With one hand in my pocket, I walked over to Kelsey and gestured for her to take a seat before I followed. I slipped my hand out of my pocket and ran it over my face. 

"I don't think you should've kicked your sister out," Kelsey said. 

"I didn't kick her out. It was more like a timeout," I clarified. "I didn't like how rude she was to you."

"She's on edge because she's worried about Mila. Your temper always gets the best of you."

I sighed and couldn't disagree with the latter part of her statement. I was furious on the inside but had to keep calm. 

"Let's not pretend this is the first time she's been rude," I pointed out. "During Thanksgiving, she pretended you weren't even at the table and every time you tried to talk to her, she ignored you."

"It's okay, I don't have any hard feelings," Kelsey smiled. "I don't expect everyone to like me."

"I don't see a reason for her to dislike you."

"Enough about me," Kelsey scooted a little closer and placed her hand on my thigh. "How are you? You were drugged, are you alright? Do you need to see a doctor? Have you eaten much since? And please tell me you've drunk enough water."

I ignored her hand on my thigh and half-grinned. "I'm alright, don't worry."

"No, but –"

I placed my hand over hers and reassured her with my eyes. "I'm fine, Kels. I promise."

Kelsey didn't look convinced. "Why do you worry so much?"

"Can you blame me? I've known you for years and you never admit when you're not fine."

I gently squeezed her hand to reassure her. "I feel a lot better now that you're here. I know it sounds selfish but I'm glad you're here instead of in London."

Kelsey's eyes softened and she smiled. "Of course. My friends needed me, I had to be here. Besides, other than memories, there's nothing left for me in London."

"Friends?" I stared at her seriously. "Do you really consider Mila as your friend?"

Kelsey's smile waned and she tried to slip her hand away, but I kept it in place. I kept my eyes planted on her and watched her unwind her shoulders and gulp. 

Kelsey nervously chuckled. "What do you mean?"

I blinked after a long moment and relaxed my shoulders. "I mean, you've easily become my best friend and after everything I've been through with Mila, I wondered if she's really someone you could call a friend."

Kelsey appeared as if a weight had been lifted off her shoulders. She let out a soft breath and shrugged. "I don't take sides because I believe both of you played your part in ruining what you had."

"But?" I searched her features and did my best to always maintain eye contact. 

"If your faults had to be put on a scale, I think Mila would win."

I sighed and sat back against the sofa. I removed my hand from Kelsey's and raked my fingers through my hair. "My mind has been everywhere, and I can't help but wonder if I'm attracted to trouble. I seem to fall for those who don't love me half as much as I do them."

"Hey now."

I looked Kelsey's way. "Am I wrong? Be honest, do you think Mila loved me a fraction as much as I loved her?"

Kelsey opened her mouth to respond but closed it before words left. She shrugged. "I don't know but she did love you."

"More than Leo?"

"I think that's a different kind of love."

I sat straight and scoffed. "I don't think so. I think she always had feelings for him. As the old saying goes, right person, wrong time."

Kelsey looked at me sympathetically. "Don't do this to yourself."

I took in a breath and nodded. "I won't, not anymore. Mila has been the reason for many ruined holidays, I won't let her ruin this one too." I gulped and ignored the thoughts that went through my head. "The more I think about what happened, a small part of me feels relieved."

"Relieved?"

"I know it sounds bad because I messed up but knowing that this is probably the end for real feels... liberating."

Kelsey looked taken aback for a second. "You right, it does sound bad."

I contemplated my words in my head for a moment. "Don't get me wrong, Mila will always mean something to me, but I think we're wrong for each other. One of the main reasons I broke up with her was because I felt suffocated in our relationship."

"Why haven't you mentioned all of this before?"

I shrugged. "I don't know, I think I've been in denial and blinded by my feelings. I wanted us to work so badly that I ignored my apprehensions and true feelings."

"You're allowed to put yourself first, but you realize you've hurt Mila in the process, right?"

I stared at Kelsey for a long moment and tried to understand what went through her mind. She came off as one of the most diplomatic and sincere people I'd ever met. She was fair and expressed her thoughts but never judged me and my decisions. 

"I know and I feel like shit for it but being together would only hurt us both in the long run," I replied. "Besides, I know if she meant as much to me as I thought she did, I would've never ended up in bed with someone else so soon after we broke up."

Kelsey's brows raised slightly. "So, you did sleep with her?"

"I don't know, I can't remember anything but there's no other explanation for what happened. Intoxicated or not, I still went ahead with it and never once thought of how Mila would feel."

"As your friend, I support whatever makes you happy but as Mila's friend, I feel obligated to punch you."

I chuckled. "Good thing you're my friend first and you like me a little better."

Kelsey pursed her lips and smiled. "I can't deny that but I do feel awful for Mila. She's been through a lot and doesn't deserve this."

Every time Mila's name was mentioned, it stirred an unsettling feeling in my gut. I pushed it aside and focused on the present. I lowered my gaze in shame. "I know and I'd deserve if she never wanted to see me again. I've done her wrong one too many times."

"I think you're in your feelings right now and need a breather from all of this. You don't mean half of what you're saying," Kelsey mused. 

"On the contrary, this is the most transparent I've ever been with myself." I looked into her eyes. "It was so easy for Mila to consider the worst and run away. Yet, not once have you questioned me – there's no judgment or doubt in your eyes."

Kelsey gulped and averted eye contact. "Yes, well, I'm your friend whereas Mila is, or rather was your girlfriend. She felt betrayed and acted in a way anyone in her situation would've."

I was confused by Kelsey. I didn't know if she was on my side or Mila's. On one hand, she supported me and on the other, it seemed she tried to push me toward Mila. 

"It all boils down to trust, Kels. This isn't the first time Mila hasn't trusted me. I agree, I'm most likely guilty this time but she's accused me of betraying her in the past too. She's never trusted me and when I think about it, she was probably waiting for this moment."

"Mitch..."

"I know I sound like the worst person in the world, but you don't know about half the shit I had to deal with," I sighed and shut my eyes for a second. 

I opened my eyes when I felt Kelsey's hand on mine. She looked at me sincerely and shifted a little closer. "I know enough to understand why you feel this way. I'm sorry that your feelings were always disregarded and I'm proud of you for choosing yourself for once."

"So, you don't think I'm a bad person?"

Kelsey shook her head. "The furthest from it."

"Not even if I'm a little relieved that Mila left the country and put some distance between us?"

"Not at all."

I caught Kelsey off guard and wrapped my arms around her. My hands instinctively paused before I touched her back. I ignored whatever righteousness I had and hugged her. "I don't know what I'd do without you, Kels."

Kelsey took a moment before she hugged me back. She caressed my back and wrapped her arms tightly around me. "As long as I have it my way, you won't have to find out."

"I wish I joined you in London instead of choosing to go to LA. At least I would've had a decent Christmas."

Kelsey pulled away and her eyes lit up. She took my hands in hers. "It's not too late. We can leave tomorrow and stay well into the new year."

I huffed and half grinned. "Tempting but my parents are on their way here as we speak."

"Spend today and tomorrow with them and we can leave later tomorrow night."

I pursed my lips and thought over her words. "I guess we could do that."

Kelsey smiled widely and I'd never seen her that happy. She was about to say something but her phone buzzed. She excused herself and checked the device. I watched her curiously as her smile dropped and the spark her eyes held dimmed. 

"Is everything alright?" I kept my eyes on her face. "You look like you just received some bad news."

Kelsey appeared distracted and forced herself to look at me. "Hmm?" She faked a grin and avoided eye contact. "It's just stupid family drama. One of my uncles is pissed that I spontaneously left."

Kelsey stood. "Excuse me for a minute."

Kelsey rushed off to another room and shut the door. Curiously, I stood and moved closer to the door, but the walls were thick, and she spoke in a hushed tone that I didn't hear anything. I grew more agitated and felt as if I ran in circles. 

Just then I saw the doorknob move and I quickly detoured to the kitchen that was nearby and opened the fridge. I pretended to search for something and made it as if I hadn't noticed Kelsey left the room. 

"I need to run a quick errand," Kelsey spoke. 

I looked away from the fridge and at her. "Now?"

She nodded and I noticed that she fiddled with her sleeves. "I need to meet my lawyer for something related to Dad's will."

"On Christmas Day?" I frowned. "Your lawyer is working today? And I thought the lawyer that handled your dad's will was in London."

Kelsey gulped and licked her lips. "More than one lawyer is handling it. You should know that the bigger the estate, the more complicated the legalities. Besides, this is for assets owned here in The United States. I just spoke to my lawyer and he said I could meet him."

I glanced at my watch, and it was almost six PM. "At this hour?"

Kelsey sighed impatiently. "I'm sorry Mitch. I'll be quick, I promise."

Kelsey rushed to the door, but I took quick strides and caught up with her. I gripped her wrist and turned her around. She looked angry for a second but quickly controlled her emotions. 

"The roads are slippery, let me drive you," I offered. 

"No!" Kelsey quickly composed herself and offered a small grin. "I mean, you should be here when your parents arrive, and you've got to make up with Kate. I'll take a cab."

"Are you sure?"

Kelsey nodded. "Hmm-mm."

I hesitated but tucked a strand of hair behind her ears. "Seeing that you've spent Thanksgiving with us, Mom won't want to start dinner without you so, make it quick."

"Just your mom?"

I grinned. "And maybe her son too."

Kelsey's cheeks were tinted pink, and she gave me a quick hug. "I won't be long, I promise."

I walked ahead, grabbed her coat, and helped her wear it. "See you soon." 

I waited a few minutes before I rushed to the sofa and picked up my phone. I opened the app that tracked my watch that I slipped into Kelsey's coat pocket. She was still on the sidewalk outside the building. 

My leg twitched impatiently, and my eyes were glued to the screen. I had to remind myself that I needed to be calm and patient if I intended to find Mila. I knew something was amiss when I read the text Mila sent Kelsey. For as long as I knew Mila, she never texted paragraphs or essays. Her texts sometimes came off as cold because of how minimal they were. 

The more times I read the text, certain words stood out to me. Mila used words like trapped, isolation, dark, cold, and scary place. She emphasized that she needed to get away and save herself. It wasn't a coincidence that she used all those words at once. Mila struggled to express her feelings with me, there was no way she could've been so open and vulnerable with Kelsey. 

The biggest clue was that she mentioned she was going to Spain to be with her grandparents. My mind might've been a mess, but I recalled her mentioning that she was to spend the holidays with her grandparents who traveled to see her. 

For the first time, it seemed Liza was played. Before Kelsey left for London, she wanted to have one drink together and insisted on pouring the drinks. It made more sense for Kelsey to drug me than Liza. I just didn't know why she did it.

I reached into my pocket and pulled out the gold charmed bracelet I found in Kelsey's pocket. Two little rubies shone under the light from the cherry charm. The second I saw the charm, I knew it belonged to Mila and that Kelsey did something bad to her. 

I wanted to shake Mila's whereabouts out of her but if Kelsey was able to fool me for months and pretended to be a friend, I knew she was smart. I needed to be smarter and play her at her own game if I intended on finding Mila unhurt. 

"Hold on, Baby," I whispered against the bracelet. "I'm coming to get you."

Once Kelsey was on the road, I grabbed my coat and left. On my way down, I sent my live location to the head of company security and told them to follow me. 

I'd never felt so much on edge since Mila got into an accident. I knew something was wrong the second Katie mentioned that Mila hadn't been heard from or seen since she left my place. It had been well over twenty-four hours and whatever Kelsey did to her, I hoped that Mila was fine. 

I kept my cool and tried not to assume the worst as I drove. I glanced between the road and my phone as Kelsey's location moved to Brooklyn. The route became familiar, and I realized that she was headed to the building construction site. 

The place was dangerous, it was nowhere near complete, and not too long ago, a wall collapsed. I tightened my hand around the steering wheel and ground my teeth together. If Kelsey or anyone harmed Mila in any way, I'd kill them. 

Kelsey's location stopped at the building. I was about ten minutes away and once her movement halted, I stepped on the gas. I grew more anxious and craved to see Mila more than anything. 

I didn't bother to lock the car once I reached and rushed inside. The building site was closed for the holidays and the emptiness made it eerie. I stepped over the rubble and had to crouch and duck a few times to avoid bumping into something. 

It was below freezing and felt colder once I stepped into the isolated building. I turned on my phone flashlight and only heard my racing heart and rubble beneath my shoes as I walked. I tried to listen out for voices but heard nothing. The building was ten stories, so Kelsey could've been anywhere. I climbed the stairs and stared at the screen where Kelsey's location appeared frozen. 

My security team texted and said they were almost there. I must've climbed five stories but there still wasn't a trace of Kelsey or Mila. 

Could Kelsey have caught up with me and led me here for no reason?

Just then I heard a loud bang. Fear, worry, and panic set in and I rushed toward the sound. It came from the floor I was on. I took hurried steps in that direction but all I saw was darkness and never-ending passageways. 

Just then I heard distant, muffled voices. I froze, shut my eyes, and tried to locate where the voices came from. It sounded as if they were in a closed room not far from me. I recalled the plans of the building and remembered a room on the fifth floor that was a large safe. 

It was pitch dark and other than the little flashlight on my phone, I had my instincts as a map. I followed the sound and hoped I was headed in the right direction. 

The sounds stopped for a long second and I came to a halt. My heart beat erratically in my chest and my breathing came rapidly. My throat felt dry, and I was scared that something bad had happened to Mila. Just then the voices sounded louder, and I heard Kelsey's voice. 

Hopeful, I rushed in that direction and entered a room filled with boxes. I had no idea what was in them, nor did I care. At the end of the room was a door that was halfway open with a glimmer of light shining through. 

"No!" I heard Mila's voice. 

I ran toward her and kicked the door open. There was a LED light that resembled a lantern on the floor and a man that forcefully pinned Mila to a chair. Kelsey, who stood in a corner immediately turned to me with a look of horror on her face. 

I didn't care for anything at that moment. I grabbed the man and punched him repeatedly in the jaw. Caught off guard, he lost his balance and toppled over. Mila, with her eyes half opened, looked exhausted and disorientated. 

"Mila." I grabbed her face and forced her to look at me. "Hey, hey, look at me."

Mila resisted and flinched but I held her firmly and stared into her tear-filled eyes. "It's okay, it's me. It's Mitch."

"M-Mitch?" 

I nodded and it hurt and made my blood boil to see her in such a bad state. "I'm here, Baby. You're safe, I got you."

Her sweater was ripped, and her skin felt like ice. I didn't have time to examine her but noticed some bruises. Her hands were tied, and she tried to tell me through sobs. 

"Shh," I removed my coat and covered her with it. "I'll get you out of –"

My sentence was abruptly cut off and the man I hit pulled me away. He threw me against a brick wall and I felt the impact on my back. My mind went blank for a few seconds and just as I was about to fight back, I felt a blow at the side of my face. 

Black dots danced in front of my eyes for a second and my face felt hot. The man hit me hard but I needed to collect myself for Mila. 

"Do not touch him!" Kelsey yelled. 

"But -"

"But nothing," Kelsey spoke between gritted teeth. "Deal with her, I'll handle him."

"Do not fucking touch her!" I bellowed and pushed the man off me. 

He was about to throw another punch, but I beat him to it. He fell on the floor, and I was blinded with rage. Mila was terrified and her torn sweater made me think the worst. I kicked him repeatedly over his torso and back. He struggled and cried in pain but I didn't care. I kicked his head, his shoulders, and his chest and felt some relief when I saw him bleed.

"Mitch, stop!" Kelsey gripped my arm. "You'll kill him."

"Then fucking die!" I kneeled, grabbed him off the ground, and punched his jaw a couple of times. 

"Stop!" Kelsey yelled but her voice wasn't as near anymore. I stopped mid-punch and turned my attention to Kelsey. 

"Stop," she said breathlessly. Kelsey gripped Mila with a broken steel rod in her other hand. "Or she'll pay."

Mila appeared semi-conscious but the rod that was so close to her head made me stop. I immediately dropped the man to the ground and was ready to kill Kelsey too. But I needed to be smart and calm, or Mila would've gotten hurt. 

With my hands out in a defensive way, I slowly approached Kelsey. "Let her go."

"I should let her go?" Kelsey scorned. "No, Mitch, that's what you need to do!" 

Perplexed, I frowned. "What?"

"What do you see in her huh?" Kelsey glared. "She's nothing but a pretty face. She doesn't appreciate or value you. You deserve so much more. You said so yourself, remember?"

I curled my hands into fists and it took every ounce of self-control not to reach over and push her aside. If Mila didn't appear so fragile, I would've taken the risk. 

"Just an hour ago you were ready to board a flight with me to get away from her. What changed?"

"I lied."

"Lied?" Kelsey's eyes softened a smidge. "You don't lie. You hate it." She gripped Mila tighter and glared at her with hatred. "Do you see what she's doing to you? She not only makes you miserable but makes you go against everything you believe in! She's toxic and doesn't deserve you!"

"I will lie a million times for her sake!" I snapped. "I will do anything for her!"

Kelsey scoffed and bitterly laughed under her breath. "You're pathetic. First with Liza and now with Mila."

"And you think I'd be better with you?" I stepped closer. "Huh? Do you think it would make me less pathetic if I went away with a fucking criminal like you?"

Kelsey appeared hurt and offended. "This isn't who I really am and you know that. As a friend, I only wanted to help and make you see how bad Mila is for you. But you refused to see it, so I was forced to do this."

"To drug me and Liza? To scheme and manipulate? To kidnap Mila and hurt her? Is this what a friend does?" I yelled. 

"All's fair in love and –"

If I wasn't so angry, I'd have been appalled and maybe scared of how Kelsey's mind worked. "You think you're helping me? No, all you've achieved from this is hatred. Standing here, looking at you, I don't think I've hated anyone as much."

"Let her go," I glanced at Mila and glared at Kelsey. "I won't ask again."

Kelsey's hitman or whoever the fuck he was, groaned and Kelsey glanced at him. By my bloody knuckles and his poor, semi-conscious, bloody state, it was evident she was alone in this fight. 

Kelsey let go of Mila and I stepped forward but froze when she gripped the steel rod with both hands tightly and pulled back. She got into a position to hit Mila on the head. I glanced between the rod and Mila in panic and had to risk it. I ran forward and stood in front of Mila. I wrapped my arms tightly around her and felt a shockwave of pain in my back. The sound of metal against my back echoed loudly in the cold room and the physical pain I felt was outweighed by relief that Mila was safe. 

"Mitch!" Kelsey dropped the rod on the floor. 

She tried to pull me away from Mila, but I refused to let go. Kelsey walked around and looked at me with tears in her eyes. "I'm so sorry. Why did you get in the way? What is wrong with you?"

"I told you," I looked her straight in the eye. "I love her more than you can imagine and will do anything for her."

Tears rolled down her cheeks and she took a step back. "You really do love her?"

"Mr. Clarke?" Finally, security arrived and with them, I heard police sirens. 

"Take her away," I flicked my index finger at Kelsey. 

I turned all my attention to Mila. She felt almost limp in my arms and hoarsely muttered my name. Her hands were still tied. I kissed the top of her head and reluctantly let go of her before I undid the rope that was wrapped tightly around her bruised wrists. 

"Mitch?" Mila called. 

I kneeled beside her on the chair and pulled my coat in close to keep her warm. Mila cried and I held her face and wiped away her tears. "Shh, it's all over. You're safe."

"I knew you'd find me," she muttered between sobs. 

"Always, Baby."

I heard more footsteps and when I glanced over, Kelsey, with her head down, cooperated with the police that arrived and allowed them to cuff her. 

"Mitchy?"

Katie ran into the room and my parents followed. I stood and my sister ran into me. She hugged me tightly and sighed in relief. "Thank God you're okay."

I met Mom's worried eyes and assured her I was fine. I wrapped one arm around Katie and gestured to Mila. "Mom, please –"

I didn't have to complete my sentence, Mom already rushed to Mila's side. Katie let go of me and was at Mila's side in an instant. She gently took Mila's hands in hers and rubbed over them to warm her up. Katie muttered softly that Mila was going to be alright and tried to console her. 

Dad stood at my side, placed a hand on my shoulder, and eventually gave me a half hug. He tapped my back. I flinched and knew that after being hit against the wall and with a steel rod, I was going to feel it in the morning. 

Dad noticed and quickly retracted his hand. "I'm proud of you kid but next time, call for backup, and don't try to get yourself killed."

"I did but they were late," I dryly responded. "I couldn't wait for them. If I was a minute later, I don't know what they would've done to Mila."

"We need to get Mila to the hospital ASAP," Mom urgently spoke. "Let's go, now!"

Scared and worried, I stepped closer to Mom. "What's wrong? Is she going to be alright?"

"She will if we take her to the hospital. She has a head injury, hypothermia and I suspect some bruised ribs."

All of that sounded bad, especially the head injury. Mila was delirious and confused too. I noticed she couldn't look straight into my eyes and that got me even more worried. 

I gripped Mom's forearm. "Mom is it ser-"

"Honey, we can talk on the way," Mom gently spoke. "Mila and you need proper medical care right now."

"I'm fine."

Mom glanced at my bloody knuckles. "No, you're not. Let's go."

I didn't want to waste time and argue. I rushed to Mila and was ready to lift her in my arms but my back hurt a lot. I ignored the sharp pain and focused on her. But just as I was about to pick her up, paramedics rushed in with a stretcher and Dad pulled me aside. 

"I wasn't sure what I'd walk into," Katie muttered beside me. "I even called the fire department."

I stifled a laugh and appreciated my sister more than anything. "Thanks, Katie. You've proved to be the smartest one in the family."

"Hey now," Katie nudged me softly. "I only said that stuff to you because I was mad. I didn't know you had a master plan to catch Kelsey."

"How'd you find me?"

"Find my phone," Katie smugly replied. "It wasn't the first time I used that app to spy on you."

"No, let me go!" Mila shouted weakly when the paramedics tried to get her on the stretcher. 

I was at her side in a heartbeat and took her hand in mine. "Milo, they're here to help you. I'll be by your side, don't worry."

Mila licked her dry lips, and it took her a moment to recognize me. "Promise?"

I kissed her knuckles. "I promise."

The police wanted to talk to me, but my parents and the paramedics insisted I needed medical attention first. I was allowed to ride with Mila in the ambulance to the hospital with my family following us. 

Mila's vitals seemed alright, but her blood pressure was very low due to blood loss. I held her hand throughout the ride and assured her she was safe. I hoped she would've physically and mentally recovered. I could've only imagined how she felt stuck in that awful place with that son of a bitch. Mila refused to let anyone touch her until I assured her that I was there and that scared the hell out of me. I hoped and prayed to whatever was out there that the son of a bitch didn't touch her. 

Unfortunately, we had to separate once we reached the hospital. Mila needed more urgent care than me, so I sent Mom to her side. Dad was with me as the doctor examined whatever wounds I had and then insisted I get an x-ray of my back.

Each second felt like an eternity and I must've asked Dad to call mom and check Mila's progress every second. 

"Relax," Dad comforted. "Mila will be fine. I know she's your priority, but you need to focus on yourself right now. Mila is in safe hands and Carly is at her side."

"I'm fine, Dad," I grew agitated. 

"I will believe that once the x-ray proves your spine isn't injured."

After the many tests that were conducted, I was advised to spend the night in the hospital for observation. My spine was fine, but the doctor wanted to make sure there was no internal bleeding or kidney injury from the harsh impact of the steel. 

Mom walked into the room and I felt like I finally could've breathed. "How is she?"

"She's stable," Mom replied. "How are you feeling?"

"What do you mean stable? The last time I heard that she almost died!"

Mom placed her hand over mine. "It's not the same as the last time. She's going to be alright. The next twelve to twenty-four hours are a little grey but her injuries aren't half as bad as before."

"But?" Fear was thick in my tone. 

"She has some internal bleeding and a concussion from the head injury. As suspected, her ribs are bruised and she has second-stage hypothermia. It was below freezing in that room, and she barely had a sweater on but that's nothing to be too worried about."

A lump built in my throat and I felt guilty for what happened. Mila found herself in danger once again because of me. I curled my hands into fists and anger, pain and remorse filled me. I wanted to scream or shout but nothing would've helped. 

"Mitch, honey," Mom made me look at her. "Don't work yourself up. Mila will be alright."

I gulped. "Do you know if she was..." I paused and the words couldn't leave my mouth. 

Mom understood and gently squeezed my hand. "There were no signs, but we'll only know for sure once she's awake and can talk to us."

I lowered my head and felt fucking hopeless. I wished I never allowed Kelsey back into my life. I wanted to see her suffer more than the pain she inflicted on Mila. 

"Can I see her?"

Mom appeared skeptical. "She's asleep and will be for some time."

"I don't care. I just want to see her."

Mom nodded and together we made our way out. I got flashbacks from the time Mila was in the accident and it made my stomach churn. Mila was in a private room and not ICU so that gave me some relief. 

As I was about to enter her room, I heard a familiar voice shout my name. 

"Clarke!" Damien Brinson, worried sick, rushed over. 

Here we go again.

A/N Hi everyone! I'm so sorry for such a delayed update. I was away for a while and only got back this week. I tried to write as quickly as I could.
Only 2 chapters left and then it's over.
I hope you enjoyed this one.

Let me know your thoughts,
Till then,
Tina

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

104K 1.7K 54
"I try so hard to be just friends but you sure don't make it easy." He averts his gaze from mine, and I wish he'd just look me in the face. "I don't...
6.9K 1.6K 39
'No, he didn't'. I was so shocked by the turn of events. Everything was going fine and then suddenly boom, everything turned upside down. I just coul...
93.4K 1.4K 15
He brought his hands up and tucked my hair behind my ear. coming closer to my ear "Do i arouse you?" he whispered, making my knees weak "I can feel...